Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Favorite Pizzeria

Mario`s on rt 35 north in normandy beach just north of seaside hieghts.

Tourist

Default Favorite Pizza

When I was growing up in South Paterson in the 60's and 70's there was Piccolo's Pizzeria on Main St. The best Pizza around any where.I see they filmed scenes of the Sopranos in Ralph Piccolo's place.
    You guys are sooo lucky to still be in New Jersey. I moved to Scotland, I sure miss alot about Paterson, but realize every thing changes., Piccolo's is still there though. Does any one out there know Dave Frech? He and Denny Iozzio all use to hang out at Piccolo's in the 60's Dave Frech went to VeitNam and when he got out joined the Paterson Police.I have lost contact along time ago I have been trying on the Internet for years to find them, no luck.
    Well by for now Enjoy your Pizza!
    from Lillian

New Jersey Tour Guide Jersey Warren's Avatar

Hi Lillian,

I grew up not too far from Paterson in Bergen County in the 50s and 60s. It's true that once you have real "Napolitan" pizza in New Jersey everything else pales by comparison.

Regarding Scotland, my wife's father came from Glasgow and she always wanted to visit there. We are planning to go in mid-2009, when we have accumulated enough Delta Skymiles and money to afford the trip.

Delta has a direct flight from Atlanta to Edinburgh. (We currently live in Florida.) While there we also want to visit the ancestral Davidson castle in the Highland, which had been turned into a hotel. (My mother's maiden name was Davidson.)

Whereabouts are you in Scotland? Did you know that many Scots settled in Kearney, New Jersey and they have lots of Scottish events there?

Tourist

Hi JerseryWarren'
    I was born and raised in Paterson. My Mom and Dad were Born in Scotland, but did not meet till they had been in Paterson for a couple of years. My Dad was from a town called Wishaw which is in Glasgow. My Mom was from Dalkeith, which is where I stay now, it is 7 miles from Edinburgh 25 min on the bus.
    When I was little my Mother and Father use to go to the Scottish and Irish Club in Kearney.
    When you and your wife get the chance to come here maybe we can all meet up for a visit.
    from Lillian

Hi Lillian,

Your posts are very interesting. If you remain on this board and we stay in contact we will certainly let you know when are plans are more final, probably late next year, as we generally plan our trips a year in advance.

There is a new movie coming out on Christmas Day called The Water Horse about Loch Ness, which we will probably see. We saw the other one about Loch Ness with Ted Danson and enjoyed it.

When I went to Don Bosco High School in Ramsey I had a second-year Latin teacher named Mr. Robert Reynolds who came from Edinburgh. I think he had lived in Paterson for awhile. He pronounced Latin with a Scottish burr! He wore dark glasses all the time because his eyes were sensitive to light and the same tartan tie every day. Since it was an all-boys' school, he wanted to make sure the kids didn't think he was a pushover. He'd say things like:

"Ay used ta be quite a roughhouser in the auld days back in Edinburgh, so don't any o' you hooligans try ta start anything with me!"

His hobby was target shooting and he used to carry a bullet or two in his coat pocket and bounce a bullet off the head of anyone who wasn't paying attention. He'd draw caricatures of troublemakers on targets, shoot them full of bullet holes, then bring the targets into class and tell the kids: "See. This is what's gonna happen to you if you don't straighten up."

It was all talk, of course. He was really a pretty nice guy once you got to know him. Being a thrifty Scott, he owned a Lincoln Continental but always walked to school, even on the coldest days, which he described as "Nice and br-r-risk!" He only drove his car when it was pouring down rain.

Anyway, I'm glad you joined this board. I'll enjoy sharing more stories with you.

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Lily - welcome back. My parents had gone to Scotland years ago - Glasgow actually. They loved it.

BY the way - in terms of pizza - doesn't everyone think that shore pizza has a different taste than northern New Jersey or central New Jersey pizza?

I haven't found a best pizza place down where I live in Toms River, although I usually go to Attilios on rt 166 just because they are close to my place. However, they don't come close to Sansone Brothers.

As a matter of fact, my friend from college came out to visit during Thanksgiving (she lives in Canada) and the first thing she said when she got off the plane was - can we go to Sansone Brothers. Now I know she loves their pizza, so on the way up I was trying to figure out how we could fit it in now that I live an hour away. Anyway - we decided to head down to Sansone Brothers, then hang out around Princeton - and THEN head back to Toms River. Now that's a sign of a good pizza place.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

Tourist

Hi JerseyWarren,
    You did'nt happen to know Dave Frech he went to Don Bosco's, I have been trying to locate him but no luck. We all use to hang out at Piccolo's pizzeria in South Paterson. What Great Pizza that was. And it is still there. They filmed scenes there for the Sopranos.I loved watching it seeing places I remembered.
    from Lillian
    Last edited by lily_tulips; 12-19-2007 at 10:03 AM.

Recent Resident

Pizza sounds really good right now. And all of these places everyone has mentioned are great. Might be back in a min after I go get me a piece of pizza.

For those who don't know how lucky they are, almost EVERY independently owned pizzeria in New Jersey has better pizza than almost anyplace else in America. It's like fishing in a barrel, as they say!

New Jerseyan

When I go to Ocean City I get in line for Mack and Manco's which is the best pizza at the Jersey Shore - Saturday in summers - fuggedaboutit! Lines across the boardwalk. There is also another pizza place in Ocean City called Picini that makes very good brick oven pizza.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by NJBarb View Post
    When I go to Ocean City I get in line for Mack and Manco's which is the best pizza at the Jersey Shore - Saturday in summers - fuggedaboutit! Lines across the boardwalk. There is also another pizza place in Ocean City called Picini that makes very good brick oven pizza.
    Doesn't it make you wonder why pizzeria owners in other places don't come to New Jersey and just open their eyes and figure out how it's made! Just from standing behind the counter, I noticed that pizza guys in New Jersey cooked their pies directly on the stone bottom of the oven at more than 500 degrees, while Greek-owned pizza places in Massachusetts cooked their pizzas in pans (which holds in moisture and ruins the crust) at only 350 degrees! No way are you going to get a decent pizza crust under those conditions! It isn't rocket science, but only in New Jersey, New York, and Italy can they get it right.

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Warren View Post
    Doesn't it make you wonder why pizzeria owners in other places don't come to New Jersey and just open their eyes and figure out how it's made! Just from standing behind the counter, I noticed that pizza guys in New Jersey cooked their pies directly on the stone bottom of the oven at more than 500 degrees, while Greek-owned pizza places in Massachusetts cooked their pizzas in pans (which holds in moisture and ruins the crust) at only 350 degrees! No way are you going to get a decent pizza crust under those conditions! It isn't rocket science, but only in New Jersey, New York, and Italy can they get it right.
    This is exactly why I make my pizza on a pizza stone in a pre-heated oven at 500 degrees. BTW - I also make my own dough from hand. My father learned from someone who was from Italy.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

Quote Originally Posted by UDmcRU View Post
    Delorenzos Pizza..Hamilton Ave...Trenton, NJ..definitely.
    Ahhh! DeLorenzos... Been quite a few years since I've been there Excellent!

From past experience get there early on a Sunday afternoon they open at 4PM and the line starts forming at 2...