Thread: What Cultural Icons can NJ Use as Touris Attractions

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Default What Cultural Icons can NJ Use as Touris Attractions

Okay - I was just watching the Food Network and they were having on cultural advertising icons, such as Tony the Tiger, Ronald McDonald, etc. They also included the M&M characters. Well in Las Vegas is the World of M&Ms. It's a four story store where you can buy anything and everything dealing with M&Ms. The thing is - M&Ms is a New Jersey candy. Why doesn't New Jersey have this store? Why isn't one open at say Seaside or Atlantic City? After this, I got to thinking - what about Monopoly - why isn't there a Monopoly Museum in AC? Further more, what about Campbell soup? NJ is a treasure trove of cultural icons yet NJ does not seem to say to these company's - what about developing tourist attractions around these.

Okay - so I've come up with Campbells, M&Ms, Monopoly. What other cultural icons could NJ create tourist attractions around?

BTW - speaking of Monopoly - it really upsets me that AC is not the location for the World Championship Monopoly Tournament. What a great world class even for NJ to market. I don't know anyone who hasn't played Monopoly.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

New Jerseyan

J.D., Good question I must give it some more thought. As far as Campbells goes, they recently announced they will be building a new H.Q. in Camden. I think it would be a great idea to plan some kind of a museum to go along with this new building. Last year a new mall opened up on the A.C. boardwalk I believe it is called the Pier at Caesars. On the first floor, right off the boardwalk is a huge candy store, in that store is a statue like creation of the worlds most famous elephant "Lucy" from Margate. The statue is so big cash registers are set up under it. Why not something to promote the "Diner Capital of the World"? In Morristown the museum behind Washington's H.Q. is undergoing a multimillion dollar renovation. I believe it is set to open this spring. This museum should end up being a very good tourist attraction. We should also do something to promote our food history, Ocean Spray, cranberries, blueberries, TOMATOES, etc. I believe a food museum is in order.
    NEW JERSEY HISTORY SECOND TO NONE !

New Jersey Tour Guide Jersey Warren's Avatar

Default Lipton's

My granfather worked at the headquarters of the Lipton Tea Company in Hoboken from 1920 until the late 1940s. They have sinced moved to Englewood Cliffs, but they're an old New Jersey company and bigger than ever, having branched out into soups, etc. There should be a tea museum at Liptons.

The most interesting thing I've seen in this regard is Wheaton Village in Millville, run by the Wheaton glass company. The village looks like a Victorian town with many different shops. You can also watch glass being blown at the nearby glassworks.

New Jerseyan

I forgot to post that the elephant in the candy store on the boardwalk is made out of jelly beans. Now Im hungry!
    NEW JERSEY HISTORY SECOND TO NONE !

What about Sunshine Biscuits home of the Hydrox Cookie and many more. Its factory use to be in Old bridge i went there on my Kindergarden class trip
    DAVE GERING
    MANAGER JERSEY STORE EWR

New Jersey Tour Guide Jersey Warren's Avatar

Default Sunshine

I used to LOVE Hydrox cookies! I always liked them better than Oreos. Alas, Sunshine was sold and Hydrox were discontinued. The only Sunshine products I still see are saltines. They now have an Illinois address.

Too bad! Sunshine and Nabisco both moved from New York to New Jersey about the same time. Nabisco is still in East Hanover, so we're 1-for-2.