View Poll Results: What should the Jets be called...

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • New Jersey Jets

7 70.00%
  • Jets

0 0%
  • New York Jets

3 30.00%

Thread: New Jersey Jets

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Default New Jersey Jets

Well it seems as if the Jets are leaning toward staying in NJ - now that New York has rejected building them their precious stadium. Hmm - they have NY on their uniforms, obviously they would rather play in NY. Shea Stadium I'm sure is still usuable for them. Why the hell don't they just go there where they would be so much happier and wouldn't have to hold their head down in shame for having to "settle" for playing in NJ.

I have to be honest, I wanted the Jets stadium deal to fall through. I think it's rather funny. They changed their uniforms to the NY logo because they want everyone to think they are a NY team and then get shafted by the the place they wish they were. Now it seems they will continue to look longingly at the "great", and I use great with the GREATEST of sarcasm here, the great city of New York.

But then again - who are the real idiots in the deal? New York who gets all the publicity from the teams, yet doesn't have to fork over the millions to build the stadium, or the NJ politiians (Codey) who are letting both the Giants and Jets retain "NY" in their name, forgiving 126 MILLION dollars in past debt the Giants owe, spending 30 MILLION on infastructure improvements for the new stadium, allowing the Giants to keep ALL profits from events occurring at the stadium and even going so far as shutting down the new Xanadu entertainment complex during home games. ALL this while charging the Giants just 5 million dollars a year. Amazing. Personally I think it's our politicians who are the idiots. With that deal - we should have made them both go packing and told them not to let the door hit them on the way out. One word comes to mind when I think of the NJ representatives who agreed to this deal and that is "morons".

See Giants new Stadium for more thoughts on this.

Jets submit plan for shared stadium with Giants

8/11/2005, 4:39 p.m. ET
    By JEFFREY GOLD
    The Associated Press

NEWARK, N.J. (AP) — With the dream of a Manhattan stadium fading, the New York Jets are putting most of their efforts into a proposal that would keep them at the Meadowlands sports complex, again sharing a stadium with the New York Giants, a Jets executive said Thursday.

"Negotiations with the Giants are ongoing, and that's not the case elsewhere," Jets vice president Matthew Higgins said.

The most recent move came Wednesday, when the Jets submitted a plan for a new, 90,000-seat stadium that would be integrated with the Xanadu shopping and entertainment center being built at the Meadowlands, he said. It would hold more people than any other in the NFL.

The plan first was reported by The Star-Ledger of Newark in Thursday's newspapers.

Meanwhile, the Jets plan to meet later this month with officials from Queens, N.Y, who would like the Jets to build near their original home at Shea Stadium. "We're happy to listen," Higgins said.

The Giants have already agreed with New Jersey, which operates the Meadowlands, to build an 80,000-seat stadium that would open for the 2009 season. The Giants plan on paying for the $750 million venue themselves, but reiterated Thursday they would be happy to share ownership with the Jets.

"It remains our preference to have them stay in the Meadowlands as our partners in a new stadium," John K. Mara, the team's chief operating officer, said in an e-mail exchange.

"If they choose to go in a different direction, then we would wish them the best of luck. In the meantime, we are proceeding with our plans to build a new stadium," Mara said.

He declined to comment on the plan submitted by the Jets, and Higgins had no immediate detail on how Xanadu would fit with the stadium.

The Giants have tried, without success, to halt Xanadu construction, maintaining that their lease for the stadium requires no other activity at the Meadowlands begin until three hours after football games end. The team, asserting Xanadu would cause traffic jams for its fans, has been unable to reach an agreement with Xanadu's developers on when the complex would operate on game days.

The Jets plan includes a rail line for the complex, said George R. Zoffinger, president and CEO of the New Jersey Sports & Exposition Authority, which operates the Meadowlands.

"Paramount in our mind is the progress that has been made between the two teams," Zoffinger said in a statement.

"I would hope that both teams would strongly consider a retractable dome for the stadium," he said. "It would allow the stadium to host the Super Bowl, Final Four, even the Olympics, as well as other events."

The Jets had hoped to build a new stadium in Manhattan, but suffered a major setback in June when New York state leaders refused to approve $300 million for the $2.2 billion structure, which was also envisioned as the stadium for the 2012 Olympics. The games were later awarded to London.

Higgins said the Jets have until Aug. 31 to tell the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, which awarded rights to the Manhattan site to the Jets, whether the team is still interested in the site.
    As for the Jets, we New Jerseyans should demand an apology from them for all the negative atttitude they had toward NJ while trying to get the West Side Stadium built and until they change that ridiculous "NY" on their uniforms to "NJ" we should boycott their games. We should actually boycott both teams. But who am I kidding - one of New Jerseys main problems is that we never demand respect. The fact that our politicians so easily sold out to them i just one of many prime examples of all of this.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

This person that seems to vote both for the Jets and Giants to be called "NewYork" I wish they would post so they can explain why they think that New Jersey teams should be called "New York" instead of their home state of New Jersey.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

New Jersey Proud!

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDevil
    This person that seems to vote both for the Jets and Giants to be called "NewYork" I wish they would post so they can explain why they think that New Jersey teams should be called "New York" instead of their home state of New Jersey.
    I agree with you that our politicians sold out for too little. At the very least they should have permitted George Zoffinger to negotiate the deal. (IIRC, George is the one that is currently responsible for the Medowlands Expo Authority and has to my knowledge performed a good job for the citizens of NJ.)
    Last edited by MITHRANDIR; 08-24-2005 at 08:32 PM. Reason: Corrected spelling of Zoffinger
    Sincerely,
    Anthony

NJ & You, Perfect Together

Quote Originally Posted by MITHRANDIR
    I agree with you that our politicians sold out for too little. At the very least they should have permitted George Zoffinger to negotiate the deal. (IIRC, George is the one that is currently responsible for the Medowlands Expo Authority and has to my knowledge performed a good job for the citizens of NJ.)
    He thought the del was terrible and either voted against it - or walked out. I can't remember. Now he's forced to put the good face on about it.

New Jersey Proud!

So the Jets reached an agreement with the Giants today and are STAYING in New Jersey. So when are they going to change their name to the New Jersey Jets? That's a rhetorical question of course - because what reason has NJ given for them to change their name. As I said in another thread - Codey gave the Giants and Jets New Jersey on a silver platter.

The firgging sports announcers will still make it seem like they are playing in NY while NJ is the actual state which will have this state of the art facility. We need politicians who will work for NJ, not work for NY interests.

Supposedly the jets wil be moving their practice camp to NJ - so they will be a 100% NJ team, other than that ridiculous NY on their uniform. Giants always practiced in NJ, but the Jets were more of a fence sitting team.

New Jersey Proud!

Recent Resident Eric Stephenson's Avatar

I get so sick and tired of the way the NJ politicians cow-tow to the NY people.

We provide the facility for their games
    We provide the facility for their practices
    We probably provide at least half the fan base
    They basically don't pay a dime for anything

And yet they won't even acknowledge the fact that they are NJ teams.

Ahh this is just great. Now NJ has to buy the Jets (who insist on retaining NY in their name - regardless of the fact that they will no longer have absolutely ANY association with NY) 20 acres of land for their new headquarters. :rolls:

Jets asked to consider new home on Hilltop
    Site in Cedar Grove suggested by officials
    Friday, November 11, 2005
    BY MATTHEW FUTTERMAN AND JONATHAN CASIANO
    Star-Ledger Staff

The Jets' search for a headquarters and practice facility has taken them to Cedar Grove, where local officials and acting Gov. Richard Codey have suggested the team consider a portion of the Hilltop property.

The Cedar Grove site is the latest of as many as 15 potential sites the Jets have explored for their new home. It also has sparked controversy, since Carl Goldberg, chairman of the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority and a principal with the Roseland Property Co., is one of the designated redevelopers for the 400-acre Hilltop property.

Goldberg said yesterday his company had no financial interest in the portion of the Hilltop site the Jets are considering, which is the site of the former Essex County Hospital Center, a psychiatric facility being replaced by a new hospital that's being built up the street. That portion is controlled by K. Hovnanian, which has proposed a large residential development. Still, Goldberg said he had recused himself from all discussions with the Jets regarding the Hilltop site.

"I was asked to participate in a meeting, and I told the governor and his chief counsel I could not do so," Goldberg said. "It's one of many sites they are considering, but it would not be appropriate for me to participate."

The Jets' deal with the Giants to build a new $800 million stadium in the Meadowlands calls for the state to buy the team 20 acres within 20 miles of the sports complex for a new headquarters. The Jets are considering property everywhere between Monmouth and Bergen counties and plan to decide on a site by the end of the year.

Jets officials declined comment, but Cedar Grove and Essex County officials said they would welcome the team to their next discussion of the woods.

"I'd love to sit across the table from the New York Jets and come up with a scenario. I think it would be great for Cedar Grove," Cedar Grove Councilman Joseph Chiusolo said.

Chiusolo said a training facility also would relieve the burden of the large-scale residential development that K. Hovnanian has proposed. "I think the council would be excited to see the use of that land for recreational use, which wouldn't impact our services," he said.

Essex County Executive Joseph DiVincenzo Jr., a former high school football star, also said the Jets would be a good addition to the plans for the Hilltop site.

"I'm working through the governor," DiVincenzo said. "I would love to do it, there's a site we recommended, but I'm working through him."
    The Cedar Grove councilman sounds like such a suck up by calling them the "NY Jets". Just call them the NJ Jets or the Jets I say.

New Jersey Proud!

Good news!!! The Jets are DEAD LAST in the AFC East.

I hope they remain there until they remove that ridiculous NY off their uniforms and finally acknowledge their home state and replace it with NJ.

New Jersey Proud!

Talking

Good news!!! The Jets are DEAD LAST in the AFC East.

I hope they remain there until they remove that ridiculous NY off their uniforms and finally acknowledge their home state and replace it with NJ.

What about the other NJ Football team?

I remember when the Bills played the Giants in the Super Bowl.

When the NY Governor Cuomo (sp?) was asked which team he rooted to win the Super Bowl.

IIRC, He said that he rooted for the only NY football team. (ie The Bills)
    Sincerely,
    Anthony

Wow, NJ is jumping through hoops with obtaining this practice facility for the Jets, while they still have the nerve to continue to wear NY on their uniforms.

Jets put off decision on training site
    Friday, January 06, 2006
    BY MATTHEW FUTTERMAN
    Star-Ledger Staff

The Jets' decision on where to locate a new practice facility and headquarters has been put off at least a month while the state figures out how to acquire the land, team and state officials say.

Despite plans to announce a short list of potential locations at the start of the year, the team's real estate adviser said it will take another month before state officials iron out the details of acquiring the property for the team.

The issue is making sure that the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority, the state agency that operates the Meadowlands Sports Complex, has both the money and the power to buy land for the practice facility. Legislators may have to change the laws that dictate the agency's mission and powers or find another agency to handle the property acquisition.

The state promised to acquire 20 acres for a Jets practice facility as part of a deal among the Jets, Giants and sports authority to build a joint stadium in the Meadowlands next to the existing Giants Stadium. Though the Jets play their home games at Giants Stadium, the team has practiced on Long Island.

Today in Trenton, lawmakers will consider legislation that would allow the sports authority to acquire property outside the designated areas where it has operated -- the Meadowlands, Monmouth Park, Wildwood, Atlantic City and Camden.

The legislation is expected to pass by next week, which would allow acting Gov. Richard Codey to sign it before he leaves office Jan. 17. Codey views the deal to keep the Jets and Giants in the Meadowlands as a signature accomplishment of his 14 months in office.

However, finding the money to acquire 20 acres for a Jets headquarters in New Jersey will be left to the next governor, Jon Corzine, who will have to decide whether to borrow or make a direct appropriation. The purchase is expected to cost the state between $10 million and $15 million.
    By the way - add in the $15 million dollars price tag to that supposed deal that isn't supposed to cost NJ tax payers any money.

While they're writing legislature that will make sure that NJ tax money is used to buy land for a multi-multi-million dollar sports team, why don't they include in the legislature that ALL teams playing in NJ must carry the NJ name or the town in which they play. I mean come on, where the hell are the Giants and Jets going to go? Are they going to run crying to NY saying "Please can we play here, they're going to make us chnage our name to New Jersey"? NY already screwed them over by rejecting the west side stadium. I say it's time that the state plays some hard ball for all that we do for these ungrateful teams.

Side note: Here's to hoping the Giants lose their game tomorrow.

New Jersey Proud!

I voted for "New York Jets" just to annoy you.

Obviously they should be called the Winnipeg Jets and movied to Canada post-haste.

Okay but seriously, of course they should be called the New Jersey Jets! They play in New Jersey right? It's a no-brainer. I don't know why you have these polls. Is it just so me and one anonymouse (who beat me to the punch) can twit you?

I've never heard of any team in any sport doing that outside of this odd NJ-NY thing. Does Delaware make these seemingly one-sided deals with you guys? I doubt it. Besides, it's not like you need to acquiesce to New York anyway.

The Jets should also bear in mind the proven formula of Pretend you play in New York = Team stinks

edited to add:

If they're doing it because they think they'll get more fans then it doesn't seem worthwhile. I mean, if Florida can scrape together enough fans for not one, but two ice hockey teams, then it seems like New Jersey could get people to watch football or whatever without a problem.
    Last edited by Nurvingiel; 01-08-2006 at 05:01 AM.

Here is an article from the Star Ledger today... There are severl things in here that I want to highlight.

Local business owners hoping to score big when Jets move in
    BY JOHN WIHBEY STAR-LEDGER STAFF

The Jets’ decision to bolt from Hempstead, Long Island, for a new training and corporate facility in Florham Park conjures up neighborhood memories. Giant memories.

The Giants rented out facilities at Fairleigh Dickinson University in Madison-Florham Park for 30 days each summer from 1988 to 1995, eventually leaving for Albany, N.Y. Now the Jets plan to move in just across the street from the university.

Peter Pappas, owner of Madison’s Nautilus Diner, fondly recalls the likes of former Giants stars Lawrence Taylor and Ottis Anderson coming to his tables for a late-night meal. And fans from all over flocked with them.

‘‘Typically, in the summer, business is down. A lot of people have beach houses around here. The Giants brought in a lot of people from out of town,’’ Pappas said. ‘‘The Jets are going to be a part of the community. It’s not just going to be a place where they hang their hats for a month.’’

Jets management confirmed yesterday they had chosen to relocate from Hofstra University in Hempstead to the former Exxon headquarters site in Florham Park, which won out over four other finalist sites in New Jersey.

Florham Park Mayor Frank Tinari said he expects the area’s connection with the Jets to be ‘‘a much closer relationship’’ than the one with the Giants, and anticipates that visitors to the facility will also drive into his borough and through Park Avenue into downtown Madison.

‘‘There will certainly be plenty of opportunities for businesses to enjoy the spinoff from this,’’ he said.

Tinari said the Jets’ facility would be part of a larger 420-acre development on the Exxon site, which would include housing, offices, a hotel and day care center.

The Giants spent 30 days in July and August using about 100 residence hall rooms, four playing fields, an academic building and FDU’s recreation center. Nearly 50,000 fans would turn out to see the team’s practice sessions.

The Jets, though, plan a 110,000-square-foot facility for 100 corporate employees, three outdoor football fields and one indoor football field, according to team officials. Officials say players would use the facility for 170 days, from late July summer camp through the season’s end in January.

Spokeswoman Marissa Shorenstein said the Jets have a lease on their current Hofstra University facility in Hempstead through 2008 and would use the Florham Park site in summer 2007 at the earliest.

FDU athletic director Bill Klika said the university had talks with the Jets and said the team could use the school’s dormitories or facilities while its own are being built.

Klika pointed out that Jets players are more likely to be in the community than the Giants players ever were, given that the Giants were always in the cloistered world of training camp.

‘‘(The Jets) will be out in the community simply because they’re going to work,’’ said Klika, a former football coach.

But not everyone believes the Jets’ move will bring a local economic windfall.

Madison Downtown Manager Janice Piccolo said she is worried that the large facility could be insulated from the outside, bringing lots of traffic and little money to the economy.

She’s troubled in particular by the amenities that may come with the complex, which local officials have said may include a hotel, restaurant and cafeteria. ‘‘I’m thinking, ‘Are they creating their own little town down there where they will never come to our town?’ ’’ Piccolo said.

Shorenstein said the facility has not been entirely planned. ‘‘Our employees and the Jets will be part of the community and will use the local facilities like everyone else,’’ she said.

The Florham Park planning board will hear more details April 10, Tinari said.

Jets officials have said they will contribute $50,000 annually to improve Florham Park’s recreational fields. The New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority, which will make yearly $200,000 payments in lieu of property taxes to Florham Park, will purchase 20 acres of the Exxon site for $20 million from the Gale Co. and its partner, the Rockefeller Development Group Corp.

The Sports Authority would then lease the land to the Jets. The Authority concluded a similar deal for the Giants to build a Meadowlands training facility, part of a plan centered around a proposed $1 billion open-air stadium to be shared by the two teams.

For restaurateurs who are still nostalgic for the days when Phil Simms and Lawrence Taylor were locals, there is hope that Jets quarterback Chad Pennington and his teammates can provide the area with economic déjà vu.

Gino Iossa, who runs Rocco’s Pizzeria, located just a mile away from the proposed Jets facilities, said the Giants used to make big pie orders. He hopes the Jets will follow.

‘‘The players used to take care of our delivery guys with tips,’’ he said.
    So let me get this straight, NJ is PAYING $20 million to buy this land for a professional football team, who all they did when they were "moving to NY" was criticise New Jersey and refuses to wear NJ on their uniforms? Also it seems to be saying that NJSEA aka the NJ tax payer, will be paying $200,000 a year in stead of taxes to Florham Park, while the Jets pay a measley $50,000 a year. Does anyone else have a problem with this? Also, they left out the amount the property will be leased to the jets for, does anyone smell a rat in this? Why doesn't the state just donate $20 milllion to Florham Park and be done with it. Another thing that disturbs me - is again this a little "side item" that Codey didn't put into the total cost of what NJ is payiNG to the ungrateful Giants and Jets. I thought we were in this extreme budget crisis where are taxes are going up? But we have $200 million lying around to go to milionaire soprts rteams who don't even want to be associated with NJ.

I think they're living in a pipe dream if they think the Jets are going to be frequenting the town when they will have all the amenities to eat, sleep, etc right on their own grounds and at the same time - pay no taxes.

New Jersey Proud!

In an article concerning Michael Vick - the BBC states the following... "Atlanta played their first pre-season match in New York on 10 August..." Again New Jersey gets replaced with New York and doesn't exist in the mind of the media.

I wrote them an article requesting that they correct their misinformation on where the Giants and Jets play -

In your article regarding Michael Vick, you state the following - "Atlanta played their first pre-season match in New York on 10 August..." This is incorrect - the game was and is played in East Rutherford New JERSEY. New York does not have any professional football teams, nor do they have a football stadium. The Giants and Jets are BOTH New JERSEY teams which try to make people think that they are New York teams. I hope that you will make the correction and properly acknowledge that the game was played in New Jersey - just like the so-called "Live Earth New York" was renamed "Live Earth New Jersey" by much of the media - including BBC - when it was discovered that New York had nothing to do with the event, just like they have nothing to do with the "NY" Jets, "NY" Giants or "NY" Red Bulls.

Thank you -

Robert Rosetta, president
    AboutNewJersey.com

New Jersey Proud!

In an article concerning Michael Vick - the BBC states the following... "Atlanta played their first pre-season match in New York on 10 August..." Again New Jersey gets replaced with New York and doesn't exist in the mind of the media.

I wrote them an article requesting that they correct their misinformation on where the Giants and Jets play -
    I would not be surprised if the only time they get NJ correct is during a negative article on this state.

Hopefully with enough responses to this article they will be encouraged to report accurately in the future. (and not slight New Jersey, that is are politicians job. )
    Sincerely,
    Anthony

Well they changed their article, however the world must wish that New Jersey just didn't exist at all. Instead of changing "New York" to "New Jersey"", they just took out where the game was played completely. Now it reads...

Atlanta played their first pre-season match against the New York Jets on 10 August, with the regular season beginning in Minnesota on 9 September.
    Is it so difficult for the media - and this is INTERNATIONAL media - to report on where the Giants and Jets actually play????

New Jersey Proud!

I was looking up on google "NJ Jets" and I discovered this website where they were talking about the Giants and Jets. Because that site does not allow you to post any external links or create a signature - I am not going to link to it directly - but here is the Google search for it.

I can't believe how few people have New Jersey pride and don't see anything wrong with New Jersey teams carrying NY on on their uniforms. I also can't believe that that site has such a big following - although many of the people there seem to be the usual NJ haters. I'd rather have people here who care about New Jersey and want to make positive changes in New Jersey - instead of a bunch of people who think that it's basically small minded to have pride in where you live. BTW - I wish some of the New Jersey Pride people would come and join us - and then we can talk even more about how to improve New Jersey.

New Jersey Proud!

My cousin just made me realize an ironic point about the Jets. They have been pissed for years at having to play in a stadium known as "Giants Stadium" which is one of their rivals and having the stadium in the Giants Blue/Red colors. Well it's funny how the Jets have NO PROBLEM with carrying NY on their uniforms when they aren't a NY team but a New JERSEY team.

Having said that - both the Jets and Giants got off to the GREAT start to the season today - double loses. The Jersey Devil Curse worked wonders today.

"Be proud of where you play - wear NJ"

New Jersey Proud!