View Poll Results: Who should be governor?

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • Doug Forrester

3 75.00%
  • Jon Corzine

0 0%
  • Other

1 25.00%
  • Not Sure

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Doug Forrester or Jon Corzine

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

well I have one thing to say now - I think Corzine bought the election. I was just on rt 1 and there is a huge billboard with Corzine's face on it - declaring "Quiet Strength. Strong Leadership". I want to know where in Congress he has ever taken a leadership role? If he hasn't - then how is he a strong leader? Where has he actually demonstrated his leadership. We know he can outspend anyone who tries to run against him - that's the same way with Holt.

I also found it ironic last night, there was Corzine commercial after Corzine commercial, all negatve attack ads against Forrester, but nothing about him. Then after about five commercials - then came the kicker - critizing Forrester about his attack ads and saying that Forrester doesn't want to talk about the issues and only attack. I found it hilarious and ironic since on every commercial break there was a Corzine attack ad against Forrester, and then a commercial where Corzine tries to take the high road.

I just can't wait until November 8th is over with. I don't see why anyone would want to run for office in NJ. So many people say I should run for political office, and I often think about it. The thing is, instead of just working for NJ, it's all about dragging your opponent through the mud, and then I'm sure with Corzine's case, basically just using it as a stepping stone for the presidency. I want someone who has their eyes on helping NJ and ONLY New Jersey while they are governor. That is why we elect our officials. We have too many politicians who worry about national issues and how that will affect them, instead of what will actually make NJ a better state. I honestly think that Forrester would work for New Jersey, whereas I think Corzine just has his eyes on the presidency.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

Well there was another debate on tonight - NBC out of NY. It seems tomorrow that it mght be repeated in the morning on the NBC Philadelphia station (9:00am - 10:00am). I only caught the tail end of it (the last 20 minutes).

The debate was set up in a conversational, sit at a round table across form each other with moderator style. The part that they were discussing whch I came in on was about whether a candidate for governor of NJ should be worrying about national issues or be concentrating on NJ issues. Corzine basically expressed that it was important for the governor to look at national issues, while Forrester said the responsibilty of the governor was to look out for NJ and if the national issue wasn't about NJ - then the governor shouldn't be involved with it. The key national issue that was used as a demonstration was homeland security funds. Corzine wanted to look at the fact that New Jersey wasn't getting it's fair share from the federal government, while Forrester pointed out, how could the governor of NJ fight for more funs and be taken seriously when NJ squandered so much of those funds. McGreevey had sent the homeland security funds to the cities and towns who supported him, and then Newark wasted the funds on garbage trucks. Forrester pointed out that the governor should fight for more funds for NJ of course - but the governor also has a responsibilty to make sure the funds that are reecieved are used properly and not as payoffs for support.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

New Jersey Proud!

Okay - this is just ridiculous. Channel 7 ABC News NY just had on highlights from the debate. Corzine was taken off guard about the legal drinking age. He didn't know what it was and he thought it was 18 years old. How can you be a politician and not know how the Federal Government, congress in particular, forced the states to raise the drinking age to 21 by threatening to withhold federal highway funds to any state who didn't raise it.

I do disagree with Forresters answer that he doesn't support lowering the drinking age. I think it should be 18. All it has done is increase the age where people binge drink - which when you think about it when people are in college - with even less parental guidance. At least with 18 - parents are still involved and can provide some control over the drinking. If you can fight in war, or vote - you should be responsiible enough to drink.

I still can't get over that Corzine had no idea what the drinking age was though.

[edit] My cousin found the gubernatorial debates on NBC so people who want can watch them (note you'll have to shut off any pop-up blockers which I hate)

Accusations Fly In N.J. Gubernatorial Debate
    One Shows Dead Heat

POSTED: 11:57 pm EST November 3, 2005
    UPDATED: 10:29 pm EST November 5, 2005

WOODBRIDGE, N.J. -- With the New Jersey governor's race reaching new levels of acrimony in the home stretch, the two major candidates faced off on live television Saturday night, addressing the sleazy turn the campaign has taken.

Sitting across a small table from each other in the WNBC Channel 4 studios, U.S. Sen. Jon Corzine and businessman Doug Forrester were asked right off to talk about the ugly tone of the contest.

"I think we have a great opportunity tonight to give viewers a break on the negative tone that has surrounded the last few weeks of the campaign," Corzine said.

The two then traded barbs and accusations for the next 25 minutes before discussing any substantive issues.

Host Gabe Pressman played negative television commercials from each campaign, then asked the candidate to explain the disparaging ad.

One ad from the Forrester camp quotes Corzine's ex-wife from a story in Wednesday's New York Times. "All I could think was that Jon did let his family down, and he'll probably let New Jersey down, too" Joanne Corzine told the newspaper.

Corzine reiterated his assertion that his former marriage is not appropriate fodder for the campaign.

"I'll leave it for Mr. Forrester to describe why ... I think it speaks more to his character than it does about mine," he said.

"Well, senator, all this ad is is a quote from the front page of the New York Times where your wife thought it was important to come and identify certain things about public policy and principle," Forrester said.

The debate, the fifth and final face-to-face showdown of the campaign, capped a nasty week on the trail in which the candidates spent millions knocking each other with negative ads and each fielded questions about unsubstantiated rumors.

Earlier in the day, Corzine made a campaign sweep through northern New Jersey early Saturday, while Forrester held a noon rally on the Statehouse steps in Trenton.

During a Statehouse rally that drew about 50 people, Forrester accepted the endorsement of Mothers Against Violence, a Trenton-based group trying to call attention to violence against children.

Kathy McBride, the group's president, described herself as a devout Democrat who would vote for Forrester because she believed he would help reduce violence in urban areas.

Forrester pledged to provide alternatives to incarceration.

"It is so important that we have an opportunity to rebuild the cities with small businesses, with those transitional jobs for people who can come out of a corrections facility and get a job," said Forrester, who added that the solution is not just law enforcement, but education.

At a 60 to 70-person rally for Corzine in Jersey City's Liberty State Park, about two dozen organizations representing 3 million workers and members of environmental, women's and gay rights groups showed support for the senator.

Corzine spoke of his concern for working families and promised to refund the state funds for transportation and education and to protect pensions for working people.

When asked afterward about the negativity in the race and whether it might turn New Jerseyans off even after the election is over, Corzine said he is only focused on the future.

"It's disappointing where the race went in the last week," Corzine said. "Elections are about the future and that's what I'm going to stay talking about for the next three days."

On Friday, Forrester denied reporters' questions over whether he had an extramarital affair. Corzine also rebutted unfounded allegations about sexual indiscretions, saying rumors that he had a sexual relationship with a former staffer were "not true."

On Saturday, Corzine drew on some Democratic star power, with U.S. Sen. Ted Kennedy joining him for a morning labor union rally in Paramus. Democratic National Committee Chairman Howard Dean also campaigned across the state to raise support for the party.

Corzine and Forrester -- both multimillionaires -- have already spent a combined $70 million on the race, making it the most pricey in state history. And while the issues ostensibly are combatting high property taxes and political corruption, the money itself has mostly gone toward negative television advertising.

With the election only days away, new polls indicate the race is becoming tighter as well as more vicious. A Fairleigh Dickinson University-PublicMind poll released Friday indicated the race was too close to call and that favorable ratings of both candidates were declining.

The latest WNBC/Marist poll out Saturday night found Corzine was favored by 48 percent while Forrester was backed by 42 percent, with 10 percent undecided. The sampling for this poll was done Thursday and Friday.

That came one day after WNBC/Marist showed the race had tightened between Wednesday and Thursday as the new Forrester ad debuted, with the senator's apparent lead trimmed to show the two men about even on Thursday. About three-quarters of registered voters told WNBC/Marist they felt the ad was unfair and about the same number said it would make no difference in their decisions Tuesday.

A WNBC/Marist poll showed a change between Wednesday and Thursday as the new Forrester ad debuted, with the senator's apparent lead trimmed to show the two men about even on Thursday. About three-quarters of registered voters told WNBC/Marist they felt the ad was unfair and about the same number said it would make no difference in their decisions Tuesday.

The most recent Quinnipiac University poll puts Corzine's lead at 12 percentage points.

Corzine and Forrester both had big plans for Sunday.

Corzine planned to campaign across the state with popular Illinois Sen. Barack Obama. The two were to begin their day attending services at Shiloh Baptist Church in Trenton before attending rallies in five cities: West Long Branch, Edison, Newark, Paterson and Hackensack.

Forrester, who campaigned with former Gov. Tom Kean on Saturday, planned to meet with voters at several sites across the state before ending his day at a rally in Monmouth County.
    Couple of observations on the first part of the debate...

Corzine is very defensive and he only talks about national issues he dealt with in the senate. What did he do for NEW JERSEY while he was there? He's supposed to be representing us, so why doesn't he talk abtu anything he did for the CITIZENS of New Jersey? Could it be because he hasn't done anything for us, but only worried about national issues? No wonder why NJ is one of the state that gives the most money to the federal government, but gets back the least in return. Another thing that bothers me is thet Corzine keeps saying how the NY Times supports him as governor. I don't really care that a NY newspaper supports him for governor. Again - what about New Jersey? He also mentioned how the Philadelphia Inquirer supported him. I didn't know Philadelphia or NY had a vote in our elections? maybe we should go and ask California what they think and who they support for New JERSEY'S governor?

Forrester seems much more cool and collected than Corzine.

BTW - the drinking age confussion is in beginning of part 3. Corzine recovers himself and says he supports lowering the drinking age, while Forrester doesn't. However Corzine supports a statewide ban on smoking. I don't support that - I say let the market forces decide whether restaurants choose to go no smoking or allow smoking. I don't see where the government has to get involved. The Princetonian Diner on Rt 1 voluntarily went "no smoking" and have a huge banner outside declaring this fact. They must have decided it's good for business.

The issue of stem cells came up and Corzine supports government FUNDING for stem cells. I however don't and it has nothing to do with moral issues. I just don't think the government should be involved in science. I think the science community should be free to determine what the BEST research is.

Generally what strikes me as the difference between the two candidates - and I've said this before - Forrester talks more about NJ, improving NJ, being PROUD to be a New Jerseyan, while Corzine worries about national issues and obviously what foreign newspapers (Philadelphia Inquirer and NY Times) think of him. I'm sorry - I want someone who is going to do something for NJ.

After watching the three debates and looking at the candidates. I will now vote in the poll and be completely comfortable when I go to the voting booth on Tuesday.

New Jersey Proud!

Quote Originally Posted by davegering
    I noticed both candidates have called out the big guns it seems like it is CLINTON vs GUILIANNI
    A preview of a future election?
    Sincerely,
    Anthony

NJ & You, Perfect Together

Quote Originally Posted by MITHRANDIR
    A preview of a future election?
    Off topic - but I'm hoping for Hlllary vs Condi. I don't think Guilliani would win the Republican nomination.

New Jersey Proud!

Well tomorrow is election day. I hope everyone wil get out and vote. I won't say how to vote, that is up to everyone else and what is important to them. I know what is important to me and that is making NJ the best state in the nation and fighting for the rights of New Jersey and New Jerseyans.

New Jersey Proud!

Default VOTE

Or is that New Jerseyites
    DAVE GERING
    MANAGER JERSEY STORE EWR

Or is that New Jerseyites
    You're itching for a banning.

New Jersey Proud!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDevil
    Well tomorrow is election day. I hope everyone wil get out and vote. I won't say how to vote, that is up to everyone else and what is important to them. I know what is important to me and that is making NJ the best state in the nation and fighting for the rights of New Jersey and New Jerseyans.

In theory that is what all the politicians should be doing. Making things the best that they can for the people they represent. (In this case it is for NJ)

Please everyone go out and vote today.
    Sincerely,
    Anthony

NJ & You, Perfect Together

Quote Originally Posted by MITHRANDIR
    In theory that is what all the politicians should be doing. Making things the best that they can for the people they represent. (In this case it is for NJ)
    Yes - in theory, but it seems like NJ has a history of politicians who sell NJ out to the highest bidder. Either that, or we also have a set of politicians who concentrate on national issues and then claim that they're working for NJ. When a state has the highest median income, and it's representative is voting for tax increases for the "wealthy" - then they're working AGAINST the state. What is considered wealthy in NJ is a far cry from what is considered wealthy in Indiana or Mississippi.

New Jersey Proud!

Well today is election day. I will be going around 2:00 after the lunchhour rush, but before the on the way home rush.

It sort of bugs me how the media tries to make this a national referendum on the federal government - and in particular what people think about George Bush. I mean come on, Bush lost NJ, so if Forreter loses to Corzine how is that necessarily an indication that people didn't vote for Forrester because of Bush? Might it just indicate that NJ is a left leaning state - which it is and has nothing to do with Bush? If Bloomberg wins the NY Mayoral race - does that mean that that is a sign of support for Bush? Hardly! But the media likes to read into everything and ignores certain facts, such as all politics are local. I look at different issues based on whether it's a national or a state election. Whether it's govenor, congressman or president, each has a different responsibilty and role within government and has different agendas. When a presidential candidate goes on and on about an issue which is not under the presidential juristidiction, but falls under congress or the states, I ignore it. I know that they have no say in that issue and its stupid for them to even waste time talking about it. I find that not enough people really understand the different roles and just lumps everyone under "politician" That's how we get politicians in Congress who work for national agendas - instead of fighting for and representing NJ in the federal government.

New Jersey Proud!

The Corzine crew stopped in the JERSEY! store today and spent 250 dollars on Lapel Pins. When will the spending stop. Also the only place they could find them was at the airport.
    DAVE GERING
    MANAGER JERSEY STORE EWR

The Corzine crew stopped in the JERSEY! store today and spent 250 dollars on Lapel Pins. When will the spending stop. Also the only place they could find them was at the airport.
    Well you wouldn't expect them to find them any place else - like maybe the New JERSEY Turnpike rest stops. Of course not there - they sell only NY crap there. He couldn't go to Liberty State Park - again - only NY junk there. So he had to go to the ONE TRUE 100% nothing but New JERSEY store at Newark Liberty International Airport.

BTW - if they were SO supportive of New Jersey like they claim - don't you think they would have already HAD New Jersey lapel pins?

Also - I hope you told him about AboutNewJersey.com and what is discussed on this forum. I tell people about your store all the time - you need to return the favor.

New Jersey Proud!

I'm fed up with getting these phone calls from the Corzine campaign. For the last 5 days - Ive been getting call after call. The other day I got three calls one after another. It's frigging annoying. We have a NO call list and I know it doesn't apply to politicians - but the thing is it shows how little respect they have if they can't voluntarily abide by the No Call list. I just got another phone call from "Bill Clinton". This is the second one today, I had gotten one previously in the morning. I had not gotten ONE fake phone call from Forrester's camp.

New Jersey Proud!

Cool

BTW - I voted. I guess that's another reason why I'm pissed at the Corzine phone calls. Anyway I love election day. I stay glued to the tv the entre night watching the returns come in, seeing who is in the lead and what is happening. I think that New Jersey's will be close, but I have a feeling that Corzine will win. I don't have much faith in the New Jersey electorate to elect a competent governor. I mean come on - this is the same state that voted in McGreevey. I would think that after all the scandals of McGreevey that NJ would have welcomed a change, but it really seems like it will be business as usual. Here's hoping for the best though, keeping my fingers crossed and sitting on the edge of my seat, while biting my nails.

New Jersey Proud!

Well the AP has declared Corzine the winner. If this is true - I really hope the majority of NJ voters knew what they were doing this time - unlike with McGreevey. I think it wil b more of the same, and not much fighting for NJ or working for NJ. Only time will tell.

New Jersey Proud!

Looks like NJ has been blessed with 4 Years With Governor Balding!

Well it seems that it's over NJN, Millenium broadcasting and AP have all declared Corzine the winner. I was hoping for a more drawn out battle, but it seemed like it was just straight through for Corzine. I guess we'll see how the next 4 years go. I hope Corzine fights for NJ, I'm going to to keep an eye on him and make sure he does. Of course - if Forrester had won - I would have been feeling the same way and keeping an eye on him.

EDIT- Forrester is giving his concession speech. So the 2005 election is over. So now this thread will move over to talk about pst election soon and what will be important for Corzine to do to REALLY change NJ. Even though I didn't vote for Corzine - he is still my governor, along with all New Jerseyans. As with any politician, we need to make sure they work for our interests. NJ is a great state and I would like a governor who really works for the interests of New Jersey and not the interests of California, NY, sports teams who don't even want to be here, etc. We need a governor who will put New Jersey first. Even though I have my doubts on Corzine - I am hoping he will prove me wrong for the sake of New Jersey.

New Jersey Proud!

Well the worst may be happening. It seems as if Corzine made a pledge to dismantle the Commerce, Econonmic Growth and Tourism Commission. No one knows what will happen to tourism. From what I gathered tonght the tourism industry is worried, wondering if right when they're getting some movement, that Corzien is going to pull the rug from under them. I wouldn't be surprised if Corzine doesn't see the benefits of tourism. I don't really think he cared much about NJ during the campaign, why would he now.

Also, I was watching NJN news tonight and they had Corzine on. I really honestly think he has absolutely NO plan on what he is going to do when he gets in office. He was just so inarticulare on what he was going to do, it was unbelievable. As I said earlier, we'll have to see if the majority of New Jerseyans gave us a good governor or another McGreevey. Right now it just seems like more of the same.

New Jersey Proud!

With the Gubernatorial elections coming up, i wanted to bump this thread up. Remind people of what was Corzine promising. Ask yourself - how much ahs he accomplished in 4 years. I guess if you consider the government shutdown wtih all state agencies closed for 3 days and everything else as an accomplishment - then I guess you will be voting him back in office in November.

My cousin doesn't think that Corzine will get reelected. I don't have that much faith in the New Jersey voters though.

Oh wait - we have the 2nd Hudson Rail Tunnel to export our jobs to NY and stimulate Manhattan's economy. Since when did New York City become part of New Jersey????

New Jersey Proud!