Thread: New Jersey division of parks and forestry

Default New Jersey division of parks and forestry

New Jersey division of parks and forestry

Whether you are looking for an action packed day of hiking and swimming, or camping under the stars, there are plenty of things to see and do in our 39 parks, 11 forests and 3 recreation areas. And with 57 historic sites and districts, New Jersey's past is rich with stories to tell. This is evident in the historic homes, landscapes and battlefields where Washington and the Continental Army spent almost half of the American Revolutionary War. Find it all here, on the official web site of New Jersey's State Parks, Forests and Historic Sites.

===============================================
    This site gives plenty of information and is very user friendly.
    Sincerely,
    Anthony

NJ & You, Perfect Together

Lady ***** of the Forest

Default Re: New Jersey division of parks and forestry

Quote Originally Posted by MITHRANDIR
    New Jersey division of parks and forestry

Whether you are looking for an action packed day of hiking and swimming, or camping under the stars, there are plenty of things to see and do in our 39 parks, 11 forests and 3 recreation areas. And with 57 historic sites and districts, New Jersey's past is rich with stories to tell. This is evident in the historic homes, landscapes and battlefields where Washington and the Continental Army spent almost half of the American Revolutionary War. Find it all here, on the official web site of New Jersey's State Parks, Forests and Historic Sites.

===============================================
    This site gives plenty of information and is very user friendly.[/url]
    Your tag didn't work, Mithrandir. Can you try that again?

Lady ***** of the Forest

oops, nevermind

Is the Pine Barrens a park? Or is it an area with many parks?

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
    Is the Pine Barrens a park? Or is it an area with many parks?
    Not - it's a 1.1 million acre protected woodland.

For some information you can look at the following websites..
    Pinelands Commission
    PineyPower.com
    Plants of New Jersey Pine Barrens
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

Neat. And according to PineyPower.com (what a cute url) there's towns right in the Pine Barrens.

Is it like Banff (Alberta) in that sense? Banff is a national park, but there's a townsite right in the centre. Because it's a national park and therefore owned by the government, you can only lease property for 99 years from the gov't rather than owning it outright. Also, expansion is extremely limited if not non-existent.

But a protected woodland isn't the same as a national park - IIRC you're allowed to hunt in the Pine Barrens. This is how I heard about it in the first place - we were talking about how people from the cities felt favourably about hunting in the Pine Barrens, which is opposite to what was assumed about city attitudes.

For those of us that don't understand acres, 1.1 million acres = 445 164 hectares.

Here are some facts about the Pine Barrens - I still and always will call it the Pine Barrens. They have been slowly changing the name to make it more pleasing and using "Pinelands". Wll I think Pine barrens sounds more mysterious and fits in far better with it's number 1 in habitant - the Jersey Devil.

SIZE
    • Pinelands National Reserve, created by the National Parks and Recreation Act of 1978, includes
    approximately 1.1 million acres encompassing portions of seven counties and all or part of 56 municipalities.
    • State-designated Pinelands Area, created by the New Jersey Pinelands Protection Act of 1979, encompasses
    927,123 acres, which includes portions of 7 counties and all or part of 53 municipalities.
    • The State Pinelands Area is 1,449 square miles -- 19 percent of the total area of New Jersey

POPULATION AND ECONOMY
    • Population of the Pinelands National Reserve - approximately 616,000 (2000 US Census).
    • Population of the State-designated Pinelands Area - approximately 277,000 (2000 US Census).
    • Largest Pinelands employment sectors - government, services, retail trade, construction and manufacturing.
    • Agriculture is recognized in the federal and state Pinelands Acts as an industry of special significance:
    • With all of the State’s cranberry production and virtually all of the blueberry production located in
    the Pinelands, New Jersey ranks 3rd in both cranberry and in blueberry production nationally (2001).
    • Pinelands farms produced 57 million pounds of cranberries and 38 million pounds of blueberries in
    • Vegetable farming, fruit orchards, roadside produce stands, nursery/horticulture and
    viticulture/winemaking are all major components of the Pinelands agricultural industry.
    • Other important or traditional economic activities include forestry, sand/gravel mining, and shellfishing.

NATURAL RESOURCES OF REGIONAL, NATIONAL & INTERNATIONAL IMPORTANCE
    • Region features some of the largest unbroken tracts of forest in the eastern U.S.
    • Unique ecological features of the New Jersey Pinelands include acidic and nutrient-poor stream systems fed
    by the shallow, underlying aquifer. Supports acid-tolerant fish, frog and toad, and plant communities. Native
    soils are sandy, acidic, droughty and nutrient-poor as well.
    • High propensity for forest fires. Upland forests dominated by pitch pine and other fire-adapted species.
    • Wetlands comprise approximately 35 percent of the Pinelands National Reserve: 380,400 acres, including
    Atlantic White Cedar swamps, hardwood swamps, pitch pine lowlands, savannahs, and coastal marshes.
    • Pinelands lie above the 17.7-trillion-gallon Kirkwood-Cohansey aquifer, with enough water to cover all of
    New Jersey 10 feet deep - and equal to nearly half the water consumed each year in the U.S.
    • Home to many rare and unusual plants and animals, some of which reach their northern or southern
    geographic limits in the Pinelands.
    • Pinelands National Reserve is home to 41 threatened or endangered animal species.
    • The colorful Pine Barrens Treefrog (Hyla andersonii), a species widely associated with the unique natural
    history of the Pinelands, is found in very few places outside of the Pinelands.
    • Noted by botanists worldwide for its unique native flora, including 27 wild orchid species and several
    insectivorous plant species.
    • 54 threatened and endangered plant species protected under the Pinelands Comprehensive Management Plan.
    • Some species of Pinelands plants, including Knieskern’s Beaked Rush (Rhynchospora knieskernii),
    Pickering’s Morning Glory (Breweria pickeringii var. caesariensis), and Bog Asphodel (Narthecium
    americanum) are currently found nowhere outside of the Pinelands.
    • 15,000-acre Pine Plains are the most extensive pygmy forest of its type in the Country.

SPECIAL FEDERAL & INTERNATIONAL DESIGNATIONS
    • The Pinelands National Reserve was the first National Reserve in the nation
    • The Pinelands were designated in 1988 as the New Jersey Pinelands Biosphere Reserve by the United
    Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization.
    • Two Pinelands river systems are part of the National Wild and Scenic River System – The Great Egg Harbor
    River National Scenic and Recreational River and the Maurice National Scenic and Recreational River. Some
    165 linear miles of the two rivers and their tributaries have the designation.
    • In 1998, Congress and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration designated estuarine portions
    of the Mullica River watershed as the Jacques Cousteau National Estuary Research Reserve at Mullica River-
    Great Bay, which includes a large area of the Pinelands. The designation was based largely on the
    exceptional long-term scientific research and monitoring opportunities presented by the high-quality of the
    estuary -- regarded as one of the least disturbed in the Northeast U.S.
    • In 1995, the Barnegat Bay, located along the eastern portion of the Pinelands National Reserve, was accepted
    into the National Estuary Program by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.
    • In 1986, the Edwin B. Forsyth National Wildlife Refuge was designated as a “wetland of international
    importance” under the Ramsar Convention Treaty of 1971. Forsythe is one of only 17 such sites in the
    United States. Ramsar was established to protect globally significant waterfowl habitat.
    • In 1975, Congress designated 6,600 acres of the Forsythe National Wildlife Refuge as the Brigantine
    Wilderness Area, managed under the federal Wilderness Act of 1964.
    • About 10 miles of Delaware Bay shoreline at the southern end of the Pinelands National Reserve, was
    designated as a Hemispheric Reserve in 1985 by the Western Hemisphere Shorebird Reserve Network.
    Forsythe National Wildlife Refuge received the Hemispheric Shorebird Reserve designation in 2001.
    • There are 29 Pinelands sites on the National Register of Historic Sites, including restored historic villages and
    settlements, town historic districts, and historic structures and ruins.

Pine Barren Facts PDF
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

New Jersey Proud!

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDevil
    Here are some facts about the Pine Barrens - I still and always will call it the Pine Barrens. They have been slowly changing the name to make it more pleasing and using "Pinelands". Wll I think Pine barrens sounds more mysterious and fits in far better with it's number 1 in habitant - the Jersey Devil.
    JerseyDevil,
    Great facts.
    I did not know that the name was changed from the Pine Barrens to Pinelands.

The only thing I do not like about the Pine Barrens is that there is no road that goes from Northeast to Southwest (ie Lakehurst area to DEL MEM Bridge area)
    (Somewaht selfish on my part, but other than that I like the Barrens.)

It is nice and relaxing, IMO, to drive through the Pine Barrens surrounded by trees. Just make sure you do not run out of fuel.

Nurvingiel,
    Thanks for getting me interested in converting Acres to Hectares.

Hectare == 10.000 square meters
    A unit of area equal to 10,000 square meters. Equivalent to 2.471 acres
    1 Acre == 0.4046873 Hectare
    A unit of area (4840 square yards) used in English-speaking countries
    Metric Conversions
    Sincerely,
    Anthony

NJ & You, Perfect Together

Quote Originally Posted by MITHRANDIR
    JerseyDevil,
    Great facts.
    I did not know that the name was changed from the Pine Barrens to Pinelands.
    Yup, and I can't stand it. As I said - I like the name Pine Barrens.
    The only thing I do not like about the Pine Barrens is that there is no road that goes from Northeast to Southwest (ie Lakehurst area to DEL MEM Bridge area)
    (Somewaht selfish on my part, but other than that I like the Barrens.)
    Don't even talk to me about that. They're building something on 530/539 intersection, the area just south of 70. I hate it. It's going to cause so much traffic in that area and they just tore down all those trees.

It is nice and relaxing, IMO, to drive through the Pine Barrens surrounded by trees. Just make sure you do not run out of fuel.
    You should add, make sure you have a deer lookout person with you also - if you are driving through at night. There was a herd of deer on 530 when I was coming back from Seaside the one time. They were luckily only in ONE lane - but that lane happened to be mine. So I swerved around into the other lane, luckily no cars were coming and the deer did not bolt in the wrong direction (into my car).

New Jersey Proud!