Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why so down on NJ?

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pookiebluez
    Hi, I'm new here, and this is what I feel. I think people are just jealous of the Garden State that's all. When people look down on NJ, I think it is just an expression of their own state.
    Welcome Pookiebluez, nice to see a fresh face again. I do think that part of it is jealousy. but also think the main thing, is that most people don't even know what New Jersey is really like. What upsets me even more is when New Jerseyans, who don't bother doing anything, complain that their is nothing to do in New Jersey. I went to the beach yesterday, to Seaside with my cousin. He goes really no where except to nightclubs, he was saying how seaside is dirty and the typical stereotype stuff. He and some friends plan on going to Myrtle Beach this summer. The water yesterday was a beautiful aqua green color, and yet he says that it's dirty and while New Jersey has the toughest water standards in the country. But that doesn't really matter because the opinion is that it's true, so facts don't matter. Then after his complaining that the beaches are dirty, him and his friend end up leaving their water bottle there, instead of taking it to the trash can which waas 20 feet away. When I packed up, I picked up the water bottles and threw them away.

I say that outsiders are simply ignorant of New Jersey, while New Jerseyans who don't know what NJ has are just plain lazy.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

New Jersey Tour Guide

Default New Jersey

Hi pookiebluez, I could not agree with you more. And I can just about prove it. Everyone is envious of me for being able to go to New Jersey every year. Now they may have never been there but wish they could go. I myself cannot find anything nagative about the garden state and hope to live there one day. By the way, at this time tomorrow evening I will be there in Marlton where my son lives. When I step on New Jersey soil I know I am home even though I live in Central Calif. I love it here too but I am quite obsessed with New Jersey since the first time I went there. So those are my feelings on the matter and I cannot tell you how excited I am to be going. marianita

Today I got a book out of the Ocean County Library - "Colonial New Jersey: A History" In the preface several interesting comments are made in the first couple of paragraphs concerning NJ and its perception. To put it bluntly - NJ is both blessed and cursed by its location and it's cursed by its history. The problems we experience today with our lack of identity, the nation's distain for our great state, extends all the way to colonial times when New York would blockade our ports and force ships to pay taxes to them and when the governor of New York, Edmund Andros didn't like that the NJ governor was not doing New York's bidding, so he had him kidnapped and stand trial in NY (charges were dismissed by the court).

Today, New Jersey is looked upon as just a "suburb of New York", even though we have the third oldest city in the country - Newark. So why is this? Where has New Jersey lost it's identity? One reason is that a lot of this is caused by the many New Yorkers who move to New Jersey, but never embrace their new state. They come here to pay less rent, but continue to spend their leisure time in NY, without ever exploring the many things that NJ has. These people seem to generally think of NJ as a 6th borough. What also encourages this perception is that our politicians don't demand that NJ get accurately recognized, whether it's with our sports teams carrying NY on their uniforms or with the lack of representation in broadcast media (NJ has only ONE commercial tv network, NBC in Atlantic City).

I seriously am starting to have my doubts that NJ will ever get the recognition it deserves. Too many New Jerseyans and especially the NJ politicians seem to not care. NJ has been invaded by New Yorkers and Pennsylvanians who just don't really care about their new home state. While other states have a huge sense of pride, our rest stops mainly advertise attractions outside the state, not to mention sell primarily New York merchandise. Until New Jerseyans demand the respect of the rest of the nation and demand our politicians to stand up to NY, the sports teams, the businesses that manage the rest stops, until they demand a sense of pride themselves, and work to make our cities self sustaining and vibrant, we will always be looked upon as just "the suburbs of NY and Philadelphia".

In 1973 - John Pomfret wrote the following preface to his book...

Two centuries ago the Reverend Andrew Burnaby described New Jersy as "the garden of North America" and added that it had "some trifling manufactures" but could not succeed in commerce. Still titled "The Garden State," New Jersey's official seal exhibitis the goddess Ceres together with three plows, symbol of her time-honored preoccupation with hubsbandry. Today small New Jersey, the most densely populated state, is a leader in manufacturing. Though her economy is augmented by substantial agricultural and seafood production, only 10 percent of her population is rural.

The New Jersey "natives" called "Jerseymen" by themselves and "Jerseyites" by scoffing neighbors, are a rapidly disappearing segment. Residing in ancient villages, north and south, these folk constituted for decades the balance wheel of the body politic, the inheritors of the strong moral codes of Quakers and Presbyterian and of John Witherspoon's "philosophy of common sense." Modern New Jersey has been overwhelmed by industrial armies and by "amphibians" from New York City and Philadelphia. Known facetiously as "the bedroom of New York City and Philadelphia" and dismissed by the late critic Edmund Wilson as "the slave of two cities," such observations are far from original. In 1846 Bishop George Washington Doane, himself a Jerseyman, lamented, "We have been too willing to become but little more than appendage to two chief cities that lie upon us, to the right and the left."

More to the point the bishop asserted further, "We have well nigh forgotten that we have a history. We have almost lost sense of identity." ....
    The thing is - many of the issues we are facing today with our lack of identity, we were facing over 150 years ago. Is there really anyway to reverse this? Yes, there are things going on that show promise, the NJ Hall of Fame, Crossroads of the American Revolution, Celebrate NJ, and even this website - which has played a huge role in the mentioned endeavors. But will it actually get New Jerseyans excited? Today New Jerseyans are fighting among ourselves even through the "north/south" divide. Instead of all of us being New Jerseyans - we are now labeled as either North Jerseyans or South Jerseyans, our state is no longer referred to as "New Jersey", but instead has now been divided and more often than not referred to as "North Jersey" or "South Jersey" I really do sometimes question whether we can ever gain a feeling of pride in New Jersey (not because we shouldn't or don't derserve it, but because so much works against us) and I also feel that I am many times trying to swim not only against a current, but up a waterfall. I will continue the fight however, but sometimes it feels like a very lonely road.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

New Jersey Proud!

New Jerseyan

JD, I do agree with some of you post but one thing you did not mention about the rest stops on the Turnpike is how they are named after famous New Jerseyans or people with strong ties to our great state. As far as the merchandise goes I stopped at the Molly Pitcher rest stop not to long ago and was pleased to see N.J. hats, shirts etc. being sold, but like you said I too was also bothered by the N.Y. garbage. I E-mailed Corzine about this and recieved an e-mail back the next day saying N.Y. garbage is sold because the company that leases the rest stop makes the decission on what to sell. Next time I stop there I will be buying A N.J. hat and shirt for myself and something for my newborn son.
    Last edited by NJPRIDE; 09-17-2006 at 09:43 PM.
    NEW JERSEY HISTORY SECOND TO NONE !

Quote Originally Posted by NJPRIDE
    JD, I do agree with some of you post but one thing you did not mention about the rest stops on the Turnpike is how they are named after famous New Jerseyans or people with strong ties to our great state.
    Yes, the rest stops are named after famous New Jerseyans - which in my opinion they should be set up as mini-museums with information and memoriabilia on that particular person. I think at most they have a small plak on the outside of the building, but that is it. New Jersey seems to do things only half way.
    As far as the merchandise goes I stopped at the Molly Pitcher rest stop not to long ago and was pleased to see N.J. hats, shirts etc. being sold, but like you said I too was also bothered by the N.Y. garbage. I E-mailed Corzine about this and recieved an e-mail back the next day saying N.Y. garbage is sold because the company that leases the rest stop makes the decission on what to sell. Next time I stop there I will be buying A N.J. hat and shirt for myself and something for my newborn son.
    Yes, they have started carrying more New JERSEY items and yes the company that manages the rest stops does determine what is sold there. New Jersey relinquishes all control over to everyone when it comes to what happens in this state. That is why Liberty State Park sells only NY items, why the Giants, Jets and now the Red Bulls carry the NY name and why our rest stops carry New York merchandise (further instilling in people's minds that we are a part of NY) and if you look in the brochure racks - you will be hard pressed to find many New Jersey attractions.

BTW - If you want good New Jersey shirts and souvenirs - I would seriously take a trip to Newark Liberty International Airport and go to the Jersey Store. Dave manages it and you can meet him there, plus they have a lot better items then the rest stops do. The last time I was at the rest stops, which was in April, their items had a lot to be desired.

New Jersey Proud!

New Jerseyan

JD , thanks for the thought on the Jersey store at Newark . It sounds like a good idea to stop there. Two other events we should keep in mind as far as celebrating N.J. is the New Jersey state history fair and a new one this year the N.J. culture festival . I myself do believe things are getting better here!
    Last edited by NJPRIDE; 09-17-2006 at 10:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NJPRIDE
    JD , thanks for the thought on the Jersey store at Newark . It sounds like a good idea to stop there.
    Here is the thread that Dave started when he first joined the AboutNewJersey.com Messageboard - Jersey Store They have a ton of things and he recently posted that he finally convinced the company that runs the store to allw him to carry Rutgers items. Score 1 for NJ.

[edit] after looking at the Jersey Store thread, I see that you had already posted it in several times.

New Jersey Proud!

New Jersey Tour Guide

Smile Why so down on New Jersey?

Hi Jersey Devil, I feel that because New Jersey is tucked between New York and Pennsylvania , it gets overlooked for all it's positive qualities. As you know those east coast states are small, most of them and it is easy and fast to get from one state to another. So New Jersey is like a hidden treasure. Also it is as you have said a lack of pride in one's state. Ofcourse the New Yorkers are going to come in and take advantage of all that New Jersey has to offer. New Jersey has plenty going for it and people know it. It could be that people just take for granted their state and it's beauty. I think that it is more appreciated by many then one would think.
    Just the other day my son was telling me how happy he and my daughter-in-law have been there the last 3 yrs. They are truly content and he is someone who was born and raised in Southern Calif.
    In 2 days, more or less, there will be a new citizen in New Jersey. A baby boy is due and will be born in Mt Holly. They have a little girl 6 yrs old and are quite overjoyed that a little boy is coming.I have my cell phone beside me day and night waiting for the call.
    There will always be those who appreciate their state and those who don't. I do for sure. New Jersey is my second home. Marianita
    Last edited by Marianita; 09-18-2006 at 04:35 AM. Reason: left out a word

New Jerseyan

Marianita , Speaking of newborns, my wife and I just had our first child , A son born Sept.13 2006 at 3:24 pm at Morristown hospital 7pounds 4 ounces 19.5 inches long. My son will grow up to appreciate N.J. and everything our great state has to offer! Congratulations to you, your son and your daughter in law on the new liittle person coming soon.

New Jersey Tour Guide

Default new baby

Hi Jersey Pride, How very wonderful about your new baby boy. I can tell you are the happiest man on earth about now. The little guy is a really nice weight and length and will probably be a big man some day. May God bless you and your wife with that baby boy. So he was born in Morristown. He sure will grow up to appreciate his state. That's for sure. He is a genuine New Jersian. lol. I talked to my son this morning and my daughter-in-law had a doctor appt and is fine but a bit uncomfortable. The baby is due anytime now. Just think Jersey Pride. If my son's baby arrives on Wed which is the actual due date, your baby and his will be only 7 days apart. I know that he is going to be born in MtHolly but forgot the name of the hospital. So that is 2 New Jersey people. lol. I am so happy for you and for my son and his wife and ofcourse for me. lol. That will make 11 grandchildren for me. And I thought they were through. Marianita

New Jersey Tour Guide

Smile Jersey Pride re; baby boy

Hi Jersey Pride. How is your little boy doing? I know you are enjoying being a father. Well, guess what. Today at 1;30 EST my little grandson was born in MtHolly. He weighs 7 lbs and 2 oz and ''Jersey Rich'' did not know how long he is. lol. But I got the call while at work and it is all too wonderful. My daughter-in-law is doing well and my son sounds so happy. He said the baby has just a little bit of hair and is healthy looking indeed, so very cute. I was on pins and needles waiting for the phone call. He called me at 10;45, our time and said the baby was born at 1;30. The first thing he said was,''Guess what Mom. You have a new grandson.'' When I told my co-workers the baby was born at 1;30 they thought he had been born last night. lol. I explained that he is a New Jersey baby and the time difference. I think it is wonderful that he was born in New Jersey and he too will take pride in his state. Awesome, don't you think? Marianita