Thread: American Idol gives NJ the shaft

New Jerseyan

Default American Idol gives NJ the shaft

Did anyone watch "American Idol" (AI) on TV last night? They were showing the auditions that had been taped this past August (2006) at Continental Airlines Arena in the Meadowlands, in East Rutherford, N.J.

As far as I could tell, it was never mentioned that the auditions took place in New Jersey.

The whole program was billed as having taken place in New York!

Host Ryan Seacrest and judges Simon Cowell, Paula Abdul, and Randy Jackson all pretended that they were in New York, although I would have to guess that they were just following the producers' instructions.

If anyone watched the program, can you confirm this? I was flipping around the TV dial, so I admittedly did not watch the entire program. But I did happen to catch it going to and coming back from commercials, and each time they mentioned it as having taken place in New York.

What is particularly absurd is that the one girl from Englewood, N.J., who passed her audtion and got to move on to the next round in Hollywood -- she had to pretend that she went to New York to audition, when in actuality she was in her home state of New Jersey the whole time!

If this is all true, the people who run the Meadowlands should all be replaced.

Why would they not insist that the program say that it was being taped in New Jersey!

Isn't the Meadowlands run by a state-owned entity?

The whole thing is an embarrassment to the state of NJ -- especially to the people who live in NJ.

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Sadly I have to confirm what you saw was the case. Although I did not see it first hand, my cousin talked to me last night and told me about it. He had watched it and said that the entire time they were referring to being in New York while showing pictures and video of Continental Airlines Arena.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDevil
    Sadly I have to confirm what you saw was the case. Although I did not see it first hand, my cousin talked to me last night and told me about it. He had watched it and said that the entire time they were referring to being in New York while showing pictures and video of Continental Airlines Arena.
    Jerseydevil,

I confirm what your cousin told you. It was on NJ1015 talking about the program.

I do not see the reason for the show to deny where they are being held.

It would have been entertaining to here a contestant how they arrived to the show.

(
    Host: Please tell us how you arrived to American Idol New York.

Contestant: I went up to Exit 16W on the NJ Turnpike and entered the NJ Meadowlands.
    )
    Sincerely,
    Anthony

NJ & You, Perfect Together

My wife watches th show and I noticed that they kept on saying New York auditions. Another slap in the face for Jersians everywhere
    DAVE GERING
    MANAGER JERSEY STORE EWR

New Jerseyan

I will be e-mailing the FOX network, GOV.Corzine and our other so-called leaders to let them know that this must stop! This was the last straw for me! Now I will demand an explanation from our so-called leaders as to why they allow this to continually happen. The leadership at the meadowlands must also be removed! I suggest everybody e-mail their so-called reps. and demand answers.
    NEW JERSEY HISTORY SECOND TO NONE !

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NJPRIDE
    I will be e-mailing the FOX network, GOV.Corzine and our other so-called leaders to let them know that this must stop! This was the last straw for me! Now I will demand an explanation from our so-called leaders as to why they allow this to continually happen. The leadership at the meadowlands must also be removed! I suggest everybody e-mail their so-called reps. and demand answers.
    Well here are some addresses and phone numbers so you and everyone else can call and write..

NJSEA
    Bernard Spigner
    New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority
    Director of Communications & External Affairs
    Public Affairs Office
    50 State Route 120
    East Rutherford, NJ 07073
    bspigner@njsea.com
    (201)935-8500

Governor Corzine
    PO Box 001
    Trenton, NJ 08625
    609-292-6000

Senator Nicholas Sacco
    9060 Palisade Ave., North Bergen, NJ 07047 (201)-295-0200

Assemblyman Vincent Prieto
    1249 Paterson Plank Rd., Secaucus, NJ 07094 (201)-770-1303

Assemblywoman Joan Quigley
    The Hamilton Park Foundry, 242 Tenth Street, Suite 101 , Jersey City, NJ 07302 (201)-217-4614
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!