Thread: R.U. womens Basketball

New Jerseyan

Default R.U. womens Basketball

Off to the national championship game we go. Outstanding game tonight by our Lady Knights! Wear red Tuesday to support the women. GO R.U.
    NEW JERSEY HISTORY SECOND TO NONE !

I've had my hat on at work all week go LADY KNIGHTS
    DAVE GERING
    MANAGER JERSEY STORE EWR

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by NJPRIDE
    Off to the national championship game we go. Outstanding game tonight by our Lady Knights! Wear red Tuesday to support the women. GO R.U.
    The Lady Knights will have a good challenge against TENN.

I think it will be great if they pull the upset against TENN.
    Sincerely,
    Anthony

NJ & You, Perfect Together

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

I wanted to post about the Rutgers Women's Basketball Team for sometime now. Just been very very busy. I really hope they win against Tennessee tonight.

My cousin went up to the Devils game and it seems like New JERSEY FINALLY did something good. Along the Turnpike and Parkway they have the electronic signs saying "GO Rutgers!". About frigging time New Jersey started blowing it's own horn!

BTW - why the hell do the announcers describe New Jersey as "gritty"? Is that the only thing they think it is? To me 90% of New Jersey is NOT gritty. I would describe only the northeast section - Newark, Perth Amboy, Elizabeth as being "gritty". New Brunswick - if the announcers have ever been there - should know that it is far from "gritty" - but surrounded by woodland. Oh well most of the announcers are probably from Naw Yawk anyway and don't any know better - just like tonight during the Devils game they keep showing images of the New York skyline. I guess New York just hates living in the shadow of New Jersey's great sports teams.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

Default Don Imus and the Rutgers Basketball Team

I've wanted to comment on the situation with Don Imus and the Rutgers team since it started. I think what he said was despicable. However, why is it only Don Imus on the hotseat? Everything I have read say that producer Bernard McGuirk said they were "Some hardcore hos." Now why isn't he getting the same treatment? Is it only because Imus said - "nappy-headed" which singled out the black players? I just think that for him to call the Rutgers Basketball players a bunch of whores is outrageous.

I would also like to know why there isn't so much outrage over rap and hip-hop lyrics. I am glad that is finally being asked. But they are constantly demeaning black women in their lyrics. if you listen to rap or see the videos, black women are often just shown as sexual objects and as property.

This story has become an international story. Here are some articles from various sources...

MSNBC, CBS take Imus off air for 2 weeks
    POSTED: 10:58 a.m. EDT, April 10, 2007

NEW YORK (CNN) -- MSNBC and CBS Radio are suspending Don Imus for two weeks after the radio host described the Rutgers University women's basketball team as "nappy-headed hos," the networks said Monday.

The suspensions start April 16, and MSNBC's "future relationship" with Imus depends on "his ability to live up to his word," according to a statement from NBC News. The cable news channel simulcasts a television version of Imus' radio show.

"His dedication -- in his words -- to change the discourse on his program moving forward, has confirmed for us that this action is appropriate," the statement said. (Watch Imus on the Rev. Al Sharpton's show Video)

Shortly afterward, CBS announced plans to suspend its broadcast of Imus' radio program for the same two weeks.

The flap began Wednesday, the day after Rutgers lost the NCAA women's title to Tennessee. Imus told listeners, "That's some rough girls from Rutgers."

"Man, they got tattoos," he said. "That's some nappy-headed hos there, I'm going to tell you that now."

Imus apologized for the remark Friday and repeated the apology Monday, telling listeners, "I'm embarrassed that I did that."

"I'm a good person, but I said a bad thing," he said. "But these young women deserve to know that it was not said with malice." (Watch how some say "sorry" isn't enough Video)
    Imus: 'No excuse' for remark

Imus went on civil rights leader the Rev. Al Sharpton's syndicated radio show Monday and said there was "no excuse" for his remark.

"I'm not thinking it's a racial insult that's being uttered at somebody at the time. It's in the process of trying to rap and be funny." he said. But he added, "I wish I hadn't said it. I'm sorry I said it." (CNN's Jeanne Moos on the Apology Hall of Fame Video)

For Sharpton, the apology was not enough. He told CNN's "The Situation Room" on Monday, "We want him fired."

"He hit a lot of us where we live," he said. "A lot of us that have condemned a lot of the language and gangster rap and a lot of language on the radio and said to kids, 'You have to quit using negative words.' How do we go back to tell our kids to clean up their words when you can call some exemplary young women this, and we say nothing and extract no punishment to protect their integrity and self-esteem?"

The National Association of Black Journalists has called for the veteran "shock jock" to be fired as well. Brian Monroe, the group's president, said Imus and his sidekicks have a long history of making crude racial and sexual comments.

"The only consequence we can imagine, that suits the words that he said, is for him to hang it up," Monroe said on Sharpton's program.

Also Monday, speaking at a demonstration outside NBC's studio in Chicago, Illinois, the Rev. Jesse Jackson said Imus' mistake goes beyond an insult.

"This was not a slip of lip. This was a point of view," he said.

On the Rutgers campus, Imus' words have been met with outrage. University President Richard McCormick called the remarks "disgraceful, disgusting and racist."

"[The women's basketball team] represented Rutgers in an exemplary fashion of which we are extraordinarily proud, and then he says that. Why, why, why, why, why?" McCormick said.

New Jersey Gov. Jon Corzine further condemned Imus' words and said, "There is absolutely no excuse for his conduct, and he is right to apologize. Only the Rutgers women's basketball team, however, can decide to accept his apology."

The Rutgers women's basketball team is expected to hold a news conference Tuesday morning.
    McCain: 'I'm a believer in redemption'

But Imus' show continues to draw top-level guests from the world of politics -- and one of those, Republican presidential contender Sen. John McCain, said Monday he would continue to appear on the show.

"I'm a great believer in redemption," the senator from Arizona told reporters in Phoenix. "Whether he needs to do more in order to satisfy the concerns of people like the members of that team, that's something that's between him and them."

But syndicated columnist Clarence Page said candidates may need to answer for their appearances on the show, "just as if they belonged to a country club that discriminates."

Howard Kurtz, media critic for The Washington Post and host of CNN's "Reliable Sources," said Imus is known for his comedy, but, he said "the problem is ... his comedy too often strays into the offensive."

Kurtz, whom Imus once called a "boner-nosed, beanie-wearing Jew boy," said Imus may now understand that his remarks about the Rutgers team crossed the line.

"Imus should be held accountable for some of these offensive things that he says, but there is also a good side to Don Imus, and I don't think that should be completely obliterated in all of this chest thumping," he said.
    The story has even gone international as demonstrated on this article from BBC.
    US DJ suspended over racist slur

US disc jockey Don Imus has been suspended for making racist comments by both the radio and television outlets that broadcast his morning talk show.

CBS Radio and MSNBC said he would be off air for two weeks from next Monday.

Public protest grew after his reference last week to the mostly black members of the Rutgers University women's basketball team as "nappy-headed hos."

"Ho" is slang for prostitute and "nappy-headed" is a derogatory term for the hair of many black people.

The so-called "shock jock" has a history of making controversial comments. However, this time he provoked nationwide calls for his sacking and a boycott of his sponsors.

Mr Imus has said he will not resign but has made several public apologies.

'Repugnant'

During his Imus in the Morning programme on Monday, he said: "I'm not a bad person. I'm a good person who said something bad."

'Repugnant'
    During his Imus in the Morning programme on Monday, he said: "I'm not a bad person. I'm a good person who said something bad."

"Here's what I've learned: that you can't make fun of everybody, because some people don't deserve it."

He also appeared on a radio programme hosted by the Reverend Al Sharpton, a leading black civil rights leader demanding his dismissal.

During the broadcast, Mr Imus referred to his own remarks as "repugnant" and "repulsive".

"Our agenda is to try to be funny and sometimes we go too far, and sometimes we go way too far," Mr Imus told Rev Sharpton.

In a statement, MSNBC said the talk show would be monitored following the suspension and that Imus had agreed to "change the discourse on his programme".

"Our future relationship with Imus is contingent on his ability to live up to his word," the network said.

Imus's radio show had about 3.5 million listeners per week in 2005, according to media research and the MSNBC simulcast is estimated to draw about 330,000 viewers per week.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

New Jersey Proud!

Here is a long article from ESPN.com

Rutgers women's team, coach speak out

PISCATAWAY, N.J. -- The Rutgers administration and women's basketball team blasted Don Imus' "despicable" remarks Tuesday, but stopped short of saying he should be fired and agreed to meet with the embattled radio host.

Starting Monday, Imus will be suspended for two weeks for calling the Rutgers players "nappy-headed hos."

Rutgers athletic director, Robert E. Mulcahey III, thought a meeting with Imus offered the team's players a chance to listen to him and hear what he has to say. Several players said they wanted to ask the host why he would make such thoughtless statements.

"We all agreed the meeting with Mr. Imus will help," Essence Carson, a member of the team that lost the NCAA women's championship game to Tennessee last week, said. "We do hope to get something accomplished during this meeting."

Teammate Matee Ajavon said: "I could say that we honestly don't know what to expect from Don Imus and what we will plan on asking him is his reasons and how you could just say things that you have not put any thought to? Right now I can't really say if we have come to a conclusion of whether we will accept the apology. What I can say I think this meeting will be crucial for us, the state of New Jersey and everybody representing us."

"Unless they've given 'ho' a whole new definition, that's not what I am," said another player, Kia Vaughn.

Head coach C. Vivian Stringer said her players "are the best this nation has to offer, and we are so very fortunate to have them at Rutgers University. They are young ladies of class, distinction. They are articulate, they are gifted. They are God's representatives in every sense of the word."

She said it's not about the players "as black or nappy-headed. It's about us as a people. When there is not equality for all, or when there has been denied equality for one, there has been denied equality for all."

She further said: "While they worked hard in the classroom and accomplished so much and used their gifts and talents, you know, to bring the smiles and the pride within this state in so many people, we had to experience racist and sexist remarks that are deplorable, despicable, and abominable and unconscionable. It hurts me."

In Washington, White House spokeswoman Dana Perino was asked if President Bush thought Imus' punishment was strong enough.

"The president believed that the apology was the absolute right thing to do," Perino said Tuesday. "And beyond that, I think that his employer is going to have to make a decision about any action that they take based on it."

Imus started the firestorm after the Rutgers team, which includes eight black women, lost the championship game. He was speaking with producer Bernard McGuirk and said "that's some rough girls from Rutgers. Man, they got tattoos ..."

"Some hardcore hos," McGuirk said.

"That's some nappy-headed hos there, I'm going to tell you that," Imus said.

Imus' comments about the Rutgers players struck a chord, in part, because it was aimed at a group of young women enjoying athletic success.

It also came in a different public atmosphere following the Michael Richards and Mel Gibson incidents, said Eric Deggans, columnist for the St. Petersburg Times and chairman of the media monitoring committee of the National Association of Black Journalists. The NABJ's governing board, which doesn't include Deggans, wants Imus canned.

"What I did was make a stupid, idiotic mistake in a comedy context," Imus said on his show Tuesday morning, the final week before his suspension starts.

Asked by NBC "Today" host Matt Lauer if he could clean up his act as he promised on Monday, he said, "Well, perhaps I can't." But he added, "I have a history of keeping my word."

Of the two-week suspension by MSNBC and CBS Radio, he said: "I think it's appropriate, and I am going to try to serve it with some dignity."

The Rev. Al Sharpton also appeared on "Today" and called the suspension "not nearly enough. I think it is too little, too late." He said presidential candidates and other politicians should refrain from going on Imus' show in the future.

Comic Bill Maher, CBS News political analyst Jeff Greenfield and former Carter administration official Hamilton Jordan all appeared on Imus' show Tuesday.

Imus, who appeared on Sharpton's syndicated radio program for two hours Monday, accused the minister of lacking courage for refusing an invitation to appear on "Imus in the Morning." Sharpton said he couldn't tell people not to watch the show and then appear on it. "It's not about courage," he said.

MSNBC, which telecasts the radio show, said Imus' expressions of regret and embarrassment, coupled with his stated dedication to changing the show's discourse, made it believe suspension was the appropriate response.

"Our future relationship with Imus is contingent on his ability to live up to his word," the network said late Monday.

Imus, who has made a career of cranky insults in the morning, was fighting for his job following the joke that by his own admission went "way too far." He continued through the day Monday, both on his show and Sharpton's.

The Rev. Jesse Jackson, who marched with about 50 protesters Monday outside NBC offices in Chicago, said Imus' suspensions will not halt the protests.

"This is a two-week cooling off period," Jackson said. "It does not challenge the character of the show, its political impact, or the impact that these comments have had on our society."

Imus could be in real danger if the outcry causes advertisers to shy away from him, said Tom Taylor, editor of the trade publication Inside Radio. The National Organization for Women is also seeking Imus' ouster.

Imus isn't the most popular radio talk-show host -- the trade publication Talkers ranks him the 14th-most influential -- but his audience is heavy on the political and media elite that advertisers pay a premium to reach. Authors, journalists and politicians are frequent guests and targets for insults.

He has urged critics to recognize that his show is a comedy that spreads insults broadly. Imus or his cast have called Colin Powell a "weasel," New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson a "fat sissy," referred to Sen. Ben Nighthorse Campbell of Colorado, an American Indian, as "the guy from 'F Troop,'" and to Gwen Ifill, a black journalist, as "the cleaning lady." He and his colleagues also called the New York Knicks a group of "chest-thumping pimps."

On his show Monday, Imus called himself "a good person" who made a bad mistake.

"Here's what I've learned: that you can't make fun of everybody, because some people don't deserve it," he said. "And because the climate on this program has been what it's been for 30 years doesn't mean that it has to be that way for the next five years or whatever because that has to change, and I understand that."

Baseball star Cal Ripken Jr., who was to appear on Imus' show Tuesday to discuss a new book, canceled the appearance.

"He didn't want anyone getting the message that he agreed in any way, shape or form with the comments," said John Maroon, Ripken's publicist. "It was the right thing to do."

The "Today" show's Al Roker said Tuesday on his show's official blog that it was time for Imus to go. "I, for one, am really tired of the diatribes, the 'humor' at others' expense, the cruelty that passes for 'funny,'" Roker said.

Even Howard Stern of Sirius Satellite Radio, a big fan of unrestricted content, mocked Imus' apology, according to the New York Daily News. "He's apologizing like a guy who got his first broadcasting job," Stern said. "He should have said, '[expletive] you, it's a joke.'"

Arizona Republican Sen. John McCain, whose presidential candidacy has been backed by Imus on the air, said he would still appear on Imus' program.

"He has apologized," McCain said. "He said that he is deeply sorry. I'm a great believer in redemption."

Imus' radio show originates from WFAN in New York City and is syndicated nationally by Westwood One, both managed by CBS. The show reached an estimated 361,000 viewers on MSNBC in the first three months of the year, up 39 percent from last year. That's the best competitive position it has ever achieved against CNN (372,000 viewers).

Imus' fate could ultimately rest with two of the nation's most prominent media executives: CBS Corp. chief Leslie Moonves and Jeff Zucker, head of NBC Universal (which is owned by General Electric Co.).

"He will survive it if he stops apologizing so much," said Michael Harrison, publisher of Talkers. Imus clearly seems under corporate pressure to make amends, but he's nearly reached the point where he is alienating the fans who appreciate his grumpy outrageousness.

Even if he were to be fired, he's likely to land elsewhere in radio, Harrison said.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press
    CNN's Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer is interviewing Head coach C. Vivian Stringer.

New Jersey Proud!

Do people think that Imus should lose his job? Where does comedy begin and end? Why do black rappers get to say "nigger", ho, whore, demean black women with no response? Why does Bill Cosby get lamblasted by the black community when he says that black people should stop using these derogatory terms? This whole thing brings out a lot of questions, a lot of contradictions, and a lot of double standards. I personally don't like shock jocks and I hate shows that demean people - one of the reasons I refuse to watch American Idol. I think the world community, not just American - because it goes on in Europe and Canada too - like putting people down. The shows that make it generally are the ones that have conflict, with someone or a group of people hating one another. What does this say about society when people would rather see someone being put down, than someone helping someone out?

Instead of people just going with what is going on in the media with this whole thing, people should look at what they truly feel themselves. Do they have any problems listening to rap music or songs that treat women and others as property, that demeans people? Do people watch shows that put people down or revolve around causing conflict?

As an example - look at America's Funniest Home Videos. It used to be a lot of cute things with little kids doing funny things, now it revolves around people getting hurt in any number of ways. I haven't watched it for years because of this. Look at the lowest rated season of Real World - London version the highest rated - San Fransisco. A survey supposedly was done that showed that people didn't want to watch London - because the people in the house got along, while San Fransisco - the house had constant conflict between people particularly with Puck. My two favorite episodes happen to be Real World New York and London - because people did generally get along.

New Jersey Proud!

What Imus said was incensative and wrong but I do not think he should be fired. I watched the RUTGERS womens team pres conference today and they showed great class. They did not make it out to be A racial thing and avoided questions trying to get them to say that it was. They took it more as a disrespect to women in general which showed great class on their part. They have also reserved judgement on hin until they meet him later in the week and let him explain why he said what he said. He is a comedian that has turned more politcal over the years and that is why i do not listen to him any more he was one of my favorites.
    DAVE GERING
    MANAGER JERSEY STORE EWR

Dave I agree. I think the Rutgers team has shown the world that Don Imus is very ignorant, while they have shown themselves to be very intelligent and have the better class. I only saw sound bites from the press conference, but what I have seen and from the many interviews on tv - they have shown themselves with the better class, while Don Imus has looked more like a bitter old man. yeah, he's apologizing, but is it only because he's trying to save his career? I also don't think he should be fired for what he said - we do have freedom of speech here. However, if people stop watching his show and the ratings go down, then it's the audience that has decided that they don't support him and he would be fired for that.

I also feel that it's primarily a sexist issue, not a racist one. Al Sharpton - who I can't stand, always tries making things into a racist issue and fans the flames of racial tensions. Imus said they were "hos" which is a sexist term.

I really wish people could get beyond black vs white. Color in todays world shouldn't matter.

BTW - I don't even understand why he said what he said. Does he seem to think they're ghetto trash and they carry knifes and practically gang members? They go to school at one of the best universities in the country! Who knows maybe he said it because the girls go to a New Jersey University and therefore must be low class. Hell, as I pointed out in my first post in this thread, the tv announcers introduced the Rutgers team as being from "gritty New Jersey"

New Jersey Proud!

CNN also called Piscataway a Suberb of NY City
    DAVE GERING
    MANAGER JERSEY STORE EWR

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDevil
    Do people think that Imus should lose his job?
    No. Imus has said dumb and stupid things in the past. If that was a reason to fire him he would have been fired years ago. He lost his job due to advertisers pulling ads & money from his company.

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDevil
    Where does comedy begin and end? Why do black rappers get to say "nigger", ho, whore, demean black women with no response? Why does Bill Cosby get lamblasted by the black community when he says that black people should stop using these derogatory terms? This whole thing brings out a lot of questions, a lot of contradictions, and a lot of double standards.
    Good point.

Some people have tried to say that "ho", "bit**", "ni**er" are terms of endearment.

I must have missed those lessons in manners when I was young.

I think it is also offensive that J.Jackson and A. Sharpton are the ones leading the charge on what is right and decent. I would have felt much better if someone else was leading this crusade.

This being said, Imus has no one to blame but himself. The words came from his mouth. No one forced him to make the remarks that he did.

He has lived on the edge many times and this time he is burned.

(I did not realize that McGurk made similar remarks as well. Odd that he seems to be escaping from any direct fall out.)
    Sincerely,
    Anthony

NJ & You, Perfect Together

Well I tried posting this on the 15th, but I accidently closed the window before posting this.

Not only do I look out for New Jersey on the domestic front, but also look out for us and our institutions on an international front. The following article was on BBC.com...

Team accepts DJ's racism apology
    Rutgers coach C Vivian Stringer

The women's basketball team at the centre of a row over broadcaster Don Imus has accepted his apology for his use of racist language about them.

Mr Imus met the Rutgers team late on Thursday, hours after he was dismissed by US television and radio network CBS.

Their coach said the team was "in the process of forgiving" and hoped the row would be a catalyst for change.

Mr Imus had called the mostly black members of the Rutgers University team "nappy-headed hos" on his radio show.

"Ho" is slang for prostitute and "nappy-headed" is a derogatory term for the hair of many black people.

'Forgiving process'
    The row over the remarks culminated in the dismissal of Mr Imus, known as a controversial "shock jock", despite his repeated public apologies.

US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said on Friday his comments had been "disgusting" and Mr Imus deserved to lose his job.

"I'm very glad that there was, in fact, a consequence," Ms Rice said.

"I think that this kind of coarse language doesn't belong anywhere in reasonable dialogue between reasonable people," she said.

Mr Imus and his wife Deirdre met the Rutgers team at the mansion of New Jersey Governor Jon Corzine, who is critically ill after being involved in a car crash on his way to the meeting.

Reading from a statement on Friday, coach C Vivian Stringer said the team accepted Mr Imus' personal apology and were "in the process of forgiving".

"We still find his statements to be unacceptable, and this is an experience that we will never forget," she said.

"These comments are indicative of greater ills in our culture. It is not just Mr Imus, and we hope that this will be and serve as a catalyst for change.

"Let us continue to work hard to together to make this world a better place."

'Hate e-mail
    Mrs Imus, who co-hosted an annual charity radio show in her husband's place on Friday, said that he "feels awful".

"He asked them: I want to know the pain I caused, and I want to know how to fix this and change this," she said.

Mrs Imus said some of the Rutgers team had been receiving hate e-mail and she demanded that it stop.

"If you must send e-mail, send it to my husband," she said, adding that the Rutgers team members were "unbelievably courageous and beautiful women".

Civil rights leaders the Rev Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson, who had been calling for Mr Imus to be fired, welcomed his dismissal.

Contracts dropped
    CBS head Leslie Moonves told CBS staff in a memo that the decision to fire Mr Imus was an attempt to root out a culture of permissiveness that allowed people to be demeaned.

US cable TV company MSNBC said on Wednesday it was dropping its simulcast of Mr Imus's programme.

Several major companies had decided to cancel advertising contracts, and a number of high-profile guests said they would no longer appear on his show.

Mr Imus's show was worth about $15m (7.6m) annually to CBS through advertising and syndication fees, said Associated Press news agency.

It had about 3.5 million listeners a week in 2005, according to media research, and the MSNBC simulcast was estimated to draw about 330,000 viewers per week.
    Looking at the side bar of the article, they often give links to external sites which are related to the story. Low and behold, they have links to CBS and MSNBC - but where is the link to Rutgers? So I e-mailed them the following...

In your online articles concerning the Rutgers Basketball team
    and Imus's comments such as -
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6553603.stm - why don't you include
    the website for Rutgers University - http://www.rutgers.edu/ I would
    think it would be proper to include a link to the university that is in
    the middle of the controversy. You DO include links to CBS and MCNBC.

Also, you have a factual error in your article. It was not Governor
    Corzine's mansion that the Rutgers team and Imus met at - it was the New
    Jersey Governor's Mansion. The mansion belongs o the state, just like
    the White House belongs to America and not to George Bush or any other
    president.
    Robert Rosetta, New Jersey
    As you see, I also had a problem with them saying that they went to Governo JOn Corzine's mansion - since it isn't his nor any other governor's. It's the State of New Jersey's.

I received the following reply today...

Dear Mr Rosetta,
    We agree that a link to Rutgers University would have been appropriate
    and have added it to the news story. Our reference to 'the mansion of
    New Jersey Governor Jon Corzine' seems to us to be a reasonable
    description, although we appreciate that technically it is the property
    of the state. Thank you for taking the trouble to raise your concerns
    with us; we are grateful for your support.
    With best wishes,
    The BBC News website.
    I appreciate that they have now included a link to Rutgers University, for one thing - I think it was important for people to see the type of university these players are going to. I do however disagree with their assessment that describing the Governor's mansion as "the mansion of New Jersey Governor Jon Corzine" is a reasonable description. It makes it seem like it's taking place at his private mansion, which it was not.

What is a shame is that the Rutgers basketball team went much further than the Rutgers football team, but there was very little activity discussing their accomplishments here. They did an outstanding job and through all of this media attention have been very gracious I think. They should be not only commended for their game play, but also their attitude during all controversy with Don Imus.

New Jersey Proud!