Thread: Giants losing

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Default Giants losing

Well it seems like the Giants got what they wished for by putting NY back on their uniforms - a losing team. They had never won a Super Bowl with NY on their uniforms and then 3 years ago they put NY back on their uniforms for nastalgia - seems like it worked.

I might suggest to them that they try NJ Giants instead - they'd probably have better luck than with NY.

I don't see why they would put NY on their jerseys anyway. People know they're from NJ, so they sure won't get any NJ fans that way. People from NY aren't going to like the Giants just because they have NY on their jerseys, so... I don't get it.
    I mean, I'm from Canada, I don't follow football, and I still knew the Giants were from New Jersey. (That was even before talking to you JD! ) (Except I do like sports a lot so I tend to absorb sports knowledge even if it isn't one I follow. But still.)

If I was a Giants fan or played for the Giants, I'd be all "New Jersey and proud! Woo!"

(What's the adjective for New Jersey? New Jerseyan? )

Quote Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
    I don't see why they would put NY on their jerseys anyway. People know they're from NJ, so they sure won't get any NJ fans that way. People from NY aren't going to like the Giants just because they have NY on their jerseys, so... I don't get it.
    They want the "status" of NY. Thy seem to think that NJ is beneath them, except when it comes to playing here and getting their new stadium. They have no love for NJ though and wuld much rather be in NY. I say - go to NY. Go play in the non-existant west side stadium.

I mean, I'm from Canada, I don't follow football, and I still knew the Giants were from New Jersey. (That was even before talking to you JD! ) (Except I do like sports a lot so I tend to absorb sports knowledge even if it isn't one I follow. But still.)
    Well that's surprising, because most americans consider them a NY tam, even though EVERYTHING associated with the Giants is in NJ and has nothing to do with NY. When the Giants were in the Super Bowl the last time, the congressmen from the other state didn't place the friendly bets with NJ congressmen, they went to the damn New York congreemen.
    If I was a Giants fan or played for the Giants, I'd be all "New Jersey and proud! Woo!"
    The Giants have sued New Jerseyans for making "New Jersey Giants" shirts. That's why I feel the Giants can go .... well you get the picture.
    (What's the adjective for New Jersey? New Jerseyan? )
    New Jerseyan. Some people use the ridculous term Jerseyite, but that is usually used in a condescending manner. Geico currently has a commercial saying "Jerseyite" and it's ridiculous - we're New JerseyANS.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

Well the Giants lost today. I would be jumping for joy more - but the Jets won damnit. As I stated before - I want NEITHER team to ever see the Super Bowl field as long as they are playing in New Jersey with NY on their uniforms.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

New Jersey Proud!

Well it's time to put the curse of the Jersey Devil back on the backstabbing Giants tonight. They're playing the Bears tonight and I hope the Bears teach them something about geography while whipping their asses.

Let's go Bears!!!! Or whoever is playing the turncoat Giants for that matter!

New Jersey Proud!

Isn't this funny - on the "History of the Giants" page - the Giants never mention ANYTHING about New Jersey - it's all about being a New YORK team. They don't even mention where they have been playing for over THIRTY Years - East Rutherford New JERSEY!!!

...If there ever were a time for the National Football League and the New York Giants to fold, it would have come during the years of World War II. The NFL decided to continue during the war despite losing players to military service. Many of the players that stayed behind were older players that were past their prime. Low attendance forced some teams to fold and other teams like the Philadelphia Eagles and the Pittsburgh Steelers to merge into one team. Fortunately, the New York Giants were able to survive the war years and managed to reach three NFL championship games during the 1940s.

The 1950s were filled with Giants players that would become household names and help bring football to a playing field equal to other spectator sports. With the growing interest in professional football, the Giants continued to make strides to attract the most talented players from the college level. By the time the decade was over, Kyle Rote, Eddie Price, Rosie Brown, Frank Gifford, Sam Huff and Tom Landry would send the Giants and professional football into a new era.
    The 1960s marked a decade of change for the Giants. Since they were founded in 1925, the Giants had been a talented team filled with success. The 1960s marked a turning point for our country as well as the Giants. After reaching the title games of 1961, 1962, and 1963 the Giants were hit with injuries and a series of retirements to key players that sent the team through a period of mediocrity.

The Giants in the 1970s could best be described as a team in transition. The team called four different stadiums home, played in three different states, and did not play in one postseason game. Teams like the Green Bay Packers, Chicago Bears, and Giants, so strong in the NFL's formative years, gave way to new powers like Dallas, Pittsburgh and Minnesota.

The Giants ended almost two decades of losing with one of their most prosperous decades in the 1980s. After finishing in last place or next-to-last eight times in the 1970s, the Giants appeared in three wild card games and won two NFC East division titles. Through the draft and key trades, the Giants slowly built a winning program. By 1986 the championship pieces fit together and the team was back on top with their first Super Bowl appearance and their first world championship since 1956.

The Giants were back on top of the NFL in 1990, winning their second Super Bowl in a dramatic 20-19 win over the Buffalo Bills. The next two years were filled with coaching changes, quarterback controversies, and a step back into the middle of the pack of the National Football League.

In February, 1991, less than a month after winning their second Super Bowl, it was announced that after 66 years of ownership by the Mara family, a 50% interest in the club had been sold to Preston Robert Tisch by Tim Mara. A native of New York City and a lifelong Giants fan, Tisch is one of the country's most successful businessmen.

Dan Reeves was hired as coach before the start of the 1993 season, and he helped bring the Giants back into Super Bowl contention. The Giants finished their first season under Reeves tied with the Detroit Lions for the best turnaround in football, going from 6-10 to 11-5. Reeves was named the NFL Coach of the Year by the Associated Press and others for his efforts.

On January 15, 1997, a new chapter in Giants history began when Jim Fassel was named the 15th head coach. In the first season under Fasselís leadership, the Giants captured the NFC East Championship with a 10-5-1 record. The Giants finished the 1997 season with a 7-0-1 Division record to become the first team ever to go undefeated in NFC East Division play. The Giants fell short of a playoff berth in 1998 after overcoming a 3-7 start to finish with an 8-8 record. The Giants were 7-9 in 1999.

In 2000, the Giants returned to the upper echelon of the NFL. They won the NFC East title and earned home field advantage throughout the playoffs with a 12-4 regular season record. The Giants then beat Philadelphia in the divisional playoffs and routed Minnesota, 41-0, in the NFC Championship Game to advance to the Super Bowl for the third time. But they failed to win the game for the first time, falling to the Baltimore Ravens.

The Giants slipped to 7-9 in 2001, losing their last two games to fall out of playoff contention. In 2002, the Giants won their final four regular season games, including an overtime thriller in the regular season finale against Philadelphia, to clinch a wild card playoff berth. In the third period of the postseason game in San Francisco, the Giants led the 49ers, 38-14. But San Francisco rallied for a 39-38 victory.

Because of their impressive stretch run, the Giants began the 2003 season with high hopes. At midseason, they were in the thick of the playoff race with a 4-4 record. But a second-half collapse against Atlanta set the tone for an eight-game, season-ending losing streak. With two games remaining, the Giants announced that Fassel would not return. On Jan. 6, 2004, Tom Coughlin, a highly-successful head coach at Boston College and with the Jacksonville Jaguars, and a former Giants assistant, was hired as the 16th head coach in Giants history.
    And people wonder why I hate the Giants!!! You know they only state they ever won a Super Bowl was New Jersey? Do YOu know that when they won - Mayor Koche refused to give them a ticker tape parade because he said they weren't a New York team, but a New Jersy team. He then proceeded to make snide comments about seeing New Jersey give them a parade. The thanks we got from the Giants - is a slap in the face. They continue to do this even as we forgave them over 100 million dollars in debt payments to the state. Our wonderful politicians (Codey) gave them this deal during negotiations for the new stadium which will be in New Jersey - but which New Jersey will get no publicity for!!!

New Jersey Proud!

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDevil
    The Giants in the 1970s could best be described as a team in transition. The team called four different stadiums home, played in three different states, and did not play in one postseason game. Teams like the Green Bay Packers, Chicago Bears, and Giants, so strong in the NFL's formative years, gave way to new powers like Dallas, Pittsburgh and Minnesota.
    The closest that they come to admitting that the Giants play in New Jersey.
    ================================================== =======
    The Giants can add something else to their history: Losing a 21-point lead (and eventually the game) with 10 minutes left in the game against a 3-8 team (Tennessee Titans).

This has to be one of the biggest regular season collapses by a team in the history of the NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by NFL.com
    http://www.nfl.com/teams/news/NYG
    Titanic collapse
    The Giants thought they had this one in the bag after jumping out early and holding on to a 21-0 lead at the end of the third quarter. What they didn't expect was for Titans rookie QB Vince Young to stage an improbable fourth-quarter rally that shocked the Giants 24-21 and send them to their third straight defeat. (Emphasis mine) New York (6-5) got on the scoreboard on Eli Manning's 3-yard touchdown pass to WR Plaxico Burress in the first quarter, then increased the lead on a pair of Brandon Jacobs touchdown runs in the second quarter. But the Giants didn't score again, leaving the Titans with enough time to fight their way back into the game. Tennessee stepped up its defense in the fourth quarter, forcing Manning into two interceptions that the Titans offense took advantage of. "I don't have the words to talk about it right now, and I probably won't when I see it," head coach Tom Coughlin said. "We're going to be sick about this one forever." With the loss, the Giants fall a game behind the Cowboys (7-4) in the NFC East ahead of their crucial matchup in Week 13 at the Meadowlands.
    Sincerely,
    Anthony

NJ & You, Perfect Together

It was a beautiful start to the beginning of the so-called NY Giants opening game - lose. As I have said - as long as they have NY on their uniforms and are too ashamed of their home state - then I say they should continue to lose.

The other day News 12 New Jersey had the question of the day regarding the Giants Stadium asking if it was right for tax payer money being used for improvements. One of the choices they listed was "NO they're a New York team". The sad thing is - they are NOT a NY team. They have NOTHING to do with NY other than put NY on their uniform to maker everyone think they are a NY team. I called up the TV station and told them and then I sent the following e-mail...

I just wanted to write to you and let you know that the question of the day is worded incorrectly.

The Giants and Jets are BOTH New Jersey teams, not New York. They put NY on their uniforms for marketing purposes and because they feel that while NJ is great to play in and supply them with money - it's not good enough to advertise as their home state. I have no problem with us supporting our teams - such as the Devils, I do have a problem however with us spending our tax money on teams who are too ashamed to acknowledge their home state.

I have been to 40 states and lived in six of them, you would be amazed at the number of people who insist that New Jersey is part of NY, because of the way northern New Jersey attractions and events get associated with New York. Just look at the Live Earth "New York" event, which thankfully much of the media started calling "Live Earth New Jersey" Until our politicians put an end to this non-sense and stand up for New Jersey, we will always be walked on and overshadowed by NY and these teams. Can you imagine Canada accepting a stadium for a Detroit team to be built in Windsor Canada and yet continue to carry the Detroit name? It won't happen, because Canada has something that New Jersey is SORELY lacking - a sense of PRIDE and self respect!. Our state is up for sale to the highest bidder, it's the way it's worked for centuries.

I say, and many New Jerseyans support me on this, these teams either carry NJ on their uniforms or they don't play in NJ - and they definitely don't get any NJ State money to support them. With this Giants/Jets deal, we are not only paying for the infrastructure, we gave up all naming rights to the new Giants Stadium - including the the Meadowlands Sports Complex (Giants can now sell that too), all income from any events taking place at the new stadium - which we currently get a cut from, and last but not least, we forgave them $126 million in debt they owed us. All this, for $5 million in rent a year. All this, while New York gets all the recognition, and the marketing that comes with their name being plastered all over the world! I will never support the Giants or Jets as long as they play in New Jersey and carry NY. I hope they never go to the Super Bowl promoting New York. Why would I want them to win? So I can see NY get all the recognition for having a winning team - let them be known for having the losers in the NFL! We get the tax money whether they win or lose - NY gets the recognition though. Let New York get the losing end of the bargain for a change. Just as a side note - the Giants have never won a Super Bowl while wearing NY - they should remember that.

Btw - I will be putting this question out on our messageboard at - http://forum.AboutNewJersey.com We already have numerous discussions on the Red Bulls carrying NY, the Giants ands Jets name as well as the stadium.

Thank you -

Robert

New Jersey Proud!