Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NJ team names

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Default NJ team names

Why when teams play in NJ do we allow them to use NY in their name? You don't see any teams playing in NY calling themselves NJ. It's about time the state and it's residents stuck up for themselves. Metrostars have basically dropped that ridiculous "NY/NJ Metrostars" name and are now just referred to as Metrostars. If they build the Harrison Stadium - they should be named the New JERSEY Metrostars though.

As for the Giants and Jets - if they continue to play here - they should also drop the NY name. As long as they carry NY on their logo and refuse to acknowledge their home state - I will continue to root against them.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDevil
    Why when teams play in NJ do we allow them to use NY in their name? You don't see any teams playing in NY calling themselves NJ. It's about time the state and it's residents stuck up for themselves. Metrostars have basically dropped that ridiculous "NY/NJ Metrostars" name and are now just referred to as Metrostars. If they build the Harrison Stadium - they should be named the New JERSEY Metrostars though.

As for the Giants and Jets - if they continue to play here - they should also drop the NY name. As long as they carry NY on their logo and refuse to acknowledge their home state - I will continue to root against them.
    About the only thing that is acknowledged (during TV&Radio broadcasts) is that the Giants&Jets play at the Meadowlands in East Rutherford, NJ. Also IIRC there are two NJ logos on the football field, one at each 35 yrd line. Not much, but it is something.
    Sincerely,
    Anthony

NJ & You, Perfect Together

Quote Originally Posted by MITHRANDIR
    About the only thing that is acknowledged (during TV&Radio broadcasts) is that the Giants&Jets play at the Meadowlands in East Rutherford, NJ. Also IIRC there are two NJ logos on the football field, one at each 35 yrd line. Not much, but it is something.
    Well Codey is proposing building the Giants a new stadium and since it doesn't look like NY is going to build the West End Stadium - the Jets have come back to NJ to discuss it with them. Personally - I think that as a requirement for a new stadium - we should tell them they must change their name to NJ Giants and NJ Jets and that the Stadium will have a New Jersey related name.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

New Jersey Proud!

Default NEW JERSEY DEVILS NAME CHANGE????

THERE IS AN ARTICLE IN THE NY DAILY NEWS TODAY ABOUT A STATE ASSEMBLYMAN CRAIG STANLEY TAKING ISSUE WITH THE SATANIC NAME OF OUR HOCKEY TEAM. HE WANTS THE NAMED CHANGED. STANLEY STATES THAT THIS IS AN AGE WHERE SYMBOLISM IS VERY IMPORTANT. HE IS BRINGING UPA RESOLUTION TO CHANGE THE NAME IN THE ASSEMBLY NEXT MONTH. IF THE ASSEMBLYMAN KNEW HIS FACTS HE WOULD HAVE KNOWN THAT THE DEVILS WERE NAMED FOR THE JERSEY DEVIL OF FOLKLORE NOT THE SATANIC DEVIL. I THINK THAT AN ASSEMBLYMAN THAT HAS ENOUGH TIME TO FIGHT THIS CAUSE SHOULD BE GIVEN ENOUGH TIME TO DO WHAT HE WANTS BY VOTING HIM OUT OF OFFICE. JUST ONE MANS OPPINION.

Quote Originally Posted by davegering
    THERE IS AN ARTICLE IN THE NY DAILY NEWS TODAY ABOUT A STATE ASSEMBLYMAN CRAIG STANLEY TAKING ISSUE WITH THE SATANIC NAME OF OUR HOCKEY TEAM. HE WANTS THE NAMED CHANGED. STANLEY STATES THAT THIS IS AN AGE WHERE SYMBOLISM IS VERY IMPORTANT. HE IS BRINGING UPA RESOLUTION TO CHANGE THE NAME IN THE ASSEMBLY NEXT MONTH. IF THE ASSEMBLYMAN KNEW HIS FACTS HE WOULD HAVE KNOWN THAT THE DEVILS WERE NAMED FOR THE JERSEY DEVIL OF FOLKLORE NOT THE SATANIC DEVIL. I THINK THAT AN ASSEMBLYMAN THAT HAS ENOUGH TIME TO FIGHT THIS CAUSE SHOULD BE GIVEN ENOUGH TIME TO DO WHAT HE WANTS BY VOTING HIM OUT OF OFFICE. JUST ONE MANS OPPINION.
    No need to shout. I think we hear you loud and clear.

Personally I had some misgivings of the name chosen for the hockey team.
    I understand the history of the NJ Devil, but I still was not completely happy with that choice in name. That being said, I do think that NJ Devils is a good name choice for a team from NJ. Besides I really could not think of a better name that covers the entire state of NJ.

I think the assembyman is probably doing this for publicity and some political gain. I guess I should thank the assemblyman for getting hockey into the news.
    Sincerely,
    Anthony

I was just waiting for something like this to happen. I think it's completely ridiculous. I personally like the name "Jersey Devils", in case anyone can't tell. One problem with my screen name is that many people think I use this name because of the Hockey team - which is incorrect. Just like many ignorant people probably erroneously think that the Hockey team is named after the satanic character and not the New Jersey legend.

New Jersey Proud!

Well it makes way more sense for the Devils to be named after a local legend.

Local names are the best, that's why we have the Edmonton Oilers, the Ottawa Senators (which amuses me to no end, but hey, I love the Sens), the Vancouver Canucks (kind of a Canada-wide local name there) et al.

[edited to add: How could I forget the two biggies in local awesome names, the Toronto Maple Leafs and the Montréal Canadians! Then we have the former Québec Nordiques.]

I didn't know what exactly the Devils were named for for a long time, but I never thought they were named after the Christian devil. That would just be dumb. Possibly as bad as the Anaheim freaking Mighty Ducks. (However, at least that's a local legend [of sorts] too! )

Incidentally Giants, the Devils are the New Jersey Devils, and look how much they rock.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
    Well it makes way more sense for the Devils to be named after a local legend.

Local names are the best, that's why we have the Edmonton Oilers, the Ottawa Senators (which amuses me to no end, but hey, I love the Sens), the Vancouver Canucks (kind of a Canada-wide local name there) et al.

[edited to add: How could I forget the two biggies in local awesome names, the Toronto Maple Leafs and the Montréal Canadians! Then we have the former Québec Nordiques.]

I didn't know what exactly the Devils were named for for a long time, but I never thought they were named after the Christian devil. That would just be dumb. Possibly as bad as the Anaheim freaking Mighty Ducks. (However, at least that's a local legend [of sorts] too! )

Incidentally Giants, the Devils are the New Jersey Devils, and look how much they rock.
    IIRC, The NJ Devils used to be known as the Colorado Rockies and the Kansas City Scouts.

Re: Maple leafs --

"Trees" - Rush (a Canadian Band)
    There is unrest in the forest,
    There is trouble with the trees,
    For the maples want more sunlight
    And the oaks ignore their pleas.

What is a Nordiques? I assume that it is French for something.

The natural rivals of the Ottawa Senators? The Washington Capitals.

I think that the Harrison Metrostars would be cool, although I would settle for NJ Metrostars.
    Sincerely,
    Anthony

IIRC, The NJ Devils used to be known as the Colorado Rockies and the Kansas City Scouts.
    I knew they were the Colorado Rockies before moving to NJ, but Kansas City Scouts. Notice how the Devil didn't keep their name COLORADO after they moved - unlike some NJ NFL teams which will go unmentioned.

I think that the Harrison Metrostars would be cool, although I would settle for NJ Metrostars.
    I would prefer NJ MetroStars. At least they've dropped the ridiculous NY from their name. They used to be called and sometimes NY still calls them - the NY/NJ MetroStars. They could be called the "Newark MetroStars", but since they're not technically in Newark - I suppose I better not be a hypocrit. I just feel Harrison just doesn't have any national appeal. Not even people within NJ really know where Harrison is and it makes them sound like a local team, instead of a major league team.

New Jersey Proud!

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDevil
    I knew they were the Colorado Rockies before moving to NJ, but Kansas City Scouts. Notice how the Devil didn't keep their name COLORADO after they moved - unlike some NJ NFL teams which will go unmentioned.

I would prefer NJ MetroStars. At least they've dropped the ridiculous NY from their name. They used to be called and sometimes NY still calls them - the NY/NJ MetroStars. They could be called the "Newark MetroStars", but since they're not technically in Newark - I suppose I better not be a hypocrit. I just feel Harrison just doesn't have any national appeal. Not even people within NJ really know where Harrison is and it makes them sound like a local team, instead of a major league team.
    Good point about most people not knowing were Harrison is located. (I just thought that it would have been nice since the name reminds me of the former US president.) Then again there are some NFL teams that do not seem to know were New Jersey (or New York) is located.
    Sincerely,
    Anthony

Good point about most people not knowing were Harrison is located. (I just thought that it would have been nice since the name reminds me of the former US president.) Then again there are some NFL teams that do not seem to know were New Jersey (or New York) is located.
    I have no comment regarding the geographically challenged who live across the river. Statue of Liberty & Ellis Island, not to mention Newark Liberty International Airport ring any bells? Newark Liberty is often referred to as Newark NY by airlines and on ticket stubs and the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island are both in NJ waters. But I suppose that is a whole NOTHER thread.

New Jersey Proud!

Holy crap, even I know where Newark is. I can only name seven American state capitals (with certainty) and I still know where Newark is.

Mithrandir, I think the Nordiques either means "Northerners" or is a cool sounding French non-word.

Holy crap, even I know where Newark is. I can only name seven American state capitals (with certainty) and I still know where Newark is.
    Oh you only know where newark is becuase I've taught you well. On the OTHER HAND, please don't tell me that you think Newark is the capital of NJ. If you do I'll have to send you back a grade in the "JD School of New Jersey Knowledge". Actually - on second thought that might require being sent back TWO grades!

That reminds me when Jonathan and I were talking about state capitals, I completely turned his world upside down. He thought he knew all the state capitals until I told him that "No - NY is not the capital of NY State and Porland is NOT the capital of Oregon, etc" (Jonathan lives in Sweden for people who don't know and Nurv and I know him from another messageboard).

New Jersey Proud!

No, I know where Newark is because it has an international airport. I know Trenton is the capital of New Jersey because you taught me that.

I know NY's capital (Albany), but I actually thought Portland (at least I can spell it ) was Oregon's capital. So I know six American state capitals.

Did you know that half of Newark Airport is actually in Elizabeth?
    DAVE GERING
    MANAGER JERSEY STORE EWR

Quote Originally Posted by davegering
    Did you know that half of Newark Airport is actually in Elizabeth?
    Of course I did. But it would be a mouth full to call it the Newark-Elizabeth Liberty International Airport. I think the original 65 acres that the airport started on were located with Newark's border though. [edit: i didn't see you were talking to nurv It's been a long day.]

However, your comment brings up an interesting question, what about he lease agreement between Newark and NJ & NY Port Authority - did Elizabeth see any of the money? Or does Elizabethe have some deal with Newark? Or is the airport land 100% under the jurisdiction of Newark? Newark had just renegotiated the lease and is using much of that money for the Arena District where the Devils will have their new Arena.

Oh I just realized - this is off topic. I may split this off.

New Jersey Proud!

No, I know where Newark is because it has an international airport. I know Trenton is the capital of New Jersey because you taught me that.
    Well I'm glad my brainwas - I mean talking to you has taught you something about NJ.
    I know NY's capital (Albany), but I actually thought Portland (at least I can spell it ) was Oregon's capital. So I know six American state capitals.
    I know how to spell Portland too - that was just a mistype. I better know how to spell it since I lived there for about a year and half or so. BTW - the capital of Oregon is Salem, but it doesn't realy matter because Oregon isn't NJ.

Now if we want to continue talking about state captals- we better make a thread in the general discussion forum. This is your admin speaking.

New Jersey Proud!

Done and done. Go check out the new thread!

The goalie for the NJ Devils this year is the fabulously talented Canadian, Martin Brodeur. I think he's been with the Devils a while, but I didn't read that far into his block paragraph o'doom bio. (Other than that the Devils' official site is really nice.)

That's not 100% on topic, but getting there. I love hockey!

Done and done. Go check out the new thread!
    Already saw it and posted.
    The goalie for the NJ Devils this year is the fabulously talented Canadian, Martin Brodeur. I think he's been with the Devils a while, but I didn't read that far into his block paragraph o'doom bio. (Other than that the Devils' official site is really nice.)

That's not 100% on topic, but getting there. I love hockey!
    yes, Martin Brodeur has been with the Devils for a while and is one of the great players on the team. Not sure what Martin Brodeur has to do with NJ Team names though. I think there is a thread o the devils, if not there should be. YOu know on that othe rmessageboard, the one that will remain nameless, I constantly got everyone to root for the Devils and put on NJ Devil avatars while the devils were in the world Cup Championships. Those were the days. The devils beating the snot out of the Canadian team. What were there names again?

New Jersey Proud!

I forget actually was that the 2002-2003 season? Or 2001-2002? Which one was the one with Brett Hull's infamous goal with the um... team that he played for. I love hockey I do!

*runs off to the other thread*