View Poll Results: What do you consider to be the road with the worst traffic in the state of New Jersey?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • US Route 1

6 40.00%
  • US Route 9

1 6.67%
  • Garden State Parkway

1 6.67%
  • New Jersey Turnpike

1 6.67%
  • Interstate 80

1 6.67%
  • Interstate 295

1 6.67%
  • Other

4 26.67%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Road with worst traffic conditions in New Jersey

Default Road with worst traffic conditions in New Jersey

What do you consider to be the road with the worst traffic in the state of New Jersey?

If you choose other, please post your answer below.
    Sincerely,
    Anthony

NJ & You, Perfect Together

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

I'm not sure actually. It depends on what stretch you are talking about, what time of day as well as season. The Parkway is very well named during the summer on Fridays. I generally have no problem with Rt 1 unless it's at 5:00 going south bound (although between North Brunswick and Woodbridge it can get bad). Never had any problems with the Turnpike at all. Usually I see that it gets backed up south of the Jamesburg exit (8A) where the truck and car lanes merge.

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDevil
    I'm not sure actually. It depends on what stretch you are talking about, what time of day as well as season. The Parkway is very well named during the summer on Fridays. I generally have no problem with Rt 1 unless it's at 5:00 going south bound (although between North Brunswick and Woodbridge it can get bad). Never had any problems with the Turnpike at all. Usually I see that it gets backed up south of the Jamesburg exit (8A) where the truck and car lanes merge.
    Good point.

Perhaps I should have been more specific in the stretches of roads chosen and the time of day.

The time of day will be Rush hours (Morning or Afternoon).
    I think I will let the roads stand as is. If people wish to elaborate on a particular stretch of road, they are more than welcome to indicate that below.
    Sincerely,
    Anthony

They're going to be taking out the light by Nassau Park just north of Quakerbridge Mall on Rt 1. This will relieve some of the congestion in the area supposedly - but now I will not be able to go north bound on Rt 1 without exiting off of Quaker Bridge Rd. I shop at Wegmans.

You know where I think the WORST traffic is or some of the worst anyway. Hoopers Rd jughandle on Rt 37 heading toward Seaside Heights. That jughandle is a MESS. It gets backed-up because it's not a normal jughandle - it contains three two stop signs and basically one has to go on three roads to get to the Ocean County Mall. I have now taken to going past the Hooper Rd jughandle and making a U turn at the next jughandle and then making a right onto Hoopers Rd.

They're going to be taking out the light by Nassau Park just north of Quakerbridge Mall on Rt 1. This will relieve some of the congestion in the area supposedly - but now I will not be able to go north bound on Rt 1 without exiting off of Quaker Bridge Rd. I shop at Wegmans.

You know where I think the WORST traffic is or some of the worst anyway. Hoopers Rd jughandle on Rt 37 heading toward Seaside Heights. That jughandle is a MESS. It gets backed-up because it's not a normal jughandle - it contains three two stop signs and basically one has to go on three roads to get to the Ocean County Mall. I have now taken to going past the Hooper Rd jughandle and making a U turn at the next jughandle and then making a right onto Hoopers Rd.
    They have improved that jughandle a little bit. The jughandle still gets backed up under heavy traffic, but it is a little better.
    Sincerely,
    Anthony

Traffic on the Garden State Parkway is being improved with the use of alternating toll booths. (Currently at the Asbury, Raritan, and Union toll plazas)

http://www.state.nj.us/turnpike/oneway.htm

NJ Construction Updates on other state roads
    Sincerely,
    Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by MITHRANDIR
    What do you consider to be the road with the worst traffic in the state of New Jersey?

If you choose other, please post your answer below.
    Routes 9 and 37 are pretty bad. But they're actually fixing up 37 this week as they've got most of the road blocked off for the road crews. Route 9 has an extreme amount of pot holes which have needed to be fixed for about 5-10 years now. The road is also one lane in both directions for a vast majority of its stretch. And not to mention the 50 to 30mph speed changes which have no obvous speed limit signs.

- Skatin.
    Rabid Land BBS
    http://RabidLand.StaticSilence.net

37 is terrible. My cousin lives in beachwood and if we meet at the Ocean County Mall - I do not take the jug hangle that goes to the mall on 37 (hoopers rd) - I go past that and then back track. It's just a mess there. In the summer it's even worse. I take the backroads during the summer and avoid 70 and 37 as much as possible. I'd rather go south to Beechwood and have to come back north a short ways on the parkway - then get stuck in the summertime traffic on 70 and 37.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

Tourist

Exclamation South Jersey has traffic, too

You are right! Rt. 70 through Ocean County is bumper to bumper, especially in Brick and Lakewood. Rt. 37 is solid with cars during the winter; during the summer it's often a parking lot. Try Rt 73 in Camden County for close to Demolition Derby conditions. Rt 130 in Burlington County - terrible. NJ ignores the southern half of the state. For at least 40 years, there has been talk about widening Rt 9 from Lakewood south. It still hasn't happened.

One of the key contributors of traffic I have found is the endless building of mega-developments. The thing is, they're often built on the edge of one town, which then obvisouly affects the roads and quality of life in the surrounding towns. Either New Jerseyans are blind or something - but when a mega-development goes in - it affects roads for miles around. Plainsobro recently put in a development along the D&R canal just south of Kingston on a backwoods road (right across from the StJoseph Seminary). This development contains a HUGE amount of town houses. Well these people have to get to work and the store somehow. Now all these cars will be driving on country roads. Kingston isn't happy because it's basically a small colonial town and can not support the traffic without completely changing the character of the town.

At 5:00pm - even as early as 4:30pm, Rt 1 by Plainsboro is a parking lot. This then causes Plainsboro/Scudders Mill Rd to become a parking lot. I have actually gone NORTH on Rt 1, and turned around to go South on Rt 1 - so I wouldn't be waiting in stop dead traffic on the off ramp of Scudders Mill Rd. Another example is with develpment along Dey Rd. Because of so many people wanting to make a left at the Dey Rd and Scudders Mill Rd intersection - it backs up traffic on Scudders Milll Rd. The left hand turn lane is no longer long enough, so then it basically forces Scudders Mill Rd down to a one lane road as cars extend into the one lane waiting to get into the left hand turn lane. This all causes traffic problems.

Plainsboro is currently building the village center, which will be mixed use with businesses, retail and apartments. I completely support this kind of building, although there is a one problem with what Plainsboro did. They didn't put it in the center of the population. They did put it across the street from CVS, the grocery store and bank, but they should have put it where the Adult Community is being built and the Adult Community should have been built where the Village Center is going. That is more central, people in the adult community would have been able to walk just across the street to the grocery store. The Plainsboro Village would have been the same distance for them, yet within walking distance to the concentration of apartments in the area. Now in order to go to the Village Center, most people living in the apartments will have to drive, because it's about an hour walk.

I fully support mixed use development - especially with mega-developments. It should be a requirement that if you have so many people living there, that some sort of retail MUST go in. Otherwise what happens is that even if a person needs a carton of milk, they need to get into their car and drive and contribute to the traffic problem. We should encourge SMART development to help ease the traffic problems.

I would like to see more building and development going on in the cities - let's restore the cities, let's help prevent bottlenect traffic in the small towns and suburbs.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

New Jersey Proud!

Tourist

One of the key contributors of traffic I have found is the endless building of mega-developments. The thing is, they're often built on the edge of one town, which then obvisouly affects the roads and quality of life in the surrounding towns. Either New Jerseyans are blind or something - but when a mega-development goes in - it affects roads for miles around. Plainsobro recently put in a development along the D&R canal just south of Kingston on a backwoods road (right across from the StJoseph Seminary). This development contains a HUGE amount of town houses. Well these people have to get to work and the store somehow. Now all these cars will be driving on country roads. Kingston isn't happy because it's basically a small colonial town and can not support the traffic without completely changing the character of the town.

At 5:00pm - even as early as 4:30pm, Rt 1 by Plainsboro is a parking lot. This then causes Plainsboro/Scudders Mill Rd to become a parking lot. I have actually gone NORTH on Rt 1, and turned around to go South on Rt 1 - so I wouldn't be waiting in stop dead traffic on the off ramp of Scudders Mill Rd. Another example is with develpment along Dey Rd. Because of so many people wanting to make a left at the Dey Rd and Scudders Mill Rd intersection - it backs up traffic on Scudders Milll Rd. The left hand turn lane is no longer long enough, so then it basically forces Scudders Mill Rd down to a one lane road as cars extend into the one lane waiting to get into the left hand turn lane. This all causes traffic problems.

Plainsboro is currently building the village center, which will be mixed use with businesses, retail and apartments. I completely support this kind of building, although there is a one problem with what Plainsboro did. They didn't put it in the center of the population. They did put it across the street from CVS, the grocery store and bank, but they should have put it where the Adult Community is being built and the Adult Community should have been built where the Village Center is going. That is more central, people in the adult community would have been able to walk just across the street to the grocery store. The Plainsboro Village would have been the same distance for them, yet within walking distance to the concentration of apartments in the area. Now in order to go to the Village Center, most people living in the apartments will have to drive, because it's about an hour walk.

I fully support mixed use development - especially with mega-developments. It should be a requirement that if you have so many people living there, that some sort of retail MUST go in. Otherwise what happens is that even if a person needs a carton of milk, they need to get into their car and drive and contribute to the traffic problem. We should encourge SMART development to help ease the traffic problems.

I would like to see more building and development going on in the cities - let's restore the cities, let's help prevent bottlenect traffic in the small towns and suburbs.

Arrow

I agree with the need for SMART development. SMART development will be a good situation for most people involved. (reduce the amount of traffic on local roads, make it more convenient for people to walk and/or use bicycles to work or retail stores, improve the environment -- less polution, less noise, less wear/tear on infrastructure, less use of fuel, tec.)

Mercer and Middlesex counties are unfortunately not the only places with poor planning with regards of these mega-development complexes. There are many parts of Ocean and Monmouth County with large scale development. In Brick Twp. (Ocean) State Route 70 from Lakewood to Brielle (Monmouth Cty) is lined with commercial development on both sides of the road. If you need to get through during rush hour you will be riding through a sea of red brake lights.

Route 70 near Cherry Hill and Route 73 on the other side of the State is in a similar state of congestion.

If the cities are improved, I think that people would be willing to move "back" to the cities. The improvement will not be overnight since the problems that have occured in the cities did not occur overnight.

[/minor rant]
    Sincerely,
    Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by MITHRANDIR
    I agree with the need for SMART development. SMART development will be a good situation for most people involved. (reduce the amount of traffic on local roads, make it more convenient for people to walk and/or use bicycles to work or retail stores, improve the environment -- less polution, less noise, less wear/tear on infrastructure, less use of fuel, tec.)
    The problem is - when will New Jerseyans give up local control of their building. Everything is home rule in NJ and the local politicians don't want to give up the power. Their attiude - "who cares that there's a nice colonial town with a great main street with mom and pop stores and restaurants bordering my town - I want to build a mega-mall on that border with 15 restaurants to bring in the rateables."
    Mercer and Middlesex counties are unfortunately not the only places with poor planning with regards of these mega-development complexes. There are many parts of Ocean and Monmouth County with large scale development. In Brick Twp. (Ocean) State Route 70 from Lakewood to Brielle (Monmouth Cty) is lined with commercial development on both sides of the road. If you need to get through during rush hour you will be riding through a sea of red brake lights.

Route 70 near Cherry Hill and Route 73 on the other side of the State is in a similar state of congestion.
    Oh - I know that. It's interesting the two examples you chose. I grew up in Bricktown and I can't believe how congested it has become - although my area where I grew up is still residential - Michigan Ave off of Lanes Mill Rd. As for 70 and 73 - I was just their today. It is a mess, although I think the Toms River/Bricktown area has it beat. For a real mess you should try Stelton Rd which extends from Edison to Piscataway.
    If the cities are improved, I think that people would be willing to move "back" to the cities. The improvement will not be overnight since the problems that have occured in the cities did not occur overnight.
    There actually has been a lot of improvements going on - but people have to forget about the past. There isn't enough marketing of the great changes going on in New Jersey's cities. If people don't know about the changes in Newark, New Brunswick, Trenton, Jersey City, etc, then it almost doesn't matter. Restraurants, cultural centers and great apartments can all be built, but if their isn't the marketing - they will go out of business because people are still thinking of the past and aren't going into the cities. First peopl need to go in to VISIT the cities, then they will start to move back. That is one of the reasons why I support the Devils Arena so much in Newark.

New Jersey Proud!

New Jersey Tour Guide

Smile traffic

Hi Jersey Devil, I do not see the Parkway as being bad at all at any time. Sometimes there are lines for the toll booths but that's it. I think route 70 is packed at certain hours. Actually the traffic flows pretty smoothly in New Jersey unless you get caught in a circle or something during rush hour. lol. Marianita
    Last edited by Marianita; 03-06-2006 at 12:27 AM.

Recent Resident

Default Rt 18

Rt 18 from Piscataway to East Brunswick is always a parking lot, especially once you pass the Turnpike entrance and get into the shopping district. It usually takes me 30 min to drive 5 miles to get from Piscataway to Rt 1 after work.

New Jersey Tour Guide Jersey Warren's Avatar

Default Route 37

37 is terrible. My cousin lives in beachwood and if we meet at the Ocean County Mall - I do not take the jug hangle that goes to the mall on 37 (hoopers rd) - I go past that and then back track. It's just a mess there. In the summer it's even worse. I take the backroads during the summer and avoid 70 and 37 as much as possible. I'd rather go south to Beechwood and have to come back north a short ways on the parkway - then get stuck in the summertime traffic on 70 and 37.
    JD, this post REALLY makes me feel at home, though I've never actually lived in Toms River. My family moved there in 1968 and they lived on a little side street right off 37, just a very short block (composed of a 7-11 and a WaWa) West of Oak Ridge Parkway [County Road 527]. That's a busy intersection across 37 from Lakehurst Road, whichs splits off 37 on an angle. Years ago, you could come out of my family's street (Rail Place, off Germania Court) and make a left on 37 (if you were brave enough.) About ten years ago, they put a barrier down the highway, and then you had to make a right on 37 (West) to the Blue Jay Drive jughandle and backtrack.

My Mom gave up her house earlier this year and now lives at an assisted living facility on Old Freehold Road [County Road 623].

I am VERY familiar with Hooper Avenue because that's where St. Joseph's Cemetary is, where two of my grandparents, my Dad, and a younger brother who was killed in a car crash 25 years ago are all buried. In fact, when we are in New Jersey in the fall, I am considering buying a cemetary plot there where my bones can rest in Toms River (just off Hooper Avenue) until doomsday! This may sound morbid, but even though I've spent most of my adult life out of New Jersey, I eventually want to "go home."

We were at the Ocean County Mall on our last trip back there, 3 years ago. We had Nathan's hot dogs at the food court for lunch.

If you continue on Hooper Avenue, it takes you past several of the schools my brothers attended growing up, including Ocean County College.

Before my Mom gave up driving last year, she was pretty good at finding her way around Toms River and avoiding 37, especially during the summer months. Her office was in downtown T.R. and she had to learn how to get around the shore traffic that runs all the way to Seaside Heights in the summer. The summer traffic between the Parkway and Seaside was actually worse years ago, when they only had one bridge (a draw bridge) across Barnegat Bay between T.R. and S.H., instead of the two they have now (and they built the second bridge higher). But no matter how you slice it, you picked a good candidate for the worst traffic award!
    Last edited by Jersey Warren; 04-21-2006 at 02:05 PM.

New Jersey Tour Guide Jersey Warren's Avatar

There actually has been a lot of improvements going on - but people have to forget about the past. There isn't enough marketing of the great changes going on in New Jersey's cities. If people don't know about the changes in Newark, New Brunswick, Trenton, Jersey City, etc, then it almost doesn't matter. Restraurants, cultural centers and great apartments can all be built, but if their isn't the marketing - they will go out of business because people are still thinking of the past and aren't going into the cities. First peopl need to go in to VISIT the cities, then they will start to move back. That is one of the reasons why I support the Devils Arena so much in Newark.
    My brother, Greg (the one from Red Bank) works at NJIT in Newark. He's always talking about the city's comeback, the great restaurants, grocery stores, etc. On one of our recent trips back, we left our car at the NJIT parking lot and took Newark's subway. I lived in N.J. for 22 years and never even knew Newark HAD a subway! I used to go there only for my draft board physical!

New Jerseyan

Default Newark Subway

The Newark subway is the old Morris canal .
    NEW JERSEY HISTORY SECOND TO NONE !

New Jersey Tour Guide

Smile New Jersey traffic

I agree that route 70 can be awfully busy. There is a jug handle there and when you exit you merge with other cars and it turns into one lane. That can be pretty scary when the traffic is at it's heaviest. Cherry Hill has a lot of traffic , is that route 73? Anyway it seems to me that Cherry Hill always has a lot of traffic. I may have been there at a busy time. And that circle in Marlton has to be seen to be believed. lol Marianita

Route 3 east or west during rushhour is a mess.