Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should the Messageboad be Reorganized?

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Default Should the Messageboad be Reorganized?

I was wondering what people thought about the forums on the messageboard. Are there too many? should they be consolidated? Is it just right?

one thing I'm thinking of doing is making the top catgegory "IMPORTANT & General NJ Topics". I would move the "NJ General Discussion" up to this catgory, but I'm not sure if I want to do that either. Any thoughts on the subject?
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDevil
    I was wondering what people thought about the forums on the messageboard. Are there too many? should they be consolidated? Is it just right?

one thing I'm thinking of doing is making the top catgegory "IMPORTANT & General NJ Topics". I would move the "NJ General Discussion" up to this catgory, but I'm not sure if I want to do that either. Any thoughts on the subject?
    I do not have a problem with the current structure of the site.

"IMPORTANT & General NJ Topics" would possibly benefit from having more people visit the spot at least initially.

Maybe you could look at the different areas and see what the traffic is currently and reorganize based on that basis.
    Sincerely,
    Anthony

NJ & You, Perfect Together

It's not hard to navigate the board (because of the headers like "Arts and Enterntainment" etc), but there are a lot of different forums.

I think the forum would benefit to getting each section down to about three or four forums. You could have a catch-all, general forum in sections like "General Interest" that would have the Transportation (minor activity) and Lodging (no activity) sections. Maybe they could be included as well in "New Jersey discussion".

That being said, I have posted at a message board with at least as many forums as this and it totally works. (But that board had about a thousand members.)

Quote Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
    I think the forum would benefit to getting each section down to about three or four forums. You could have a catch-all, general forum in sections like "General Interest" that would have the Transportation (minor activity) and Lodging (no activity) sections. Maybe they could be included as well in "New Jersey discussion".
    Well I am planning on combining the "Outdoor Recreation" with "Activities". I see no real reason to have it split up that much anymore. I started out with more specific threads and then am working at combining them.

The Jersey Shore needs to be split up into the different regions. The shore covers 127 miles and I want to make sure that peoplecan more easily find the threads they are looking for.

It's easier to combine forums than seperate them. I'm also trying to look at the future when this is the Number 1 New Jersey messageboard.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

New Jersey Proud!

I'm thinking about combining Lodging and restaurants on the messageboard. Currently these are two different forums. Anyone have any ideas on this - whether it's a good idea or bad idea?

New Jersey Proud!

I'm thinking about combining Lodging and restaurants on the messageboard. Currently these are two different forums. Anyone have any ideas on this - whether it's a good idea or bad idea?
    I think it can work well together. If you are traveling then food & lodgings are usually together. At worst, someone will need to look through food entries if they only want lodging and the reverse.
    Sincerely,
    Anthony

Combining lodging and food sounds good to me.

Well I combined "Lodging" and "Restaurants" into one forum and I also combined "Recreational Sports" & "(Outdoor) Activities" into one forum. It seemed to work properly.

BTW - I'm thinking about adding a "Shopping" thread, where people can discuss the best places to shop. We have great shopping in NJ, no sales tax on clothes or shoes and in teh Urban Enterprse Zones (UEZ) we have only 3% sales tax on everything else, compared to New Jersey's normal 6% and NY's 8.5%. So what do you think - would that be a good addition?

New Jersey Proud!

I think its a good idea.
    DAVE GERING
    MANAGER JERSEY STORE EWR

Quote Originally Posted by davegering
    I think its a good idea.
    Well of course you would - you manage the Jersey Store at Newark Liberty International Airport.

New Jersey Proud!

BTW - I'm thinking about adding a "Shopping" thread, where people can discuss the best places to shop. We have great shopping in NJ, no sales tax on clothes or shoes and in teh Urban Enterprse Zones (UEZ) we have only 3% sales tax on everything else, compared to New Jersey's normal 6% and NY's 8.5%. So what do you think - would that be a good addition?
    It is a good idea, but the information will need to be updated every now and then. (or perhaps have a disclaimer about the accuracy of the information.)
    Sincerely,
    Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by MITHRANDIR
    It is a good idea, but the information will need to be updated every now and then. (or perhaps have a disclaimer about the accuracy of the information.)
    Well not really - it's not to present informatin per se - it's a discussion forum. It's to discuss shopping and so forth in NJ. people have to look at time stamps on a messageboard to see whether something is stlil valid or not. The main AboutNewJersey.com is where things have to be more up to date and that will have a shopping guide.

New Jersey Proud!

Tourist

I think it's a good idea to combine some of the topics. I'd also like to suggest a forum for educational activities for parents and children.

Quote Originally Posted by SusieQ
    I think it's a good idea to combine some of the topics. I'd also like to suggest a forum for educational activities for parents and children.
    Welcome SusieQ. I'd have to think about your suggestion, because the way I've tried to break down the site, except for the Jersey Shore area which is broken down by region, is to break it down by attraction types. Educational activities for parents and children can fall under any number of things, from museums to outdoors, to theater, etc, which each one has a forum already. Also, if I add that, the I then people would say "well what about a special section for seniors or singles".

New Jersey Proud!

Maybe there can be a thread on that subject? You or JD could start it, and add links to the original post as they are suggested.

Welcome to the board SusieQ.

New Jersey Tour Guide

I have no problem with the way things are. A shopping thread would be nice. Everything Jersey covers a variety of topics. As for the forums, I think there could be more, not less. There are not too many at all. Marianita

Quote Originally Posted by Marianita
    I have no problem with the way things are. A shopping thread would be nice. Everything Jersey covers a variety of topics. As for the forums, I think there could be more, not less. There are not too many at all. Marianita
    There could be a shopping one. I did recreate the NJ Politics thread. I've considered consolidating the Jersey Shore section, but I think it's best to have it broken out so people who are looking for a particular area of the Jersey will find it a bit easier. Anything that is general to the Jersey Shore just goes into the "General" forum.

I have a friend who said that the forum is too big and takes to long to look through, but I think once a person is used to it, it's pretty well organized. The most important thing is to attract more members who will contribute to the site. A messageboard is only as good as the number of active members.

New Jersey Proud!

New Jerseyan

Talking messageboards

I think the messageboards are fine .Plenty of topics .I dont know if you have one on our great history , but you should . It could help create more state pride and get the truth out about our GREAT history ! Remember NEW JERSEY HISTORY , SECOND TO NONE !

Quote Originally Posted by NJPRIDE
    I think the messageboards are fine .Plenty of topics .I dont know if you have one on our great history , but you should . It could help create more state pride and get the truth out about our GREAT history ! Remember NEW JERSEY HISTORY , SECOND TO NONE !
    NJPRide - I agree with you. There is truly no other state that comes close to the diverse history New Jersey has, from colonial, to revolutionary to Thomas Edison and Eistein, the USS New Jersey, and so much more. I realy wish that New Jersey promoted it's history much better (or even just more than the zero amount they do now)

I'm on the board of the Princeton Battlefield Society, so of course we have a History forum. You can find it under Arts & Entertainment - Historic Sites & Reenactments.

New Jersey Proud!

New Jersey Tour Guide

Default message boards

Well, Jersey Devil, the boards are fine but I feel that more is better. That way people can go through and reply to whatever they find interesting. The idea of New Jersey pictures is a wonderful idea as people like myself who are 3000 miles away can order online. I always fly to NJ and cannot bring back large pictures. Infact I always have too much luggage as it is. lol. There are no direct flights into Philly so it makes it hard to carry much. Last trip my luggage somehow stayed in Los Angeles and they had to deliver it to my home after getting it to Bakersfield. Anyway my suggestion is that if the message boards become too full you can go back and delete some of the older stuff. You are doing a great job. Marianita