Thread: Create your NJ TV Spot

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Default Create your NJ TV Spot

If you were in charge of creating the NJ advertisements for tv - what would you do?

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDevil
    If you were in charge of creating the NJ advertisements for tv - what would you do?
    I would create a 30 sec spot with a series of images of things to do and see in NJ. Each image should be about - of a second long. Long enough for most people to recognize the image and leave the people wanting more.

(some examples: Skiing, swiming, Boating, Cape May, Princeton, Battle of Monmouth, Liberty State Science center, Fireworks, Ballooning, hiking, Bicycling, Camping, Horseback riding, picking your own vegatables, Atlantic City, Fishing, Great Adventure, fine dining, horse racing, golf, theatre)

There are more items to include, but this should make for a good start.

During the comercial have some appropriate music playing (I can not think of anything in particular at the moment.) and have a narrator say something to the effect : With the variety of things to do in NJ there is something in NJ for every one.

I would also create two other commercial spots of 1 minute in length and 15 seconds in length.

Each commercial will include a web site promoting the state and a telephone number for people to call with any questions.
    Sincerely,
    Anthony

NJ & You, Perfect Together

Great Idea Anthony.

My only pet peeve with NJ TV spots is when they show the governors and their family at the end. WHO CARES?! Esepecially now, I dont want to see our Governor Elect Balding, or Current Governor Shrek with their shoes off running down the beach! That doesnt promote the state to me.

I think If i made a TV Spot, it would be snippets of interveiws with tourists and residents. (Such as JDevil,the greatest NJ advocate i know). Images similar to what they were talking aobut could flash throughout their brief description similar to "I love Winter in New Jersey, the snow on the beach, the skiing" While images appear. And even have a little celebrity power wouldn't hurt in the commercial. Maybe some Bruce Springsteen or Bon Jovi (Just to name a few..)

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Radiojoe315
    My only pet peeve with NJ TV spots is when they show the governors and their family at the end. WHO CARES?! Esepecially now, I dont want to see our Governor Elect Balding, or Current Governor Shrek with their shoes off running down the beach! That doesnt promote the state to me.
    Well supposedly there are NOT going to be anymore commercials with the damn governor in them. There has been complaints throughout the NJ tourism industry over this - especially after the McGreevey fiasco. After he put such a black stain on the state - the commercials which were running had to be pulled, because the only thing people would have associated NJ with was his gay affair.
    I think If i made a TV Spot, it would be snippets of interveiws with tourists and residents. (Such as JDevil,the greatest NJ advocate i know). Images similar to what they were talking aobut could flash throughout their brief description similar to "I love Winter in New Jersey, the snow on the beach, the skiing" While images appear. And even have a little celebrity power wouldn't hurt in the commercial. Maybe some Bruce Springsteen or Bon Jovi (Just to name a few..)
    Well first - thank you for your compliment. I work hard at fighting for NJ in all different ways - even when it goes against some of the stupid things the state does or doesn't do to promote NJ. Jersey Arts (the organisation made up of the various theaters, museums, etc throughout NJ) by the way does use celebrities. Famous New Jerseyans such as Bebe Neuwirth, Susan Sarandan, I think Danny Devito and Michael Douglas, have all appeared in their magazine ads. But I agree - NJ needs to utilize these same resources. The more I get into the politics of NJ and tourism department - the more I see how screwed up NJ is in that regard. Case in point is that RIDICULOUS slogan they came up with - "New Jersey: We'll Win You Over". The states first mistake was going to a damn NY image company for it. Their second and worst mistake was even thinking it was an even remotely acceptable slogan!
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

New Jersey Tour Guide

Smile tv spot

My tv spot would be showing pictures of New Jersey to viewers and explaining why it is called the garden state. Then I would show them some of the places to go and have fun and some history. I think once people know what New Jersey looks like they will want to go there. Marianita

New Jersey Tour Guide Jersey Warren's Avatar

Thumbs up These are all great ideas!

I haven't seen any New Jersey commercials, since I've been gone from the area for so many years. One thing I have noticed: Have you ever seen the tourism section in a magazine, where they have little ads or coupons for various states? You see ads for every backwater state in the nation: Kansas, Nebraska, West Virginia, etc. Yet, in all the years I have looked at these ad pages, I have NEVER seen an ad promoting New Jersey! The state tourism bureau must be asleep!

I like the idea of a commercial showing scenes around the state especially places most people have never seen. Show dairy farms in Sussex and Warren counties, the Pine Barrens, the little bays and inlets along the shore's barrier islands, the sea birds and dunes of Island Beach State Park, etc. Then some of our impressive historic cities and towns like Morristown and Princeton. Finally, some of the revitalized areas of our cities.

I just realized I refered to "our" cities though I have been gone since 1970. You can take the boy out of New Jersey ... but you can't take New Jersey out of the boy!
    Last edited by Jersey Warren; 05-01-2006 at 04:10 PM.

New Jersey Tour Guide

Default NJ commercials

Hi Jersey Warren, You are right. I am not sure why. There are some commercials in the New Jersey magazines I subscribe too, 3 of them but that is not the same thing. I got to thinking about this when I could not find a New Jersey radio station on my satelite radio in my new car. Maybe I just missed it? At any rate I agree with what you said. I am not originally from New Jersey but from Maryland but I for some reason have New Jersey in me, I love it so much. Marianita

I would go with specific places in New Jersey getting their own spots. Put together advertising campaigns for the Gateway Region, Skylands, et al. The Gateway Region would draw the best results most likely particularly since it has its own airport and so many attractions just between Newark and Jersey City alone.

New Jersey Tour Guide

Hi Jersey Warren, Actually I was not completely accurate. I have found that more people know of New Jersey then I thought. There are places like Wildwood which is famous and ofcourse Cape May. I was surprised that so many people at work have spoken of places they have gone to in NJ or knew someone who did. But I agree that more advertising would bring more people. They do not know what they are missing. Marianita