Thread: The Race For NJ Governor 2009

Recent Resident Impeach Corzine's Avatar

Default The Race For NJ Governor 2009

It has not taken long before Republicans move on from their loss of the Governorship and begin planning to wrestle Drumthwacket back from Jon Corzine in three years. Here's my first short list:

BILL BARONI
    This 33-year-old pro-labor, pro-life Italian/Irish Catholic has won two elections in a Democratic district by substantial margins. The Law Professor from Hamilton Township, perhaps the #1 swing town in the state, was the only Republican to upset an incumbent in '03 when he knocked on 10,000 doors, and he was easily re-elected by 8,000 votes after securing endorsements from labor, business and environmental groups, and ranked #4 in individual fundraising among all legislative candidates.

CHRIS CHRISTIE
    There is no shortage of Republicans who think the corruption-busting United States Attorney should have been the GOP gubernatorial candidate in 2005. A former Morris County Freeholder Director and a formidable fundraiser, the 42-year-old Mendham resident has assembled a strong record of taking on corrupt politicians from both parties and has received more editorial praise than any New Jersey Republican since Gov. Tom Kean. By the end of the Bush presidency, Christie will have held the job for nearly eight years.

MIKE DOHERTY
    The 42-year-old West Point graduate won more votes than any other candidate for the State Assembly in the '05 election. One of the most conservative members of the Legislature, he has the potential of uniting the conservative base that split between Bret Schundler and Steve Lonegan in the last gubernatorial primary. A patent attorney, he has won two tough primaries and nearly a third for Assembly in Warren County, where he served as a Freeholder, and seems anxious to run statewide.

BOB FRANKS
    More than a few Republican leaders have revisited the 2000 Senate campaign, when the politically adept former four-term Congressman from Union County nearly beat Jon Corzine. A moderate Republican, he was able to keep conservatives hapy. Now 55 and running the Healthcare Institute of New Jersey, some say Franks still aspires to be Governor; his '01 bid, as a last minute substitute for Don DiFrancesco, ended in a GOP primary loss. The former Republican State Chairman has always been a favorite of the party faithful.

STEVE LONEGAN
    The Mayor of Bogota ran in 2005 as the most conservative candidate in a field of Republicans who called themselves conservatives. He finished fourth (and probably took away enough votes to deny Bret Schundler the nomination), but clearly established himself as the de facto leader of New Jersey's right wing. Lonegan, who wins local office in a Democratic town in Bergen County by solid margins, is a major force in New Jersey GOP politics, and could run for Governor again.

JOHN MURPHY
    The 45-year-old Morris County Freeholder and former Morris Township Mayor made an impressive bid for the 2005 GOP gubernatorial nomination, a campaign many viewed as a set up for a future run anyway. In a large field, the pro-life, Irish Catholic was the only one to truly break out of the pack; a few extra votes at the Union County convention could have changed the course of history. Republicans think he's a strong campaigner, and he has a huge base in Morris New Jersey's #1 primary county.

MEHMET OZ
    The Turkish-born cardiovascular surgeon from Cliffside Park toyed with an '06 U.S. Senate bid and has become increasingly involved in state GOP politics including a road show with a plan to revitalize the party. The 45-year-old Harvard graduate has had a nationally syndicated cable TV show and potentially some strong fundraising connections within the medical community. He calls himself a pro-choice fiscal conservative.

HAL RAVECHE
    The Stevens Institute of Technology President considered a bid for Governor in 2005, but declined. The self-described pro-choice, anti-gun, pro-business Republican might be the type of centrist that can win a general election. The last time the party out of power ran a strong, articulate and personable University President for Governor they won.

CLIFF SOBEL
    The Short Hills millionaire businessman was a major GOP fundraiser before George W. Bush tapped him as his United States Ambassador to the Netherlands. He briefly mulled a bid for the U.S. Senate in '06 and could easily run against Frank Lautenberg in 2008 or for Governor in '09. The question is whether New Jersey Republicans will nominate another businessman or a Whitman Republican.

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Impeach Corzine - Thank you very much for posting this. If New Jerseyans want change, we have to figure out who the potential contenders are. However, it's not just enough to get a different kind of governor - we really need people in the legislature who will stop cowing towing to the unions and special interests and fight for the benefit of New Jersey. New Jersey is losing jobs, losing population and falling further into debt. We need a complete overhaul in the NJ government in my opinion - from top to bottom - this includes local government and the concept of "home rule".
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

Or maybe you can run JD
    "What! Me, vain? How can you say that about such an awesome person?"

Quote Originally Posted by Aeneas
    Or maybe you can run JD
    Aeneas - aka Hector - you know I would love to be governor. However I don't think New Jerseyans would vote for me anymore. For one thing - I'm not a democrat, second and the main big thing - I'm not in the "old boys" network. I'm trying to figure out how to change New Jersey for the better, even if I can't be governor. We need to clean up the corruption in Trenton. The big holdup on this is why do politicians want to do anything that hurts themselves. We have so many behind closed door deals going on it's ridiculous. Until New Jerseys start voting for people who do the best for New Jersey, we will always be a mess politically.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

New Jersey Proud!

Hey JD, good to see you again.

Well, I can't disagree with what you say...though I can't see why your non-democrat-ness would be too large a stumbling block...you probably are middle on views with most Jerseyans?

Anyways, how is this NJ Governor race developing?

Incidentally, and just to make small talk: Bill Frist, TN's former Sen, and former Senate Maj Leader is thinking about running for TN Gov'ner. Should be an interesting race when it comes around.

Btw, how old do you have to be to run for, say a seat in the House?

Recent Resident Impeach Corzine's Avatar

In Article VI "Legislative", Section I, Paragraph II of the NJ State Constitution it outlines the restrictions regarding age and residency for NJ Senate & Assembly seats.

"No person shall be a member of the Senate who shall not have attained the age of thirty years, and have been a citizen and resident of the State for four years, and of the district for which he shall be elected one year, next before his election. No person shall be a member of the General Assembly who shall not have attained the age of twenty-one years and have been a citizen and resident of the State for two years, and of the district for which he shall be elected one year, next before his election. No person shall be eligible for membership in the Legislature unless he be entitled to the right of suffrage."

I guess I'm a quite a ways from being a Senator then...General Assembly I could qualify for in a year...

*plans evil schemes*

New Jerseyan

Lonegan does a weekly radio program in the Atlantic City area - every Friday 3-5 - forget the station offhand - he has a group called "Americans for Prosperity" that is aligned with the group of his radio co host - that group is called "Liberty and Prosperity". I think some serious grass roots efforts are going to have to happen because the politicians aren't going to change their ways voluntarily.

There are so many problems in New Jersey politics - it isn't funny. New Jersey is in a tough position. We have two large neighbors who control our media. I haven't fully understand who New Jerseyans vote, they seem to be voting more on what politicians think about national issues then what they will do for New Jersey. Then of course you have the regionalization of New Jersey, the south versus the north, rural versus city. We fight amongst ourselves, when we should be looking at what is best for New Jersey.

For instance, why are so many politicians happy to export our jobs to New York? Why aren't New Jerseyans outraged that we'll be spending billions on tunnel to NY, while our northern cities are trying to compete with New York for jobs? Our politicians sell New Jersey out and we the voters continue to let them. of course, the majority of media is controlled by Philadelphia and New York, so it's not like their going to do any stories about how things adversely affects New Jersey when it comes to something that will benefit them.

New Jersey Proud!

New Jerseyan

Default What can the Average Joe do?

So much of this hinges on the voting of the state senate and assembly and once these politicians get a taste of power they get addicted to officeholding. So other than voting - what can the grass roots average guy or gal do?
    My recommendation is for all parents to seriously think about home schooling or forming a home school co op - if you can't get your kid into private school. Opting out of the government school tyranny on a large scale would undermine one of the most solid power bases in NJ and break their hold on the next generation of voters.