Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NJ team names

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
    I forget actually was that the 2002-2003 season? Or 2001-2002?
    It was 2003 because the Devils won the Stanley Cup that year.
    Which one was the one with Brett Hull's infamous goal with the um... team that he played for. I love hockey I do!

*runs off to the other thread*
    And you call yourself a Canadian. I think you spent too much time in Sweden, hockey is supposed to be the heart and soul of every Canadian and you just failed. Have you heard the knock at your door yet, I think the authorities are on their way to kick you of the country.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDevil
    It was 2003 because the Devils won the Stanley Cup that year.
    Well you, as a New Jerseyan, should know the name of the team the Devils beat the stuffing out of, so if you hear a knock at the door, that's the authorities coming to cart you off to New York!

Exclamation NHL Stanley cup Winniers

Duplicate post
    Last edited by MITHRANDIR; 12-04-2005 at 07:47 PM.
    Sincerely,
    Anthony

NJ & You, Perfect Together

Exclamation NHL Stanley cup Winniers

Well you, as a New Jerseyan, should know the name of the team the Devils beat the stuffing out of, so if you hear a knock at the door, that's the authorities coming to cart you off to New York!
    Stanley cup champions

New Jersey won in 1995,2000,2003 against Detroit, Dallas and Anaheim, repectively.

NJ lost in 2001 against the Avalanche of Quebec.
    Sincerely,
    Anthony

I forget actually was that the 2002-2003 season? Or 2001-2002? Which one was the one with Brett Hull's infamous goal with the um... team that he played for. I love hockey I do!

*runs off to the other thread*
    Now I remember, Hull was part of the Northstars of Irving TX. He was kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town. Then some Bison appeared with sabres in hand. 1999 IIRC. It was a traumatic experience.

How is this for Irony.

NJ Devils (& Nets) play futher east: (Geographically) yet the Giants and Jets who are futher within the boeders of NJ (by a few thousand feet) do not use NJ in their name.
    Sincerely,
    Anthony

I felt that the NJ MetroStars name change was large enough to warrant it's own thread - so you can find the posts dealing with this at New JERSEY MetroStars Renamed New YORK Redbulls
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

New Jersey Proud!

New Jerseyan

Default Sell the Meadowlands to New York: The Record

Great Op-Ed piece in today's (Aug. 21, 2006) edition of The Record. The article is primarily about the fiscal mess that is the Xanadu sports/entertainment complex at the Meadowlands in East Rutherford, N.J.

The writer, who happens to be The Record's editorial page editor, takes a nice jab at those "regular Jersey guys ... who think it is an honor to have the NY Giants and NY Jets play in New Jersey but keep the NY on their helmets."

Here is the full article:

The Record
    Monday, August 21, 2006
    Opinion
    Building a Pleasure Dome Is No Walk in the Park
    By Alfred P. Doblin

I'M A XANAPHOBE: one who dislikes all things Xanadu. The Coleridge poem "Kubla Khan" is overrated. Pleasure dome, thunder dome -- who cares? If Coleridge had been a Jersey guy the real question would have been: "Who pays, baby? Who pays?"

Then there was the roller skating flick, "Xanadu," with Olivia Newton-John and Gene Kelly. Poor Gene, the disco era was not kind to him. And now, the pleasure dome of New Jersey: Xanadu. It would be ironic if there was a planned roller rink, but there isn't. There may be an indoor ski slope, which could explain how so many supposedly smart people were snowed.

The developer of That's-Entertainment-in-the-Wetlands, Mills Corp., is in deep financial distress. To put it nicely, if Mills Corp. were a pipeline it would be passing gas all over the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge. Senate President Richard Codey wants to take Xanadu "off the respirator." Hopefully congressional Republicans are aware Xanadu is real estate and not a person, or Congress may well enact legislation preventing the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority from pulling the plug.

From the start, I've had a hard time understanding the need for Xanadu or for that matter any of the other proposed projects for the site. There is no mass transit in place. It would make more sense to have the rail line in place before constructing Xanadu or anything else in the Meadowlands.

That may happen now.

Where was the outcry?

Xanadu may not be completed. The situation remains in flux. There is a lot of money at stake and once again, there is a possibility Jersey taxpayers could end up feeling some of the pain. Was there a public outcry for an indoor ski slope? Are there not enough retail outlets in North Jersey?

For a state known for its regular guys, where are they when you need them? A regular guy would say for $2 billion dollars, give everyone in New Jersey a free ticket to Disney World, those folks know entertainment. The overriding fear about building Xanadu was that it would become another mall. It could -- an outdoor mall without walls or ceiling. Perhaps a giant flea market like the one held in the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, Calif., would bring shoppers from across the Hudson?

Those same Jersey regular guys also would give an earful to state officials who think it's such an honor to have the NY Giants and NY Jets play in New Jersey but keep the NY on their helmets. Perhaps the problem is that the Meadowlands is in New Jersey and not New York. If the Meadowlands were in New York, imagine the investors who would pump dollars into Xanadu. Half of Chelsea would think it was a shrine to Ms. Newton-John.

The obvious solution that neither Trenton nor Meadowland officials would suggest is to sell the Meadowlands to New York. New Jersey is out of money. We need something to sell, right?

Sell the Meadowlands to New York and then the Giants and the Jets wouldn't be lying through their helmets. Sell the Meadowlands and then the schnooks in Manhattan would have to pay for the debt on the old Giants Stadium set to be demolished. Sell the Meadowlands and New Yorkers pick up the tab on Xanadu if it goes belly up.

Governor Corzine even could consider imposing a transportation tax on all interstate travel across New Jersey into the Meadowlands complex. This could be the best cash cow since the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey.

Mania for development

Over the past decade, large portions of the Meadowlands have been reclaimed as wetlands. Much of the muck is gone. Just because there is developable land is not reason enough to develop, especially in a state as overdeveloped as New Jersey. But I'm just whistling "Dixie."

Xanadu may or may not be completed, but something will be built. That's life in New Jersey.

Maybe a mega-roller rink? Maybe a Gene Kelly shrine? Maybe a museum to Samuel Taylor Coleridge? The full title of "Kubla Khan" is: Kubla Khan or, a Vision in a Dream: A fragment."

We got the fragment part right.

Alfred P. Doblin is the editorial page editor of The Record. Reach him at doblin@northjersey.com.

http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?...FlZUVFeXkxNA==

A-Line - I realy love the article. It truly is time to get DropNY.com up and running. Of course that being said, I do disagree with selling the Meadowlands to NY. What I am for is kicking out the damn politicians who constantly sell New Jersey short and don't stand up for us. There is no reason why New JERSEY should be buying the land for the Jets practice stadium. There is no reason why New Jersey should be forgaving the $100+ million debt the Giants owe on the old stadium. There is no reason why at the same time the Red Bulls decide to carry NY on their uniforms- that New Jesey should be giving them $85 million for their stadium. What NJ needs for people to send a message to Trenton -
    STOP SELLING NEW JERSEY OUT TO NEW YORK!

There is NO REASON why New Jersey should accept crumbs from New York, there is no reason why we should allow THREE professional - or any professional teams to carry NY on their uniforms. (BTW - the Nets have dropped NJ from their name and prefer now to just be called "The Nets" by sports announcers and the media). New Jersey needs to find it's backbone and stand up for itself.

As for Xanadu, I will have more information about my thoughts on that "little project" (I do agree with their being redevelopment there, but I supported the other project). Our politicians were sold a bill of goods again - and New Jerseyans will again pay for their mistake. But I aslo feel that one of the main problems New Jersey has - is that not enough New Jerseyans really care what goes on in Trenton. People should be writing to their damn legislators - and stop voting for people who talk about what they did or think on NATIONAL issues! I want to hear what the hell they're going to do for New Jersey and I don't give a damn about New York! You don't hear Clinton or Bloomberg talking about spending funds to increase business in newark or Jersey City - do you? But you do hear a lot about "NY" and the "region" coming out of our politicians mouths. So why the hell do we have politicians worried about a damn Hudson tunnel which is going to develop business in NY, but do ZERO for the businesses of New Jersey's cities. (I know this is slightly off topic - but it's all related to the same problem- lack of New Jersey pride and self respect.)

New Jersey Proud!

BTW - I should post regarding one thing about the Xanadu project. The project is not taking up more undeveloped land. The land that Xanadu will occupy is currently parking lot space. If you want to ever see a concrete desert - then go to the Meadowlands Sports Complex (This does not appy to the huge protected wilderrness area which is really fanatastic). The Meadowlands Sports Complex is the most dismal "tourist" attaction I have ever seen. Something needs to be done with it. Basically the Meadowlands is a stadium, an arena and a race track in the middle of a sea of asphalt. It is depressing. There are no trees, there is nothing.

Also, the Mills Corp won the bid for Xanadu by agreeing to turn over it's property in the Meadowlands (the huge wetlands area, not the dismal concrete asphalt sports complex) to the Meadowlands Commission to become protected wilderness area.

Finally - for those who may be interested - our wonderful politicians gave the naming rights to the Meadowlands Sports Complex to the Giants - so the Giants will soon be selling that off. Does NJ get any of that money? No of course not! Our politicians just wanted to keep this ungrateful team in our state at all cost and sold us out! I hear NY has money to burn - wouldn't it be ironic if NY decided they were going to buy the naming rights and it was renamed the "NY Sports Complex"? I'm sure our useless and spineless, gutless politicians would just roll over and accept it . When they're called on the carpet about it - they would just say that "well everyone knows it's in NJ anyway". The problem is - more and more people think that NJ is actually part of New York. Not that our politicians would know - they're too busy trying to hide and cover-up their illegal actions, and pander to their special interest groups. For some reason - I thought New Jersey was supposed to be their "special interest" group! I thought they were actually supposed to be working for the betterment of New JERSEY! How stupid of me to think that though.

One final thing, I wonder if Alfred Doblin, of the Bergen Record, reads this forum. Many of the things mentioned in his editorial is what I have been saying for years. I have also recommended, sarcastically of course, why don't we just sell all of New Jersey to New York, that would solve our budget mess. If that ever did happen though - I would stage a rebellion though and storm Trenton. There would be TRUE freedom fighters in the streets of New Jersey!

New Jersey Proud!

I just wanted to say that News 12 NJ makes me sick with their coverage of the Jets and Giants. They were covering the Jets complete move to NJ - with their practice field in Florham park - that New JERSEY TAX MONEY bought and they didn's once mention the fact that the team wears "NY" on their uniform and refuses to acknowledge that they are a New JERSEY team. No - instead they go one about maybe NJ can bring them luck and bring the Super Bowl victory to NJ. Who the hell are they kidding? New Jersey isn't going to get any credit for having a team in the Super Bowl, just like the last time when the Giants were in the Super Bowl and NJ was shut out. The friendly betting between the US Congressmen was between NY and the opposing teams representatives, not New Jersey. When the hell will New Jerseyans wake up? As long as the Gaints and Jets carry NY on their uniforms and play in New JERSEY - I never want to see them in the Super Bowl - NEVER!

Let's root for teams who actually are proud to play in New Jersey!

Now that I got that out of my system I was just thinking about a new shirt for DropNY.com. What do people think of this - although I still have some work to do...
    This is NY.... (pic of NY)
    This is NJ.... (pic of NJ)
    This is the border of NJ and NY...(pic of the border highlighted)
    This is where the Giants, Jets and Red Bulls play... (meadowlands highlighted)
    Any questions???

Giants, Jets, Red Bulls - tell people where you play (need a better ending statement here)
    Any comments?

New Jersey Proud!

How about "What Side of the River are you on"

Ill call you tuesday
    DAVE GERING
    MANAGER JERSEY STORE EWR

New Jerseyan

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDevil
    I was just thinking about a new shirt for DropNY.com. What do people think of this - although I still have some work to do...

This is NY.... (pic of NY)
    This is NJ.... (pic of NJ)
    This is the border of NJ and NY...(pic of the border highlighted)
    This is where the Giants, Jets and Red Bulls play... (meadowlands highlighted)
    Any questions???

Giants, Jets, Red Bulls - tell people where you play (need a better ending statement here)

Any comments?
    Oooh, I like that T-shirt concept! Anything that points out in clear detail the hypocrisy perpetuated by those three NJ pro sports teams pretending that they play in NY -- is a GREAT idea.

I would proudly wear a T-shirt like that and plaster a bumper sticker where all New Jerseyans can see it!

News 12 New Jersey just had about how there are NY legislators in Albany who are sponsoring a bill which will force the so-called "NY" teams - aka Red Bulls, Giants and Jets form using NY in their name since they don't play there.

Should N.J. teams keep N.Y. names?

(04/30/07) EDISON - A proposed bill would change the name of some popular sports teams.

The Jets, Giants and Red Bulls all play in New Jersey, but the teams still consider themselves New York teams. Now, some New York lawmakers have introduced a bill that would stop those teams from using the Empire Stateís name.

Some fans agree with the bill and believe if a team plays in a state, that state should be used in the teamís name. However, opponents of the bill say that since most of the teams originally started in N.Y., they should keep their name even though they play in N.J. now.

Other sports fans say it doesnít matter what state is used in the teamís name.

All three professional teams the bill targets say they are not going to change names and will continue playing in New Jersey.

Meanwhile, the Jets and Giants are both getting a new stadium in the Meadowlands, while the Red Bulls are building a stadium in Harrison.
    Needless to say - I FULLY support this. Okay - you can all get up off the floor - yes you heard it correctly - I agree with a New Yorker on something.

I posted the following in response to their "Sound Off" question -

Of course they should carry the New Jersey name. They have been here for THIRTY years. The Giants have never won a Super Bowl outside of New Jersey. If the Giants, Jets and Red Bulls want to play here - they should have to have NJ in their name. I am currently working on a website - DropNY.com which fights for just this.

People who say that they started out as NY teams and therefore should keep NY in their name - I guess the BALTIMORE Colts won the Super Bowl this year. I guess you better tell Indianapolis that they have no right to have the Colts carry their name.

It's about time these teams show that they are TRULY proud to call New Jersey home - not just play it meaningless lip service.

As for the person who said that they noticed that during the devils games that broadcast station panned over MSG and Manhattan Skyline - that;s because the media is controlled by New Yorkers. It's called ADVERTISING. Whenever they show the Manhattan Skyline or the announcers say "New York Giants" or "New York Jets" that's advertising for New York.

I have traveled all over the country - and believe it or not - there are people who actually think that New Jersey is PART of New York. They don't even know New Jersey is a state.

A lot of this is the fault of our politicians. People argue that the Meadowlands is so close to NY - but then their argument falls apart when you ask why does Oakland have a baseball team that carries that cities name? Why does Anaheim have Anaheim Angels baseball team - which used to be called Los Angeles?

If they want to be called NY - they should move back across the river. I say don't let the door hit you on the way out!

For more on the discussion -
    NJ Team Names
    New JERSEY MetroStars renamed New YORK Red Bulls
    Giants New Stadium
    New Jersey Jets
    CNN gets the location of Giants Stadium WRONG!

As you can see there are many people outraged by the fact that we give millions to these teams, yet they have the nerve to not even acknowledge that they are New Jersey teams. ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!

I refuse to attend a Giants, Jets and now Red Bulls games. They don't think we're good enough for them to take New Jersey as their name, I don't think they're good enough for me to pay for their outrageous ticket prices.

New Jersey Proud!

New Jerseyan

Default Keep up with DropNY.com

Just wanted to let you know that I just bought a couple of DropNY.com T-shirts and a couple of bumper stickers.

Also, I was on www.nj.com/forums/devils and posted the link to your DropNY.com website and store as well as to this messageboard, and there were a few posters who expressed an interest in signing the petition.

Hopefully you can get that activated because people want to see something tangible, and it would be interesting to see how many people really have an interest in NJ sports!

I'm sure you're busy with other stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by A-Line View Post
    Just wanted to let you know that I just bought a couple of DropNY.com T-shirts and a couple of bumper stickers.

Also, I was on www.nj.com/forums/devils and posted the link to your DropNY.com website and store as well as to this messageboard, and there were a few posters who expressed an interest in signing the petition.

Hopefully you can get that activated because people want to see something tangible, and it would be interesting to see how many people really have an interest in NJ sports!

I'm sure you're busy with other stuff!
    A-Lin - Thank you VERY MUCH! I really appreciate the support. We should have letters that people can print out and mail also, in addition to the petition.

It's good to know that people are looking at the site, because I really haven't been concentrating any time on that site at all. I now see that I have to devote some time to it - so that you for the update.

Do you have any ideas for a letter? Would you be interested in helping out on the site at all? Just let me know. Thanks again for your support.

New Jersey Proud!

New Jerseyan

Default The DropNY.com site

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDevil View Post
    We should have letters that people can print out and mail also, in addition to the petition.

It's good to know that people are looking at the site, because I really haven't been concentrating any time on that site at all. I now see that I have to devote some time to it - so that you for the update.

Do you have any ideas for a letter? Would you be interested in helping out on the site at all? Just let me know. Thanks again for your support.
    While I have no experience in constructing or running a website, I'd be glad to help out in some way. Maybe on the DropNY.com website you could post a message -- in a box -- saying that you are looking for volunteers and/or ideas to help with the site.

I think that in addition to setting up a petition, one of the first things that needs to be done is there has to be a simpler way for visitors to post messages -- comments and suggestions -- so they could show their support or at least let you know they were there. Something to which they do not have to register.

I think this is of the utmost importance. Because to most young people, this whole Drop NY idea is a brand new idea that they likely will not take seriously at first. And to other people, people that remember when the Giants first moved to NJ, this is an issue whose time has come and passed -- they gave up on trying to change the team names a long time ago (just like our elected officials).

So we are basically starting from scratch.

That's why it is crucial for visitors to be able to easily post messages of support. The more messages of support that are posted there, the more of a chance that other people will be inspired to join the movement.

I also like the idea of providing a formatted letter (or letters) that would be easy for users to print out and mail. I could help you with that.

New Jerseyan

Default New Jersey Jets T-Shirts

Somebody is selling these New Jersey Jets T-Shirts on eBay. It is similar to the DropNY.com T's. I already bought one, for the heck of it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...E:B:SS:US:1123

If the link is no longer active, try searching for it under "New Jersey Jets T-shirts" or looking for it through the eBay seller's name: ferral3170quh.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by A-Line; 03-02-2009 at 09:33 AM.