Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Where to Live in NJ?

  1. #1
    Tourist
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4

    Default Where to Live in NJ?

    I was raised on LI and live in NYC. I really donít know very much (anything) about NJ. Iím ready to move on from apartment living and I travel very frequently.

    That being said, Iíd be interested in buying a house in NJ with the following requirements; Iíd like to be centrally located between Philly airport and Newark airport and Iíd like to be on, or very close to the water so I can conveniently keep a boat.

    Can anyone give me a starting point insofar as counties and/or towns that would meet the above specifications?

    TIA.

    TipsyMcStagger

  2. #2
    New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Toms River NJ (Jersey Shore)
    Posts
    1,551

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TipsyMcStagger
    I was raised on LI and live in NYC. I really donít know very much (anything) about NJ. Iím ready to move on from apartment living and I travel very frequently.

    That being said, Iíd be interested in buying a house in NJ with the following requirements; Iíd like to be centrally located between Philly airport and Newark airport and Iíd like to be on, or very close to the water so I can conveniently keep a boat.

    Can anyone give me a starting point insofar as counties and/or towns that would meet the above specifications?

    TIA.

    TipsyMcStagger
    First off, welcome and I hope that you will continue to post and share your experiences of discovering NJ.

    Now to answer you question. If you are looking for train service - then I would stick around the Northeast Corridor Line - around Middlesex, Mercer and the western end of Monmouth county. If you don't care about train service - then you can go further east in Monmouth County or even into Ocean county, along with Middlesex or Mercer. Plainsboro, where I am located is basically right in the middle between Philadelphia and Newark and about an hour from the ocean. You can also take the back roads from where I am to get to the shore without having to worry about the Parkway.

    Oh - one other question - do you want to be close to the ocean in particular - or is it just so you can go boating? Because the Delaware River has great boating also.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

    Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

    AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook


    New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!


  3. #3
    Tourist
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDevil
    First off, welcome and I hope that you will continue to post and share your experiences of discovering NJ.

    Now to answer you question. If you are looking for train service - then I would stick around the Northeast Corridor Line - around Middlesex, Mercer and the western end of Monmouth county. If you don't care about train service - then you can go further east in Monmouth County or even into Ocean county, along with Middlesex or Mercer. Plainsboro, where I am located is basically right in the middle between Philadelphia and Newark and about an hour from the ocean. You can also take the back roads from where I am to get to the shore without having to worry about the Parkway.

    Oh - one other question - do you want to be close to the ocean in particular - or is it just so you can go boating? Because the Delaware River has great boating also.
    Thanks for the welcome! While the train is a consideration, itís not a major factor. Iím more concerned about keeping the drive time somewhat equal to both PHL and EWR.

    You say youíre an hour from the ocean? You mean youíre an hour inland driving time? I was hoping to find something considerably closer to the water. Not necessarily on the ocean, but at least near the bay or close to an inlet. The boat is primarily for fishing and Iím a saltwater fisherman, so thatís my major consideration.

    Tipsy
    Last edited by TipsyMcStagger; 04-18-2005 at 05:08 PM.

  4. #4
    New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Toms River NJ (Jersey Shore)
    Posts
    1,551

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TipsyMcStagger
    You say youíre an hour from the ocean? You mean youíre an hour inland driving time? I was hoping to find something considerably closer to the water. Not necessarily on the ocean, but at least near the bay or close to an inlet. The boat is primarily for fishing and Iím a saltwater fisherman, so thatís my major consideration.
    How close are you looking at? A half hour? I would stick between ocean and Monmouth counties then on the the eastern end. I had grown up in Bricktown and that is very close to the water and PT Pleasant and Seaside Heights. It's right off the parkway. I'm not sure what the driving time is to Philadelphia airport though. There is also the Atlantic City International Airport - which is cheaper for a lot of flights. My cousins who live in Beachwood - by Toms River - often use AC International.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

    Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

    AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook


    New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!


  5. #5
    Tourist
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDevil
    There is also the Atlantic City International Airport - which is cheaper for a lot of flights. My cousins who live in Beachwood - by Toms River - often use AC International.
    Actually, I do the flying It's what I do for a living. Sometimes, if I'm lucky, I can make my schedule work with trips that originate in Newark or Philly, so those are really the two airports on which I need to focus.

    Iím looking at the map and thinking anything in the Belmar to Toms River area might work, though Toms River is nearly two hours from Philly according to Yahoo! Probably because of the lack of a major artery between the two. I know Belmar and Toms River (and Lakewood) all have general aviation airports too, which is another consideration (for pleasure flying).

    All these areas seem to be about an hour to 90 minutes from Newark, but closer to 2 hours from PHL.

    Tipsy

  6. #6
    New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Toms River NJ (Jersey Shore)
    Posts
    1,551

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TipsyMcStagger
    Actually, I do the flying It's what I do for a living. Sometimes, if I'm lucky, I can make my schedule work with trips that originate in Newark or Philly, so those are really the two airports on which I need to focus.
    Okay - that's cool then. Maybe one day I'll get my license like I've wanted to.
    Iím looking at the map and thinking anything in the Belmar to Toms River area might work, though Toms River is nearly two hours from Philly according to Yahoo! Probably because of the lack of a major artery between the two. I know Belmar and Toms River (and Lakewood) all have general aviation airports too, which is another consideration (for pleasure flying).

    All these areas seem to be about an hour to 90 minutes from Newark, but closer to 2 hours from PHL.
    Well I did a search on mapquest and if yahoo is doing what mapquest does - which i assume it is - it isn't showing you the back roads. Going from To,ms river to Philadelphia - you can take 530 from Beachwood - west to 70 and then hit 295. The way mapquest is showing is going all the way north on the Parkway to 195 and then going west then back south. My cousins go to Philadelphia - not the airport though - and I can ask them how long it takes them.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

    Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

    AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook


    New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!


  7. #7
    Moderator MITHRANDIR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Ocean County
    Posts
    205

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TipsyMcStagger
    Actually, I do the flying It's what I do for a living. Sometimes, if I'm lucky, I can make my schedule work with trips that originate in Newark or Philly, so those are really the two airports on which I need to focus.

    Iím looking at the map and thinking anything in the Belmar to Toms River area might work, though Toms River is nearly two hours from Philly according to Yahoo! Probably because of the lack of a major artery between the two. I know Belmar and Toms River (and Lakewood) all have general aviation airports too, which is another consideration (for pleasure flying).

    All these areas seem to be about an hour to 90 minutes from Newark, but closer to 2 hours from PHL.

    Tipsy
    CR=County Route
    SR=State Route

    From Toms River (Near the Home depot @ US route 9)
    you could take
    CR 571West to CR 537West to
    (This is about were the 5Flags Jackson Outlets are located)
    I-195West (about exit 16)
    to SR 29 North to US Route 1 South to I-95 South to PHL airport
    from
    Toms River to Delaware River is about 40-45minutes
    Delaware River to PHL airport is about 40-45 minutes
    (alternate is to take I-195W to I-295S to SR 70West and follw directions below)

    or

    SR 70 West to US 30 West to Ben Franklin Bridge to I-95S to PHL airport
    from
    Toms River to Ben Franklin Bridge it is about 1 hour
    Ben Franklin Bridge to PHL airport it is about 15-20 minutes

    If you live in Jackson near Exit 16 on I-195 you can cut about 20 minutes from your commute to PHL.

    Jackson is about 40-45 minutes from the Seaside Park.

    You can work out some routes from the following web site.
    PDF maps of NJ and its counties
    The maps are very good. However, they only label major roads. (a good place to start till you get more familiar with NJ)

    Belmar to PHL is not a bad trip
    138West to I-195West to above directions.
    Belmar to Del River about 45-55 minutes

    Belmar is also close to SR 18 which leads to GSParkway.
    Hope this helps a little.
    Sincerely,
    Anthony


    NJ & You, Perfect Together

  8. #8
    New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Toms River NJ (Jersey Shore)
    Posts
    1,551

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MITHRANDIR
    SR 70 West to US 30 West to Ben Franklin Bridge to I-95S to PHL airport
    from
    Toms River to Ben Franklin Bridge it is about 1 hour
    Ben Franklin Bridge to PHL airport it is about 15-20 minutes
    Well coming from the Toms River area - I would take 530 to 70 - but then take 295 south and 676 to the Walt Whitman Bridge - not the Ben Franklin. 30 has a ton of lights on it.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

    Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

    AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook


    New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!


  9. #9
    Moderator MITHRANDIR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Ocean County
    Posts
    205

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDevil
    Well coming from the Toms River area - I would take 530 to 70 - but then take 295 south and 676 to the Walt Whitman Bridge - not the Ben Franklin. 30 has a ton of lights on it.
    It is a good idea. Out of habit I usually go to PHL via the Ben Franklin.
    Recently I prefer to go to PHL via Trenton (Can cross delaware w/out paying a toll and it is about the same time as going via he Ben Franklin)
    Sincerely,
    Anthony


    NJ & You, Perfect Together

  10. #10
    Tourist
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MITHRANDIR

    If you live in Jackson near Exit 16 on I-195 you can cut about 20 minutes from your commute to PHL.

    Jackson is about 40-45 minutes from the Seaside Park.
    Thanks for the continued good information. I mentioned Tomís River to a friend of mine whoís lived in NJ for some time. He said itís nice there but warned of a problem with contaminated drinking water and a high rate of cancer. Something to do with a military installation? I havenít had a chance to look into this.

    Ironically, he mentioned Jackson as a good alternative.

    Thanks again. Iím at least a year away from making a move, so Iíve got a lot of reading to do.

    Tipsy

  11. #11
    Moderator MITHRANDIR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Ocean County
    Posts
    205

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TipsyMcStagger
    Thanks for the continued good information. I mentioned Tomís River to a friend of mine whoís lived in NJ for some time. He said itís nice there but warned of a problem with contaminated drinking water and a high rate of cancer. Something to do with a military installation? I havenít had a chance to look into this.

    Ironically, he mentioned Jackson as a good alternative.

    Thanks again. Iím at least a year away from making a move, so Iíve got a lot of reading to do.

    Tipsy
    Another thing to consider:

    Jackson, Toms River, Brick and some more of these areas are relatively large. It can sometimes take you 15-20 minutes to go from one side of the area to another.

    For example; One area of Toms River is about 5 minutes from Seaside Park, while another area of Toms River is about 25-30 minutes from Seaside Park.

    Something to take into account.
    Sincerely,
    Anthony


    NJ & You, Perfect Together

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •