Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 31 of 31

Thread: Sneaky (and confusing) E-Z Pass Lanes

  1. #21
    Tourist
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1

    Default NJ signs tolls comitting fraud by deception

    trip from
    NY to PA and paid all tolls but just got a violation for $1.40 toll and $25 Admin fee for a missed toll at Plaza 14 and lane 17W. Anyone have an idea where this toll is? This is so deceptive and wrong. I know I went in cash lanes and if I recall this said Cash on overhand but when go to booth no one was there and green light or green light said pass thru(something like that. I hate driving through Jersey all the signs are so messed up,some are 100 feet after an overpath so you can't see them unless you do less then 20 MPH nice way to cause accidents and deaths.

  2. #22
    Moderator MITHRANDIR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Ocean County
    Posts
    205

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NewJerseyFraudtolls View Post
    trip from
    NY to PA and paid all tolls but just got a violation for $1.40 toll and $25 Admin fee for a missed toll at Plaza 14 and lane 17W. Anyone have an idea where this toll is? This is so deceptive and wrong. I know I went in cash lanes and if I recall this said Cash on overhand but when go to booth no one was there and green light or green light said pass thru(something like that. I hate driving through Jersey all the signs are so messed up,some are 100 feet after an overpath so you can't see them unless you do less then 20 MPH nice way to cause accidents and deaths.
    The NJTP has you pay tolls when you exit the Turnpike. I have not traveled road in a while, but they should have a both with a person that can accept your toll payment.

    I do not like it on some parkway exits that do not have a person with a cash lane available.

    You are not able to legally pass without paying the toll, but if you do not have EZpass or exact change you are not able to pay the toll.
    Sincerely,
    Anthony


    NJ & You, Perfect Together

  3. #23
    New Jersey Tour Guide Jersey Warren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Ave Maria, Florida
    Posts
    250

    Default

    I was in New Jersey twice recently and was VERY careful about getting in the right toll lane. A few years ago, my mistake costs me lots of money because when you're driving a rental car, the company charges you about $25 to forward each violation notice to you! When in the Dallas area last year they had put in a new toll road that only takes their Speed pass, no cash option at all. But the camera sends bill for the toll (but no fine) after you pass through. I asked the Dallas-area rental car company about this and they assured me that they do not charge an extra fee for this, they just forward the notice and let you pay the toll, which is as it SHOULD be. Still, most of the time I took the toll-free access roads instead of driving on the main toll roads.

  4. #24
    New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Toms River NJ (Jersey Shore)
    Posts
    1,551

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Warren View Post
    When in the Dallas area last year they had put in a new toll road that only takes their Speed pass, no cash option at all. But the camera sends bill for the toll (but no fine) after you pass through. I asked the Dallas-area rental car company about this and they assured me that they do not charge an extra fee for this, they just forward the notice and let you pay the toll, which is as it SHOULD be. Still, most of the time I took the toll-free access roads instead of driving on the main toll roads.
    That woud be too logical. Everything is a beaurocratic mess in New Jersey, just hoping Chris Christie will actually fix things for both the citizens and visitors to New Jersey.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

    Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

    AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook


    New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!


  5. #25
    New Jerseyan
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Delaware Valley area
    Posts
    112

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDevil View Post
    That woud be too logical. Everything is a beaurocratic mess in New Jersey, just hoping Chris Christie will actually fix things for both the citizens and visitors to New Jersey.
    I heard they are going to go "EZ Pass only" on the turnpike in Atlantic County - forget the exit # - on a road that gets a lot of traffic from the south short points to Camden County and Philly. If you dont have the $ they will take a picture of your car and send you a bill.
    I mentioned how there were problems with some of the toll booths registering the change - sometimes if you throw in some extra change above the toll it works - and then you get a bill for the fine - $25! - because the camera took your car photo. So why is it the cameras always work but the coin registers are often jammed up?

  6. #26
    Tourist
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1

    Default The easy way for NJ to make money

    2 weeks ago I entered the parkway. When I left through the toll booth it was a cash lane there was no way for me to drop the money. the collection box was covered. I had no chance to back up since there were cars on my back already.
    Well I just drove through and last week I got a letter where I have to pay $1 + $25 $ fee.
    Congratulations NJ that's an easy way to make extra money. It happened to my son and 2 of his friends as well probably at the same booth.
    I don't go through all this drama with writing letters since I have no proof. They don't accept it by email so you have to write a letter and they probably wait for answer until your timeline is over and then charge $500.

    Does anyone have an Idea what to do in such a case ? Next time I will take a picture of the collection box, but I just try to avoid theses crooked NJ Toll Highways.

  7. #27
    Tourist
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3

    Default

    I was in NJ the first week of August. I stopped at the toll booth and paid the attendant the $1 toll. Yesterday I get a notice from EZ Pass, along with a picture of my car, that I didn't pay the toll and owe $26, the $1 toll plus the administrative.

    The form has places on the back to dispute, but my case would fall under Section B. This says that you must send the $1 toll fee to even be considered. This isn't much money, but I did pay the toll. Maybe I'll tell they that I'm a hillbilly from Tennessee and I ain't never seen no toll road before.

    I would not mind paying the $26 if I had actually run through the EZ Pass. I was in Florida a couple of years ago in a rental car. I was in the far left lane of the turnpike and did go through the toll booth without paying. I couldn't get over in the right lane. The rental company got a notice and charged my credit card $3. $1 for the toll and $2 fine, which is reasonable.

    I really enjoyed my trip to NJ since I hadn't been there since 1957 with my grandparents. But after receiving this notice, I don't think I'll ever be back if I can help it. What a way to promote tourism.

  8. #28
    New Jersey Tour Guide Jersey Warren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Ave Maria, Florida
    Posts
    250

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by catsailr View Post
    .

    I would not mind paying the $26 if I had actually run through the EZ Pass. I was in Florida a couple of years ago in a rental car. I was in the far left lane of the turnpike and did go through the toll booth without paying. I couldn't get over in the right lane. The rental company got a notice and charged my credit card $3. $1 for the toll and $2 fine, which is reasonable.

    I really enjoyed my trip to NJ since I hadn't been there since 1957 with my grandparents. But after receiving this notice, I don't think I'll ever be back if I can help it. What a way to promote tourism.
    The problem I had went beyond the state of NJ. They put three violations on a notice and forwarded it to Dollar Rental Cars. Dollar made three photocopies of the violations notice, sent it to me in three separate envelopes, and charged me $25 for forwarding each violation! After complaining a lot they agreed to reduce the charge to $12.50 for forwarding each notice (which the state had put all on one notice). Needless to say, I'm boycotting Dollar Rental Cars for the rest of my life.

    On my last two trips to NJ I was extremely careful, and traveled in the right lane only on the Parkway whenever a toll booth was coming up. These times, I avoided the problem. Still, it's not the New Jersey of my youth,

  9. #29
    Tourist
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3

    Default

    I sent a protest to EZ Pass stating that I had paid the toll, but received a notice dated 9-9-10 that they were not dismissing the $26. I decided the easiest thing to do was to send them the payment since it appears that are only concerned with how much money they can collect. I did write a letter to the Governor with a copy to the Lt. Governor, the Dept. of Tourism, the Hope Area Chamber of Commerce, the Ocean Grove Chamber of Commerce, and EZ Pass.

    I stated that my wife and I really enjoyed our visit and were thinking of returning to Ocean Grove next summer for a week, but there are many other places we can go where we won't have to but us with crap like this. I will never be in New Jersey again if I can help it.

  10. #30
    New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Toms River NJ (Jersey Shore)
    Posts
    1,551

    Default

    catsailr - I hope you will reconsider never visiting New Jersey again. I am glad you wrote all those agencies though. One of the issues is that government agencies don't see how so much is connected to tourism. EZ-Pass has nothing to do with tourism directly - but when someone has a bad experience such as yours, it does affect it. Hopefully the tourism agencies will be able to put pressure on the other agencies to get their act together, at least use it as a way of educating the non-tourism agencies on how important the visitor experience is from the time they enter NJ to the time they leave.

    I have argued that the signage for many toll areas are badly designed for visitors. This is particularly true for northern New Jersey and around Newark Liberty International Airport. You come to a toll booth with about 20 lanes, you go through a toll booth and then you have to immediately decide what road you need to take - sometimes having to cross tons of traffic to try getting over to the ramp that you need. The signs should be placed over the toll booth, so you can see which side of the toll booth you should be on to get to the road you need to get onto.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

    Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

    AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook


    New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!


  11. #31
    New Jersey Tour Guide Jersey Warren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Ave Maria, Florida
    Posts
    250

    Default This thread has had a long life!

    I started this thread after going back to NJ for my high school reunion four years ago and it still occasionally gets comments, so I guess this is an ongoing problem. I avoided the problem on my last two visits so it's no impossible, but does take a bit of foresight. I feel sorry for first-time visitors.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •