Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Jersey Devils

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Default New Jersey Devils

Well I went to see the New Jersey Devils play against the Buffalo Sabres last night. (believe it or not it was my first time I had seen the Devils in person) It was an incredible game. I especially wanted to go see this game for two reasons - one - the Devils were playing against number one Buffalo Sabres and two - they were honoring the New Jersey Devils 1995 Stanley Cup team.

The crowd was great. The arena was packed. I'm not sure if anyone on the board got to see the game on TV or if anyone else went. Let me know if you did. I went with my cousin and it was just such an incredible time.

Inspired Devils respond with three-goal third
    BY RICH CHERE STAR-LEDGER STAFF

Jamie Langenbrunner could feel the difference the moment he stepped onto the ice for warm-ups.

In a building that has had too many quiet nights and too many empty seats this season, there was a feeling of something special last night as the Devils brought back many members of their first Stanley Cup championship team from 1995.

‘‘There was a buzz right from the warm-ups, ’’Langenbrunner said. ‘‘You could tell people were excited to see those guys come back. And rightly so. They put this team on the map.’’

There were Scott Stevens, Randy McKay and Mike Peluso, who took part in the pregame ceremony and stayed around to personally deliver autographed jerseys to several lucky fans in the crowd of 18,589.

Ken Daneyko, Bruce Driver, Valeri Zelepukin, Shawn Chambers, Chris McAlpine, Tommy Albelin and Tom Chorske all brought a snippet of the spring of ’95 back to the Meadowlands.

So it came as no surprise that the Devils played a game worthy of those past champions when they scored three goals within a span of 2:31 during the third period and then held on for a 3-2 victory over the Eastern Conference-leading Buffalo Sabres. The Sabres’ lead has been whittled down to four points, with the Devils having one game in hand.

‘‘It was a matchup of numbers one and two,’’ goalie Martin Brodeur said. ‘‘When you play against the best and you’re close, you try to make a statement. I think we did. The guys have to feel good about themselves.’’

The Sabres brought a 1-0 lead into the third period, which should not have been the case because Patrik Elias seemingly scored a goal midway through the first period that was not allowed.

Buffalo goalie Ryan Miller made a glove save on the Devils captain from point-blank range after a cross-crease pass from Brian Gionta. However, replays showed that Miller’s glove may have been inside the right post when he gloved the power-play shot.

Play was not halted for a review and the Devils did not complain very much.

‘‘It happened that quick. I was just surprised he got it,’’ Elias said. ‘‘I think it was hard for the referees and everybody to see where his glove was. I think it’s up to the league to call and review it.’’

Coach Claude Julien said: ‘‘We made sure we didn’t let that distract us. It’s one of those situations where you can’t do anything about it. Why dwell on it?’’

Miller was sensational, but his mastery ended early in the third period. After a near-miss by Brian Rafalski, Sergei Brylin got the puck out to the point for a Colin White shot with John Madden in front of Miller. After his first attempt was stopped, Madden squeezed the rebound under Miller’s arm.

Miller and Sabres coach Lindy Ruff argued that the whistle should have blown.

‘‘I’m unhappy with it,’’ Ruff said. ‘‘It was clear that (Miller) had it in his glove. It’s obvious the whistle should have went on the play. What are you going to do? After they call it a goal you’re going to rant and rave? He saw it. He was standing right there.’’

Madden said: ‘‘I could still see the puck. He didn’t actually have it.’’

It was a break for the Devils.

‘‘It burst the bubble of the goalie,’’ Brodeur said. ‘‘He was playing unbelievable. He thought there should be a quick whistle and it didn’t happen.’’

Twenty-three seconds later the Devils took the lead on a Langenbrunner shot that deflected off Sabres defenseman Dmitri Kalinin’s right skate and landed in the net.

With the crowd still rumbling, Parise gave the Devils a 3-1 lead by scoring his 20 th goal on a slap shot from the top of the left circle that beat Miller on his glove side.

Parise’s goal proved vital as the Sabres pulled to within one on Teppo Numminen’s goal at 16:02 and then kept the pressure on.

Notes:
    Jim Dowd was again a healthy scratch, which was a shame since he was a key member of the ’95 Cup team. Dowd sat as rookie Rod Pelley played his second NHL game. Pelley’s parents couldn’t attend his debut in Philadelphia, but his dad, Fred, flew in from British Columbia for last night’s game. ... Elias’ parents were visiting from the Czech Republic. His mother (Zdenka) attended her first Devils game while his dad (Zdenek) saw his second.

Sabres captain Chris Drury made Brodeur look bad on the first goal of the game. Drury drew Brodeur out of his crease near the right circle and continued behind the net before wrapping the puck around the far left post for his 30 th goal.

Rich Chere may be reached at rchere@starledger.com.
    BTW - we sat right behind Elias' parents. Our seats were 105 row 20 seats 3 and 4, his parents were row 19 seats 3 and 4 (there were also two other people with them, one was a friend of the family, but we didn't know who the woman was, maybe his wife??). FSN sat next to us when they interviewed them, but I don't know if it was on TV or not.

It was a great time.

Let's go DEVILS!!! Let's GO!!!
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

I will be there Sunday afternoon against Tampa, The game against the Sabres was a great one. Wouldnt it be great to open up the New Arena next season by Raising the Championship Banner.
    DAVE GERING
    MANAGER JERSEY STORE EWR

New Jerseyan

J.D. I did watch the game and I was looking forward to this one since the All-Star break because The Sabers are the first place team in the conference. I did see the cameras show Patrick Elias parents. I have been to one hell of alot of games over the years and I for one am looking foward to the new arena in Newark. I feel the Newark arena and the Devils of course will be good for the city and help it continue to rebound. I am also looking forward to getting on a train to get there. All in all it will be great.
    NEW JERSEY HISTORY SECOND TO NONE !

Well it's do or die for the Devils tomorrow against the Senators. Come one EVERYONE let's hear - "LET"S GO DEVILS!!!" They have to come back and beat them - we need another Stanley Cup banner - this one to go into the Prudential Center!

BTW - I brought my Devils Jersey to wear on Liberty of the Seas - so I'll be wearing it tomorrow.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

New Jersey Proud!

Vote for the best NHL Hockey Logo. This is round 3 and ends September 12th. Currently the Devils are losing against the Canadien's logo, although in the blog everyone says the devils logo is better.

New Jersey Proud!

Cool Positive press about Newark, NJ and NJ Devils

Very good article about New Jersey Devils' new home. Article also mentions other items of interest that people may find in Newark, NJ.

http://devils.nhl.com/team/app/?serv...ticleid=335964
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Marin
    Prudential Center anchors Newark's vibrant core
    Eric Marin Oct 23, 2007, 10:00 AM EDT

newjerseydevils.com – Some Devils fans might simply think of Newark as the new home of their beloved three-time Stanley Cup Champions.

But for those not already in the know, Newark is one of the most culturally vibrant and accessible destination spots in the tri-state area – and its stock is rising.

Since the July release of the National Hockey League's 2007-08 schedule, Devils diehards from Alpine to Cape May and across the Hudson River have been counting down the days until the team's home opener on Sat., Oct. 27, against the Ottawa Senators.

While the Devils' schedule alone will serve up 41 dates of major-league sporting action right in the heart of the city's downtown, the brand-new Prudential Center will also deliver up to 150 live events that have little to do with sticks or pucks, beginning with Bon Jovi's opening-night concert on Thursday, Oct. 25.

Because Prudential Center is the first major sports and entertainment venue to be built in the metro area in the last 25 years, it figures that the building's specs were designed to impress.

The deep red exterior with its ferrous gray accents was inspired by Newark's brickmaking and railroad heritage. On the inside, eight million pounds of structural steel and 25,000 cubic yards of concrete come together to form an 850,000 sq.-ft. space that will house 17,625 seats for hockey games, 750 flat-screen televisions, a 350-seat restaurant, 76 luxury suites, five concourses, and two club lounges.

Still, Prudential Center's singular amenities and full slate of attractions are just the latest additions to Newark's already rich menu of museums, entertainment and fine dining. And, like Devils games, it's all readily available via public transportation.

The third-oldest city in the United States behind Boston and New York, Newark has served as one of New Jersey's busiest business centers and travel hubs for more than three centuries. Home to the newly-restored historic Penn Station, Newark affords visitors the option of leaving their cars home and arriving by rail or Light Rail. In fact, New Jersey Transit, Amtrak, and PATH services make it possible to go from the rails to "The Rock" in just minutes.

For added convenience, New Jersey Transit will operate on routes and schedules that accommodate the conclusions of Prudential Center events, making it easier than ever to plan a round-trip route on public transportation.

Since its founding in 1666, Newark has counted General George Washington and President Abraham Lincoln among its visitors, and has produced talents such as novelist Phillip Roth, singer Sarah Vaughan, and dancer/choreographer Savion Glover. Thomas Edison once called it home.

That legacy of creative innovation is still being upheld in Newark's Downtown/Arts District, located just blocks from Prudential Center's 4,800 sq.-ft. LED screen on Mulberry Street.

On Center Street, the New Jersey Performing Arts Center (NJPAC) has enjoyed a decade as one of the nation's premier venues for the arts, having hosted world-class performances from renowned cellist Yo-Yo Ma, the Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater, and the Boston Symphony Orchestra.

Also based in Newark, the New Jersey Symphony Orchestra performs in seven different venues throughout northern New Jersey, including NJPAC.

For a trip back in time, the nearly century-old Newark Museum on nearby Washington Street houses both the Dreyfus Planetarium and the restored 19th-century Ballantine mansion, a National Landmark.

Visitors to the state's largest museum will also find works of American and World art, as well as a collection of Tibetan works considered to be among the best in the world. The Museum frequently hosts traveling exhibitions, making for a new experience with virtually every trip.

Down the street from the Museum is Newark's Public Library, which stocks over one million book titles on its shelves, and offers both gallery exhibits and free Wi-Fi internet access.

Spring visitors to Newark should plan to see the cherry blossoms in April at Branch Brook Park, which is serviced by New Jersey Transit's Newark Light Rail. The 19th-century park boasts 3,500 white and pink cherry trees, roughly 500 more than the famed buds near the Jefferson Memorial in Washington, D.C. On Saturdays through October 27, be sure to check out the park's Farmers' Market from 9:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. for fresh produce, locally baked goods, and live music.

For those looking to experience Newark's sights on foot, the New Jersey Historical Society keeps the city's vibrant past alive by offering guided tours of Newark's many notable locales, including stops at some of Newark's 19th-century architecture and 17th-century public parks.

Founded in 1845, the NJHS uses its Park Place location to showcase a collection of rare items that allows visitors to trace New Jersey's history from colonial era to modern day.

Exploring downtown Newark is sure to build up an appetite, in which case the Ironbound neighborhood east of Penn Station is just the place to indulge in some of the best cuisine in town.

Enjoy the grilled meats of a Brazilian churrascaria or the fresh seafood of a Spanish tapas bar, and follow it all up with a stop at a Portuguese bakery for a sweet custard cup (pastel de nata). The eateries lining Ferry Street, south of Market, reflect the convergence of international flavors that can make a trip to the Ironbound so unique, whether before or after an event at Prudential Center.

On any given trip to Newark, Prudential Center patrons will be able to choose from a full menu of Devils hockey, Ironmen professional indoor soccer, Seton Hall men's basketball, boxing or live shows.

New Jersey's all-new, championship-caliber venue, however, will only hold some of the possibilities in this city that's not only full of things to do and see, but also just a quick train ride away.
    Sincerely,
    Anthony

NJ & You, Perfect Together

New Jerseyan

Default Love the Rock

The new Prudential Center in Newark is awesome. Been to three New Jersey Devils games and one Bon Jovi concert so far. The seats are close to the ice/court/stage. The corridors are spacious. The food choices are excellent.

The Rock ... I'm so glad the Devils finally have their own home.

Well, despite being a (fairly) devoted Canucks fan (I do love them but as you can see I didn't put my money where my mouth is), I picked 3 of my 10 players for the playoff hockey pool at my office from the NJ Devils.

I didn't get Patrik Elias (unfortunately) or Zach Parise (very unfortunately) but I did get Travis Zajac, David Clarkson and Paul Martin. A lot of people in the pool were fighting over the Devils. All the top players were chosen.

New Jersey is a solid team. You can depend on them to get past the first round. Carolina's on a tear, but I really think New Jersey will beat them.

My heart wants the Canucks to win the Cup, but hockey pool-wise I want to see a Chicago-New Jersey final.

I'll keep you updated as the Devils kick butt and get me lots of points.

New Jerseyan

2009 NHL Playoffs Round 1

Carolina Hurricanes vs. New Jersey Devils

GO DEVILS!!!

Hey Nurv - nice to see you around again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurvingiel View Post
    Well, despite being a (fairly) devoted Canucks fan (I do love them but as you can see I didn't put my money where my mouth is), I picked 3 of my 10 players for the playoff hockey pool at my office from the NJ Devils.
    So you put your money with the better team. I hope none of your other 7 players are Naw Yawk Rangers.....
    I didn't get Patrik Elias (unfortunately) or Zach Parise (very unfortunately) but I did get Travis Zajac, David Clarkson and Paul Martin. A lot of people in the pool were fighting over the Devils. All the top players were chosen.
    I am hoping that Zack Parise will be a life long Devils player. He's actually my favorite - although I really just care about the team. Players come and go, but as long as the Devils are in New Jersey and continue to proudly promote themselves as a New Jersey team - I will be a fan - win or lose.
    New Jersey is a solid team. You can depend on them to get past the first round. Carolina's on a tear, but I really think New Jersey will beat them.

My heart wants the Canucks to win the Cup, but hockey pool-wise I want to see a Chicago-New Jersey final.

I'll keep you updated as the Devils kick butt and get me lots of points.
    I hope the Devils don't let you down. Everyone on ESPN is saying the Hurricanes will win. I hope they are wrong. It would be great for Newark for the Stanley Cup to come to that city.

New Jersey Proud!

Well so far the Devils pulled it off with a 4 - 1 win. I really hope they come through because as I said - ESPN analysts were all sayings that Hurricanes are going to win.

I'm trying to figure out if it is better for the Devils if the Rangers knock out Washington or if its better if the Rangers lose. I really want the Rangers to get wiped out though - I hate the Rangers. Then again - I hate any team from Naw Yawk (although I will see the Mets since NJ doesn't have a pro-baseball team)

New Jersey Proud!

Nah, I knew that the Devils would win. I worked at getting Devils players (they were in high demand) because I think they have a chance to go all the way to the finals. And I did not choose wrong. Already Travis Zajac has scored a goal for me and an offensive defenceman I snagged in the last round, Paul Martin, made an assist.

Of course other people in the pool picked Parise, Gionta, Zubrus and Langenbrunner (all fine choices), so they all get points too. But I'm on the board! The Devils were quite popular in my pool and it was hard to get who I wanted. I used my first pick to get Joe Thornton (I have him plus one other from the Sharks) and Zach Parise was immediately snapped up. You just can't get Thornton and Parise in the same pool. No one has that kind of luck.

I spread my players ou through four teams that I think will go far. I'm confident that NJ will win this series. I don't think they'll sweep the Hurricanes, but I do think they'll win. (Obviously if I thought otherwise I would have picked Carolina players. )

I spread my players ou through four teams that I think will go far. I'm confident that NJ will win this series. I don't think they'll sweep the Hurricanes, but I do think they'll win. (Obviously if I thought otherwise I would have picked Carolina players. )
    So do you think NJ will win the Eastern Conference? The ESPN analysts say Penguins. I still think the Devils have a good chance of bringing the cup to Newark and New JERSEY.

BTW - it was funny how Brett Sutter was saying how it was good to be playing the Playoffs in the arena and it actually feeling like it was the Devils home arena. Last year they played the frigging Rangers and it was over run by Rangers fans - so it was basically like the Devils were playing in two away arenas.

The Rangers only have fans because of they're from New York - because they suck. They've only won the Stanley Cup twice in their entire history. The Devils have won it 3 times in the last 15 years. The Devils are due for another win here.

New Jersey Proud!

New Jerseyan

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDevil View Post
    BTW - it was funny how Brett Sutter was saying how it was good to be playing the Playoffs in the arena and it actually feeling like it was the Devils home arena. Last year they played the frigging Rangers and it was over run by Rangers fans - so it was basically like the Devils were playing in two away arenas.
    Part of the problem from last year's playoff series against the Rangers was that the Devils played so poorly at home that their fans had almost nothing to cheer about. They practically never had the lead in any of their home games. And the one or two times they managed to score and grab a lead, the Rangers within minutes immediately came back and scored to tie it up. The rest of the time, the Rangers dominated, forcing Devils fans to sit on their hands and be silent.

As a Devils fan, I always hope the Rangers lose. But if we do happen to meet up with them again in this year's playoffs, hopefully the Devils can play better at home.

I think the Devils can win the Eastern Conference. I'd like to see it happen.

And, I feel good about my picks. Even though I let Zach Parise go when I could have snapped him up, I did get Travis Zajac and Paul Martin. They both delivered the goods last night and got me a point each. The Devils won handily against the 'Canes 4-1, a good start to the series. I also picked up David Clarkson in a later round, I think he has potential too.

What the Devils need is more season ticket holders. Those guys get first dibs on playoff tickets, so your arena could look like GM Place (the Canucks arena); FULL of fans. The Canucks have 17,000 season ticket holders in an arena that seats around 18,000.

I don't like the Rangers at all. They're the team where old hockey players go to have a crappy end to their career. Just look at Marcus Naslund, who was my favourite player until his contract with the Canucks was not renewed and he was picked up by the lousy Rangers. He used to be amazing, and now he has a moderately okay 46 points, but his +/- is -10.

I can't really blame the Rangers for his decline because in the 07/08 season he had 55 points and was -6. But in 06/07 he had 60 points and was +3. 06/07 Naslund was my favourite hockey player. Now he plays for a team I view as a bunch of has-beens. Because they kind of are (Alexei Kovalev excepted).

tl;dr The Rangers are has-beens (except for Kovalev).

Alright, the next game for the Devils is on Sunday at 7:30. Are you guys going to watch? I am. Paul Martin, Travis Zajac and David Clarkson have all been playing well.

Martin is clutch. I'm really impressed with him.

The Devils are winning this series 3 games to 2. They could end this series tomorrow night!

New Jerseyan

Alright, the next game for the Devils is on Sunday at 7:30. Are you guys going to watch?
    Are you kidding, I've watched nearly every game all season!!!

"Jersey's Team!"

GO DEVILS!!!

New Jerseyan

I most CERTAINLY am!
    NEW JERSEY HISTORY SECOND TO NONE !

Alright, the next game for the Devils is on Sunday at 7:30. Are you guys going to watch? I am. Paul Martin, Travis Zajac and David Clarkson have all been playing well.

Martin is clutch. I'm really impressed with him.

The Devils are winning this series 3 games to 2. They could end this series tomorrow night!
    I'm going to watch it - but I'm pissed at how New Jersey gets dissed by the "New York"- so-called "national" media and the NHL. While the Devils have close exciting nail biter games - although i would rather see the devils kill the Hurricanes - the suck-ass rangers get televised on NBC - not once - but twice. Game 7 - if there is one - while the Rangers get their game 7 televised nationally on Versus - the Devils are left out in the cold.

By the way - the sucky Flyers also got televised TWICE on NBC this playoff round - while the Devils have yet to be televised nationally on NBC. I say we write the NHL and NBC.

We have the best goalie in history playing, the Devils are a better team than both the Rangers and the Flyers - yet our team gets no national recognition.

BTW - I hope the Rangers lose to another shut out - this time on NBC. And the Devils close the series out on Sunday - killing the Hurricanes tomorrow in retaliation against that goal at 2 tenth of a second after hitting Brodeur.

New Jersey Proud!

All together now....

Rangers SUCK!!!!

Let's Go DEVILS!!! Let's GO!!!

New Jersey Proud!