Thread: New Jersey Bands

Cool New Jersey Bands

I'm surprised to see that this is the first thread in the forum. I love knowing who the local bands are.

What are your favourite bands from New Jersey? You can name anyone from a famous jazz artist to a punk band that started last week. It also doesn't matter when the band was around.

So let's hear it for your local bands!

Recent Resident Eric Stephenson's Avatar

Well I guess I'll throw my 2 cents in:

Now I don't know if all of these bands are "from NJ" but I have seen them all playing in NJ.

Stormy Weather - Oldies Review band. They are all from the Trenton Area (mostly from the burg). I used to be a roadie for them but I kinda lost touch and have no idea if they are still around.

Don't Call Me Francis - Good cover band. They never fail to get the place rockin.

New Jerseyan

Default SunDog - Central NJ band

Hi...just thought I'd respond since I'm actually the lead singer of a NJ band called SunDog. We've been playing out regularly since this summer, mainly in Central NJ. We play mostly covers (classic & contemporary rock, country rock, and blues) and some originals that I and my lead guitarist write together.

If you're interested, our website is http://www.sundogcountry.com

Regards,
    Debbie

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Welcome to AboutNewJersey.com Debbie.

I guess you play in my area, although I looked at your website and you're a bit north of me - in Bridgewater. Not too far away though.

I would like to include a local band/nightclub section to the website, but I really don't have the information to make it work at this point. I also have several other things to get done on here first. But I'll be thinking about it. If you have any ideas - please send them to me.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

New Jerseyan

Thank you for the welcome! Currently, we don't have anything coming up besides the two shows in Bridgewater, but starting in Feb., we'll be playing every other month at Pheasants Landing in Hillsborough, so that's a little further south. We'll eventually start playing closer to Trenton since one of my bandmates is from that area.

I think a local bands/nightclubs section would be great. One thought I have for you is that it would be helpful to list bands by genre. Lots of band listing sites list local bands alphabetically which is pretty much a waste of time if you think about it. Most people going to sites looking for bands know the type of music they want to hear, and probably find it frustrating to have to sift through 500 band names to find the dozen or so that play, say, country rock.

I'd be happy to discuss more ideas with you if you like. I think I could point you in the right direction as far as getting the word out about the section to bands and clubs. Feel free to pick my brains any time. Thanks again for the welcome!

Regards,
    Debbie
    SunDog
    http://www.sundogcountry.com
    Last edited by DebbieSans; 10-23-2005 at 09:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DebbieSans
    Thank you for the welcome! Currently, we don't have anything coming up besides the two shows in Bridgewater, but starting in Feb., we'll be playing every other month at Pheasants Landing in Hillsborough, so that's a little further south. We'll eventually start playing closer to Trenton since one of my bandmates is from that area.
    yeah - I noticed you were coming down to Hillsborough and Ewing next year. Both of those are around my area, although I'm familiar wth Bridgewater also.
    I think a local bands/nightclubs section would be great. One thought I have for you is that it would be helpful to list bands by genre. Lots of band listing sites list local bands alphabetically which is pretty much a waste of time if you think about it. Most people going to sites looking for bands know the type of music they want to hear, and probably find it frustrating to have to sift through 500 band names to find the dozen or so that play, say, country rock.
    I completely agree with you. I aways try making it easy for people to search for the things they're looking for and searching through a list of bands without a way to reduce the listing down by music genre is pretty much a waste of time in my mind. I have some ideas to make it work, but I usually don't discuss them openly on the board, until they are complete. I do get input from people who are associated with the different sections I'm working on though.
    I'd be happy to discuss more ideas with you if you like. I think I could point you in the right direction as far as getting the word out about the section to bands and clubs. Feel free to pick my brains any time. Thanks again for the welcome!
    Thanks - I plan on taking you up on that offer.
    Regards,
    Debbie
    SunDog
    As a side note here, you can put this in your sig, go into the User CP and just go into "edit signature" and this will appear on every post you make without having to retype it.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

New Jersey Proud!

New Jerseyan

Default Excellent country band

I saw a friend's band perform for the first time last week...a new/classic country band by the name of Tequila Rose. They're really incredible. If anyone likes rockin' country and line dancing, you should check them out. I think they're going to be playing at Rhythms of the Night in Manville in November...Rhythms has country every Wed. night. Rhythms used to be a popular country club called The Yellow Rose...considering they pull a crowd of about 200+ people when they have country night, they should probably go back to that.

The band's website is tequilaroseband.com

Debbie
    SunDog

Tourist

Smile Local NJ Bands

God, so much music, so little space. As a native New Jerseyan, and a lifelong Trenton girl, I can tell you the local music scene has had its ups and definitely its downs over the years. The ups include Ernie White, John Bushnell, Paul Plumeri, Joe Zook, as well as bands like Gunsmoke (whose bass player, Bob Eckman, recently passed away, MasterMind, Traitor Phil (whose frontman, Phil, recently passed away), Don't Call Me Francis, the Nerds and so many others. After a big gap in good music in the Trenton area, we now have a selection of new, terrific bands currently out there playing, including Spellbound, Triple Threat, Slo Motion, Honey Spot Boulevard, and lots of others. So stop at a local bar in the Trenton area and see what's happening!

New Jerseyan

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaChiarello
    After a big gap in good music in the Trenton area, we now have a selection of new, terrific bands currently out there playing, including Spellbound, Triple Threat, Slo Motion, Honey Spot Boulevard, and lots of others. So stop at a local bar in the Trenton area and see what's happening!
    Hey Donna,

My band is interested in playing in more in your area. We do mainly covers of classic & contemporary rock and country rock. We're not kids...age range 40 to early 50s. Do you happen to know of clubs in your area that might be good for us?

Thanks!
    Debbie
    SunDog

Tourist

Default Local Venues

Hey Deb, actually there are quite a few good places in my area which have a diverse age range, namely Ivy Tavern at the Whitehorse Circle in Hamilton, the Sticky Wicket, located in Independence Mall in Hamilton, NJ, Buffstone's located on South Olden Avenue in Hamilton, Bills Old Time Tavern and Jo Jo's, both located on Nottingham Way, near Five Points, in Hamilton. There is also the Outpost located in Cream Ridge, NJ, the Tap Room, located on Nassau Street, in Princeton, NJ, the Yellow Brick Toad, located on Route 206 in Skillman, New Jersey. Let me think more and I probably could come up with more places. Most places ask for a demo tape or like to talk to someone in person or by phone. Good Luck!!

New Jerseyan

Hey Deb, actually there are quite a few good places in my area which have a diverse age range, namely Ivy Tavern at the Whitehorse Circle in Hamilton, the Sticky Wicket, located in Independence Mall in Hamilton, NJ, Buffstone's located on South Olden Avenue in Hamilton, Bills Old Time Tavern and Jo Jo's, both located on Nottingham Way, near Five Points, in Hamilton. There is also the Outpost located in Cream Ridge, NJ, the Tap Room, located on Nassau Street, in Princeton, NJ, the Yellow Brick Toad, located on Route 206 in Skillman, New Jersey. Let me think more and I probably could come up with more places. Most places ask for a demo tape or like to talk to someone in person or by phone. Good Luck!!
    Hey Donna,
    Thanks for all of that great info! We've got the demo and the schpeel to go with it, it's just that I'm not at all familiar with the Trenton area as we've mostly been playing between Hillsborough and Warren. Out of all of the places you mentioned, I only knew of Buffstones, so you've been a great help. Thank you again!

Best,
    Debbie
    SunDog

Tourist

Glad to be of help, Deb. Good luck and let me know if you get any bookings in my area cuz I would love to come out and check your band out. Have a great day!

New Jerseyan

Glad to be of help, Deb. Good luck and let me know if you get any bookings in my area cuz I would love to come out and check your band out. Have a great day!
    I'll definitely let you know, Donna. Thanks again!

Regards,
    Debbie
    SunDog

New Jerseyan

Default Music in Bound Brook Sat., 12/10

Hi everyone,

If you're looking for something to do in central NJ this Saturday night (12/10), my band, SunDog, will be playing at the Bound Brook Hotel in Bound Brook. We've never played there before, so if anyone knows anything about the place I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks!
    Debbie
    SunDog
    If you're a Jersey musician, please check out my Yahoo! Group, NJ Musician's Network...where you can meet and network with other NJ musicians. Sign up is easy (and free) http://groups.yahoo.com/group/njmusiciansnet/

Recent Resident

Quote Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
    What are your favourite bands from New Jersey?
    Sorry for the old thread bump, but it's under a year since the last post, so what the hell.

http://www.mattoree.com/

Local artist and a really nice guy.

He won a ton of awards at last years Asbury Music Awards:

http://www.thesaintnj.com/ama.php?winners

Quote Originally Posted by tifosiv122
    Sorry for the old thread bump, but it's under a year since the last post, so what the hell.
    Don't worry about thread bumps. The messageboard has been slow at times, and not all threads are popular. If you find one that you want to comment in - regardless of it's age - don't hesitate to post in it.

New Jersey Proud!