Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 67

Thread: The New Jersey accent and other stereotypes

  1. #21
    New Jersey Tour Guide Jersey Warren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Ave Maria, Florida
    Posts
    250

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by DebbieSans
    Does anyone else have the "You say tomato, I say tomahto" song running through their heads? I've always said New-erk, Puh-SAY-ick and Suh-cau-cus too, and I grew up in Bergen County. My dad, however, who grew up in Paterson used to say them the other way.

    Deb
    There is a definite difference, even from county to county. While my grandfather (Hudson county raised) said Newick (rhymes with Buick), I called it New-erk, like you, being a Bergen County native. (Some people from other states call it New ARK, as in, Noah built a new boat!)

    I went to high school with several kids from Passaic and they all pronounced it Pa-SAKE. My family owned a restaurant on Main Avenue in Passaic in 1965 and all of the natives said it that way. Age affects someone's pronunciations, too, since sometimes they evolve with time. For example, I'm 58 and I remember when Secaucus was known for its pig farms. Maybe people who wanted to divest themselves of that image decided that Se CAUCUS sounded more gentile that SEA caucus! Beats me.

    I also remember real NJ oldtimers (over 50 years ago) who pronounced Route (as in Route 4) to rhyme with "out" instead of like root. But that seemed to die out.

  2. #22
    New Jersey Tour Guide
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    373

    Default New Jersey accents

    Hi Jersey warren, I always pronounced Newark new ark but I guess the proper way is to say it is Newerk. I agree that accents do change with age and location. I was born and raised in Maryland, am Norwegian and live in California so think what that would do ones accent. lol. People still say they know I am not from here. As for the word ''route,'' I think it does depend on location. I always pronounce it ''root.'' Take care. Marianita

  3. #23
    Moderator MITHRANDIR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Ocean County
    Posts
    205

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marianita
    Hi Jersey warren, I always pronounced Newark new ark but I guess the proper way is to say it is Newerk. I agree that accents do change with age and location. I was born and raised in Maryland, am Norwegian and live in California so think what that would do ones accent. lol. People still say they know I am not from here. As for the word ''route,'' I think it does depend on location. I always pronounce it ''root.'' Take care. Marianita
    I have used both pronounciations (sp?) for route 46. ("root" and "rout")
    I usually use "root" though.

    Newark I think should be closer to "Newerk" than "New ARK" (1 word vs. 2 words).

    Newerk is probably from trying to say Newark too quickly.
    Sincerely,
    Anthony


    NJ & You, Perfect Together

  4. #24
    New Jersey Tour Guide Jersey Warren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Ave Maria, Florida
    Posts
    250

    Default The Online Survey of English Dialects

    Hi new friends,

    Anyone who is really interested in this topic might like to view (and take, if it's still open) the dialect survey created by Bert Vaux, of the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee.

    I took it sometime ago. But if you do, be prepared to set aside a couple of hours. I think there are a few hundred questions.

    Here's the link: http://www3.uwm.edu/Dept/FLL/linguis...p?SurveyID=101

    P.S. At times, I hae been asked on message boards to give my example of a celebrity who talks with a "real" New Jersey accent. The best example I think of is Alan Alda, who to me, sounds very much like the people I grew up with.
    Last edited by Jersey Warren; 04-13-2006 at 02:16 PM.

  5. #25
    New Jersey Tour Guide
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    373

    Default

    Hi mithrander, I will pronounce Newark new werk from now on. lol. Keep me updated on how these things are done. Soon I will be Jersey bound. Take care. Marianita

  6. #26
    New Jersey Tour Guide Jersey Warren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Ave Maria, Florida
    Posts
    250

    Default Where did "big hair" become associated with New Jersey?

    I was very surprised recently to learn that "big hair" somehow became associated with New Jersey! This is completly outside my scope of experience. The last time I remember "big hair" in New Jersey was around 1963 or 1964 or so when the "teased" look and lots of hair spray were popular. (As illustrated by Lady Bird Johnson [she was Texan but I'll explain that in a minute] and "girl bands" like the ones who did "Leader of the Pack." (Shangri-Las?)

    Around 1963, when the Beach Boys and Jan and Dean became popular, the "surfer look" became popular, especially with those who went to the Shore a lot. My home was almost two hours from the prime surfing beaches, yet it seemed every girl bleached (and even ironed) her hair to get it straight and blonde. Even some guys who were into the surfer image bleached their hair. A friend of mine, Mike Winget (who now lives in Huntington Beach, Calif.) used to leave his board on his car all week long (he was a weekend surfer) so that when he cruised down Main Street in Ramsey after school, girls who all look and point and go "O-ooo! Look! A surfboard!"

    Then with the Beatles came the Carnaby Street look (which also included vinyl micro minis, wide vinyl belts, and vinyl boots with textured stockings) started by London designer Mary Quant and popularized by Mick Jagger's girlfriend Maryanne Faithful, and that also involved long, straight hair. Ditto with the folksinger look popularized by singers such as Carly Simon, Joan Baez, Mary of Peter, Paul, and Mary, etc. That look was still popular when I left New Jersey in 1970.

    But up until 1989, I was back for a visit at least twice a year. All of my brothers' wives were very preppy during the 80s and cerainly did not have "big hair." They still wore their hair fairly straight, shoulder length, with a little flip at the end.

    I spent 1989-1992 in Los Angeles County and still no big hair. The first time I encountered it was in the Dallas area, especially among the Country & Western crowd. In fact, until I moved to Texas, I thought they had stopped making hairspray sometime in the late 60s! So, I went from 1964 to 1992 without every seeing "big hair," except in Texas. So how did New Jersey get stuck with that undeserved image?

    Any clues, anyone?

    Edited to note I forgot a couple of other styles I remember seeing on women in the 70s and 80s: the shag look, the Farah Fawcett look, and the short curly perm. But I never saw the "big poofy hair," either in Massachusetts or during my twice-a-year visits to New Jersey. However, I only visited between Bergen County and Ocean County. I rarely went in the heavily urban areas of N.J. during those years.
    Last edited by Jersey Warren; 04-22-2006 at 09:41 PM.

  7. #27
    New Jerseyan
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    67

    Default Big hair

    Hi Warren,

    Big hair was definitely prevalent in Jersey in the early to mid 80s. It wasn't "beehive" big like in the 60s...it was more..."poofy". The style in my high school was long, poofy hair, teased up at the top (guilty look). A good, if somewhat exaggerated, example of this style can be seen in the movie Working Girl with Melanie Griffith.

    Take care,
    Debbie
    If you're a Jersey musician, please check out my Yahoo! Group, NJ Musician's Network...where you can meet and network with other NJ musicians. Sign up is easy (and free) http://groups.yahoo.com/group/njmusiciansnet/

  8. #28
    New Jersey Tour Guide
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    373

    Default Jersey accent

    Hi Jersey Pride, It looks like we have 2 topics here so I will touch on both. I know that there were puffy hairstyles in the late 50's and 60's. In the early 70's I had an afro. I wore the puffy hairdo's too and my pictures look old fashioned. It could be that New Jersey got a rep for big hair due to the styles some of the bands have. Actually I did not see anyone with big hair in New Jersey, nary a one.
    As for the Jersey accent I am not sure if it comes from New York or what, maybe it does. I have one myself but as I said before it may be blended with my being Norwegian and speaking fluent Spanish and living here. My granddaughter in New Jersey is almost 6 and I talked to her on the phone the other night. My son is on his 3rd year there in Marlton. Well, my little granddaughter does have an accent now. She goes to school and picked it up. At any rate no one says,''I'm from Joisey,'' except maybe New Yorkers. I myself think it is pretty awesome to have kept some of my east coast accent. Marianita

  9. #29
    Tourist
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1

    Default Passer By's

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Stephenson
    I feel I have to weigh in at this point...

    I agree with the sentiments above and it is kind of funny that the national perception of NJ is based on the very limited views available from the NJTP and Parkway.

    But on the flip side, I kind of like the fact that this perception has limited the tourist traffic to some degree. I know that the shore towns and other areas really depend on that tourism but this state is getting pretty crazy when it comes to traffic.

    Alot of my "leave it alone" sentiment also derives from the fact that when I g camping or site seeing or just walking the boardwalk i really don't want to have to listen to somebody with a "different" accent whining about NJ.

    I like my state and I don't like people "passing thru" complaining about it.

    As JerseyDevil said (but I will say it a little less tactfully): YOU DON'T LIKE IT THEN GET THE HECK OUT!!!
    Yeah .. only the out of staters are the ones that really commute on the turnpike, the parkway or the AC expressway.. because if you're really from Jersey .. you know better than to travel that way. If you live in South Jersey .. you know that you can get to the shore by either Delsea Drive, Black Horse Pike or Route 9. You also know to take 42 towards Philly.

    I miss Jersey so much!!!

  10. #30
    New Jersey Tour Guide
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    373

    Default

    Missing NJ, I really do, especially since my new grandson was born there on the 23rd in MtHolly. I wish I was there but have no vacation time left. I rather like traveling along the parkway but nice to know that there are easier ways to get where you want to go. New Jersey is the best place on earth and I intend to live there some day. Take care. Marianita

  11. #31

    Default

    Hehe I live 5 minutes from Newark and we do in fact pronounce it " Nork " most times.

    Now I know a lot of folks hate the spilting up the state but there are some differences - I grew up in Jersey City and when I moved to essex county I definitely had a "jersey accent" even though its 10 minutes away .
    When I used to visit the grandparents in PA when I was a kid I was constantly asked to say words like " quarter , chocolate and coffee". I can always tell a Hudson county native by their accent-

    And ever drive the Belleville turnpike on a hot summer day - smells like death - but its not the whole state people

    But it could be worse we could be known for kissing cousins

  12. #32
    New Jersey Tour Guide
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    373

    Smile New Jersey accent

    Hi Nvme, I too pronounce Newark ''Nork'' because my son in Marlton said that is how it is said. lol. I am not sure about the accent but everyone seemed to have one when I was there. lol. I myself am from the east coast originally, Maryland, and everyone knows I am not from here because of the way I talk. I found myself sort of copying the way things are said when I was in Jersey but not intentionally. I do notice my 6 yr old granddaughter has a definite accent now after 3 yrs there. Now as for the the turnpike I rather like it myself. I am a Jersian at heart. My granddaughter in Marlton took some pictures with my camera. Being only six she did rather well. She took a nice snapshot of ''Dunkin Donuts'', also a sign that said ''Medford'' and some open fields and wooded area and an excellent snapshot of my son's neighbors car. lol. These things alone made me miss New Jersey. I am thankful that my new grandson was born there. What a fortunate little person. Take care. Marianita

  13. #33
    New Jersey Tour Guide Jersey Warren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Ave Maria, Florida
    Posts
    250

    Default Ever been to Solvang?

    Quote Originally Posted by Marianita
    Hi Jersey warren, I always pronounced Newark new ark but I guess the proper way is to say it is Newerk. I agree that accents do change with age and location. I was born and raised in Maryland, am Norwegian and live in California so think what that would do ones accent. lol. People still say they know I am not from here. As for the word ''route,'' I think it does depend on location. I always pronounce it ''root.'' Take care. Marianita
    Hi Marianita,

    This is a real old thread, but I never commented about this before. You said your ancestry is Norwegian and you live in California. I lived in California for two and a half years years [1989-1992] and always wanted to visit Solvang, which is a little north of Santa Barbara. I visited Santa Barbara twice and each time, when I suggested visiting Solvang, I was outvoted by others who wanted to head for home.

    Solvang was settled by Danish settlers (I know, not Norwegian,but Scandinavian) and they have a Danish style shopping village there. Maybe someday I'll get back there.

  14. #34
    New Jersey Tour Guide
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    373

    Default New Jersey accent

    H Jersey Warren, How have you been? What part of California did you live in? I have not been to Solvang but would like to go. I found a Scandinavian shop in San Diego and have gone back there a couple of times. but I hear great things about Solvang. As for the Scandinvian shop I found it by accident. I was on a cruise ship and it stopped for the day in San Diego and that is when I found the shop.
    There is absolutely nothing like that here. Infact there are people here who do not even know what a Norwegian is. LOL. especially one who speaks Spanish. Anyway I hope you get to Solvang and I hope I do too. By the way the Solvang shop probably carries Norwegian and Swedish products as well as Danish. Take care, Marianita

  15. #35
    New Jersey Tour Guide Jersey Warren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Ave Maria, Florida
    Posts
    250

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marianita
    H Jersey Warren, How have you been? What part of California did you live in?
    Hi Marianita,

    I lived in Glendora, which is between "the 210" and "the 10" (in California speak) about 18 miles directly east of Pasadena. (I recently found out how Sig alerts got their name, when the man after whom they were named, whose last name began with Sig Sigfried or something passed away.)

    From where we were, we could go down to Pomona and pick up the Newport Beach Freeway and be at Orange County beaches in an hour. We could also head east "San Berdoo" and visit apple farms in the mountains in an hour, or Palm Springs in two hours. I liked it there pretty much, except for the lack of good Italian food (unless you went near Hollywood and all its East Coast transplants) and the fact that I couldn't find work and we nearly went broke!

    It's alway good to hear from you!

    P.S. I twice had to correct my directions in this post and replace west with east. I always did that when out there and was told it was a common mistake for East Coast transplants. Easterners alway regard anything away from the ocean as "west," whereas in California it's the opposite. It's also strange when you get on I-10 ("the 10") in Santa Monica and see a sign that says, "East Los Angeles." That's the ony place in the country where L.A. can be East!
    Last edited by Jersey Warren; 03-02-2007 at 08:37 AM.

  16. #36
    New Jersey Tour Guide
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    373

    Default

    Hi Jersey Warren, I have a brother in Glendora. I have been all those places, driven the 210 and San berdoo. I have family all over the LA area. I can tell you that Central California is by far better, a different world.
    I have never lost my east coast roots. Everyone knows I am not from here as it is easy to tell.
    As for the Italian food I really do not know of any good places here, the real thing. I love Italian food and enjoy cooking it. I fixed ziti at work the other day.
    I am an east coast transplant also. lol. Have a wonderful day. marianita

  17. #37
    Tourist
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Freehold, NJ
    Posts
    3

    Default

    I'm really late to the party on this, but I just came accross this thread (and forum as a whole) and had to jump on the "Nork" train. My father works in Newark, and ever since I was little, I've called it "Nork". I had no idea that it was seriously called anything else until I graduated from college and started working. Once, however, I heard a news reporter on a Philadelphia station refer to it as "New Ark". That totally blew my mind, and I assumed that she was new to the area.

    Regarding the various lists - I think they are very funny, however so many of the items tend to be region and lifestyle specific and can take away from the implied generality. I lived in Essex County when I was in elementary school, lived in Union County until sophmore year of high school, went to college in Gloucester County, and I currently live in Monmouth County. I only get "most" of the jokes because of the places I've lived. I think that it is funny that I'm still in the process of "getting" the references. For example, calling New York "The City" is completely new to me. I only became aware of it because I was recently working in Edison, and many of my coworkers refered to living or working in "The City".

  18. #38
    New Jersey Tour Guide Jersey Warren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Ave Maria, Florida
    Posts
    250

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    I'm really late to the party on this, but I just came accross this thread (and forum as a whole) and had to jump on the "Nork" train. My father works in Newark, and ever since I was little, I've called it "Nork". I had no idea that it was seriously called anything else until I graduated from college and started working. Once, however, I heard a news reporter on a Philadelphia station refer to it as "New Ark". That totally blew my mind, and I assumed that she was new to the area.

    Regarding the various lists - I think they are very funny, however so many of the items tend to be region and lifestyle specific and can take away from the implied generality. I lived in Essex County when I was in elementary school, lived in Union County until sophmore year of high school, went to college in Gloucester County, and I currently live in Monmouth County. I only get "most" of the jokes because of the places I've lived. I think that it is funny that I'm still in the process of "getting" the references. For example, calling New York "The City" is completely new to me. I only became aware of it because I was recently working in Edison, and many of my coworkers refered to living or working in "The City".
    Hi Dreamer, and welcome to the forum!

    I've seen all the "You know you're from New Jersey" lists, too and I usually relate to over half of them. There are two factors that make it impossible for these lists to be universal for everyone: 1) They are region specific, and 2) they are age specific. I grew up in Bergen County but the rest of my family moved to Ocean County the year after I got married. So I am familiar with both places and aware of the differences. (In Ocean County it's a "sub"; in Bergen County it's a "hero.") To appreciate why Northeast New Jerseyans call New York "the City," they have posters at the train station in Ridgewood advertising plays at the theaters in Manhattan. In grammar school, we took class trips to the Bronx Zoo and the Museum of Natural History. My next-door neighbor had season box seats at Yankee Stadium and Ralph Houk, the manager of the Yankees lived in Saddle River. I once saw him in the Swiss Pork Store. As a boy, I could stand in an apple orchard in Upper Saddle River and see the Manhattan skline silouetted in hazy blue along the horizon it was that close.

    Both of my grandfathers said things differently than I did because they grew up in Jersey City and in a different era. (The very early 1900s). My grandfather called Newark New-ick (rhymes with Buick). They said radiator "RAD-iator" with a short a, not "RAID-iator." They referred to highways as "ROWT" 4 or "ROWT" 7, not "ROOT." (Interestingly, people in Wisconsin say that too, maybe it's a German thing.) My grandfather always ran the name of Jersey City together so it came out like "Jerzzcity."

    Of course, some things ARE universal to New Jersey, particularly diners. The idea of popping into a diner for eggs and Taylor ham, or bacon, or sausage at 2 or 3 am on a Sunday morning after a big night out are a Jersey tradition.

    One thing that always annoys me is when out of staters pronounce our state New Joisey! (G-r-r-r-r-r! ) It always prompts this dialogue:

    "Why do you call it Joisey?"
    "Because that's how they say it there."
    "No they don't."
    "Yes, they do, I heard them."
    "NO you didn't""
    "YES I did!"
    "If you heard someone call it 'Joisey' they must have been an eighth-grade dropout from Brooklyn, because NO ONE from New Jersey calls it 'Joisey.'!"
    "What do they call it, then?"
    "New JER-zee. It rhymes with Mersey, the river in Liverpool, England. Remember the Jerry and the Pacemakers song: 'Ferry 'Cross the Mersey'? Well from New York, you could take the ferry 'cross to Jersey!"
    "Well, where are you from?"
    "New Jersey."
    "Then how come you don't talk funny?"
    "What do you mean?"
    "You don't say Joisey!"

    G-r-r-r-r-r-r!
    Last edited by Jersey Warren; 02-22-2008 at 08:26 AM.

  19. #39
    New Jersey Tour Guide
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    373

    Default New Jersey accent

    Hi Jersey Warren, How have you been? I learned from my son that Newark is pronounced ''Nork''. Dreamer said that that is how he knew it to be said all his life. Now as for the accents it is hard to say but there is a difference in the way people talk but ''Joisey?'' I never heard it there.
    The funny thing is that people from here have asked me if I was going back to ''Joisey.'' Now I don't think people there talk funny although people always asked me where I was from, not so much anymore. I do have some kind of an accent and used to get teased when using the intercom at work so now don't want to use it. I am rather proud to be from the east coast. I meet all kinds of people who were born here and have never been anywhere. I mean nowhere out of California. Can you imagine such a thing?
    Jersey Devil can tell you we sure had fun in ''Nork'' with Dave and my son and daughter-in-law. Marianita

  20. #40
    New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Toms River NJ (Jersey Shore)
    Posts
    1,551

    Default

    I've been too busy to post and I do have a lot to say - but realy quick about the pronunciation of Newark. I have never heard it pronounced Nork - rhyming with "York" My father grew up in Newark and pronounces it like I do - New-erk.

    BTW - welcome Dreamer.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

    Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

    AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook


    New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •