Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

The New Jersey State Flag

Thread: The New Jersey State Flag

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Default The New Jersey State Flag

Do you know what the New Jersey State Flag looks like? I bought one the other day and I have it hanging. I was shocked to find out that my cousin had no idea what one looked like. He kept telling me how nice the flag looks and then finally asked - "you did know what the NJ State Flag looks like right?" - Then he said no - that he never knew what it looked like. He said he knows what the NY flag looks like - but not New Jersey's. The real sad thing is - I know he's not alone in this. I was at Washington Crossing State Park and I was walking behind this family. The father looked up at the flagh poles - and wondered out loud what flag that was. He said "it must be Pennsylvania" That one was really bad because they didn't even know what STATE they were in.

This is the New Jersey State Flag for those who don't know -

What gets me about New Jersey's flag is that there are no standards with it. The goddesses wear various colors, the background is different colors. There is no consistency. Now this is different then the fact that many websites completely misrepresent the state flag. Most corporations work very hard on their identities and everything in their logo is completely spelled out. Most flags are handled the same way - so why not New Jersey's?

Go out and ask people if they can describe what New Jersey's flag looks like. I would be interested in seeing how many people you find who have no idea what it looks like.

For more information on the New Jersey State Flag - look at NJ Symbols and Flag
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

New Jerseyan

I wonder how many people know the colors of N.J.s flag was picked out by George Washington. He picked those colors because of our (N.J.s) Dutch heritage. As far as the man who thought it was Penns. flag at Washingtons Crossing, I came across someone who claimed they lived in Jersey for a couple of years and they said that there was no Washington Crossing State Park in N.J. I then told this person where the park was and he said it did not matter because the one in Penn. was better. I fly a N.J. flag along with my Rutgers flag when tailgaiting at Rutgers football games.
    Last edited by NJPRIDE; 03-02-2007 at 04:38 PM.
    NEW JERSEY HISTORY SECOND TO NONE !

Recent Resident Impeach Corzine's Avatar

Default NJ Seal Facts

First I would like to thank you for posting this. How sad a time we live in when people in the country and this state canít even tell us about our own history. They are more concerned about Anna Nicole and where she will lay to rest.

The Great Seal of New Jersey was actually designed by Francis Hopkinson who hired Pierre Eugene du Simitiere, a prominent heraldic artist in Philadelphia. Hopkinson a Bordentown attorney and signer of the Declaration of Independence, Hopkinson was also the designer of the first U.S. flag and portions of the Continental currency. An expert in heraldic symbolism, Hopkinson used old world icons to mark the most important attributes and qualities of New Jersey and its people:

Agriculture
    The central visual element of the design is a shield with three plows, a representation of the critical importance of agriculture to every aspect of daily life and government. The state's economic power as well as its military signifigance was based on the fact that it was the bread basket of the Mid-Atlantic region.

Abundance
    The female figure on the right in the seal is Ceres, the Roman goddess of grain. She holds a cornucopia representing the extraordinary fertile soils and natural abundance of the state's fields, forests and waters.

Liberty
    The female figure on the left is Liberty, holding a staff topped with the same kind of "Liberty cap" worn as a symbol of rebellion by patriots throughout the colonies.

Sovereignty
    Sitting atop the shield between both females is the helmet of a knight's suit of armor a traditional old world symbol of state sovereignty that is also said to be a symbol for the importance of human intelligence and honor to the affairs of state.

Strength
    Framed in plumes above the helmet is a horse's head marking the fact that New Jersey was a major center for the breeding of horses. The equestrian head also symbolizes the attributes of strength, speed and utility in war or commerce.

Hope for the Future
    And below it all, in a banner anchored at its center with the year of independence, is the new state's motto: "Liberty and Prosperity" the two post-war goals of all those in the Indian King Tavern that day who signed this seal into law and, in other legislation, officially changed the status of New Jersey from that of a colony to that of a soverign state in an independent nation.
    Last edited by Impeach Corzine; 03-03-2007 at 07:41 AM.

New Jersey Tour Guide Jersey Warren's Avatar

Thanks for writing all that, everyone. I just added an icon of the New Jersey State flag as my avitar yesterday, before I read any of this!

I have several small NJ state flags that I use to decorate my office at home. One is mounted in a stand I made from an empty Taylor Pork Roll box!
    Last edited by Jersey Warren; 03-08-2007 at 03:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Warren
    Thanks for writing all that, everyone. I just added an icon of the New Jersey State flag as my avitar yesterday, before I read any of this!
    I thought it was because you read this thread that you ended up using the state flag as your avatar.
    I have several small NJ state flags that I use to decorae my office at home. One is mounted in a stand I made from an empty Taylor Pork Roll box!
    I have a mall state flag on my desk. I would like to get one that I can have on my car. Like one of those banner ones that you hook up to the window.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

New Jersey Proud!

I like the animated ones...

] Jokesters, advertisers and political bloggers check out
    Penn Jersey Forums login as guest, password 2011

Quote Originally Posted by njriverman View Post
    I like the animated ones...

I do too - but it's not the New Jersey state flag - it's the wrong color. So if people do a correct one - then I would post it. Since when is our state flag a copper brown color?

New Jersey Proud!

New Jersey Tour Guide Jersey Warren's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDevil View Post
    I do too - but it's not the New Jersey state flag - it's the wrong color. So if people do a correct one - then I would post it. Since when is our state flag a copper brown color?
    Absolutely correct, JD. The New Jersey State flag takes its colors from the buff and blue (buff trousers, blue coats) of the NJ militia during our War for Independence. George Washington, who spent several winters of the war in New Jersey, is often depicted wearing those colors.

Default animated new jersey flag

better color

] Jokesters, advertisers and political bloggers check out
    Penn Jersey Forums login as guest, password 2011

Quote Originally Posted by njriverman View Post

better color
    Close - but our flag is not bright yellow. It seems the people who make these graphics - have never been to NJ and probably have never seen an actual New Jersey flag.

New Jersey Proud!