View Poll Results: What should the name of the Giants be...

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • New Jersey Giants

10 76.92%
  • Giants

1 7.69%
  • New York Giants

2 15.38%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Giants new Stadium

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MABL
    Holy crap. Then I guess the fault lies with Codey for getting us all hosed on that deal. That's unbelievable. So the Giants/Jets are now sole owners of the stadium ? Do we get anything for them being here ? I can see where you're coming from now.
    Yes - they wil be the SOLE owners of the new Stadium. The only thing we get will be some tax payments. They have 100 percent control. Corzine even gave away more things than Codey did. We were intitially supposed to be getting "some money" from selling the naming rights, but we were paying $30 million in infastructure improvements. Then Corzine comes in and looks at the deal, wants a roof on the stadium. The Giants say no - Corzine says okay, what about we give up naming rights to the stadium and you pay for the infastructuere improvemets (which probably won't happen or will be shouldered by Xanadu anyway), and while we're at it - because we're NJ politicians groveling at the feet of a wonderful "NY" team, we'll throw in the complete naming rights of the Meadowlands for. So Jets, want to see where the tax payers of NJ just bought you your practic field?

BTW - Corzine has now come out publicly and says he regrets the deal he made with the Giants. Needless to say Codey was pissed by the comment, because that was the ONLY thing that he worked for while governor.

LOL That's unbelievable. Part of NY ? I guess I overestimated the common NFL fan. Actually, I shouldn't be surprised. LOL
    Not surprising really though. When theh whole thing was going on about the Super Bowl being held at the Meadowlands, did CNN have NJ representatives on the show to discuss it? No - they had New YORK representatives, who had no say whatsoever in what happens at the Meadowlands. This was on "Talk Back Live". I wrote a message to them, which they read on the air, which basically said that it was NJ who would be holding the Super Bowl NOT New York. The New York representatives of course said well eveyrone considers it NY and for all purposes it is NY so it was a mute point.

When the Giants were in the Super Bowl the last time, who were the friendly political bets made between? NJ and the opposing state congressmen? hell no - they bet with the NY representatives! The thing is with these friendly bets, is they bet with things that promote the state. NJ was shut out and got ZERO publicity for OUR team being in the Super Bowl, NY got it all. Mayor Koch refused to give the Giants a Super Bowl party when they won under his adminstration, he told the media, they're a NJ team, let's see Tom Kean give them a ticker tape parade in Trenton. Well the Super Bowl party wasn't in Trenton, it was at the Meadowlands, but WE GAVE THEM their party!
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

Well just great - the wonderful "this stadium will not cost New Jersey taxpayers any money" stadium is now reported to be costing New Jersey 200 MILLION DOLLARS and to top it off, the damn teams refuse to promote New JERSEY!!

NFL clears $300M for new stadium in Meadowlands
    BY MATTHEW FUTTERMAN STAR-LEDGER STAFF

The National Football League owners approved $300 million in financing yesterday for the planned stadium in the Meadowlands the Jets and Giants will share, paving the way for construction of the most expensive sports venue in the country.

The vote by the 32 team owners at their meeting in Dallas ends two months of rancorous debate that pitted small market owners with misgivings about providing so much money to the two New York-area teams against NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell, who desperately wants a new stadium in the metropolitan area.

If the Jets and Giants can agree on a final design for the 81,000-seat stadium — which may not be easy given their rivalry on and off the field — construction could begin in late spring. The facility is expected to open in August 2010.

‘‘This is a major day,’’ Jets owner Woody Johnson said. ‘‘Everyone recognized these kinds of opportunities don’t come around very often. It’s going to be good for everyone.’’

But the teams’ good fortune could cause financial problems for the state.

The site on which the stadium will be built is now public property. But once the teams finalize their lease for the site at the end of the month, it will be considered private land. As a result, the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority, the state agency that operates the Meadowlands Sports Complex, will have to pay off $80 million in debt within 90 days.

Paying off that debt will likely wipe out the last of the $165 million windfall the state received from the developers of the massive Xanadu retail and entertainment center now under construction at the Meadowlands.

‘‘There are a whole series of options for paying off the bonds, but those will have to be discussed with the treasurer’s office and in concert with the governor,’’ said Carl Goldberg, chairman of the sports and exposition authority.

Three years ago, when the Giants first started talking seriously about building a stadium to replace 30-year-old Giants Stadium, the price tag was set at between $600 million and $700 million. Now, the new facility is expected to cost at least $1.2 billion.

By the same token, state officials who supported the new stadium said last year the only cost to taxpayers would be $120 million in debt the state will have to pay off on Giants Stadium once it is razed. Revenues from the stadium now cover the debt payments.

The additional $80 million brings the total cost for taxpayers to $200 million.

Goldberg said the state may use the remaining money from Xanadu’s developers — about $75 million — to cover part of that cost. It’s unclear how the state would make up the difference, he said.

Despite the additional costs, even state officials who have been critical of the project were optimistic yesterday.

‘‘I’m pleased things appear to really be coming together for the sports complex,’’ said George Zoffinger, the sports authority’s chief executive, who has been a critic of the stadium project for years because the state is turning over a profitable business to private interests. Plans for the sports complex now call for Xanadu to open in 2008. The next year, a rail link with stops at Xanadu and the new stadium will bring mass transit to the Meadowlands for the first time. And in 2010 the new stadium, with a modern lighting system that will make it glow blue for the Giants and Green for the Jets, will host its first games.

‘‘We are very enthused,’’ Goldberg said. ‘‘This was arguably the last major obstacle to the start of construction, and we are anxious to take the next step.’’

In a statement, Johnson and Giants owners John Mara and Steve Tisch said their goal is to create a stadium that will revolutionize and enhance the experience for the fans.

‘‘This modern and technologically advanced stadium will bring about a new excitement for football in the region and throughout the league, and be a showcase for the grandeur and fun that NFL gamedays offer,’’ the two said.
    BTW - this $200 million dollar price tag doesn't even take up all the stuff that New Jersey currently collects money from, such as concert tickets and other special events. This will now all go into the football teams pockets. This also doesn't include the $100 million that NJ spent to buy the Jets the land for their practice facility. It's amazing - all this money going to teams who don't even want to acknowledge they play here. I can see what they say to New Jersey representatives in the negotiating meetings - "New Jersey please bend over!"

Also, an often less reported item - New Jersey gave the Giants the naming rights to the Meadowlands, so the Meadowlands will no longer be called the Meadowlands. I wonder what will happen if New York decides to buy the naming rights and it ends up being called the "New York Sports Complex". Unlike New Jersey, New York understands marketing and the power of promoting a positive image.

If you can't wear NJ then Go ACROSS THE RIVER!!!!
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

New Jersey Proud!

New Jerseyan

Default Disgusted

I don't even have words right now.

Recent Resident

You know what else grinds my gears ? When the Fox NFL pregame crew (you know, Jimmy Johnson, Bradshaw, et al.) come to Giants Stadium when they are doing a Giant game, but always say they are in NEW YORK. WTF ? They are right outside the stadium. Get those guys a map ! I bet they even stay in Jersey, fly into Newark, etc., and only step foot in the city if they go after the game.

New Jersey Tour Guide Jersey Warren's Avatar

Default New Jersey Giants!

It even sounds better because the "J" in Jersey and the "soft G" in Giants alliterate better that York and Giants. (Same with Jets.)

Because of the Jets' former home in Shea Stadium, I always thought of them as being more of a New York team than the Giants. Yes, I know the Giants used to play in Yankee Stadium but that was much more in the past, about 30 years ago.

I always thought they should have a bowl game in Shea Stadium which is in Flushing, and call it the Toilet Bowl! (Get it: Flushing: Toilet!)

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this - DropNY.com. Not all the links work - basically just the main page and the store. Need to get some items on what to include, letters, petition, etc. Please give me your ideas and thoughts and let me know what you think of the site.

New Jersey Proud!

New Jerseyan

I understand and support what you are trying to do J.D. but on the site it is filled with N.Y. Giants and N.Y. Jets adds. What gives?
    NEW JERSEY HISTORY SECOND TO NONE !

Quote Originally Posted by NJPRIDE
    I understand and support what you are trying to do J.D. but on the site it is filled with N.Y. Giants and N.Y. Jets adds. What gives?
    I know it is. I put Google ads on there which basically analyze the page and then present the most appropriate ads. I may end up taking those off and have a donate button, but nobody really donates. Not sure what the best thing would be. Maybe I'll just forget about trying to make any money to support the site.

What do you think of the product design?

New Jersey Proud!

New Jersey Tour Guide

Smile

Hi Nurvingeil, I am glad you confessed to voting NY as I did not want Jersey Devil thinking it was me. LOL. I kind of wondered myself who had done such a thing. lol. Well needlesstosay I voted for New Jersey, my state atleast in my heart and my annual visits. By the way I am going again in May. Marianita

New Jersey Tour Guide

Hi Jersey Devil, I am not surprised that Corzine has a part in this stadium deal. I am sure you know how I voted. Any team in New Jersey should be called New Jersey. Marianita

We have recently Bulked up on the amount OF New Jersey Devils product we carry in our store (another battle that I won). My buyers asked mei f I wanted to carry Jets or Giants product and I said no based on the fact that they refuse to call themselves Jersey. The RUTGERS product is still selling great. Its fun to see the pride that the Football team has created.
    DAVE GERING
    MANAGER JERSEY STORE EWR

New Jerseyan

Default Store Accessible to everyone?

Quote Originally Posted by davegering
    We have recently Bulked up on the amount OF New Jersey Devils product we carry in our store (another battle that I won). My buyers asked mei f I wanted to carry Jets or Giants product and I said no based on the fact that they refuse to call themselves Jersey. The RUTGERS product is still selling great. Its fun to see the pride that the Football team has created.
    Is your New Jersey Store in Newark Airport? And if so, is it accessible to everyone -- meaning if I go to the airport to pick up a family member who is coming in on a flight, can I visit your store?

Or is your store only accessible to people who are flying and/or airport employees?

I tried to visit a store in the airport once but security would not let me pass through the security checkpoint because I did not have a plane ticket.

Whereas, for example, at Kennedy Airport in New York, everyone can visit their stores, I believe.

I am in Terminal A pre security so anyone can come in. i am right accross from the food court. By gates 20-28
    DAVE GERING
    MANAGER JERSEY STORE EWR

Here is another example of the misrepresentation of the Giants and Jets -

Skanska clinches US stadium deal

Swedish construction group Skanska says it has received an order to build a stadium for the two New York American football teams, the Jets and the Giants.
    This was on a swedish news site. New Jersey gets no recognition for these teams whatsoever, yet our tax money continue to go to support them.

New Jersey Proud!

New Jersey Tour Guide

Smile

Hi Dave, That is good to know for next time I get out that way. I think it will work out easier next time now that the baby has arrived. Marianita

The Courier Post had the following article online about the new stadium going up in NEW JERSEY for the home of the so-called "New York" Giants and "New York" Jets.
    Design unveiled for new Giants, Jets stadium
    Thursday, September 6, 2007
    By JONATHAN TAMARI
    Gannett State Bureau
    EAST RUTHERFORD

Giants and Jets fans will have a "grand entrance" with images that change to suit each team, better access to parking and a rail line to get to games at the football teams' new stadium, team officials said Wednesday as they unveiled the site's design.

State officials said the $1.3 billion stadium, paid for by the two teams, will be a worthwhile investment for the state.

But fans can expect parking headaches for the next three years of construction, and the state is slated to spend more than $300 million for infrastructure improvements around the stadium.

Gov. Jon S. Corzine said the stadium will help create 500 permanent jobs, and he and Senate President Richard J. Codey, D-Essex, emphasized that it will keep both teams -- which use New York in their logos and literature -- in New Jersey.

The two officials and executives from the teams and National Football League spoke as yellow cranes dug into piles of dirt behind them. The teams hope to have the 82,500 seat stadium ready for 2010 football season.

The new stadium, the only NFL site to host two teams, will feature a 400-foot long, 40-foot tall "Great Wall" with colors, logos and images that will rotate for each team's home games.

"You will definitely know which team is the home team," said Giants Chairman and Executive Vice President Steve Tisch.

In the existing Giants Stadium that hosts both teams, the Jets are officially "tenants" and play in front of seats that are Giants blue and red. Former Jets star Curtis Martin said the changing face will make for a new game-day feel.

"Your stadium is your home, and you're kind of proud of your home," Martin said. "The Giants have always had their own stadium but for us, as the Jets, to be able to have our own stadium, and especially one of this caliber, it's going to be amazing."

The teams also plan to more than triple the number of access lanes for parking, which they hope will ease traffic getting into and out of the stadium. During construction, however, the Meadowlands will lose more than 4,000 parking spots, said New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority Chairman Carl Goldberg, likely leading to a rougher ride to the games. The exposition authority will have off-site parking and shuttles, he said. He advised fans to arrive for games early.

The first true test of the construction's impact will come Sunday, the first weekend of the NFL's regular season. The Jets host the New England Patriots at 1 p.m.

The stadium is being built near the existing Giants Stadium and will host 20 NFL games per year as well as 80 other events, such as concerts.

Reach Jonathan Tamari at jtamari@gannett.com
    They allow for people to post messages and someone posted the following -

Why is it so important that people want the Giants and Jets to change their name to NJ?
    They represent the NY metropolitan area. Half of NJ supports the Eagles, regardless of what those 2 teams call themselves. No matter what they call themselves NJ still receives tax revenue from the stadium every Sunday
    I responded with the following...

It does matter whether New JERSEY teams show some pride in the state they play in and have played in for the past 30 years. If a Detroit team decided it was going to relocate to Windsor Canada and keep it's "Detroit" name - there would be outrage by Canadians. In New Jersey the attitude is that we don't matter and we're just a subsection of New York - but we are NOT! it is outrageous that these teams get 100's of millions of dollars from us, yet NY gets all the credit. I've lived in six states and been to 40 and because everything that occurs in northern New Jersey being marketed as "New York", ie "Live Earth New York", American Idol - New York, Giants and Jets and now the Red Bulls - people have insisted to me that New Jersey is a part of New York.

If it doesn't matter then the teams should properly represent where they play and who ACTUALLY supports them.

I will not support either the Giants or Jets until they remove that ridiculous NY off their uniform and show some pride at where they play and call home. I hope neither one ever wins the Super Bowl again as long as they wear NY on their uniforms and play in NJ. As you pointed out, we get the tax dollar - which we get either way - so I say let NY be associated with a losing team.

One thing people don't get though, is that the true dollars are in the marketing generated - why do you think businesses spend 100's of millions of dollars to get their name on a stadium? It's not the tax dollars made from the games that's important, it's the advertising dollars to bring visitors in.. Look at how many people worship Madison Square Garden. Look at the image that the Yankees give to NY. Everyone in the world knows about New York and wants to go to NY and a lot of times they want to see a Yankee game or see Madison Square Garden. Hardly anyone even knows New Jersey exists because we get so tied together with New York. Everytime "New York" mentioned on TV or the radio in relation to the Giants and Jets, that's free advertising for New York.

Another thing - I find it ironic that the Jets have been pissed off that they have had to play in a stadium that was never really theirs, with their rivals name on it, yet they saw NO PROBLEM with putting NY on their uniform - which is New Jersey's rival!

http://www.AboutNewJersey.com
    http://forum.AboutNewJersey.com
    http://www.DropNY.com
    BTW - Did everyone notice that it was ONLY New Jersey representatives at the Stadium unveiling? Why weren't there any Naw Yawkas there? Oh yeah - I know why - the Giants and Jets are NOT New York teams and Naw Yawk has NOTHING to do with them!!!!

Side note: I came up with the new slogan - "Be Proud of Where You Play - Wear NJ"

New Jersey Proud!

New Jerseyan

Default New Jersey's new Meadowlands Stadium

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDevil
    BTW - Did everyone notice that it was ONLY New Jersey representatives at the Stadium unveiling? Why weren't there any Naw Yawkas there? Oh yeah - I know why - the Giants and Jets are NOT New York teams and Naw Yawk has NOTHING to do with them!!!!

Side note: I came up with the new slogan - "Be Proud of Where You Play - Wear NJ"
    I didn't get a chance to see the official unveiling. But I love how that it was all New Jersey reps there. If only they had the guts to call the teams out on their NY name.

That's a fantastic slogan! It would make a great T-shirt!

New Jerseyan

Default New Jersey Giants T-shirts

Here are three New Jersey Giants T-shirts that I own.
    Last edited by A-Line; 09-11-2007 at 08:18 PM.

A-Line, glad to see you back. So where did you get those shirts? They look like they might be old, from when the Giants first moved to NJ almost. Just wondering. I like the classic "NJ" one - I've worked with reworking the Giants logo form the NY to the NJ. It doesn't take much at all.

In regards to your previous comment - I agree - i wish our politicians would get a backbone and stand up to the Giants, Jets and now Red Bulls. Basically Codey wanted to get the Giants to stay at any cost, that's why we ended up giving them everything. BTW - the cost of infrastructure improvements to the Meadowlands went up supposedly from $30 million to $300 Million. But yet - remember - it's not costing the NJ tax payers anything to build the stadium.

New Jersey Proud!

New Jersey Tour Guide

Hi ALine. How can I get one of those tee shirts?