Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CRABBING

Default CRABBING

Went Crabbing down in Barnegat off the docks last Saturday the 23rd. We caught about 15 keepers and alot of throw backs. The crabs have just shredded their shells and it should be great crabbing in a few weeks.

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

I miss crabbing. I really should go down there and go crabbing sometime. We used to go out all the time when I was younger. We had a boat too and used to go out into the bay.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

With spring here and summer approaching - I felt it was time to revive this thread. So who goes crabbing and where are your favorite places? We used to always go crabbing, off the docks and off our boat, most in the Barnegat Bay. W used to use the crab traps, but my favorite method was just to tie a piece of chicken to string, reel them up and net them. The crab trap I think takes all the fun out of it.

I remember when I moved back to NJ, I could definetly tell I was finally back, they sold crab traps right in the grocery stores in Beachwood where my cousins live. I want to go crabbing again, it's a relaxing time and unlike fishing, you're pretty much guaranteed of catching something.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

New Jersey Proud!

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDevil
    With spring here and summer approaching - I felt it was time to revive this thread. So who goes crabbing and where are your favorite places? We used to always go crabbing, off the docks and off our boat, most in the Barnegat Bay. W used to use the crab traps, but my favorite method was just to tie a piece of chicken to string, reel them up and net them. The crab trap I think takes all the fun out of it.

I remember when I moved back to NJ, I could definetly tell I was finally back, they sold crab traps right in the grocery stores in Beachwood where my cousins live. I want to go crabbing again, it's a relaxing time and unlike fishing, you're pretty much guaranteed of catching something.
    I went crabbing a few times with friends when I was younger. It was ok for me, but not something that I would normally do.

I think part of the lack of interest on my part is that I do not care much for eating a crab. (Also I did not like the thought of getting the pinch. I usually walked around the bay with a net looking for the crabs.)
    Sincerely,
    Anthony

NJ & You, Perfect Together

Barnegat right off the dock. Going down there this weekend to check it out and to get the gear preped for the summer. We were catching 50 to 60 keepers a day last August.
    DAVE GERING
    MANAGER JERSEY STORE EWR

Tourist

Default Crabbing LBI off Andy's

Was out there this past weekend with my kids -- has been SOOO long since I was crabbing. We were off the bulkheads down at Andy's by Barnegat Light. Only caught a few keepers, a bunch of littles. Was wondering what bait you all were using and when is the best time to go. I remember always coming home with a bunch and was almost disappointed. Guess I forgot how! LOL. Any help and guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Beth in NJ

Welcome Joyzeegoil.

When we used to go, we used to always use either fish heads, or chicken. I think we mostly used fish heads. It could have been just yoru location, but sicne I have not been crabbing in ages I couldn't tell you. This summer, after I move down to Toms River this week (getting excited I think), I plan on going crab quite a bit and finding out where the beast places to go are. I know there are a number of docks on the bay sides of Barnegat Penisula (by Seaide Park) which are supposed to have good crabbing.

BTW - were you using net and line or were you doing it the easy way and just dropping in a crab trap? I always actually preferred the line and net method, because it was more like fishing and more interactive.

New Jersey Proud!

New Jerseyan

Last weekend we went for dinner at Barr's Landing in Sandy Hook, and kids were running around like crazy on the docks just scooping up crabs near the surface with nets. There sure seemed to be a lot of them...some pretty good sized, some small.

Debbie
    If you're a Jersey musician, please check out my Yahoo! Group, NJ Musician's Network...where you can meet and network with other NJ musicians. Sign up is easy (and free) http://groups.yahoo.com/group/njmusiciansnet/

Tourist

Talking Detailed locations

Quote Originally Posted by DebbieSans
    Last weekend we went for dinner at Barr's Landing in Sandy Hook, and kids were running around like crazy on the docks just scooping up crabs near the surface with nets. There sure seemed to be a lot of them...some pretty good sized, some small.

Debbie
    So excited to see you had lots of fun with crabbing. Can you tell the detailed crabbing locations? I am new with crabbing and have no ideas where I should go. Preferrable to locations no south over Asbury park.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

jsjs - You don't want locations south of Asbury Park? That is where I am most familiar with. Let me know.

New Jersey Proud!

Tourist

jsjs - You don't want locations south of Asbury Park? That is where I am most familiar with. Let me know.
    Thanks, JerseyDevil! I live in Edison area and thought it will be too far for me to go for a early morning crabbing. But please post some of detailed locations south of Asbury Park. I may take a whole day trip. If you know any north of Asbury Park, it will be the best. Thanks again for your information!!

I ve done some crabbing in Keyport. At the marina just off of 36 is a good spot
    DAVE GERING
    MANAGER JERSEY STORE EWR

Tourist

Too early...

Tourist

Smile crabbing

Ahhhh, crabbing. On of the rituals I miss the most! It was a two day prcoess for us, the night before hitting the sand dunes and clam digging, then rising early for high tide to go crabbing on the bay. Planning a trip this summer to bring my father and siblings (with their children and grand children) to reunite everyone at the Jersey Shore. Hopefully we can share the old tradition with everyone, and give my father a taste of what we all remember so fondly!

Quote Originally Posted by Cjolie
    Ahhhh, crabbing. On of the rituals I miss the most! It was a two day prcoess for us, the night before hitting the sand dunes and clam digging, then rising early for high tide to go crabbing on the bay. Planning a trip this summer to bring my father and siblings (with their children and grand children) to reunite everyone at the Jersey Shore. Hopefully we can share the old tradition with everyone, and give my father a taste of what we all remember so fondly!
    So where was your favorite crabbing spot? I miss having our boat, going out on the Barnegat Bay. Haven't done that since I was in high school - before we moved to Indiana. I'm just glad I'm back in NJ where I can now do these things. I hope next summer is better, than this past one.

New Jersey Proud!

Okay - this is going to be a stupid question probably - but I'm going to ask anyway. Does anyone know if the Toms River Bay area - by the River Lady & Huddy Park - is salt water and a good crabbing location? I see people all the time with fishing poles, but I don't think I've seen people crabbing there. It may be brackish, since it's where the Toms River empties into the Barnegat Bay.

New Jersey Proud!

Okay - this is going to be a stupid question probably - but I'm going to ask anyway. Does anyone know if the Toms River Bay area - by the River Lady & Huddy Park - is salt water and a good crabbing location? I see people all the time with fishing poles, but I don't think I've seen people crabbing there. It may be brackish, since it's where the Toms River empties into the Barnegat Bay.
    I know Barnegat Bay is good for crabbing. I think that Toms River is primarily fresh water. I am not sure where the salt/fresh water line is drawn. I will take a look into this and see if I can find any answers.

EDIT:**
    According to EB, Crabs can be found in fresh water and salt water.

crab (Encyclopædia Britannica)

any short-tailed member of the crustacean order Decapoda—especially the Brachyura, or true crabs, but also other forms such as the Anomura, which may resemble them in appearance and habits. The approximately 4,500 species occur in all oceans, in fresh water, and on land.
    Puget Sound king crab. [Photograph]. Retrieved June 25, 2007, from Encyclopædia Britannica Online: http://www.search.eb.com/eb/art-9684

http://www.bbep.org/about.htm
    Toms River is part of the Barnegat Bay Estuary. A mixture of Fresh and Salt water.
    Last edited by MITHRANDIR; 06-25-2007 at 06:45 PM.
    Sincerely,
    Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by MITHRANDIR
    I know Barnegat Bay is good for crabbing. I think that Toms River is primarily fresh water. I am not sure where the salt/fresh water line is drawn. I will take a look into this and see if I can find any answers.
    Thanks. We used to crab in Barnegat Bay, so I definitely know crabbing is good. there. Like you though, I don't know where the fresh water/salt water line is drawn. It would be rather embarrassing going out to Huddy park, dropping in crab lines and having everyone staring at me and then FINALLY someone coming up and saying "You know this IS fresh water!"

If I find out I'll post it.

BTW - good to see you around again. I was wondering where you went. I'm sure once political season starts the board will be hopping again.

New Jersey Proud!

Thanks. We used to crab in Barnegat Bay, so I definitely know crabbing is good. there. Like you though, I don't know where the fresh water/salt water line is drawn. It would be rather embarrassing going out to Huddy park, dropping in crab lines and having everyone staring at me and then FINALLY someone coming up and saying "You know this IS fresh water!"

If I find out I'll post it.

BTW - good to see you around again. I was wondering where you went. I'm sure once political season starts the board will be hopping again.
    I am still here. Although I do not type as much as I used to. (school and other things.) Also since I adjusted the settings on my web browser, I need to login every time I visit here to be registered as a member. Sometimes I do not bother logging into the site and visit as a visitor.

I tried looking at a few sites by the NJDEP and other state sites but I could not find the info. (at least in a easy to find format. )

The best way might be to contact a crabbing/fisherman club.
    Sincerely,
    Anthony

The problem with crabbing nowadays is the fact that not many people throw back the small crabs or the females. For the most part they use the BS excuse I am going to use them for my pasta sauce.