Thread: If I was Governor...

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Default If I was Governor...

With gubernatoral elections coming up I thought this would be interesting. This thread is so people can discuss what they would do if they were governor.

I'm sure most people would say "lower property taxes", "eliminate tolls", but I would do more to bring a sense of pride to the state. Of course I would try to bring down property taxes too and deal with many other problems - but I am extremely frustrated with the lack of pride in NJ. One thing I would LOVE to do is put out a "welcome to NJ" right on the border of NJ/NY out in the NY harbor - right where all the Statue of Liberty ferries go. I'm sure NY wouldn't like it. I would fight more for NJ. What he hell is up with that ridiculous Giants Stadium deal? Does Codey really think he fooled anyone? Not only does NJ forgive $126 million and end up paying 30 million for new infustracture for the new stadium - the Giants are allowed to still have NY on their logos.

Another thing that is really bothering me is this "North Jersey" versus "South Jersey" thing. Come on - why are we fighting amongst ourselves - when our real enemies are NY and Philadelphia? I would work to patch NJ together. It's frustrating that "South" Jerseyans support the Flyers before they'll support their home team - the NJ Devils. Come on - arent we all New Jerseyans first?

As governor I would also work to fix up Trenton. It's the capital city and it's dead after hours and on the weekend. Trenton is in an awesome locaton and there is NO REASON for it to be in the condition it is. It has improved quite a bit, but it's as if the legislators and governor do't even care. Do they even work there? Maybe the Capitol building is only there for show and the politicians do everthing by teleconference so they never step foot in Trenton.

Also, what is the hell up with the placement of "Welcome to NJ" signs. The tourist department went on and on about how they were getting new signs. At the Governors Conference on Tourism in AC this year they were so proud of them. First the signs are too damn small. Come on - you enter Pennsylvania or even Ohio and they have these monstrous signs that PROUDLY declare that you now entering their state. NJ has these wimp ass signs. Then not only are the signs small - they're like 2 miles from the border. The one in cape May is laughabe every time I pass by that sign. Hell I never even left NJ - but it's welcoming me. On the border of West Virginia and Pennsylvania WV puts their welcome sign right in the middle of bridge. You knwo right then that you've enter WV. This is even more amazing because at that location - you are only in WV for 5 - 10 minutes.

Do an of our politician REALLY care about NJ? Tom Kean I think did, Christie Whitman fought for NJ. Did McGreevey? Not that I could see. What is Codey doing to promote NJ?

Oh another tihing I would do - is change the advertising agency that does the stupid NJ tourism commercials. The NJ tourism depatment was so proud of the commercials when they were unveiled at the Governor's Conference. The one was laughable. It was/is a full page print ad with a couple, above the caption it says - "We could have gone to a movie, instead we chose the Jersey shore." What the hell is that? Basically it's saying the Jersey shore is no better than spending $10 to see an hour and half movie. Ridiculous. If I was in charge I would have had it be "we could have gone to Florida - but chose the Jersey shore" then lhave the couple lists of pros and cons of going to the Jersey Shore versus Florida. It doesn't take a rocket scientist - but it seems as if people are asleep behind the wheel when it comes to properly promoting NJ.

Take this anyway you want, but these are things that have been pissing me off for a long time with NJ. I love NJ, no where else in the world I would rather be, but we better get new politicians who actually WORK FOR NJ!!!!
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDevil
    One thing I would LOVE to do is put out a "welcome to NJ" right on the border of NJ/NY out in the NY harbor - right where all the Statue of Liberty ferries go. I'm sure NY wouldn't like it.
    Sounds like a grand idea.

Another thing that is really bothering me is this "North Jersey" versus "South Jersey" thing. Come on - why are we fighting amongst ourselves - when our real enemies are NY and Philadelphia? I would work to patch NJ together. It's frustrating that "South" Jerseyans support the Flyers before they'll support their home team - the NJ Devils. Come on - arent we all New Jerseyans first?
    While we are New Jerseyans first, the Flyers, Rangers and Islanders were around many years longer than the NJ Devils. It takes time for a fan base to develop. The fan base is getting larger and eventually the NJ Devil fan base should be close in size to the PHL and NYC teams.

Do an of our politician REALLY care about NJ? Tom Kean I think did, Christie Whitman fought for NJ. Did McGreevey? Not that I could see. What is Codey doing to promote NJ?

. . .
    but we better get new politicians who actually WORK FOR NJ!!!!
    Hard to tell at times. I agree with you that we need politicians that will work for the betterment of all New Jersey.
    Sincerely,
    Anthony

NJ & You, Perfect Together

Quote Originally Posted by MITHRANDIR
    While we are New Jerseyans first, the Flyers, Rangers and Islanders were around many years longer than the NJ Devils. It takes time for a fan base to develop. The fan base is getting larger and eventually the NJ Devil fan base should be close in size to the PHL and NYC teams.
    Come on - the Devils have been here for about 20 years. When teams move into other states and cities - they get a fan base. The devils aren't even a losing team - they are one of the best in the league and have won the Stanly Cup THREE times since they've been here. There is something seriously wrong in NJ - and it has to do with the attitude of New Jerseyans thenselves I think.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

New Jersey Proud!

Come on - the Devils have been here for about 20 years. When teams move into other states and cities - they get a fan base. The devils aren't even a losing team - they are one of the best in the league and have won the Stanly Cup THREE times since they've been here. There is something seriously wrong in NJ - and it has to do with the attitude of New Jerseyans thenselves I think.
    Many of the people that I know (who are fans of sports teams) have been fans since they were very young (about 7-10 years old) and are very strong and loyal fans. Once a (insert team here) fan always a (insert team here) fan.

I have been a NY Yankee and Dallas Cowboy fan since about 1st grade. Although I may occasionally root for other local teams, I will always root for the Yankees and Cowboys to win against any other teams.

If a new MLB team was located in NJ, while I may root for it against some other teams and attend games there, I still would like the NY yankees more than the new NJ team.

Hockey and Basketball I did not start following until High School and I do not have any real strong ties to any team. (Although I do root more strongly for the NJ Devils than any of the other local teams {Flyers, Rangers, Islanders}. Pro Basketball I do not care much any more, but I do like it when the Nets do well)

Winning the Stanley Cup (3 times) helps and being a winning organization helps, but it still takes time in my opinion. (about a generation (20-30 yrs) at least) The recent strike I am sure does not help for interest in hockey in general.

That being said, I do think that more New Jerseyans should take more pride in the teams that are from NJ and are proud to be known as such.
    Sincerely,
    Anthony

NJ & You, Perfect Together

Default SPORTS TEAMS

I agree with Anthony. I am a Vikings Mets Knicks and Devils fan. The reason I am a Devils fan is that I was not a big Hockey fan until the Devils came to NJ. The other teams I have been fans of since i was 8 years old and thats along time ago and i would never switch. At least RUTGERS didnt blow the game yesterday.

DAVE

Quote Originally Posted by davegering
    I agree with Anthony. I am a Vikings Mets Knicks and Devils fan. The reason I am a Devils fan is that I was not a big Hockey fan until the Devils came to NJ. The other teams I have been fans of since i was 8 years old and thats along time ago and i would never switch. At least RUTGERS didnt blow the game yesterday.
    Well I can understand the mets - at the moment NJ has no professional baseball team. So that's forgiveable - but the KNICKS? Okay - so the Nets sucked all those years and if the Nes move to Brooklyn - then they're off my list of teams I support. Concerning the Vikings - that's fine also - as long as the Giants and Jets continue to wear that other state's initials on their uniform. Does anyone see a pattern here?

I should split this off into the sports section though - since it's gotten off topic from the governor question.

New Jersey Proud!

You know, JD, you should probably get into the NJ political world and try to to run for governer....You seem to know a lot about politics already.
    "What! Me, vain? How can you say that about such an awesome person?"

Quote Originally Posted by Aeneas
    You know, JD, you should probably get into the NJ political world and try to to run for governer....You seem to know a lot about politics already.
    A lot of people have said that to me - including people who I talk to at various NJ tourism events. I'm not the "politician" type though. I also have my beliefs all across the spectrum and don't necessarily fall into any one group. I've thought about it off and on though. People have said I should just run for Plainsboro or something and see how it goes. I know politicians and people who work for them - they're always so.... trying to think of how to say it.... high strung isn't exactly what I'm thinking of - but that is patt of it. They're always so in your face I guess. many politicians I have met - you can see that they want to get out their "sound bite" but really don't care about what you have to say. They'll shake your hand and move on. Anyway - I'm not like that. I just don't seem to fit into the politician mold and even though I want to be in the spotlight - I have a hard time being outgoing - if you can believe it. Hey - if I had my choice - I would be the star of the "Exploring NJ" travel show - but I don'tfeel comfortable being in front of the camera. Maybe someday - we will see Maybe on the NJ Gubernatorial poll thread - I should add my name in there.

New Jersey Proud!

but see, NOT being snobby is the best way to be if you're going to be a politician. And if you aren't i'm encouraging you all the more!

I'm surprised at you JD, so outgoing...