Thread: Classical Music

Default Classical Music

Every board needs one of my Classical Music Threads, and this place is no exception.

How about we start out with what we listen to and know about it?

Fav composers:

Berlioz
    Mozart
    Dvorak
    Shostakovich
    Bach

Default Classical???

Is Springsteen considered Classical yet?
    DAVE GERING
    MANAGER JERSEY STORE EWR

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by davegering
    Is Springsteen considered Classical yet?
    I don't think he's classical yet. He may be pushing close to being considered classic rock - but I think even for that he has a little bit to go yet.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

hmm...No, I think you have to die to be considered for classic

I congratulate myself!
    I wrote a piece for piano about a week ago...it sounded horrid when I played it. But my music teacher played it for about an hour ago, it was...very nice

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aeneas
    I congratulate myself!
    I wrote a piece for piano about a week ago...it sounded horrid when I played it. But my music teacher played it for about an hour ago, it was...very nice
    Too bad you can't post it online so we can hear it. So is it fast, slow? oes it sound like anything we might have heard before?
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

It's not very individual. But at least it works, and it doesnt sound like it came out of a distorted clock.
    It's a slowish tempo, adante to be exact ("walking pace").
    "What! Me, vain? How can you say that about such an awesome person?"

New Jersey Tour Guide Jersey Warren's Avatar

Smile Vivaldi

I occasionally enjoy classical music, but I don't know a lot about it. I'm pretty much limited to Strauss waltzes and Vivaldi's Four Seasons. In Italian that's Quattro Stagioni. They also have a quattro stagioni pizza in Italy, which is divided into four quarters, each with its own topping.

Tourist

I'll probably get a lot of thumbs down from purists for this but that's okay. When my niece decided she wanted to learn about classical music, I bought her one of those "highlights from" or anthology tapes. They give you small samples of a lot of classical pieces from a lot of composers from a lot of different periods. You can also try listening to classical stations on the radio. When you hear something you like, write down the name and the composer.

My favorites are Mozart, Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, and Puccini (opera).

New Jersey Tour Guide Jersey Warren's Avatar

Thumbs up Thanks for the suggestion!

Quote Originally Posted by kalai View Post
    I'll probably get a lot of thumbs down from purists for this but that's okay. When my niece decided she wanted to learn about classical music, I bought her one of those "highlights from" or anthology tapes. They give you small samples of a lot of classical pieces from a lot of composers from a lot of different periods. You can also try listening to classical stations on the radio. When you hear something you like, write down the name and the composer.

My favorites are Mozart, Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, and Puccini (opera).
    You won't get a thumbs down from me. I enjoy good music but I'm not a music snob. And I admit my knowledge of classical music is very limited and I appreciate every opportunity to increase my knowledge of it.

Tourist

Classical music is often distinguished by its wide use of instruments of varying tones and pitches to create a deep, rich sound. The different movements of classical music were affected largely by the invention and modification of instruments throughout time. While classical music has no "set" of instruments required to fulfill certain standards, composers wrote for orchestras, wind ensembles, or various combinations of instruments for chamber music. Not to be forgotten is the human voice, which has invented its own series of classical music, the Opera. It was not uncommon for classical composers to also write solo pieces for a specific instrument, accompanied by piano or whatever group the composer deemed fit.