Thread: What are you dong for Fat Tuesday?

Tourist

Talking What are you dong for Fat Tuesday?

Fat Tuesday in Jersey
    February 20, 2007
    Grounds For Sculpture
    at the Seward Johnson Center for the Arts
    Sculptors Way
    Hamilton, NJ 08619
    http://www.groundsforsculpture.org
    $35.00 ticket includes
    6PM to 8PM Cajun & Creole buffet created by Chef David Ryan with Chez Alice
    http://www.chezalice.com
    7:30 PM Dance lessons offered by Marv & Karen Resnick
    8 PM Snapperhead Zydeco Band takes the stage with a melting pot of music from Louisiana.
    http://www.snapperheadzydeco.com
    Beads will be flying throughout the evening, costumes encouraged.
    Cash bar available.
    Reservations and more information can be made at
    (609) 586-0616 x 20
    Let the good times roll

New Jersey Tour Guide Jersey Warren's Avatar

Default Mardi Gras in New Jersey!

This is amazing! As a New Jersey native who has traveled widely and lived in lots of places, I'll always have a place in my heart and soul for the Garden State. But my memory of New Jersey is mostly of how it was when I left in 1970. Sure, I've been back for visits many times over the years, but not long enough to keep up with all the cultural changes that have taken place since then.

If people in New Jersey had heard of Mardi Gras (or Fat Tuesday) when I lived there, it was of something that happened in New Orleans and had nothing to do with us. The same when I moved to Massachusetts in the 1970s and through most of the 80s. Around 1985, I started working with a native of New Orleans who introduced me to the Big Easy's culture (and an authentic Cajun restaurant in Cambridge, Massachusetts). New Orleans was so different from the rest of the South in fact it had an almost New Jersey-like edge and culture about it, filled with varying ethnic influences.

In 1992, when my first marriage ended while living in Texas, I moved to New Orleans to be near my friend, who had since moved back home. I spent five weeks in New Orleans, and really came to appreciate the culture of the city. (The muffaletta sandwich, created at New Orleans' Central Deli on Decatur Street, is a sandwich of Italian cold cuts on Sicilian bread, and could just as easily have been created in Jersey City or Newark, and probably has, under a different name.) I have been back once since, about a month before Katrina flooded much of the city.

This is a long-winded way of saying that I'm glad New Jerseyans have picked up on the New Orleans culture, which I think compliments the New Jersey culture nicely, like Taylor Pork Roll and beignets for breakfast!