Thread: I miss you guys....

Tourist

Talking I miss you guys....

Here I am sitting in boring, predictable California, with it's boring, predictable weather, and it's boring, predictable people, in my boring, predictable clone-of-a-clone house. Can ya tell I'm homesick for Jersey?

I'm indeed a Jersey Girl born and bred. Raised in Irvington till 12; moved to Caldwell for high school at 14; then, for reasons that are still unclear, ran away from home 2 weeks b4 my 15th b-day and somehow landed down the shore in my beloved Seaside. That was in 1975. I spent the next 2 yrs there.... and it was the most magical time of my life. Whenever I get stressed or blue and need to 'go to my happy place', that's where I daydream off to...Seaside and the Boards.

That first summer was amazing. I rented a room for $25 bucks a week (can ya believe that?!) at a boarding house on Blaine Ave, worked nights at Nick's Clam Bar, and slept all day on the beach while developing my tan (and probably skin cancer). That winter I moved to the Ocean Terrace Motel, and life got even better. There was a small group of kids my age that lived there in winters too, and because we had no other choice, consequently became thick as thieves. There was Trina, who had her own place at the Aztec; Sandra Carrier and her sister Diane; Jenny, whose last name I don't remember but whose grandparents owned the old St. Charles Hotel; Billy Rooney (to whom I happily lost my virginity lol); Joey Perrone (who was dating Trina); John (who was dating Diane); Bobby Blackwell, Dave, and Darrin. Oh and I musn't forget Eddie Lutz - another of my first loves - who is now an officer in Seaside. If you're wondering why I'm mentioning all these ppl, it's because I'm praying that one will maybe see this post and contact me, or that someone else out there will know them and pass the word. I would SO love to talk about those old days!!!!

Gotta let the pups out but I'll get back to this again. There's so much more!!

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Welcome Aztec76. It seems like we have quite a few New Jerseyans on the board who feel the same as you. Have moved out of New Jersey and would love to be back. I was one of those people. My family moved to Indiana. Because of the negative strereotype of New Jersey, no one could understand why I wanted to be back here so bad. Ultimately I made it back though and I'm very happy.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

New Jersey Tour Guide

Hi Jeresy Devil, I am laughing as I read the post from Aztec about boring California. Not only is she right but once one goes to New Jersey every other place is boring. I wonder what boring part of Calif she was in. Marianita

Tourist

Quote Originally Posted by Marianita
    Hi Jeresy Devil, I am laughing as I read the post from Aztec about boring California. Not only is she right but once one goes to New Jersey every other place is boring. I wonder what boring part of Calif she was in. Marianita

I'm supposedly in the 'best' part, Marianita lol. Sunny Southern Cal, minutes from beaches (which btw are nothing like Jersey beaches); minutes from Disneyland; minutes from L.A.; minutes from San Diego. I can drive up to Big Bear and play in the snow, then 2 hours later be laying on the beach getting a tan. Sounds wonderful, doesn't it? Well it stinks. Things out here are just TOO easy, if that makes sense. How can a person appreciate a bright sunny day if ALL the days are bright and sunny, kwim? Gotta have a little bit of the sour to balance out the sweet. And I don't mean to be offensive to anyone out here, but these ppl are so funny to me. Heaven forbid we get a little drizzle - out come the umbrellas and hats and scarves and everyone runs to the grocery store to stock up the pantry. And if we actually get a DECENT rain, the news is on every channel all day long reporting, "STORMWATCH 2007!!" It's like the end of the world or something <sigh>

I remember the first morning I woke up here - a Sunday in November 1983. I went out to get breakfast (no food in the house yet), so I just figured I'd hit up a diner for buttered rolls. There WERE no diners. ANYWHERE. I finally found a little restaurant that was open for breakfast and asked for 2 buttered rolls and 2 coffees light and sweet. They looked at me as If I'd grown 2 heads or something. There are no such things out here.

So then I went to the grocery store to get Taylor Ham, eggs, etc. No matter where I looked, the Taylor Ham was not to be found. I had to keep explaining what it was, which was a total mystery to me - how can ya not know what Taylor Ham is??!! I found out much later that it is basically a Jersey thing

After all that running around, I needed gas. I pull into the station, turned the car off and waited. And waited. I must have sat at that pump for a good 5 minutes wondering, "where the Hell is the guy??" Finally someone comes out and approaches the car.

"Is something wrong Miss?"
    "No, I need gas"
    "Ummm..you're at the pump"
    "I know it! Fill it up please"
    "Where you from, honey?"

At dinner we decided we wanted White Castle. Well guess what...none of those out here either. So we go for Chinese. Nothing we ordered looked even remotely familiar. When we asked for duck sauce they became terribly confused, so eventually brought us a small dish of ketchup on one side and mustard on the other. I can LMAO about it now but I cried in my mock duck sauce that night. There are also no Sabrett hot dogs, no scrapple, no zeppoles, no decent pizza, and the bagels are bascially just round rolls with a hole. I could go on and on here but I'm making myself hungry for things I can't have. Oh - and there are no boardwalks....except for one in Santa Monica, which pales in comparison to even the worst of the worst down the shore.

Anyhoo ~ did any of you guys grow up in or around Seaside circa 1976? I am soooo homesick....

Oh - and thanks for the Welcome, JerseyD
    Last edited by aztec76; 02-01-2007 at 06:43 AM.

New Jersey Tour Guide

Hi Aztez, Well, I say. You have just described the LA area to a tee. LOL. I cannot imagine a diner there. Just the thought of one there is so funny. I am in Central Calif which is not quite as boring but I hope to move to New Jersey eventually, Mount Laural to be exact. My son and daughter-in-law live in Marlton. They have been there 3 yrs and are so happy there. I go every year to see them and consider myself to be a wannabe New Jerseyan. lol. My daughter-in-law and I go shopping alot at Cherry Hill Mall and we always get caught in thunderstorms. lol.We often go to Marlton diner or Medford or Cinnaminson. There is not one diner in these parts. I have been longing for a swordfish since I left New Jersey. I had one at The Lobster House in Cape May.Have you been there? There is a place called ''Two Mile Landing'' in Wildwood that also has good swordfish. I miss the scenery and the nice places and the wonderful people. I am going again in May. I have 2 daughters in the LA area and a son in Moreno Valley, Riverside county. And it is boring there , no doubt about it. Central Calif is better but nothing compares with New Jersey. I have a new grandson and he was born in Mount Holly. Now that is a genuine New Jersey little person. It is true that you will encounter many foods that are not familiar including Best Foods mayonaise. My son told me that Hellman's is the same thing.The Santa Monica boardwalk is soooooooo boring compared to Wildwood. And the shopping. Nothing like Cherry Hill Mall, Strawbridges to be exact, my favorite. lol. Are you still there? When are you coming back to NJ? Marianita

Tourist

No Marianita, I don't think I've ever been to The Lobster House, although I have heard it mentioned before. We used to go to the Lobster Shanty in Point Pleasant. Seems you spent alot of time down Wildwood way; we always stayed further north - Wildwood was too far (but the few times we did go we always loved it - never forgot those pure white sandy beaches...).
    So you haven't had swordfish since you moved to CA?? That's funny - I'm just the opposite. I have it all the time now that I'm here, but I don't think I'd ever even heard of it when I lived in NJ lol! But ya know what fish I miss most? Stuffed flounder...oh and piss clams....no wait - A CLAM ROLL FROM HOWARD JOHNSONS!!!! Whenever my mom took us down the shore that's always where we'd stop for lunch as soon as we hit Rte 37. And do any of you guys remember Bonanza on Rte 37? Damn their steaks were good! It's been almost 30 years since they closed down (I think) but I can still remember that wonderful smell that assailed your nostrils as soon as you got out of the car. We used to do Stewarts for hot dogs, too. I remember getting such a kick out of the fact that they served the fries with a toothpick and the ketchup in a little paper cup. I don't even know if they're still there - so much has changed down there

Anyway, you're lucky to be in Central Cal - it's a bit more
    'Jersey-ish' than down here, don't ya think? Hubby and I were up there not too long ago to do the "Sideways" tour, and we stopped in Solvang as well. And every summer we hit Coloma for a few days of river rafting. But those summers will never compare with the summers of old down in my beloved Seaside.

And yes, I'd LOVE to go back. For a while there I was making the trek a couple of times a year, but now, at 45, it just seems like so much of a hassle. Six hour flight (if you're lucky and have no layovers), and add that to the 3 hour time difference which means by the time you get your baggage, rent your car, and drive down the shore - it's after midnight. To make matters worse, I'm a heavy smoker and sitting on a plane that long without a ciggy drives me batty.

Anyhoo, that's my Jersey rant for the day. I can only talk about it in small doses cuz I miss it too much

New Jersey Tour Guide

Smile I miss you guys

I say Aztec, I think that is so funny about you getting swordfish all the time in Calif and I get nary a one. I cannot find any. Now if you want a good steak you do not need to go far. Well, now you would.Lol. Marlton has a Chili's now and has had for about a year or so. My son loved our Chili's here and when one was built in Marlton he wanted to go there all the time. Cape May seems to be a must when I go there to visit. We did spend a lot of time there. OMG what is a ''piss clam?'' I am fortunate to be in Central Calif verses Sounthen Calif. It is indeed more Jerseyish. Those freeways in LA county are bumper to bumper and here it is easier to get around. I do miss New Jersey. You cannot imagine how much. I am planning to go in May and am going to buy my plane ticket soon. I am sure we will head for the nearest diner when I get there. By the way Aztec, it always takes me an entire day to arrive in Philly. There is always a layover somewhere like San Francisco. There are no direct flights from Fresno. I think there is from Los Angeles but not here. I try to take the cheapest way anyhow. One time I got a ticket that was dirt cheap and I had to take 4 flights to get to Philly. It took a mighty long time. It was alright going over, just fine. But coming back was unforgettable. There was a 4 hour delay in Dallas due to a storm so when I arrived in Los Angeles I had missed the plane to Bakersfield. They put me up at the Marriot Hotel for the night. I arrived the next day in Bakersfield and my luggage stayed behind in Los Angeles. They delivered it at 11;00 that night to my house. I cannot wait to drive down the shore again. The time difference throws me off, especially coming back when it gets earlier instead of later. LOL. Marianita

Tourist

OMG what is a ''piss clam?''

LOL Mar - you're a Jersey Girl and you've never had a piss clam?! Okay...I guess some ppl call them 'steamers' but they come in a big bucket of broth and they are the ugliest creatures you could ever imagine - long, thick, spiral-type black tails that you dunked in melted butter and sucked on. If you got them at the wrong time of year (or at a crappy place) they could be quite sandy and not very good at all. Next time you go back, be sure to try them - they are delish if prepared well!

Btw - Do you have a Trader Joe's by you? You can definitely get swordfish there

Donna

New Jersey Tour Guide

Smile

Hi Aztec, I am glad you told me what a piss clam is. lol. I will try one at Cape May or wherever we are. Apparently we do not have Trader Joe's here according to the internet. There is one in Monterey and one in Monrovia. I have either seen one or heard of one but maybe I saw it in Los Angeles.I am sure there must be more of them. Anyway my search for a sword fish continues and I will let you know when I find one. I cannot even get them in the supermarkets here. I talked to my son today and he is buying my plane ticket for May 1st. He said it is very cold there and when the wind blows it is really cold but no snow in Marlton. You know Aztec I was not meant to get here. I was born in Maryland and am an east coast person. Circumstances beyond my control brought me here. This part of Calif is the best for me and the climate reminds me somewhat of the east coast but we don't have the humidity. Take care. Marianita

Tourist

JUST LIKE TO TALK TO SOMEONE FROM NEW JERSEY I WAS THERE FROM 62&63 TIME FRAME AT POINT PLEASANT BEACH AT THE COAST GUARD STATION LOVED IT THERE THE WHOLE AREA AROUND HAD A FANTASTIC TIME WHILE THERE LOVED THE BOARDWALK AND BEACH MET A LOT OF PEOPLE FROM THERE THEY WERE ALL NICE.

New Jersey Tour Guide

Smile About New Jersey

Hi Robert, Actually I am not from New Jersey. I am from Maryland. My son moved to New Jersey 3 years ago after being offered a wonderful job. I am in Central California but go every yr to visit him. I do know a lot about New Jersey. I read the news and keep up on what is going on there. I love it there.
    If you get to go back to New Jersey, Robert, Cape May is a must for superb seafood. Also Wildwood and the boardwalk. There are many neat places. I love Medford which has victorian houses and is beautifully kept. For shopping it is Cherry Hill Mall. But there is the Promonade in Marlton too and many other nice places. Three yrs ago Moorestown was named by Fortune 500 magazine as ''the best place in America to live.'' What an honor. Would'nt you know it would be in New Jersey? 'There are too many places to name here. I can honestly say I feel right at home when I step on New Jersey soil. I am going again in May.I love talking about New Jersey. And the people are indeed nice there. Marianita

Recent Resident

Quote Originally Posted by Marianita
    Hi Robert, Actually I am not from New Jersey. I am from Maryland. My son moved to New Jersey 3 years ago after being offered a wonderful job. I am in Central California but go every yr to visit him. I do know a lot about New Jersey. I read the news and keep up on what is going on there. I love it there.
    If you get to go back to New Jersey, Robert, Cape May is a must for superb seafood. Also Wildwood and the boardwalk. There are many neat places. I love Medford which has victorian houses and is beautifully kept. For shopping it is Cherry Hill Mall. But there is the Promonade in Marlton too and many other nice places. Three yrs ago Moorestown was named by Fortune 500 magazine as ''the best place in America to live.'' What an honor. Would'nt you know it would be in New Jersey? 'There are too many places to name here. I can honestly say I feel right at home when I step on New Jersey soil. I am going again in May.I love talking about New Jersey. And the people are indeed nice there. Marianita
    What a description Marianita. Very well said.

New Jersey Tour Guide

Default I miss you guys

Hi baby_mo, How are you doing? I have 4 days left to work, just 4 days. By the end of this month I will step foot on New Jersey soil. Cape May awaits its and many other places too. Needless to say I am so excited I can hardly wait. Imagine no work for 3 weeks and still getting paid to have a blast in Nj? My little grandson (NJ born) is already going on 8 months old. Marianita

Tourist

HI MARIANITA THIS IS BOB PHELPS IN MISSOURI THAT WAS IN POINT PLEASANT BEACH, SANDY HOOK, WAS ALL AROUND WILDWOOD WHILE I WAS THERE MANASQUAN DINER I SPENT A LOT OF TIME IN, RUNNING AROUND THE WHOLE AREA WHILE THERE LOVED THE WHOLE AREA WENT THRU BOOT CAMP IN CAPE MAY HOPEING TO GET BACK TO BOTH AREA'S SOME DAY. HAVE BEEN ON SEVERAL CRUISES IN THE CARRIBEAN WOULD RATHER SPEND A WEEK OR MORE AROUND JERSEY THE BEACHES THERE. I WAS SINGLE WHEN I WAS THERE IT WAS PARTY PARTY TIME ALL THE TIME OR MOST OF THE TIME ANYWAY. THANKS FOR WRITING GOT TO GO FOR NOW KEEP IN TOUCH. BOB.

New Jersey Tour Guide

Default I miss you guys

Hi Robert, Nice to meet you. I am packing and getting ready to go to the east coast. I will be in Philly Monday early. How very wonderful.

Tourist

ENJOY YOUR TRIP HAVE A GREAT TIME I WISH I WAS GOING BACK TO JERSEY ESPECIALLY POINT PLEASANT, I HOPE TO SEE POINT PLEASANT AND CAPE MAY AGAIN SOME DAY. I VOLUNTEER WORK AT THE USO HERE COUPLE NITES A MONTH I JUST GOT OFF FROM THE MIDNITE TO 6AM SHIFT GOING TO BED FOR AWHILE KINDA DRAGGING, YEAH I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN ABOUT CALIFORNIA DULL JERSEY IS A LOT BETTER. WRITE FROM THERE IF YA CAN OR WHEN YA GET BACK HOME. HAVE A GREAT TIME. BOB.