PDA

View Full Version : New Jersey Devil - first post of the board

JerseyDevil
03-06-2004, 07:42 AM
This is the first post of the board and I felt it appropriate to start the board off with an explanation of my screen name and the Jersey Devil.

I have always been interested in the Jersey Devil, having grown up on the outer edge of the Pine Barrens in Bricktown. On the bus we used to spend the ride home telling ghost stories about the legend.

As the story goes - the Jersey Devil was the 13th child of Mrs Leeds of what is now Leeds Point - just north of Atlantic City. When Mrs Leeds was giving birth she screamed that she wished the child was a devil. She then gave brith to a hideous creature which proceeded to fly out the window and has haunted New Jersey ever since. The Jersey Devil is rumored to live in the million+ acres of area known as the Pine Barrens. Anyone who has gone through the Pine Barrens, especially at night, can see why such a legend would develop.

For a more in depth discription of the Jersey devil - until I get that information on my own site up anyway - go to Leut's Jersey Devil Hunter's Homepage (http://users.adelphia.net/~leuter/)

If you have any questions, comments or have had experiences or stories about the Jersey Devil you wish to post about - feel free to do so.

Lin
03-18-2004, 05:54 AM
That's a really interesting legend. When did it originate? And there are actually hunts that are carried out too! Ever been on one of them?

JerseyDevil
03-18-2004, 06:01 AM
That's a really interesting legend. When did it originate?

It originated during colonial times, although the Indians also seem to have had the legend too.

And there are actually hunts that are carried out too! Ever been on one of them?
I have been in contact with the devil Hunters. I wanted to go on a hunt. I contacted them - but then nothing happened. I was going to go to a meeting anyway - just ended up not having any time.

Lin
03-18-2004, 06:20 AM
Oh, so it's based on the Indian version? Interesting.

I have to read about what the Hunters actually DO. I'm quite surprised that you've never been on one before, considering how interested you are in the [Jersey] Devil. :)

JerseyDevil
03-18-2004, 06:23 AM
Oh, so it's based on the Indian version? Interesting.

Well the indians had a legend of some creature living in the Pine Barrens, but I don't know how related it is to the Jersey Devil. The Jersey Devil was "born" in 1735.

I have to read about what the Hunters actually DO. I'm quite surprised that you've never been on one before, considering how interested you are in the [Jersey] Devil. :)
Yeah I know. But I do swear that the Jersey Devil came to my window at night when I was little though.

Lin
03-18-2004, 06:31 AM
Yeah I know. But I do swear that the Jersey Devil came to my window at night when I was little though.
:shock: Do people around your area often have experiences like that?

Is there any other popular myth around NJ, or is it just the Jersey Devil?

JerseyDevil
03-18-2004, 06:36 AM
:shock: Do people around your area often have experiences like that?

There was the big spotting in the early 1900's. Tons of people saw him - including police officers.

Is there any other popular myth around NJ, or is it just the Jersey Devil?
There are quite a few legends. Ghost ships, ghosts, Blackbeard, Captain Kidd. A lot of pirate legends since pirates routinely used Long Beach Island as their hideout. The ghost ships because many ships ran aground on the NJ shoals.

Lin
03-18-2004, 06:43 AM
There was the big spotting in the early 1900's. Tons of people saw him - including police officers.
Even nowadays? It's not just NJ-fanatics like you, is it? ;)

Thanks for answers. Very interesting.

Post #10. You better be true to your word, JD. :)

JerseyDevil
03-18-2004, 06:46 AM
Even nowadays? It's not just NJ-fanatics like you, is it? ;)

Anyone who goes into the Pine Barrens can see why the Jersey Devil is such a big legend.

Thanks for answers. Very interesting.

No problem. Thanks for joining. :)

Post #10. You better be true to your word, JD. :)
You see - you are now no longer a "tourist" - you are a "recent resident" now. :)

DevilHunters
03-22-2004, 09:33 PM
Hello everyone,

My name is Laura and I am the president of the Devil Hunters, an organization dedicated to the research and investigation of the Jersey Devil and its legend.

I just wanted to give you a little description of what we do, as it seems that we have been discussed here a little. We conduct research of all sorts - some on the internet, some through books and other forms of media, and my personal favorite, some real field work. Yes, we're the crazy people who head out into the woods at night in order to catch and document a glimpse of the Jersey Devil.

I also wanted to let you guys know that this creature, whatever it may be, is still active. I am constantly receiving sighting reports from witnesses all over New Jersey (and even in some other states). Our official website, will soon be featuring sightings as recent as February and March of this year!

I'll be stopping in here from time to time, I hope that we can get a good chat going about the creature! I look forward to hearing from you guys again soon.

Laura K. Leuter,
Devil Hunters President
Leut's Jersey Devil Page (http://users.adelphia.net/~leuter)

JerseyDevil
03-22-2004, 10:00 PM
Glad you came by. I'm sure that many people will be interested in hearing more about the Jersey Devil. I know my friend from Sweden is very interested in stories about him.

I hope you will also post in the other forums too. :) Starting a forum is always slow - but hopefully with word of mouth, interesting posts, and so forth - it will attract more people.

Stephanie Plum
03-23-2004, 05:32 PM
Since this "thing" was born in 1735... that means it would be about 269 years old. Don't you think that this would make it impossible to still be alive, even if it were a real and actual living thing?

DevilHunters
03-26-2004, 11:59 PM
Hey,

I know that the concept of a creature staying alive for over 200 years is basically unheard of... But on the other hand, my personal theory is that this might not be one thing, but a species that has been reproducing throughout the years. This theory would account for the longevity of the creature, and also would explain the variety in descriptions from the sightings (some say it was 4 feet, some say 6 feet, some say it was brown, others say black, etc.). I've even received reports where people have seen more than one of these "creatures" out there. I think that it's possible that there have been many generations of Jersey Devils throughout the years, which is why the stories start in the 1700's and continue up until this very year. Of course, this is all in theory and I don't have sufficient evidence at this time to prove the theory... but that's my thought on it. Unfortunately, there's just so much we don't know yet. But have faith, we're trying to figure it all out and maybe one day we'll have some real answers...

Laura K. Leuter,
Devil Hunters President

Stephanie Plum
04-04-2004, 05:54 PM
What are the chances that ... a species of mammal, which

has never been caught,
never been discovered by science,
no remains ever been found,
and lives in a wooded area within one of the most densely populated states,

...actually exists? :?:

JerseyDevil
04-04-2004, 06:18 PM
What are the chances that ... a species of mammal, which

has never been caught,
never been discovered by science,
no remains ever been found,
and lives in a wooded area within one of the most densely populated states,

...actually exists? :?:
There are new species found all the time. As for the most densly populated state - the area that it lives in is very remote and is the Pine BARRENS. It's a million+ acres.

Anonymous
04-21-2004, 06:53 PM
That is an interesting legend. Is there a book about it? I love reading stuff like that.

I've never been to New Jersey, but I have walked through forests alone at night, and they can be creepy sometimes. (I'm thinking specifically of when someone told me after there was a cougar in the area. That explains that hair-raising feeling.)

This is a great board JD. This legend is a great way to kick it off. :)

Marianita
02-13-2006, 01:27 AM
Has anyone ever actually seen such a creature? How did the legend start? I would think that if a creature such as that ever existed , I agree with the other poster that the creature either reproduced or died off. There are other places in NJ that are reported to be haunted. I enjoy discussing the Jersey Devil but would not go off looking for it, just incase there is one. lol. It is always facinating talking about a ghost. Keep in mind that New Jersey has alot of older victorian style homes and legends abound. I wonder if way back a couple of hundred years ago, someone really did see something. The legend had to start somehow. Marianita

JerseyDevil
02-18-2006, 01:55 AM
Has anyone ever actually seen such a creature? How did the legend start? I would think that if a creature such as that ever existed , I agree with the other poster that the creature either reproduced or died off. There are other places in NJ that are reported to be haunted. I enjoy discussing the Jersey Devil but would not go off looking for it, just incase there is one. lol. It is always facinating talking about a ghost. Keep in mind that New Jersey has alot of older victorian style homes and legends abound. I wonder if way back a couple of hundred years ago, someone really did see something. The legend had to start somehow. Marianita

There is a huge history to the Jersey Devil. I of course exlained how the legend goes, but there are several ways the legend could have come about. One that the Devil Hunters feel is the most probable is that Mrs Leeds gave birth to a deformed son.

I grew up on the edges of the Pine Barrens - Bricktown and I used to go into the woods all the time, by myself or with friends, and go hunting for the Jersey Devil. He has always been a part of my life and is therefore why I am known on here as "Jersey Devil"

There are a number of books you might be interested in if you are wondering about the ghost lore of NJ. Most people don't know that Blackbeard used to hang out on Long Beach Island and it has been felt that he buried some of his treasure there (although with the constant changing of the island, it's most likely out at sea now).

Marianita
02-18-2006, 07:55 PM
I would enjoy reading about the Jersey devil. When you went looking for him did you ever see or feel anything? Did you sense a presence? What would you have done if you had actually see it? Apparently the legend goes on and people continue to be facinated by the jersey devil. I will see about getting the book. Thankyou. Marianita

Roadbldr '59
03-01-2007, 12:13 AM
The legend of the Jersey Devil goes by many names, it seems. I first heard about it in the early 70s, told as a campfire ghost story by our Scoutmaster... he called it the "Glendola Demon".

Hey, has anyone read that book (or the magazine) "Weird NJ" by Mark Scheurman and Mark Moran? I picked it up at Border's, when I was visiting Morris County with my girlfriend last weekend. The Devil isn't the only strange legend haunting my home state.

davegering
03-01-2007, 05:45 AM
The book is one of my best selling Items at my store at the airport. there is now a 2nd Volume also. Mark and Mark also have a show on the history channel calle Weird USA

Marianita
03-02-2007, 02:08 AM
Hi Dave, I would like to get a hold of that Wierd NJ book. Can I send for it from your store? I get emails from that website and it sounds facinating. We have a Borders here so I will look there first. I wonder how true the legends are. lol. Marianita

davegering
03-03-2007, 06:58 AM
Yes you can the books are 19.95 and i can give you my 25% discount

Marianita
03-03-2007, 11:57 PM
Thankyou Dave. Please provide address and price. That is so nice of you. Marianita:)

JerseyDevil
03-06-2007, 09:26 PM
Today is the third anniversary of AboutNewJersey.com's messageboard. I figured I would revise this thread, even though lately it's been active.

Marianita
03-06-2007, 10:48 PM
Hi Jersey Devil, Happy 3rd anniversary. This is a wonderful board and you have done a great job with it. I found the board quite by accident while looking for Jersey topics. I have really enjoyed being a part of the group here. Marianita:)

jamesK1
05-30-2008, 05:50 AM
This is the first post of the board and I felt it appropriate to start the board off with an explanation of my screen name and the Jersey Devil.

I have always been interested in the Jersey Devil, having grown up on the outer edge of the Pine Barrens in Bricktown. On the bus we used to spend the ride home telling ghost stories about the legend.

As the story goes - the Jersey Devil was the 13th child of Mrs Leeds of what is now Leeds Point - just north of Atlantic City. When Mrs Leeds was giving birth she screamed that she wished the child was a devil. She then gave brith to a hideous creature which proceeded to fly out the window and has haunted New Jersey ever since. The Jersey Devil is rumored to live in the million+ acres of area known as the Pine Barrens. Anyone who has gone through the Pine Barrens, especially at night, can see why such a legend would develop.

For a more in depth discription of the Jersey devil - until I get that information on my own site up anyway - go to Leut's Jersey Devil Hunter's Homepage (http://users.adelphia.net/~leuter/)

If you have any questions, comments or have had experiences or stories about the Jersey Devil you wish to post about - feel free to do so.
Hi Im James, just wanted to intro..

davegering
06-01-2008, 05:45 AM
We have a book in the store done by the guys that do Weird NJ about the Jersey Devil

njmusic
03-04-2010, 12:24 PM
I would enjoy reading about the Jersey devil. When you went looking for him did you ever see or feel anything? Did you sense a presence? What would you have done if you had actually see it? Apparently the legend goes on and people continue to be facinated by the jersey devil. I will see about getting the book. Thankyou. Marianita

The stories have a lot of variations mine being MaMA Leeds was a witch while giving birth offered her 12th child Jimmy Leeds being born deformed to the devil at which time its sprouted wings and flew out the window
The place Leeds Point NJ I went there in search of most of the locals won't talk to much about it actually I was surprised to find a lot of the residents with the name Leeds I did find way off the beaten path under mounds of overgrown weeds a very old wood stove in an open patch all by itself what looked like could have been a shanty of some sort a long time ago I got a little chill (SPOOKY) for a moment but nothing other then that.

I have camped in Wharton Track many times but nothing to answer your question what would i have done I probably would have tried to communicate in some way I believe it would be more scared of me them me of it

Check Wikipedia JD has been in many movies tv shows books etc.

NEW JERSEY we are proud of our Devil :-D

Marianita
03-06-2010, 08:20 PM
It sounds as if a legend has been created and it just kept going. I am sure many people visit that spot in Leeds hoping to see something. The residents of Leeds probably are used to the legend and think nothing of it or are very careful. I think I would feel a chill too just knowing what may have happened there.
It is interesting about the stove though. Did you happen to find out why it was there and some history about it? It had to be there for a reason. Let us know if you inquired about it. Marianita