View Poll Results: What should the name of the Giants be...

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • New Jersey Giants

10 76.92%
  • Giants

1 7.69%
  • New York Giants

2 15.38%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Giants new Stadium

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Default Giants new Stadium

Giants owners, state announce new stadium to be built in the Meadowlands

(04/14/05) EAST RUTHERFORD - The New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority and the Giants owners announced Thursday a new 80,000-seat stadium will be built in the Meadowlands.

The new $750 million stadium will be built next to the old one. Acting Governor Dick Codey (D-NJ) says the privately financed stadium will be part of the Xanadu entertainment complex at the Meadowlands. Codey emphasized the stadium will be paid for by the NFL team and not by New Jersey taxpayers.

The new open-air stadium will include practice and training facilities for the team, retail shops, restaurants and a Giants Hall of Fame for fans. Giants owners hope construction will be completed by 2008.
    So - we've given the okay for the Giants to build a new stadium IN New JERSEY. Hmm - funny - their helmets, uniforms and logo say NY on them. I wonder - shouldn't they be called the New JERSEY Giants. What team in NY calls themselves NJ? Why should OUR teams play with someone elses initials on their uniforms.

As for that so called free tax dollars - the state is going to spend $30 million in improved infastructure to support the stadium - while only making $5 million a year in lease payments. That means that it will take about 6 years to pay for the infastructure improvements. By that time I'm sure they'll kick NJ where it hurts and run back to NY while our dumb politicians sit and let them walk all over us.

They should either be called the New Jersey Giants or they should go back across the River and play in Yankee Stadium again. One of the key reasons for having sports teams is for the media attention and advertising purposes. By the Giants having NY - New York gets all the publicity and continues to be able to make snide remarks while they come to OUR stadiums to watch OUR teams.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

JD,

You are correct that the Giants (and any team playing in NJ) should be refered to as the NJ Giants.

I also think that all sports teams should build their own stadiums with no public money.

Could it be possible that Acting governor Cody has an interest to work for The New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority after his time as Governor?

As an aside, I heard that the new stadium will not be able to accommodate FIFA soccer events or other large field events since the stadium is being built primarily for football.
    Sincerely,
    Anthony

NJ & You, Perfect Together

That's ridiculous - we need a stadium that handles multiple events. I have written him a letter concerning my feelings which I am mailing out tomorrow -

Acting Governor Dick Codey
    PO Box 001
    Trenton NJ 08625

Dear Acting Governor Codey,

I see the deal with the Giants went through today. I suppose I should say New YORK Giants, since that’s what they have on their uniforms. Knowing how our politicians rollover to NY, I’m sure that they will continue to have NY on their uniforms.

It’s no wonder we don’t’ get any respect, since we don’t show any respect for ourselves. I would have rather have seen the Giants and Jets both move out of the state than have to hear the snide comments coming out of NY. Oh they’ll continue to ridicule us, Clinton will say again, when she is corrected about where the Giants and Jets play, that she has always thought of New Jersey as part of NY. I will continue to have to pull out a map to show people that the Giants and Jets play in New Jersey, not NY. I will have to even go so far to actually educate people that – no, New Jersey is NOT part of NY, but actually a different state. People seem to be confused with the status of New Jersey when there are TWO NJ teams which carry the NY logo and New Jersey does nothing about it. The Nets are moving to NY, do you think they’ll keep NJ in their logo and still be considered a New JERSEY team? That’s a rhetorical question of course.

One of the main reasons for a state or city to host professional sports is for the prestige and for the advertising it generates every time the team is announced and especially when they win. So if the Giants go to the Super Bowl, which they have done more than three times since they’ve been in New Jersey, who will get the prestige and acknowledgement? New York of course, because that is what is on their uniforms, that is whose team everyone thinks the Giants are.

It’s either funny, or it’s very sad, little Anaheim stood up to the Anaheim Angels last year when that team wanted to change their name back to the Los Angeles Angels. Anaheim told them “no, you play here, this is what you will be called, or else you can go back and play in Los Angeles.” I suppose the problem is that NJ has had the “Kick Me” sign on it’s back for so long that it’s a little bit difficult for New Jersey to stick up for itself.

I wonder, will the Giants, I mean – New York Giants, be making their stadium announcements in New York, like they did with the Super Bowl announcements? Or will they be making them in the home state they seem to be too ashamed of publicly acknowledging, but have no problem playing in?

I must say, the irony of the announcement with New JERSEY was not lost since the banners in the background were all saying in LARGE letters – NY. Proud indeed of NJ. It would have been a very nice gesture of how much the Giants actually enjoy playing here if they had unveiled a new Logo that says NJ Giants. But I guess just like having NJ politicians who fight for New Jersey, that’s a pipe dream.

Sincerely –

Robert Rosetta, President
    AboutNewJersey.com
    I also intend to send a similar letter or the same one to the Giants and to the various newspapers.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

New Jersey Proud!

I see someone chose NY as the name - but obviously were too chicken to openly announce it.

New Jersey Proud!

Well the November issue of New Jersey Monthly has an interesting article concerning the Giants Stadium deal. After reading the article I feel even more that NJ got screwed and the Giants should have been sent packing. They are arrogant and care nothing about being in NJ at all. They do not consider themselves a NJ team - they consider themselves a New York team who happens to play in NJ. As the last part of the article quotes th Giants as saying... "We're the New York Giants Franchise. That's our name, and it has been for a long time." Well sorry - it doesn't matter. There have been MANY teams who have been called one thing and then moved and got a new name.

Another thing I found interesting is that when the Giants first moved to NJ - the networks WERE listing the Giants as the New JERSEY Giants - but the Giants "prodded the NFL to make the networks use NY"

The article says that NJ gave up $20 million dollars a year in concessions for this wonderful deal - all because our ACTING governor is a sports fan and wanted to keep the Giants in the state at all costs. There is even a ridiculous quote in the article stating that the lease payments will make up for the $124 million in debt relief on the prior stadium. Let's see $124 million divided by 6 million a year in lease payments equals - 21 years to pay it off. Thank you Codey for a complete give away to the Giants and Jets while they continue to even prance around in OUR state wearing their NY UNIFORMS!

Seems as if George Zoffinger was the only one with the guts to stand up and bring reason - but because of this - he was shut out of the negotiations. Backroom deals again and NJ pays the price. I hope the Giants never win a Super Bowl again as long as they are wearing NY on their uniforms - that goes for the Jets too. Everyone can call this the JerseyDevil Curse!

New Jersey Proud!

Side post - but I felt it sort of fit.

Anyway - I like this person...

The Final Four is in New Jersey, not New York!
    New Jersey native finds the widespread snub of his wonderful home state very offensive

By Robert Duffy
    Arts Editor

So, you're going to the Final Four in your never-ending self-imposed slavery to the institution of college basketball.

Before you go, it's best for you to do your homework on the state, city and area that you are about to make your temporary sporting home.

I know you're thinking, "Hey, the Meadowlands is fifteen minutes from New York City, let's spend our free time there."

Well, that may be your fatal mistake.

Sure, New York is one of the greatest cities in the world, but the Meadowlands Arena (newly renamed to the Continental Airlines Arena) is in New Jersey, not New York.

Why not show support for the state that has brought such greats as Thomas Edison, Albert Einstein, Jon Bon Jovi and The Toxic Avenger?

The Garden State always seems to get the shaft when big things happen there.

Let's take, for example, some of the World Cup games in 1994 were also held at the Meadowlands, yet whenever it was mentioned on television it was called the "New York/New Jersey" World Cup. New York had nothing to do with it!

And while I'm on the subject of New Jersey shafting, let's talk a little about the New York Giants and the New York Jets.

Ask me where Giants Stadium is. Go on, ask me.

New Jersey, that's where Giants Stadium is. The Nets and the Devils don't have any problem with this.

My point is this: don't be a part of this underground anti-New Jersey movement that is going on in the world. When you go to cheer on your favorite hoops team, support the state that you're in. It'll make you feel that much better.

When engaging conversation with the locals, you might want to have some Jersey facts and trivia stored in your mind so that you can have some great, intellectual conversations.

For example, you'll razzle and dazzle the natives when you casually let them know you know that the Meadowlands area was created over 17,000 years ago through the natural process of volcanic and glacial activity.

And then when you go one step further to tell them that following the retreat of the last glacier of the Wisconsin Age, the sea level rose, flooding the Meadowlands, and the Atlantic white cedar became the prevailing habitat.

If they're still not impressed, casually say, "Hey pal, I heard that the Hackensack Meadowlands District is now home to more than 265 different species of birds and that Shellfish and Finfish have returned in abundance."

After that, it'll be like feeding candy to a baby.

Oh, and one other tip -- people from New Jersey don't laugh when people come up and say to them, "Oh, you're from Jersey? What exit? Ha ha ha!"

But I digress.

The Final Four has been dubbed by many as the sports event to end all sports events.

It has more energy and action than any silly Super Bowl or long-winded World Series has to offer.

East Rutherford (the home of the Continental Airlines Arena and the Meadowlands) Mayor James L. Cassella recently said that the hype for the Final Four has already begun.

Scalpers are out selling tickets for the games past the $2000 mark, billboards are plastered over the highway and the NCAA is on the lookout for people violating the "Final Four" copyright.

Cassella had the opportunity to see a Final Four in 1981 when Indiana won it all. He said it was something definitely worth going to.

"If anybody has an opportunity to go, they should," Cassella said. "It's the most exciting athletic event you can possibly be in ... Especially that this is a big part of Kentucky's life. It;'s big and exciting and I love it."

So forget your grades, your future in the university, your life -- when it comes to basketball, I think the choice of whether or not you should be heading to New Jersey has already been made for you.

Arts Editor Robert Duffy is a journalism freshman -- and a New Jersey native.

New Jersey Proud!

If I was the one who voted for NY, I would say so just to twit you. But I didn't, because that's just dumb.
    I see a couple typos in your letter, but you already sent it so meh.

That article you posted is funny.

edited for typo. to not too!

Quote Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
    If I was the one who voted for NY, I would say so too just to twit you. But I didn't, because that's just dumb.
    I see a couple typos in your letter, but you already sent it so meh.

That article you posted is funny.
    It sure did take you a long time to post this. I thought you were writing a book. I noticed the mistypes, but I seem to always notice them after I send the letter.

New Jersey Proud!

Lol! Well, I sort of am writing a book, actually.

It is really hard to edit your own stuff. Next time I'll proofread it for you. Maybe if I ever write a letter to the editor or something you can proofread mine. (I almost did, but I didn't know enough about the complex topic in question, the BC Mountain Pine Beetle epidemic, to do it justice).

At the games, show up with a sign that says "Go New Jersey Giants"!

Edit: The NFL team can afford to pay for a whole stadium? Wow.
    Last edited by Nurvingiel; 11-20-2005 at 05:20 PM.

With any luck, the JerseyDevil curse will rear it's head against the Giants tomorrow and they will lose.

New Jersey Proud!

You know, it's sad that the disloyal actions of the Giants' management has caused New Jerseyan fans to stop cheering for them.

I wonder what they imagined would happen? That New Yorkers would cheer for them? As if they don't know where the Giants really play. You're not fooling anyone Giants' management, fix yer name!

I would be pissed if the BC Lions started calling themselves the Alberta Lions. The very idea is ridiculous. I would definitely start cheering for the Saskatchewan Roughriders (and not just because their logo is a skull and crossbones ). (I wouldn't cheer for the Calgary Stampeders either because I would regard them as team stealers even though none of this would be their fault.)

I feel your pain JD, even though that has not happened to me (outside of my head).

Default The Jersey Devil curse strikes the Giants!!!

Well - the Jersey Devil curse has struck the Giants. People told me there was no way the Giants were going to lose against the Panthers. Well the results are in...
    Giants wiped out - 23 - 0

Suggestion to the Giants: instead of paying lip service at how happy you are to call NJ home, why not actually show it by changing your name to the New JERSEY Giants.

New Jersey Proud!

... and as a result, you won't stink like week-old football socks.

Hee. I love that your prediction came true. The Jersey Devil never fails!

Get this little thng in the Star ledger - very interesting.

NFL teams and state agree on stadium
    BY MATTHEW FUTTERMAN STAR-LEDGER STAFF

There will be a new football stadium in the Meadowlands after all.

Gov. Jon Corzine, the Jets and the Giants officially announced a deal yesterday to develop a $1 billion open-air stadium at the sports complex.

After negotiating the stadium project with five governors during the past six years, the teams expect to break ground next spring and to begin playing in the yet-tobe-named facility in 2010.

‘‘We are very excited the Jets and the Giants will have the opportunity to make history when this stadium opens as one of the premier facilities in the National Football League,’’ said Giants co-owner Steve Tisch.

Gary Rose, Corzine’s chief economic adviser, said he finalized a deal originally brokered by former Gov. Richard Codey during the past three weeks, but he could never get the teams to budge on Corzine’s wish to put a $200 million roof on the stadium.

‘‘It was clear that with the roof there was an incremental cost that was going to have to be picked up,’’ Rose said.

Under the deal, the teams will pay $5 million per year in rent and $1.3 million per year in taxes for 75 acres, where they will build a stadium, a Giants training complex and a commercial development with stores and restaurants. The tax payment will increase when the commercial portion of the development is actually built.

The state no longer has to contribute $30 million to move utility lines and roads, but it also will no longer get a share of the naming rights to the stadium.

Under the previous deal, the state would have received one third of any naming rights deal where the net proceeds were above $24 million. Also, the teams now have the rights to sell the naming rights to the entire sports complex, not just the stadium.

The deal came as relief to both Codey and the teams, who worried during the past month that Corzine might scuttle it.

‘‘It is time to put the shovels in the ground and make this project,’’ Codey said.
    So I guess the Meadowlands Sports Complex is no longer going to exist. I am just fed up PERIOD with our politicians just selling out to these ungratefule NY wannabe teams. The money that we give them, the little in return. Wow - we don't have to pay the $30 million in infastructure improvemetns, but as you can see on the Jets thread - we're paying $20 million to buy them their practice facility. I must be living in the Twilight Zone here. Do we have ANY politicians who will stand up for NJ and our NAME?

New Jersey Proud!

New Jerseyan

Default Petition, Petition, Petition

I read a similar article in The Record on Saturday, April 1, and that exact same bit of information jumped out and caught my eye.

The Record article did say that the Meadowlands Racetrack and Continental Arena, if it remains open, would "likely" retain their current names. That doesn't exactly sound like something I would bank on!

So now it is possible for a company to purchase the naming rights to the Meadowlands Sports Complex and rename it something New York-related. That would not surprise me at all. I have not seen anything written anywhere that says that they could not do it!

In essence, they just sold the Meadowlands to New York!

OUR STATE REPRESENTATIVES ARE NOT LOOKING OUT FOR NEW JERSEYANS BEST INTERESTS -- particularly when it comes to making deals with any professional sports teams.

The only way Trenton is going to listen to the people is if we start making noise.

It is time to start a petition. New Jerseyans want the Meadowlands back!
    Last edited by A-Line; 04-03-2006 at 11:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by A-Line
    It is time to start a petition. New Jerseyans want the Meadowlands back!
    Write up the petition. We can put it on PetitionOnline.com, but I am also developing my own petition application.

New Jersey Proud!

New Jerseyan

You are developing your own petition application? What does that mean?

I am not familiar with the process.

Quote Originally Posted by A-Line
    You are developing your own petition application? What does that mean?

I am not familiar with the process.
    Sorry, I'll explain better. I'm developing my own program which will allow people to sign an electronic petition online because there are serious shortcomings to PetitionOnline. The Princeton Battlefield Society was using that for our Princeton Battlefield petition, but now I am developing our own application to use so we have better control over it. PetitionOnline doesn't really include a nice way of just printing out the petition for instance.

This is off topic - but I coded the interactive items on the site, such as the e-cards application, the lodging and restaurant guide, the event guide, etc. I was a computer consultant in my previous life, before getting sucked into New Jersey tourism.

New Jersey Proud!

New Jerseyan

Default petition

I agree we must take back our state not only from n.y. teams but also from N.J. politicians who have NO N.J. pride and DO NOT represent us . I was on NJ.com and someone on that site said its time for a petition . I posted for him to come here . LETS GET IT ON !
    NEW JERSEY HISTORY SECOND TO NONE !

Quote Originally Posted by NJPRIDE
    I agree we must take back our state not only from n.y. teams but also from N.J. politicians who have NO N.J. pride and DO NOT represent us . I was on NJ.com and someone on that site said its time for a petition . I posted for him to come here . LETS GET IT ON !
    I agree 120% I hope that some others will come also. The Star Ledger and other papers don't even cover anything about all this really. I'l have an article, accept some letters, but then don't do any editorials or anything. I'm going to be gone to the Governor's Conference on Tourism from the 5th - 7th, but let's get something written up for a petition, at least key ideas, then we can put it together. I was going to suggest this, but I need some support too. we can do a website dedicated to this and "sell" merchandise. We would need some ideas for t-shirts though. I don't care about making money, but we can start off on CafePress or some other on-demand shop like that. They produce bumper stickers too. So what is everyone's thought on this? I can't devote a lot of time to this, I have so mcuh going on right now.

New Jersey Proud!