Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why so down on NJ?

Recent Resident Eric Stephenson's Avatar

Default Why so down on NJ?

I don't understand it.

I don't understand why the society at large is so down on NJ.

The accent and other stereotype thread is just one example of this.

If you have done any travelling at all outside of this state you have most certainly heard exactly what I'm talking about.

The whole "Oh, you're from New Jersey? What exit?" and the "whoever is the last one out please turn off the lights" thing is really getting to me.

Even the "local" media and even the sports teams feel the same way.

In my life I have travelled to a large portion of our country and about a dozen other countries in this world. After all this travelling I still believe we live in one of the most beautiful states/areas around.

How many other places in this world can you literally travel less then 3 hours and visit beautiful beaches, wondrous mountain ranges, historical areas and some of the most diverse cultural activities around?

The whole idea that we all have this "accent" and attitude is plain stupid. Unless you live within about 20 miles of NYC or you are of foreign descent you probably don't have any kind of accent. And the attitude, well to be kind let's just say the attitude is another stereotype that has come south over the years.

If people are so down on this state then why do they spend millions of dollars a year vacationing on our beaches? Why do the flock to the sports stadiums every day of the year? Why do the come and gamble their money in A.C.? Why do they move here?

I say enough is enough. I think we should start telling people that if they are that down on NJ then get the heck out we don't need your money that bad!

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

There are many many reasons for this. Much of the current attitude comes from simply ignorance. 99% of the people who talk crap about NJ have never even been here, so where do they get their information from? Simple, they get it from comedians, hearsay, news, tv shows and of course movies. All this plays a role in what people perceive NJ to be whether it's true or not.

What bothers me more than what outsiders think, is what New Jerseyans themselves think. Now this is a much more complicated problem. My cousins's used to complain that NJ was boring when I first moved back. they didn't understand why I wanted to be back so bad or why I loved NJ so much. I proceeded to show them all that NJ has to offer. Their problem was that their parents never took them anywhere. Their mother can't stand the sand of the beach - so they never went there, their mother isn't into amusement parks - so they had never even been on a roller coaster before I moved back. They never went to any state parks. It was pathetic. Here they were saying how boring NJ was, and they weren't even taking advantage of the many things in their backyard. They kept saying they wanted to move to NY or Florida or Chicago. Now they find themselves defending NJ and being pissed when they hear people dissing NJ.

Unless we change the way new Jerseyans feel about ourselves and our state, there is no way we can change the way people outside feel about us. One of the big NJ problems, and something that someone recently sent an e-mail to me about concerns the lack of broadcasting stations in NJ. I have often talked to others about this, but I don't think I have ever posted this on the web. I will post his letter here, which I do agree with him, I think the lack of our own network news outlets in NJ is a very big detriment to NJ being independant from NY and PA and having a sense of self.

It is nice to see someone who shares so many of my feelings about New Jersey. I haven't found it on your site, but a principal reason for the stereotypes and misperceptions is the lack of a significant broadcast industry in the state. The problem is most severe in northern New Jersey where those in and out of the state are barraged with the messages carried by the often hostile New York City media.

Although New Jersey made great contributions to the development of broadcasting, it has been shortchanged by the F.C.C. and others in the number and quality of frequency and channel allocations. The commission, often serving more those it is supposed to regulate than the public, has turned a blind eye toward this deficiency. It is well aware of the problem and even has acknowledged it from time to time. But no substantive action ever has been taken.

New Jersey politicians, on all levels, have ignored the problem, perhaps because a large, vigorous electronic news media serves the public's interest more than those of the politicians. In other words, the more the public is kept in the dark about the political process the more politicians are protected from public scrutiny. The current gubernatorial race, for example, has had little airing on those stations people in northern New Jersey are expected to consider "local," i.e. the New York stations.

New Jersey is home to two NBC television networks...CNBC and MSNBC. The latter identifies its location as "MSNBC World Headquarters," never mentioning that they are in Secaucus, or even New Jersey. Through scenery and inference, the public is left to assume that they are in New York City. In an e-mail exchange with an MSNBC representative I expressed my feelings about their reticence to identify with New Jersey. She told me that MSNBC was proud of their then-new headquarters. I asked her if she was also proud to be in New Jersey. She never replied.

In response to complaints in the past, the F.C.C. was willing to go only so far as requiring New York TV stations to have telephone numbers in New Jersey. The purpose of this cynical response was to enable people in New Jersey to call the New York stations to alert them when a newsworthy event was occurring in our state. Almost twenty years ago the commission dropped two UHF TV allocations into northern New Jersey, ostensibly to solve the lack of TV stations in the area. One allocation was set aside for a member of a minority group who actually lived in the signal coverage of the station. The other allocation was designated as "educational." The former, WMBC-TV, broadcasts infomercials and programs, including news, in Korean and other foreign languages. The latter, WFME-TV, is owned by a religious broadcaster. Its signal is extremely weak. I understand that they are off the air more than they are on. The new digital transmitter for WMBC has been approved for siting in Little Falls, very far away from the city of license..Newton. It will enable the owner to target his primary interest...New York City.

Best of luck with your Web site and thanks for your continuing efforts to improve the state and the public's perception of it.

Sincerely,

It is quite obvious if you travel around the state that south Jersey associates more with Philly and north Jersey associates itself with NY. Now why is that? Well because that's where they get their news from. Thats where all the broadcasts comes from. Do you think Philadelphia is having about the great Newark Museum, which by the way is one of the best in the country? Do you think that NY news is having about the reopened Adventure Aquarium or the USS New Jersey in Camden? Hell no! Now think if we had ABC, CBS, NBC and our own news stations located in OUR capital - Trenton. What a different attitude people would have within NJ when they actually got news about what OUR politicians are doing, or what is going on in OUR cities, versus what is happening in the two states on either side of us. We have no identity. Try to think of something that defines NJ and it's hard to do. The outside media has defined who we are, both within our own borders and without.

I generally watch NY's channel 7 Eyewitness News (although I do watch NJN and News 12 New Jersey also). When the Encyclopedia of New Jersey was published they had about it on the news. You know what they said after the news cast? "I didn't know NJ had enough in it to fit in book" or some similar snide comment. That is what is defining us.

Look at movies, look at who produces these movies. They're hollywood people who don't care about accuracy - all they want to do is play on the extreme stereotypes. So they make things like Jersey Girl (the original) which has that exagerated, what some think is a NJ, accent - when it's actually more of a brooklyn accent. Even though I like Garden State - I don't think it portrayed NJ well at all. Most of the characters were freaks. Look at Sopranos, that defines us. What is funny is that people will associate NJ with the Sapranos and big hair and the ridiculous accents, but when movies such as "A Beautiful Mind" come out about a Nobel prize winner (which New Jersey has many), that doesn't matter. It doesn't dispel any of the negative media we get.

Basically what this boils down to is we need to take control of how we are defined and how New Jerseyans feel about ourselves. When we hold our politicians accountable, such as with this ridiculous Giants stadium deal where the giants still retain that assinine NY on their uniforms, then we will begin to get respect and the attention we deserve. Right now - even though the Giants are a NJ team and have no association with NY at all (except for their ridiculous logo) - when they win the Super Bowl - NY gets the glory - not NJ. Even though both Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty are in NJ waters - NJ politicians don't get invited to any opening events there. I was at the re-opening ceremonies of the Statue of Liberty, there was NOT ONE New Jersey representative invited.

It is time for New Jerseyans to stop sitting back and to finally take control. It is time to educate the ignorant on what NJ has and this website is a big part of that process.

To put it bluntly - I am on a crusade.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

It would be cool if you guys had your own news station, or at least your own broadcast. There are different news broadcasts on a popular British Columbian channel that are more specific for Vancouver, the Southern Interior, and the North East. (Poor South East and North West get left out IIRC.)

I think there should be more positive things in the news in general, such as excellent Newark museums.

I agree that ignorance is a factor. If all someone knows about NJ is from "Will and Grace", (set in New York city, but they occasionally have poorly delivered jokes about NJ) then...

I think another reason is other states like to make fun of cool states like New Jersey to make themselves feel cooler. But, I did think the "What exit?" comment was funny. *ducks tomatoes*
    I don't mind inter-state/province/country teasing as long as it's not mean-spirited or clichéd. I think making fun of people's accents is in very bad taste. It's like making fun of someone's name. "Yeah, they've never heard that before. Jerks."

Here is an article that was written in USA Today several years ago about NJ becoming the state with the highest median income after being years at number two behind connecticut. By the article - you would think that NJ was crap and it just got lucky. This is the type of stuff that pisses me off from people and is the reason I started this website.

by Craig Wilson

Who would have thunk it?

New Jersey, rich fodder for late-night comedians throughout the ages, is having the last laugh. It's the Number 1 state in median household income, the Census Bureau reported this week. Coming in second this time around was perennial winner Connecticut.

Now, I've been to New Jersey, and New Jersey, you're no Connecticut. Which might be your charm.

As a native New Yorker, albeit an upstate New Yorker, I was always taught to look down on New Jersey. It was what you did as a true New Yorker, and to be honest, it wasn't that hard. You only had to journey across the Hudson to immediately realise you were in a different state, not only geographically but mentally. One thing was for sure: it wasn't Fifth Avenue. Which also might be its charm.

As I grew older and my circle of friends grew wider, I began to realise that many of my best friends were from New Jersey. Liz Hood, a pal for 25 years, came from the Oranges. I can't remember which. East or West. Doesn't matter, although I think it might to those who live there. Liz has a great laugh and sings in a group with two other women, one also from New Jersey. Its repertoire includes an original song called My Garden State, which ends with the line "I want to live and die in dear old Jersey, along the blue Atlantic shore."

Say what you will about the state, its people are loyal. And any place that looks like a nuclear wasteland in spots and still has the chutzpah to put "Garden State" on its license plate has to be admired. Talk about spin.

What I like most about New Jersey is that it has a distinctive personality, unlike so much of America today, New Jersey isn't bland. There's always a politician being investigated, a good Italian restaurant nearby and, of course, there's the shore. No one goes to the beach. You go to the shore in New Jersey.

My partner, Jack, is a Jersey boy, born and raised in Trenton. Proud of it, too. "Trenton Makes/The World Takes." It says so right there on the bridge. He's so secure, he always admits not only to New Jersey, but Trenton, when people ask where he grew up. It's never nearby Lawrenceville. Never Princeton. Never even West Trenton. Just Trenton.

Kathy O'Brien, a columnist for The Star-Ledger in Newark, is another old friend and a longtime Jersey girl. She plays her cello in the local symphony, is raising her daughter on New Jersey air and has no plans to leave any time soon. Years ago, I went to her wedding and managed to hit a police car in Morristown that weekend. It's a long story, but with a happy ending.

I ended the night eating doughnuts with the cops, commiserating with the officer on duty about the two most misunderstood professions on earth - law enforcement and journalism. New Jersey won me over that evening.

Other than Princeton and Far Hills and Bernardsville, there's not much pretension in New Jersey. What you see is what you get. Oil tanks. A rest stop named after Vince Lombardi. The Sopranos. In short, real life. And 8.4 million people are happy to call it home.

Martha Stewart is from New Jersey. She moved to Connecticut. I'd say that pretty much says it all.

Source: USA Today Wednesday 8 August 2001; email Craig Wilson at cwilson@usatoday.com
    It's like it's so difficult for people to actually realize and accept that NJ is a great place. It's obvious it was incredibly difficult for this journalist to say anything nice about NJ - so they had to counteract anything nice with some negative comment. I wonder - has this person even been south of the Hudson (and I don't mean on the Turnpike either).
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

New Jersey Proud!

New Jersey Tour Guide

Smile

I don't think it matters where a person is from , it matters what kind of people they are. To look down on someone because they are from a particular place is childish. I myself love New Jersey and would move there tomorrow if I did not have properties here to take care of. I also found New Yorkers to be charming. Ofcourse I like everyone no matter what state they are from. As for polititians, well these things are not limited to New Jersey. lol. It is amazing how many states one can cover in a day. It is just plain fun and I am making plans to go back soon. Marianita

I think this article at Tomato Nation is relevant. Notes from the 310. See, New Yorkers aren't always down on NJ. (New Jersey is mentioned at the end.)
    (This article is actually about a trip to L.A. but NJ does get mentioned.)

New Jersey Tour Guide

Smile Down on NJ

I wonder if New Yorkers actually are down on NJ. I sure did meet a lot of them in NJ. It is interesting to note that NJ has beautiful homes and lots of greenery and fun places to go. As for Philly associating more with NJ then New York I think that is natural as Philly is very close. I used to sit on my sons patio and watch the planes coming in from the Philly airport. I liked to watch the geese go by too. New York is exciting but when I found myself back in NJ I felt great, right at home. People tend to have preconcieved notions but unless they have been there and seen for themselves, they cannot truly judge. There is no place on earth like it. Marianita

New Jerseyan

Smile why so down

Some people Ive talked to who say they dont like N.J. , and who have also said they would never go back admit they have never seen beyond Newark Airport .Seems to me they are just the kind of people who are ignorant and believe everything they read and hear no matter how false it my be . Like Bon Jovi said lets keep the greatness of N.J. a secret or else everyone will want to be here . One last note , in the summer the state tips towards the shore from all of the out of staters .My wife and I have seen license plates from Ohio , Virginia , Tenn. , Maryland of course N.Y. and Penn . in Cape May . The one Ohio plate we see frequently is personalized and says CAPE MAY . I guess the state is so bad they dont mind advertising for us . NEW JERSEY HISTORY SECOND TO NONE !

New Jersey Tour Guide

Smile NJ

Hi NjPride, It seems to me that if someone does visit there they are not going to forget it. I have memories of Cape May. There was a song written about Cape May.It is called,''I fell inlove on the way to Cape May.'' I think of my daughter-in-law and I shopping at Cherry Hill Mall. She would give me my choice of where we went for breakfast and ofcourse I would say the Cracker Barrel in Mount Laural of we would go one of the diners. But these shopping sprees were great fun. We always seemed to get caught in a big storm but that did not make us head for home. We just ducked inside a store or a diner and waited it out. My son, who likes to go to Chiles would take us there in the evening and on to Dunkin Donuts later. We walked the boardwalk in Wildwood. We had dinner at The Lobster House. I have never seen a state where there is so much to do. The Italian resturants are great. One day I saw a New Jersey license plate right here in Central Calif and I got homesick. I was thinking how fortunate they were to be headed that way.lol. Well, I will be before too long. I will probably take atleast 3 weeks of my vacation in May. Marianita

Quote Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
    I think this article at Tomato Nation is relevant. Notes from the 310. See, New Yorkers aren't always down on NJ. (New Jersey is mentioned at the end.)
    (This article is actually about a trip to L.A. but NJ does get mentioned.)
    Actually the person who wrote that article is originally from NJ I've been to Tomato Nation before. I posted another article you might be interested in on the The New Jersey accent and other stereotypes thread.

New Jersey Proud!

Quote Originally Posted by Marianita
    I wonder if New Yorkers actually are down on NJ. I sure did meet a lot of them in NJ.
    The thing is that even though a lot of times they come down, they bad mouth the state while here. I'm not saying they all do of course - but actually many do. My cousin and I were walking along the boards in Seaside and we were talking about this. He said he was tired of NYers coming down to Seaside and then overhearing them say "New Jersey's boring, New Jersey is ugly, etc etc". he said he wanted to go up to them and ask them - "well if you hate it so much - then why are you even here?"

On two seperate occasions I have talked to people who had never been to NJ before and were coming out, and I told them how NJ and NY basically hate each other. They both wrote it off as standard state rivalry. Well then we went into NY. The one place I took the person was "Jekyl and Hydes" (cool atmosphere - food VERY expensive, only takes cash and is equivalent to Hard Rock Cafe), anyway - they have a horror motif where audioanimatronics and some humans - have skits and tell jokes - most jokes revolved around NJ. My brother's friend who had never been to NY turned to me and said "man - you weren't kidding, you guys really DO hate each other".

Another time I had a friend from Texas come up and we were on the subway in NY. There were three or four people sitting across from us who were in baseball uniforms and were discussing the game they just played. They must have lost and one of them said how one of them should be sent over to NJ as punishment for the way they played. The person responded back that it was worse than jail and they would rather die first. My friend turned to me and said "Wow - I thought you were just exagerating about this."

There is this intense distain, hatred, rivalry, whatever term you want to use, between NJ and NY that goes throughout our history - from COLONIAL times even when NY would basically blocade our ports and prevent ships from coming to unload in NJ without first docking in NY to pay taxes. As I've always said - if NJ and NY weren't part of the same country through the US - we would be in constant war with each other. Instead NJ and NY our constantly at war in the Supreme court.
    It is interesting to note that NJ has beautiful homes and lots of greenery and fun places to go. As for Philly associating more with NJ then New York I think that is natural as Philly is very close. I used to sit on my sons patio and watch the planes coming in from the Philly airport. I liked to watch the geese go by too. New York is exciting but when I found myself back in NJ I felt great, right at home. People tend to have preconcieved notions but unless they have been there and seen for themselves, they cannot truly judge. There is no place on earth like it. Marianita
    Well it's only the southern half of the state that associates with Philadelphia - the other half associates with NY. I don't like the "South Jersey versus North Jersey" situation. I don't like when a person from southern New Jersey gets riduculed by a fellow southern New Jerseyan for wearing a NJ Devils hat. I would like to see the state pull together and people to realize we are one state. But again - this is part of our history. We were originally TWO different colonies - East and West Jersey which basically corresponds to what today is considered south and north. Even during the Revolution - we were referred to as "The Jerseys" by Washington and others.

New Jersey Proud!

New Jersey Tour Guide

Default NJ

Hi JD, It is interesting reading these posts as regards people being down on NJ. It was somewhat clarified when you said it may have stemmed from colonial times. In my opinion people are people no matter where they are from. I myself have some kind of accent and people do say,''You are not from here.'' Well, I always thought my accent was east coast where I was born and raised but I speak fluent Spanish too so that probably makes it more so. lol. I agree. If someone does not like our state they need not visit. simple as that. Now if someone wants to punish me by sending me to NJ as you said those guys were joking about, I will start packing. LOL. I cannot imagine someone saying they do not like our state and then going there. They can leave. I realize that NJ is known for it's tomatoes. Well, Central Calif is known for its agriculture. Every place is known for something. I think it is wrong for people to hate each other. The whole issue of NYers and Nj persons hating each other is quite ridiculous. Marianita

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDevil
    Actually the person who wrote that article is originally from NJ I've been to Tomato Nation before. I posted another article you might be interested in on the The New Jersey accent and other stereotypes thread.
    I read later in one of her articles that she was born in NJ, yeah. But still, she loves NYC and she lives and works there now, so NJ and NY can get along sometimes right?

Plus Sars has a tatoo of a tomato on her arm. That's awesome. Maybe you should get one too JD, if NJ is famous for tomatoes like Marianita said. Show some NJ pride.

Maybe I'll check out that other thread now.

New Jersey Tour Guide

Smile NJ Pride

Hi Nurvengiel, I suppose we all have our own ways of showing New Jersey pride. As for the tomato I would gather a bunch to make salsa and show my pride that way. Ofcourse I show it in many other ways. At work everyone knows something about New Jersey. They are learning more. I realized that when one of the girls said she wanted the Jersey shore look. I had worn a blouse I bought at a boutique in Marlton and it is designed to give the Jersey shore look. Ofcourse none of them have ever been to New Jersey so we got a kick out of that. From reading the posts it sounds like NYers have had a feud throughout the ages with New Jersey but I do not really understand the reason for that. By the way Nurvengiel, what are the temps like in New Jersey in May? I have never been there in May. Let me know. Marianita

There's a Jersey Shore look? Awesome. I also like how you go down to the shore, not just to the shore.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Marianita
    By the way Nurvengiel, what are the temps like in New Jersey in May? I have never been there in May. Let me know. Marianita
    The best thing to do before traveling to NJ is to look at the weather reports for the 5-10 day forecast to get an idea of the weather you will see.

That said:

The temperatures depends on where in the state you visit and when during May.

In general, the average temperatures for the Newark, NJ area is in the Mid-60s for May. (58-76°)
    http://www.city-data.com/city/Newark-New-Jersey.html

In general, the average temperatures for the Atlantic City, NJ area is in the Mid-60s for May. (60-70°)
    http://www.city-data.com/city/Atlant...ew-Jersey.html

In general, the average temperatures for the Trenton, NJ area is in the Mid-60s for May. (55°-78°)
    http://www.city-data.com/city/Trenton-New-Jersey.html

It is also possible for the temperatures to vary from low 40s to mid 80's, but this tends to be the extreme.

The ocean can do much to influence the temperatures along the coast.
    The ocean temperature are usually in the 50's during May.

Choose a city from this website if you need a town closer to where you are visiting.
    http://www.city-data.com/city/New-Jersey.html
    Sincerely,
    Anthony

NJ & You, Perfect Together

New Jersey Tour Guide

Smile Jersey shore look

Hi Nuvingiel, Yes there is, apparently is a Jersey shore look according to the lady who sold me the blouse. The blouse can be tied in front three ways. It depends on the occasion. lol. I paid a good price for that Jersey shore look. LOL. Thankyou for the weather report for May. It sounds pretty much like the weather here, at the moment. I am going to Marlton with my son but ofcourse we are going everywhere else you can think of too. Atlantic City is on my list . I want to see if they can make my car payment again like they did last year. lol. Cape May is a must. I can hardly wait. Take care. Marianita

New Jersey Tour Guide Jersey Warren's Avatar

Default Damning With Faint Praise!

The USA Today article is a perfect example of the old expression: "To damn with faint praise." The person appears to be praising someone (or something) but does it so weakly that it raises more questions than it answers.

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDevil
    Here is an article that was written in USA Today several years ago about NJ becoming the state with the highest median income after being years at number two behind connecticut. By the article - you would think that NJ was crap and it just got lucky. This is the type of stuff that pisses me off from people and is the reason I started this website.

It's like it's so difficult for people to actually realize and accept that NJ is a great place. It's obvious it was incredibly difficult for this journalist to say anything nice about NJ - so they had to counteract anything nice with some negative comment. I wonder - has this person even been south of the Hudson (and I don't mean on the Turnpike either).

New Jersey Tour Guide

I cannot for the life of me imagine anyone being down on New Jersey but there you have it. Rivalry between states. I say if someone finds it boring or does not like it they can stay away. New Jersey has a lot going for it. I have traveled enough to realize that. I save all year to go there again. As for tatooing a tomato on your arm I would draw the line at that if it is to show pride. lol. There is also alot of other wonderful fruits there as well. The tomato stands out because I have never seen one so red and plump. I show more pride for New Jersey then I do California except that I especially like this part of Calif. Is there really that many people down on New Jersey? I wonder why. Marianita

Tourist

Hi, I'm new here, and this is what I feel. I think people are just jealous of the Garden State that's all. When people look down on NJ, I think it is just an expression of their own state.