View Poll Results: What should the name of the Giants be...

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • New Jersey Giants

10 76.92%
  • Giants

1 7.69%
  • New York Giants

2 15.38%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Giants new Stadium

New Jerseyan

Angry petition

I dont know what I can do , Im far from a computer wiz . But I can think about it at least and come up with some suggestions . We have to let them know in a petition we feel they are not representing our interests , they are NOT showing state pride , and if these team issues dont change they WILL lose our support and we will find someone to support who feels the way we do ! WE MUST BE CLEAR ABOUT THIS , ITS TIME THIS NONSENSE ENDS OR THESE SO CALLED REPRESENTATIVES WILL LOSE THEIR JOBS ! WE CAN NOT BE NICE ! I will try to come up with some more ideas .
    Last edited by NJPRIDE; 04-04-2006 at 08:28 PM.
    NEW JERSEY HISTORY SECOND TO NONE !

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NJPRIDE
    I dont know what I can do , Im far from a computer wiz . But I can think about it at least and come up with some suggestions .
    Any suggestions would be great, if you know of anyone who can support our efforts, get people excited and all that.
    We have to let them know in a petition we feel they are not representing our interests , they are NOT showing state pride , and if these team issues dont change they WILL lose our support and we will find someone to support who feels the way we do ! WE MUST BE CLEAR ABOUT THIS , ITS TIME THIS NONSENSE ENDS OR THESE SO CALLED REPRESENTATIVES WILL LOSE THEIR JOBS ! WE CAN NOT BE NICE !
    The thing is we need to get New Jerseyans excited and motivated behind this. We have to get New Jerseyans to stop saying "well at least we have the teams." Can you imagine New Jersey showing some pride? I think the whole world would be turned upside down if people actually spoke out and stood behind this.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

New Jerseyan

That was me that NJPRIDE came across in one of the NJ.com sports forums. I post there (under a different name) from time to time because I am a huge sports fan.

I wanted to find out what others thought about the potential name change to the Meadowlands Sports Complex, so I made a few posts on NJ.com's Devils, Nets, Giants, Jets, and MetroStars forums.

Sadly, there were very few replies to my posts. And, of those who did reply, there were even fewer people (aside from NJPRIDE) who seemed bothered by the Meadowlands name change or the fact that New Jersey is losing its professional sports teams.

I'm now thinking that maybe the diehard sports fans who post in those sports forums aren't the ones we should target, in trying to get New Jerseyans to support New Jersey-named sports teams. Most of those guys/girls are so wrapped up in worrying about their respective teams' seasons that they don't want to give much thought to team names and uniforms and such. Also, I think that it has been ingrained in their heads for so long -- probably since birth -- that rooting for New York and Philly teams is supposed to be the norm and that Jersey teams are not to be taken seriously. So they have trouble comprehending it when someone broaches the idea that New Jerseyans deserve to be proud of their sports teams and proud of where they come from.

Rather, we should just target the average New Jerseyan -- people who are going about their everyday lives. Or maybe people who are already exhibiting a little Jersey pride by attending town parades, county fairs, state parks, etc. ... I just read the post on this site about the upcoming 2006 SPIRIT of the JERSEYS State History Fair. Any chance that we can get something going at that event -- maybe just hand out some preliminary fliers or something?

Here are a few slogans I was kicking around:

1) "New Jerseyans for New Jersey Sports Teams"
    2) "New Jerseyans for NJ Sports Team Names"
    3) "Say No to New York Sports Teams in New Jersey"
    4) "Just Say No to New York Sports Teams in New Jersey"
    5) "Just Say No to NY Sports Teams in NJ"
    6) "No More NY Sports Names in New Jersey"
    7) "Drop the NY in Jersey Sports Teams"
    8) "Take Back NJ, Drop the NY"
    9) "Boycott New York Sports Teams in New Jersey"
    10) "Support New Jersey Sports Teams: Drop the NY!"
    11) "Support NJ Sports Teams: Drop the NY Names"

Maybe you all have other ideas?
    Last edited by A-Line; 04-05-2006 at 12:22 AM.

New Jerseyan

Default petition

A-Line you have some good suggestions but # 8 looks good because it says TAKE BACK NEW JERSEY . I really dont have any computer skills but I want to help us get back our state from these spineless ,corrupt, no pride politicians , and these teams ! Ive never worked on getting a petition together so I would not know where to start . I do have friends that feel the same way we do . LETS GET IT ON AND TAKE BACK OUR STATE ! Its time that we stand up and make more people proud of good old N.J. !
    NEW JERSEY HISTORY SECOND TO NONE !

I like number 8 also. I think just having "Take Back New Jersey" sounds good. What about "Say Yes to NJ, drop the NY".

NJPride - tell your friends to join the messageboard and post their feelings here. We need to write up the petition. I assume we will be sending it to the legislature, Governor and NJSEA. We need to have it clearly state what we want and why having the "NY" in the team names adversely affects NJ's identity.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

New Jersey Proud!

New Jerseyan

I like "Take Back New Jersey" and/or "Say Yes to NJ, Drop the NY" too. The simpler, the better.

I can try back at the NJ.com forums and suggest to all who are interested to logon to this messageboard. I know of a few other Devils forums I can try too. And I'll see if I can find any other Nets forums. I gotta believe that there are some Nets fans around who are bummed out that they might be losing their team to Brooklyn.

I've been pretty busy the last few days; that's why I haven't had a chance to post here earlier in the day/evening.

Quote Originally Posted by A-Line
    I like "Take Back New Jersey" and/or "Say Yes to NJ, Drop the NY" too. The simpler, the better.

I can try back at the NJ.com forums and suggest to all who are interested to logon to this messageboard. I know of a few other Devils forums I can try too. And I'll see if I can find any other Nets forums. I gotta believe that there are some Nets fans around who are bummed out that they might be losing their team to Brooklyn.
    That'll be cool. Then if they join, then we can hopefully get more people behind this, more than just discussing our outrage amongst ourselves, but then lso get some momentum behind the petition.
    I've been pretty busy the last few days; that's why I haven't had a chance to post here earlier in the day/evening.
    No problem. I'm at the Governors Conference on Tourism right now in AC, so I'm on Trump Plaza internet connection. I'm having a lot of problems with this net connnection, it keeps timing out. I was just coming on to see if there was any movement with ths thread or the metorstars thread and to check my mail. not sure if I'll be back on tomorrow. I was trying to keep a running diary of things while I'm here.. which you can see today's entry on the "200r Governor's Confernce" thread.

New Jersey Proud!

New Jerseyan

I'll check out your entry.

So far, I haven't had a chance to check out much of the other stuff on this site. (I've been so wrapped up in this NY/NJ thing.

Side note (maybe this comment belongs in another thread area): I'd like to learn how you post people's quotes in the little box and then post your own message directly underneath.

I'll check out your entry.

So far, I haven't had a chance to check out much of the other stuff on this site. (I've been so wrapped up in this NY/NJ thing.
    That's understandable. Generally messageboards have a single or a couple of threads that become really active, then once those slow down, then people look at other things. But I hope you'll contribute to the board in other areas also.
    Side note (maybe this comment belongs in another thread area): I'd like to learn how you post people's quotes in the little box and then post your own message directly underneath.
    If you want to quote something that someone said - the easiest thing to do is just click the "quote" botton on th post that you want to quote. It will open up the reply box and in it will be the post you wish to quote surrounded by [.quote] [/.quote] tags (minus the periods). You can delete parts of the message in the tags, so you can just quote what you will be replying to.

Also, if you are posting a newspaper article or an article you found online - you can also surround it by the quote marks. If you still have problems, let me know.

BTW - Johnathan Tisch (sp) gave the keynote speech at the governors conference tody. Right in the beginning of his speech he mentioned the Giants and how great it was that Corzine signed the deal for the new stadium. He's one of the owners. After that morning session time was over, I went up and him and told him how he mentioned the Giants. I went on and asked him if he was aware that many New Jerseyans were upset that they carry the NY name. He said the name isn't changing. I went on and he said that it didn't matter - they are never changing the name. He said that the Giants are not ashamded of being in NJ. I would like to know why they won't take NY. I would be happy if they dropped NY from the name and just went back to the Giants, but having NY is a slap in the face for NJ and I don' care what he says.

After this, we ended up being in the elevator together, after we got out he did ask me about the website. I didn't tell him I don't promote the Giants or Jets on here because they refuse to acknowledge themselves as NJ teams, except for the times when the New Jersey tax payers hand them a check. I'm sure if he checks it out, he'll see this messageboard and he'll see other things. This board gets a lot of activity, with people reading it. The website gets a lot of activity period.

I was also surprised at how mny people in the NJ tourism industry don't see NJ teams having NY in their logo or nam as being an image problem for NJ. It's the same thing - they're answer is - "well we get the money". When I did mention that we spend OUR money on them and NY gives them nothing - several people responded thatI had a point. I think to make a case for this, we have to stress the NJ tax dollars going to support a multi-million dollar sports team and NY doesn't support them at all, but yet gets all the recognition.

Let's face it, NY has our politicians licking their feet. Also, someone mentioned to me today that the northeastern part of the state looks at themselves as being more NY than NJ. I'm really quite fed up with these NJ sports teams carrying NY on their uniforms and our politicians just handing the state over to them.

New Jersey Proud!

Lady Luck Admin Sister Golden Hair's Avatar

Just hit the little button on the bottom right of the person's post that you wish to quote that says "quote". Delete out the text you don't wish to discuss. The quote tags are automatically there, and just type your message after the quote tag at the end. Or you can just copy the other person's text and paste it in the reply box and type in the quote tags. At the beginning of the post use [] with the word quote inside of them, and at the end of the text use [] with /quote inside them. If you push the quote button though, the tags are already there.

I see about time you did some work. J/k No comment on the turncoat NJ sports teams though?

BTW everyone - NJGiants.com, NJJets.com and NJRedBulls.com are all taken. I'm trying to think of other domain names that might be available.

New Jersey Proud!

New Jerseyan

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDevil
    BTW - Johnathan Tisch (sp) gave the keynote speech at the governors conference today. Right in the beginning of his speech he mentioned the Giants and how great it was that Corzine signed the deal for the new stadium. He's one of the owners. After that morning session time was over, I went up to him and told him how he mentioned the Giants. I went on and asked him if he was aware that many New Jerseyans were upset that they carry the NY name. He said the name isn't changing. I went on and he said that it didn't matter - they are never changing the name. He said that the Giants are not ashamded of being in NJ. I would like to know why they won't take NY. I would be happy if they dropped NY from the name and just went back to the Giants, but having NY is a slap in the face for NJ and I don' care what he says. After this, we ended up being in the elevator together, after we got out he did ask me about the website. I didn't tell him I don't promote the Giants or Jets on here because they refuse to acknowledge themselves as NJ teams, except for the times when the New Jersey tax payers hand them a check. I'm sure if he checks it out, he'll see this messageboard and he'll see other things.
    That's great that you actually had the opportunity to have that conversation with Mr. Tisch. I'm not surprised at his response. That has been the Giants position for quite a while now. Yet I have been under the impression that the organization did toy with the idea of a name change at one time. But after they made the firm decision to stick with the New York name, they didn't have to add insult to injury by reverting back to the old "ny" helmet logo -- especially after they had already been playing in New Jersey for something like 24 years!

If anything positive came out of your brief conversation with Mr. Tisch, at least he is now aware that there are still some hurt feelings over the Giants not properly acknolwedging the state in which they play.

Hopefully the Giants brass keeps getting reminded of that.

NJPride - thanks for the NJ plug. I was going through the webstats and it had the link to the thread you posted in on NJ.com. I guess NJ.com closes threads that are a certain age. I don't see the purpose of that - but it's their board. I just wish I could have posted to the last responder who made the statement that having NY in the name was great for the sport because it got all these international players interested in coming over. The thing is - they're only coming over because of the name.They're NOT playing in NY - they're not playing for a New York team. Basically it boils down to marketing. If New Jersey properly marketed itself, then they wouldn't need the NY name on the uniforms for people to know about New Jersey.

That's great that you actually had the opportunity to have that conversation with Mr. Tisch. I'm not surprised at his response. That has been the Giants position for quite a while now. Yet I have been under the impression that the organization did toy with the idea of a name change at one time. But after they made the firm decision to stick with the New York name, they didn't have to add insult to injury by reverting back to the old "ny" helmet logo -- especially after they had already been playing in New Jersey for something like 24 years!
    What is also very disturbing is the "friendly betting" that goes on with US Congressmen and state politicians when the teams are in the Super Bowl. NJ was shut out of the "friendly betting" and which is a form of marketing for the state. The opposing team's state representatives made bets with NY, and when the NJ politicians complained that they were NJ teams, they basically said tough luck.

If anything positive came out of your brief conversation with Mr. Tisch, at least he is now aware that there are still some hurt feelings over the Giants not properly acknolwedging the state in which they play.
    He's aware of it, he just doesn't care. You know the sad thing is - he was a former New Jerseyan. He's families busines, Loews Hotels got it's start IN New Jersey. He went over how proud he was and all that. I jsut guess he wasn't proud enough of NJ to have the Giants take it's name. But then again - I was very disturbed by even fellow tourist advocates who just don't see a problem with it at all. They wonder why so many people don't know the real NJ - and this is a prime reasons. We let others define us. The Giants and Jets and now the turncoat Red Bulls, define us to the world as being part of NY.

New Jersey Proud!

New Jerseyan

I was also surprised at how mny people in the NJ tourism industry don't see NJ teams having NY in their logo or nam as being an image problem for NJ. It's the same thing - they're answer is - "well we get the money". When I did mention that we spend OUR money on them and NY gives them nothing - several people responded thatI had a point. I think to make a case for this, we have to stress the NJ tax dollars going to support a multi-million dollar sports team and NY doesn't support them at all, but yet gets all the recognition. ... Also, someone mentioned to me today that the northeastern part of the state looks at themselves as being more NY than NJ. I'm really quite fed up with these NJ sports teams carrying NY on their uniforms and our politicians just handing the state over to them.

I was very disturbed by even fellow tourist advocates who just don't see a problem with it at all. They wonder why so many people don't know the real NJ - and this is a prime reasons. We let others define us. The Giants and Jets and now the turncoat Red Bulls, define us to the world as being part of NY.
    I am with you. How can those people in the NJ tourism industry not understand the problem?

I don't get it at all.

I know that this whole issue -- in the eyes of our state reps and, I suppose, our tourist advocates -- boils down to money. But there is other money out there that could be made, and that money is being lost.

Doesn't having New York-named teams playing in New Jersey have a negative effect on the New Jersey-named teams?

I think having NY teams in New Jersey dilutes the potential popularity of NJ teams.

And one would think that we would ALL want NJ teams to be popular. Or, at least, our state reps should want that. And tourist advocates too.

NJ teams are traveling the country, spreading the state name. That's gotta somehow help New Jersey financially, I would imagine. But not if we're diluting their effectiveness.
    Last edited by A-Line; 04-10-2006 at 11:46 PM.

So - now that the deal is done, Corzine has regrets.

Corzine airs discontent on Meadowlands deal
    BY JEFF WHELAN STAR-LEDGER STAFF

Less than five weeks after he announced an agreement to build a new $1 billion open-air stadium for the Jets and Giants at the Meadowlands, Gov. Jon Corzine said yesterday he is unhappy with the deal.

‘‘I wanted a roof on that stadium, and I wanted the owners to pay for it,’’ Corzine said yesterday. ‘‘We could have had Super Bowls and national political conventions, (NCAA) Final Fours, technology expositions, car shows. It seems to me that we have lost an opportunity.’’

Corzine made his remarks in response to a question at the annual meeting of the Associated Press Managing Editors Association and suggested his administration did the best it could to improve a deal brokered largely by former Gov. Richard Codey.

‘‘You’re dealt a hand. We improved the transaction, and I think it is important that we kept both teams here. I think financially it will work out for the state reasonably well,’’ he said.

Corzine’s remarks angered Codey (D-Essex), who is state Senate president. Codey said he would have liked a roof, too, but the teams would only go along with that if it was paid for with public funds, a deal breaker for him.

‘‘Now is no time to debate history. It’s time to move forward and build the stadium,’’ Codey said. ‘‘As far as how good a deal it is for the taxpayers, it was the best deal for the taxpayers in NFL history. That’s all I need to say.’’

Corzine needs Codey’s support to move his budget and other aspects of his agenda through the state Legislature. Corzine administration officials had previously pointed to the Giants stadium deal as evidence that they were working cooperatively with Codey.

Joseph Marbach, chairman of the political science department at Seton Hall University, said the remark was a reflection of Corzine’s ‘‘political naiveté’’ because it would serve only to unnecessarily annoy Codey on an issue that’s been settled.

‘‘It’s a case of the governor being brutally honest when it may have been more politically astute to bite one’s tongue,’’ Marbach said. ‘‘I don’t see what the governor gains from it. It’s water under the bridge.’’

Corzine also said municipal leaders in East Rutherford have been ‘‘legitimately frustrated that their interests haven’t always been preserved’’ in negotiations. He said he has ‘‘every intention’’ of working with them to make sure their tax interests are ‘‘appropriately dealt with’’ as the deal is executed.

Corzine, Codey and team owners announced the deal in late March. The teams expect to break ground next spring and to begin playing in the yet-to-be-named facility in 2010.
    This is also just more evidence that Codey wanted the Giants and Jets here at any cost. Who cares that they don't have NJ on their uniforms, not to mention still being allowed to have NY on their uniforms. We don't have politicians who work for us, we have politicians who work for their own enjoyment. What it boils down to is that Codey wanted easy access to the games - and therefore wanted the teams in NJ.

BTW - I don't see why he cares too much about the none football events that woudl take place at the stadium - Codey gave all that money away to the Giants in the deal. Any ticket sales from events that take place in the stadium, whether it's a bruce Springsteen Concert or the World Championship Soccer game, the Giants get - at least according the the deal before the Jets came back into the picture.

New Jersey Proud!

Recent Resident

I voted NY Giants. I'm a Jersey guy. But this is about money and marketing. I can't fault them for this. New York is the greatest city in the world. I'm sure we all can agree about that. Associating NY with a franchise is a gold mine.

As long as Jersey benefits from this deal and we the taxpayers don't get screwed, then I don't see the problem. We as a state should do lots of business from the games and all the fans moving in and out of Jersey from NY. Plus we can use the place for other non-football events.

Quote Originally Posted by MABL
    I voted NY Giants. I'm a Jersey guy. But this is about money and marketing. I can't fault them for this. New York is the greatest city in the world. I'm sure we all can agree about that. Associating NY with a franchise is a gold mine.

As long as Jersey benefits from this deal and we the taxpayers don't get screwed, then I don't see the problem. We as a state should do lots of business from the games and all the fans moving in and out of Jersey from NY. Plus we can use the place for other non-football events.
    The citizens of this state are gettign screwed. Do you go around calling yoruself trump because it's better to market yourself? They are NJ teams who would rather be in NY. The same peopel who support the Giants and Jets now, would support them if they had NJ on their uniform. For 30 years they went WITHOUT NY - so tell me, how many new fans did they pick up becuase they put on that ridiculous NY back on?

Wonderful Corzein even just gave away the entire naming rights to the Giants. The Meadowlands will no longer be the "The Meadowlands". I wonder - maybe NY can buy it out, then even more people will just think New Jersey is part of NY.

I root against the Giants and the Jets both. When they play in the super bowl, NJ gets NO advertising from it - NY does. One of the main reasons for having a sports team is for the noteriety. Believe me, with all the tax breaks and give aways this state does for the teams, NJ does NOT get that much.

New Jersey Proud!

Recent Resident

The citizens of this state are gettign screwed. Do you go around calling yoruself trump because it's better to market yourself? They are NJ teams who would rather be in NY. The same peopel who support the Giants and Jets now, would support them if they had NJ on their uniform. For 30 years they went WITHOUT NY - so tell me, how many new fans did they pick up becuase they put on that ridiculous NY back on?

I root against the Giants and the Jets both. When they play in the super bowl, NJ gets NO advertising from it - NY does. One of the main reasons for having a sports team is for the noteriety. Believe me, with all the tax breaks and give aways this state does for the teams, NJ does NOT get that much.
    I don't think the lack of NY on the uniform deterred fans either way. Nobody cares about NY or NJ on the uniform, I agree. Although we'll never see them put NJ on the uniforms.

But I think it's also about merchandising. I think something that says NY on it will sell a lot, as well as all over the world.

As for Jersey not getting much adverstising, I agree. But whenever a game is played at Giants Stadium, it's in East Rutherford, New Jersey. NFL fans all around the world know this. It's not much, but something.

Quote Originally Posted by MABL
    I don't think the lack of NY on the uniform deterred fans either way. Nobody cares about NY or NJ on the uniform, I agree. Although we'll never see them put NJ on the uniforms.

But I think it's also about merchandising. I think something that says NY on it will sell a lot, as well as all over the world.
    I have news for you. I really don't care how much the greedy sports teams get by putting NY on their uniforms. We don't get anything from them, yet we just purchased the Jets land so they can build a practice facility. They state just gave up millions and millions of dollars in ticket sales to the Giants. The sold out Bruce Springstee concerts, Ringling Brothers and Barnum and Bailey Circus tickets,etc that we used to get money from - GONE! All now going to go to the wonderful ungrateful "NY" Giants because Codey is a sports fan and wanted to keep the teams in the state at all cost. If NJ put it's foot down and told them they had to use NJ - where do you think they would go? Do you honestly think that they would go back to Yankee and Shea Stadium where they came from? NY already rejected the stadium deal. They had nowhere to go. NJ got screwed and continues to get screwed with these wannabe NY teams.
    As for Jersey not getting much adverstising, I agree. But whenever a game is played at Giants Stadium, it's in East Rutherford, New Jersey. NFL fans all around the world know this. It's not much, but something.
    They do? Actually that is not true. I have traveled all over the country and everyone always thinks that the Giants and Jets play in NY - NOT East Rutherford NJ. They are amazed when I explain to them that they don't. Many people also have told me that thought that NJ is PART OF NY.

BTW - NJ is losing it's identity to NY and OUR politicians, the people who are SUPPOSED to be representing New JERSEY, are letting it happen.

New Jersey Proud!

Recent Resident

I have news for you. I really don't care how much the greedy sports teams get by putting NY on their uniforms. We don't get anything from them, yet we just purchased the Jets land so they can build a practice facility. They state just gave up millions and millions of dollars in ticket sales to the Giants. The sold out Bruce Springstee concerts, Ringling Brothers and Barnum and Bailey Circus tickets,etc that we used to get money from - GONE! All now going to go to the wonderful ungrateful "NY" Giants because Codey is a sports fan and wanted to keep the teams in the state at all cost. If NJ put it's foot down and told them they had to use NJ - where do you think they would go? Do you honestly think that they would go back to Yankee and Shea Stadium where they came from? NY already rejected the stadium deal. They had nowhere to go. NJ got screwed and continues to get screwed with these wannabe NY teams.
    Holy crap. Then I guess the fault lies with Codey for getting us all hosed on that deal. That's unbelievable. So the Giants/Jets are now sole owners of the stadium ? Do we get anything for them being here ? I can see where you're coming from now.

They do? Actually that is not true. I have traveled all over the country and everyone always thinks that the Giants and Jets play in NY - NOT East Rutherford NJ. They are amazed when I explain to them that they don't. Many people also have told me that thought that NJ is PART OF NY.
    LOL That's unbelievable. Part of NY ? I guess I overestimated the common NFL fan. Actually, I shouldn't be surprised. LOL