PDA

View Full Version : Rutgers Football

NJPRIDE
08-31-2006, 08:47 PM
A new tradition was started last year by Rutgers football fans. We all wear a red Rutgers football shirt on Fridays during the season to support the team. Help us out and support a true N.J. team ,wear red . Help keep the tradition alive . GO R.U.:D

JerseyDevil
08-31-2006, 09:41 PM
A new tradition was started last year by Rutgers football fans. We all wear a red Rutgers football shirt on Fridays during the season to support the team. Help us out and support a true N.J. team ,wear red . Help keep the tradition alive . GO R.U.:D
Hey - why just wear red - any other state everyone would be wearing the school shirt or sweatshirt. :D ( ah my mistake - reread your comment after I posted and I see that you did say red RUTGERS football shirts :o ) I'll make sure I pick up a Rutgers shirt and wear it on Fridays.

davegering
09-01-2006, 06:54 AM
I will put my Rutgers shirt on now since i do already have one. I went to RUTGERS. Go Scarlet Knights.

JerseyDevil
09-01-2006, 09:29 AM
If this was Indiana or Kentucky or most other states I've been to - I woud be able to go into almost any grocery store and pick up their state university's shirt. I used to thinking it was stupid at what a big deal they went through over IU or UofL, etc, but nw I've sort of changed my mind in most respects. They have something that New Jerseyans lack - and that's a sense of self pride. They're proud of their state. I hope by doing this that more people will see it and this can foster some sense of prided. NJN the other day had on about this Riutgers Alumni - he teaches now at the Camden Campus. It was just great to see somone so into supporting Rutgers.

So can someone post the Scarlet Knigth's fight song here? :)

davegering
09-01-2006, 09:32 AM
I know the Rutgers University song is "On the Banks of the Old Raritan" but im not sure what the football song is.

davegering
09-01-2006, 09:39 AM
Here it is

Fight Songs Lyrics

Rutgers Lyrics

Rutgers
"The Bells Must Ring"

March, men of Rutgers,
Down the field today,
March to another score,
Foward to the fray,
Fight! men of Rutgers
As in days gone by,
Fight! for the Scarlet flag
Over the rest must fly.
Chorus:
Keep Rutgers colors to the fore,
For they must win so fight, fight, fight!
And we'll advance some more to score,
The Rutgers flag flies high tonight, alright, alright.
We'll fling the Scarlet banner out,
And Rutgers men will fight, fight, fight!
The bells of Queens each victr'y shout,
The bells of Queens must ring tonight.
R! U! RAH! RAH! R! U! RAH! RAH! RAH!
HOORAH! HOORAH! RUTGERS! RAH! RAH!
FIGHT! TEAM! UP! STREAM!
UP! STREAM! RED! TEAM! RAH! RAH! RUTGERS! RAH

JerseyDevil
09-01-2006, 02:11 PM
Thanks Dave for putting up the Rutgers fight song. I got my Rutgers stuff - but not before getting aggrivated.

I went to the mall - figuring one of the sports stores would carry Rutgers stuff (ignorantly I was going with the fact that other states have a sense of pride and would be shoving this stuff down your throat). Needless to say - I looked and I looked around Champs at the Ocean County Mall. They have Duke, Michigan, Notre Dame, North Carolina and more. After looking everywhere, I waited in line and the cashier asked if he could help me. So I asked him if they have any Rutgers stuff and he said - they don't carry Rutgers. I told him - you carry all these other universities - but not the state university? He said they carry it around Freehold. I felt like telling him that while Rutgers is only 40 miles from Toms River, North Carolina is over 500, and Notre Dame is about 900, and unlike Rutgers, neither are New Jersey universities. :roll:

In Indiana if I wanted an IU or Purdue Shirt, I could go to a frigging Rite Aid or even the grocery store. Not in New Jersey though. Here in good ole New Jersey, you can't even buy New Jersey college shirts at a sports store at a mall; they only sell OUT OF STATE university merchandise. :rolleyes:

After this fiasco, I went to see my cousin and I told him that NJ sucks, which this statement obviously shocked him. After explaining to him, he thought it was a bit ridiculous too. He then told me about Modells at the Foodtown shopping center on 37 and that I should try there. I'm glad I did - not only did they have Rutgers stuff, but some of it was actually displayed in the window. Can you believe it? Actually having New Jersey merchandise proudly displayed? I swear, the world is going to come to an end! Isn't that supposed to be one of the signs of armaggedan coming - New Jerseyans get some pride and proudly show off their home state? Damn - if I didn't know any better I swear that the Giants and Jets will finally admit to the world they are a New JERSEY team and put NJ on their uniforms. If that happened though the whole universe would probably collapse on itself. :mad: :rolleyes:

If this seems as if I am frustrated - I am!

Anyway, I am NOW wearing my NEW Rutgers sweatshirt and not only did I get that, but I also go a football jersey, a golf shirt AND a long sleave t-shirt. I am now fully prepared for Friday night Proud to be New JERSEY - Rutgers supporter. :)

I think I'll even change my avatar for the time being to a Rutgers/Scarlet Knight logo. :D

For those interested you can buy your Rutgers gear at the Online Rutgers Store (https://store.shopscarlet.com/comersus/store/comersus_dynamicIndex.asp)

Here is the Scarlet Knights (http://www.scarletknights.com) official website.

NJPRIDE
09-01-2006, 09:58 PM
Good job JD and Dave its is a tradition we started last football season and we hope it catches on . Things like this may take a while but like I said we wear red R.U. football shirts,etc. every Friday during the season. I also have a jersey, hat, a couple t-shirts, a jacket and season tickets. I have been going to their games for about 20 years now. Sorry to hear getting these things was a pain JD as I noticed the same thing quite a few years ago. The problem is R.U. has had alot of down years recently in the more popular sports and people tend to only root for teams that always win instead of going through the bad times with the team. I myself have bought things at the stadium , the bookstore and a store called Scarlet Fever its in New Brunswick down the street from the bookstore. The more they win more places will carry their shirts,etc. Thanks again for helping the tradition and tell people about it .

NJPRIDE
09-02-2006, 07:38 PM
Rutgers goes down to North Carolina today and brings home a HUGE win 21-16.:D Next up, Illinois Sat. Sept. 9 . It is R.U.s home opener and the place will be rocking, and it should be close to a record crowd at the stadium . Game time high noon , tailgaiting time 8:00 am (if not sooner) . I AM PUMPED ! Remember help support the home team and wear a red Rutgers shirt Friday , its New Jerseys new tradition.:D

JerseyDevil
09-04-2006, 01:04 AM
I was out - but my cousin called me and told me that Rutgers had won. :) Sports shouldn't be the central aspect of a university - but they do give something that the community, state and students can rally around. I hope that in the near future New Jerseyans will be rallying around Rutgers - the way Indiana rallys around Indana University.

BTW - I am one of the people who supported the renaming of Rutgers and the consolidation of NJ schools to form a mega university simiar to the University of California. I wanted the "new" university to be called New Jersey University - with each part appended to the end - such as New Jersey University - Rutgers. Okay so this is an off topic and should go under the New Jersey Schools and Education forum. :)

NJPRIDE
09-07-2006, 07:12 PM
Tommorrow is Red day , Sat. - home opener vs. Illinois, R.U. is an 11 point favorite , AMAZING . Just a few short years ago R.U. would have been the underdog . The times they are a-changing! GOOOOOOOOOO R.U.

JerseyDevil
09-08-2006, 02:59 PM
NJPride - I am wearing my Rutgers shirt. :) Also, it is good that things are changing, hopefully they will continue to change for the better.

davegering
09-08-2006, 06:03 PM
I think a finnaly convinced by buyers to get me some RUTGERS product for the store. It took me 4 years but I think i have finnally won. We are also going to have a bigger NJ DEVILS section this year.

JerseyDevil
09-08-2006, 06:47 PM
I think a finnaly convinced by buyers to get me some RUTGERS product for the store. It took me 4 years but I think i have finnally won. We are also going to have a bigger NJ DEVILS section this year.
That's great. Why has it taken so long? I remember, the company that owns the Jersey Store at Newark Liberty is an out of state company - wouldn't you know more than them what should be carried?

This reminds of the incidents at the Turnpike, Parkway and Liberty State Park stores. When confronted about the amount of NY stuff they sell and th fact that they don't sell NJ items (although the Turnpike reststops have started the carry a limited selection of NJ items), they said that NJ stuff doesn't sell - only NY stuff. Wll my argument is - if you don't offer it - of course no one is going to buy it. Also - if they want NY items - get it in NY. You don't see Penn Station selling NJ souvenirs. :rolls: I know I know - a bit off topic. Just needed to get this off my chest. :p

If you don't sell Rutgers things, of course no one is going to buy it. :rolls:

JerseyDevil
09-09-2006, 05:54 PM
Tommorrow is Red day , Sat. - home opener vs. Illinois, R.U. is an 11 point favorite , AMAZING . Just a few short years ago R.U. would have been the underdog . The times they are a-changing! GOOOOOOOOOO R.U.
11 point favorite there - uh? They came in a little low on that one RU shut them out at 33 - 0 :D It is rather amazing that a couple of years ago you really wouldn't be expecting Rutgers to win at all.

davegering
09-10-2006, 05:50 AM
Another big win. Syracuse looked good in their lose but we can whip them too.

NJPRIDE
09-10-2006, 08:19 PM
My wife and I got to the lot for the usual pregame tailgaiting at 9am. Some of my friends had already arrived. Then I hear a plane buzzing the lots, look up and its pulling a banner like the planes down the shore do. This plane was advertising Geico insurance. This plane flew over the area many times and it became more annoying after every fly over, but what was more annoying was the fact that it was advertising how great the company does in new york. What the hell do I care how an insurance company does in another state? I will be E-mailing them to let them know about my feelings about this banner. Other than that it was a great game and a beautiful day. Next week is homecoming against Ohio. Hopefully we go 3-0 and we will be halfway to being bowl eligible. Game time is 3:30, and the game is on MSG. But dont watch it on the tube unless you have 2 broken legs, get your tickets soon and come to the game,it is supposed to be another nice day according to early weather forecasts. GO R.U.

JerseyDevil
09-10-2006, 08:24 PM
My wife and I got to the lot for the usual pregame tailgaiting at 9am. Some of my friends had already arrived. Then I hear a plane buzzing the lots, look up and its pulling a banner like the planes down the shore do. This plane was advertising Geico insurance. This plane flew over the area many times and it became more annoying after every fly over, but what was more annoying was the fact that it was advertising how great the company does in new york. What the hell do I care how an insurance company does in another state? I will be E-mailing them to let them know about my feelings about this banner.

I had e-mailed them once about using the term "Jerseyite" in their ads. I never heard anything from them. They seem to want to do business in New Jersey - they just have a bunch of New York ad agencies doing their marketing who know NOTHING, nor care to know anything about New Jersey. You can read about it in the "New Jerseyan or New Jerseyite" thread (http://forum.aboutnewjersey.com/showthread.php?t=199).

Other than that it was a great game and a beautiful day. Next week is homecoming against Ohio. Hopefully we go 3-0 and we will be halfway to being bowl eligible. Game time is 3:30, and the game is on MSG. But dont watch it on the tube unless you have 2 broken legs, get your tickets soon and come to the game,it is supposed to be another nice day according to early weather forecasts. GO R.U.
I have debated on going and asking about meeting up with you. :)

NJPRIDE
09-11-2006, 07:58 PM
JD , If you or anybody else would like to meet up with us at a game you are more than welcome. We meet at the same spot evey game. It is about 200 yards from the stadium in a small grass field with plenty of shade . We also have a couple of canopys to put over our barbecues . One of my friends also brought a portable bar this week (not that we needed the bar to suck down a few).We always have plenty of food because we all bring something to share . A good time is had by all and then we head into the stadium and watch R.U. win, hopefully. The college atmosphere is 100 times better than the pros!

NJPRIDE
09-17-2006, 09:56 PM
Rutgers continues to win . Yesterdays homecomeing crowd which was the 5th largest in stadium history saw a 24-7 R.U. victory over Ohio. R.U. now stands a 3-0 and has a home game this coming Sat. against Howard at 2:00 leaving plenty of time to soak up the great college atmosphere while tailgaiting. Dont forget all you proud Jerseyans help the new tradition and wear a red Rutgers shirt on Friday.

JerseyDevil
09-17-2006, 10:21 PM
Rutgers continues to win . Yesterdays homecomeing crowd which was the 5th largest in stadium history saw a 24-7 R.U. victory over Ohio. R.U. now stands a 3-0 and has a home game this coming Sat. against Howard at 2:00 leaving plenty of time to soak up the great college atmosphere while tailgaiting. Dont forget all you proud Jerseyans help the new tradition and wear a red Rutgers shirt on Friday.
I'll be wearing my Rutgers sweatshirt at Niagara Falls next Friday. :) I'm going t be going up to Canada to visit a friend.

BTW - my cousin has been borrowing my Ruters shirt, right now he even has my sweatshirt, which he has worn while working at Subway. I'm going to get him a sweatshirt and I think we will be heading up for a game I hope.

I was going to post about the Rutgers win but I figured I'd leave you with the honors. :)

davegering
09-18-2006, 09:04 AM
Rutgers is now rated 28 in the AP poll and 29 in the USA today poll we are getting closer. RU rules.

NJPRIDE
09-24-2006, 08:14 PM
R.U. is now #23. :D Let me repeat,R.U. is now #23, after crushing Howard yesterday 56-7 at home. R.U is now 4-0. Next up South Florida, on the road, this Friday night, 8:00 ESPN2. It is our 1st conference opponent this year. Rutgers right now is a 3.5 point favorite (my how things have changed). Remember wear red Friday.

JerseyDevil
09-25-2006, 11:59 AM
Welili I wore my RU sweatshirt at Paramount's Canada Wonderland yesterday. I have pics, so I'lli post them here. We're heading doiwn to Niagara Falls again now and I'll be bringing my sweatshirt there too. :) So anyway - it's good to see Rutgers winning. :excited:

Posted from Six Nations Indian Reserve in Ontario Canada :)

NJPRIDE
10-03-2006, 06:51 PM
Rutgers continues to win, 5-0 now, best start since 1976. They beat South Florida 22-20 Friday night on the road in the conference opener for both teams. Next up Navy on Sat. October 14th, the second game of a 3 game road trip. Wear red! Go R.U.:D

JerseyDevil
10-15-2006, 01:16 PM
Well NJPride - Rutgers is 6 and 0 now. :) I was looking at the stats just now and I find it interesting that you always see people wearing North Carolina - yet they have a terrible record. They currently have only 1 win and 5 loses. As I've said before - sports have a way of bringing pride to a community - especially when they are winning. I hope with Rutgers being a winning team that will have a similar effect on New Jersey. I was wearing my sweatshirt today and I had to go to the bank and the teller started talking about RU - so I think it is having an effect. It may take time, but New Jersey needs something to rally behind.

NJPRIDE
10-15-2006, 07:13 PM
When I wear my R.U. stuff I also get a good response from strangers. Greg Schiano the R.U. coach said this is the one team that can bring the state together, I know he is right. R.U. went up 5 spots in both polls and is now ranked 19 in both of them. One more road game on this trip against Pitt. then they come home to play U.Conn. WEAR RED!:D

davegering
10-17-2006, 08:01 AM
They are also ranked 16th in the BCS rankings which determines the big bowls. GO RU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

davegering
10-21-2006, 10:50 AM
Another big test today against Pitt on the road. Alot of fans where flying out of newark yesterday to go to the game. Go RU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NJPRIDE
10-21-2006, 11:13 AM
Dave, Hopefully you have some R.U. stuff in your Jersey store to sell to those fans. By the way people are looking for red flags with Rutgers block R on it. Maybe this could be a good seller for you. GO R.U.

NJPRIDE
10-21-2006, 09:24 PM
R.U. 20 - Pitt.10 . AWESOME ! R.U. wins a big game on the road and finishes 3-0 on this road trip. They will be coming home to a heros welcome to play U-Conn next Sunday night and they will come home ranked! Yes it is great to be an R.U. fan! WEAR RED!

davegering
10-26-2006, 06:38 PM
They finnally ordered me my RUTGERS stuff. T-SHirts Hoodies and Hats to arrive next week GO RU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JerseyDevil
10-26-2006, 08:30 PM
They finnally ordered me my RUTGERS stuff. T-SHirts Hoodies and Hats to arrive next week GO RU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Great! Make sure you do a really nice display with them right up front. :)

Side note - I've been working with a professor who is doing a study on the image of NJ and he stopped by your store (I had told him about it and had told him to ask for you). You weren't there though, but he did talk to the person who was working there. He was told how people coming through the airport ask why you sell New Jersey stuff and not New York. :)

NJPRIDE
10-27-2006, 06:41 PM
Sell R.U. stuff, R.U. stuff, and more R.U. stuff ! I dont need to see any n.y. garbage in a Jersey store! GO R.U. WEAR RED

NJPRIDE
11-01-2006, 04:55 PM
Another victory as R.U. goes to 8-0. Rutgers beats UConn 24-13 Sunday night at home on national T.V. Next up Louisville on Nov.9 at Rutgers Stadium in what could be a battle of 2 unbeaten teams. This game is also on national T.V. and the game is sold out. A record crowd is expected . R.U. will be putting in temperary bleachers in one of the endzones. The place will be CRAZY! Wear Red!:D

davegering
11-03-2006, 03:43 AM
Biggest game in School History. Scarlet Fevor has hit NJ lets get everyone going. The state should be making a big deal out of this. I havent herd anything from a Politician yet must be to worried about the elections next week.RU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RU ready for some Football

JerseyDevil
11-07-2006, 12:43 PM
This is so fanastic! It's great to see such pride in a New Jersey institution...

Rutgers tickets are worth camping out for
BY BRAD PARKS STAR-LEDGER STAFF

They came with extra hats and gloves, warm jackets and enough provisions to sustain them through the evening. They unfolded their chairs, threw down a few blankets and tried to make a cozy home out of the concrete slab in front of the west gate at Rutgers Stadium.

Then they began their wait. It was 8 o’clock last night. The ticket window would not open for 12 hours. But four Rutgers students from Moorestown — two seniors and two juniors who have known each since high school — weren’t leaving anything to chance.

Just like that, camping overnight for tickets — something never before seen in 137 years of Rutgers football — was under way.

‘‘We wanted to make absolutely sure we got in,’’ said Shane Johnson, one of the juniors.

‘‘We came to every game this season,’’ said Aaron Washington, one of the seniors. ‘‘We couldn’t miss this one.’’

This, after all, is the big one, the one that has an entire state buzzing. Undefeated Rutgers will take on undefeated Louisville Thursday night in what could well be the most anticipated college football game ever played in this state.

And for Rutgers students, the ticket price is awfully hard to beat: It’s free. The only catches are that you have to swipe your student ID not only to claim your ticket but to get into the stadium. (So forget about becoming a scalper to help pay for your tuition.) And only 10,500 student tickets are available.

Which is why those four students from Moorestown weren’t alone for long. Within an hour, a small tent city had sprung up in the parking lot. Some guys from the Rutgers-Newark baseball team even were tossing around a football, tailgate-style.

‘‘We heard if you didn’t show up tonight, there might not be any left tomorrow,’’ said Mike Dennis, one of 17 members of the baseball team preparing to spend a night sleeping on concrete for tickets.

‘‘We’re roughing it,’’ said his teammate Matt Kimbell. ‘‘It’s worth it.’’

This, in case anyone needs reminding, is not how things have been in any of the previous decades since Rutgers played in the first college football game.

Go back just a few years, and 1,000 of the University’s 35,000 students making it to a game was considered a good showing. That was one of the things coach Greg Schiano sought to change when he was hired and began preparing for the 2001 season.

‘‘That spring, he had a meetand-greet with some students, and something like 250 kids showed up, which we thought was great at the time,’’ said Kevin MacConnell, the university’s deputy athletic director. ‘‘He told them his vision. He said, ‘There will be a time when you’re going to be camping out for tickets.’ And I’ll be damned if it isn’t happening.’’

Forgive MacConnell for sounding a little awed by the whole thing. He’s been overseeing the athletic department’s marketing efforts for years and only recently went from the guy selling ice to Eskimos to the guy with the hottest tickets in town.

Louisville is ranked No. 3 in the county; Rutgers No. 15. The winner will claim sole possession of first place in the Big East Conference.

Some of the players who were around for the stink years have whiplash as well. Manny Collins, now a senior, was a freshman when Rutgers went 1-11 and routinely lost games by 50 points or more.

‘‘My freshman year I used to walk around to my friends going, ‘Hey, you guys want tickets?’ And they’d be like, ‘Nah.’ ’’ he said.

And now? ‘‘I got so many people calling me and asking for tickets,’’ he said, ‘‘I stopped picking up my phone.’’

Brian Leonard, the team’s star senior fullback, even joked yesterday that he might go camp out to try to get a few extra tickets, because so many people are asking him for them.

‘‘That’s the biggest distraction to this program right now — family members asking for tickets,’’ Leonard said. ‘‘I’m going to tell ’em to go on eBay and get two tickets for $700 in the upper deck.’’

Thursday's game is going to be tough - but I KNOW Rutgers can do it! I wish I had tickets.

NJPRIDE
11-07-2006, 07:54 PM
J.D., Season Tickets are inexpensive. Ive had them for quite a few years and they havent really gone up in price much recently. They have different packages available including half season. I would suggest at least checking into it as these tickets may get hotter and harder to come by in future years. Parking passes are also available. WEAR RED. GO R.U.:D

JerseyDevil
11-09-2006, 03:17 PM
Well today is the biggest game of the season - Louisville versus Rutgers...

Let's GO Rutgers!!!!

JerseyDevil
11-09-2006, 05:15 PM
Another Thursday thriller (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/austin_murphy/11/09/murphys.law/1.html)
Huge Big East showdown center stage once again
Posted: Thursday November 9, 2006 11:31AM; Updated: Thursday November 9, 2006 5:27PM

Last week it was Louisville's turn to bask in the novelty of its big-time football relevance. "The Showdown in the 'Ville," as the Cardinals' historic upset of West Virginia was dubbed, was hailed as the biggest game in the history of the city, the Bluegrass State and the Big East Conference.

That heady, surreal sense of belonging with the big boys has migrated from the Falls of the Ohio, where Louisville is located, to "the banks of the Old Raritan." So go the lyrics of the Rutgers alma mater, composed by Howard Fullerton in 1873 -- a full four years after his university made history fielding a team which clashed with Princeton in the first-ever college football game. (Rutgers won, 6-4, despite the admonition of an umbrella-waving professor who shouted at players on both sides, "You will come to no Christian end!")

It's been 137 years, but the 8-0, 15th-ranked Scarlet Knights will finally play a game of comparable magnitude. In the Big East's second battle of ranked unbeatens in seven days, No. 3 Louisville visits Rutgers Stadium tonight. Ticket-seeking students camped out in a shantytown named for the head coach (in this case, "Schianoville"). For the first time in its history, a ranked Rutgers team will face a ranked opponent.

Perhaps you saw what the Brian Brohm-led Cardinals did to the Mountaineers a week ago, looking off safeties, threading passes through narrow apertures, absolutely carving up the visitors for 354 yards and a touchdown in a 44-34 victory. Louisville's superb junior quarterback did this despite being just seven weeks removed from surgery to repair a torn ligament in his right thumb.

Brohm's play was "just incredible," marveled Greg Schiano earlier this week. "He's a sure-fire first-round pick and the whole deal," said the Knights head coach, who described tonight's matchup as "a huge challenge."

So, does Rutgers have a prayer?

Of course it does. Schiano has been waiting for six years to coach in a game like this: the opportunity to knock off a top-five team on national TV. This is not the Mountaineers defense the Cardinals will be going up against. As exciting a game as it was last Thursday night, did you not find yourself wondering, "Will either of these defenses ever make a stop?"

Schiano, whose previous gig was as defensive coordinator at Miami, doubles as his own defensive coordinator at Rutgers, and his guys are made of sterner stuff than anyone Louisville has seen this season. The Knights are ranked second in the nation in pass defense (West Virginia is 66th), scoring defense (9.1 points per game) and total defense (227 yards per game).

Can the Knights speedy-but-undersized front seven get heat on Brohm? They can't bring it with too much abandon: Brohm has been the beneficiary of a dynamic rushing attack. Despite the loss of preseason Heisman hopeful Michael Bush, a committee of Cardinals backs has averaged over 200 yards per game on the ground. But as the sages at ScarletNation.com point out, that attack tends to dwindle against the toughest foes (Miami limited U of L's backs to under 100 rushing yards; West Virginia held them to 114).

This game is likely to come down to whether or not Rutgers quarterback Mike Teel is ready for prime time. Yes, the redshirt sophomore's passing statistics have been modest so far this season (seven times he has thrown for 145 or fewer yards). But he has been consistent in the most important statistic: winning. As a starter at Rutgers and New Jersey's Don Bosco Prep (where his 23 straight wins included back-to-back state championships), Teel is 33-1.

"At some point," Schiano said earlier this season, "we're going to have to throw the ball effectively. We haven't had to do that yet."

Two weeks after that comment, Navy sold out to slow Rutgers' superb running back tandem of Ray Rice and Brian Leonard. Teel responded by completing 15 of his 26 passes and burning the Midshipmen for three touchdowns. If the Cardinals stack the box against Rice and Leonard, it will be up to Teel to make them pay with his arm.

Schiano makes no apology for bringing his young quarterback along slowly. He vows to play "New Jersey Big East football" -- a more manly brand of the game, he seemed to be implying, than, say, the Kentucky brand of Big East football.

Remind us again coach -- what exactly is "New Jersey Big East football?" It is, he says, "Controlling the ball, holding it, running it and throwing it not when you have to, but when you want to."

Through the wonders of NJBEF, then, Rutgers will try to keep Brohm off the field by sustaining long, clock-devouring drives featuring Rice and Leonard. Thus, it seems that this game will have a distinctly different feel than did last week's wide-open shootout.

How about that, by the way? For the second straight week, college football's marquee game will not be played on Saturday. While ESPN has been airing Thursday night games on a regular basis for 14 years, Louisville-West Virginia was "the biggest we've ever had," ESPN vice president of public relations Josh Krulewitz told me last week. "We've never had two top-five teams, never had two undefeated teams this late in the season."

While Rutgers-Louisville has slightly less juice, it's not far behind. While the Knights most likely have too much ground to cover to get to the national title game, the Cardinals stand a very solid chance of getting there, should they win out. That such a critical game could be taking place in November, in Piscataway, is, to use that word again, surreal. This is a Rutgers program whose 64-6 loss to Miami in 2000 was, compared to its 80-7 loss in Morgantown a year later, a taut, suspenseful affair. This is a team that has dropped games, in recent seasons, to Villanova, Buffalo (by 23) and New Hampshire.

But the Knights went bowling last season, and are going again. Schiano's players have learned how to win. Maybe we should get used to seeing games of this magnitude played on the banks of the old Raritan.

I've been switching news channels to check out who is covering the Rutgers game in their news coverage. Channel 7 in Ny has their traffi helicopter over piscataway reporting that there are major tie-ups in the new Brunswick area due to the game. The Empire State Building is lit up in Red in honor of Rutgers. Channel 6 in Philadelphia is even covering it - which is great because then southern New Jersey is also getting the news on the game. They even talked about how Rutgers hosted the first college football game EVER - which was played against Princeton. News 12 New Jersey of course is covering the game.

This is just pretty amazing, considering that New Jersey gets so little acknowledgement from news stations. I wish our politicians can see why it's such an important thing for our professional sports teams to carry NJ on their uniforms.

JerseyDevil
11-09-2006, 10:07 PM
Rutgers Wins Against Louisville!!!!!!

Steve Mets
11-09-2006, 10:20 PM
Rutgers all the way they are the best. Bring on anyone they will beat them RU all the way this year they will be 12 and 0 before any one knows it. Lets go RU

JerseyDevil
11-09-2006, 10:46 PM
Unbeaten Rutgers shocks No. 3 Louisville for biggest win in school history

PISCATAWAY, N.J. (AP) -- Rutgers arrived -- and kicked No. 3 Louisville right out of the national championship scramble.

The program that once set the standard for college football futility jumped into the national title picture Thursday night with a 28-25 victory over No. 3 Louisville.

On his second chance, Jeremy Ito kicked a 28-yard tiebreaking field goal with 13 seconds left and the second consecutive primetime showdown between Big East unbeatens went to No. 15 Rutgers (9-0, 4-0).

Just a week ago, it was Louisville (8-1, 3-1) celebrating the biggest win in school history, a 44-34 victory over West Virginia that vaulted the Cardinals into the heart of the national championship race.

This time it was Rutgers' turn to party.

The Scarlet Knights shut out the high-scoring Cardinals in the second half, erased an 18-point deficit and got the ball with 5:28 left in the fourth quarter at their own 9.

Brian Leonard went 26 yards with a pass in the flats to get Rutgers into Louisville territory and Ray Rice broke a 20-yard run to get into field-goal range. Ito missed a 33-yarder with 18 seconds left but Louisville was offside and Ito got another shot -- and it was perfect.

The final play, appropriately, was a sack of Brian Brohm by a Rutgers' defense that proved itself as one of the best in the country.

Fans flooded the field, hardly a yard marker could be seen, engulfing their heroes.

Rice, the Heisman Trophy candidate, yes the new Scarlet Knights even have one of those, ran for 22 times for 131 yards and two touchdowns.

Brohm, who looked like the Heisman contender last week, went 13-for-27 for 163 yards and was sacked five times, twice each by Jamel Meekins and Devraun Thompson.

When coach Greg Schiano took over at Rutgers in 2001 the program was as bad as it got in college football, and it didn't get much better in the former Miami assistant's first few seasons.

The Scarlet Knights won three games in Schiano's first two years and 12 his first four, before finally turning it around last year with seven victories and a bowl bid.

This season, off to their best start 1976, the next step for the Scarlet Knights was to show if they could compete with the nation's best.

The answer: Absolutely.

Louisville jumped out to a 25-7 lead in the first half behind Brohm and a 100-yard kickoff return by JaJuan Spillman and it looked as if the Cardinals were on their way to a BCS boosting romp.

But laughingstocks no more, the Scarlet Knights came charging back to tie it in the fourth quarter behind speedy tailback Rice and a relentless pass rush.

Rutgers gave the 2,000 fans packed into the temporary stands behind the south end zone something to go crazy about when Kenny Britt reached high from a pass over the middle and broke free for a 67-yard reception right in their direction. Louisville's William Gay caught Britt from behind and stripped the ball, but it bounced right back to the Rutgers' receiver, who covered it at the Cardinals' 4.

And if that wasn't enough to swing momentum Rutgers' way, Rice's 4-yard TD sweep on the next play surely was. The 2-point conversion cut the lead to 25-22 with 4:42 left in the third quarter.

After struggling early to slow down Brohm and the No. 2 offense in the country, Meekins and the hard-rushing Scarlet Knights held the Cardinals without a first down for the first 26 minutes of the second half.

When Ito nailed a 46-yard field goal with 10:17 left in the fourth quarter, the game was tied at 25, the cannon behind the south end zone boomed and the record crowd of 44,111 was in a white-towel waving frenzy.

Students started lining up outside Rutgers Stadium more than four hours before kickoff for the most important college football game in New Jersey since, well, maybe the first one was played between Rutgers and Princeton in 1869. Never before had Rutgers played in a game matching ranked teams.

Now the Scarlet Knights have won one and can started wondering where they will be when the next Bowl Championship Series standings come out Sunday.

Way to go RUTGERS!!!!
I always knew you would pull this off!!!

Rutgers has shoved the win in all the nay-sayers face. In the polls on who was going to win - only two states said that Rutgers would pull it off - New Jersey and West Virginia. As someone in the stands said on a sign - "Yo - Show New Jersey Some Respect!!!" You have made New Jersey proud and given this state something great to rally behind. Congratulations to all the great players and thanks to the coach for believing when no one else did.

JerseyDevil
11-09-2006, 10:54 PM
Finally - the media giving Rutgers and New Jersey the respect it deserves (although in my opinion we still deserve a lot more).

Rutgers and Its Road to the Title (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=baker/061109)
By Jim Baker
Special to Page 2

Thursday night, the national halogen light of college football will be beaming down on a spot very close to where the sport first drew breath. The undefeated Rutgers Scarlet Knights are slated to meet fellow undefeated Big East rival Louisville in Piscataway, N.J. -- just across the river from where Rutgers played the very first college football game in 1869.

It's often said that if somebody didn't do something first, somebody else would eventually have come along and broken the ice. Can we really be sure of that, though? Can we really take it for granted that many of the technological marvels and entertainment institutions we enjoy today would exist had somebody not made the first primitive stab at their creation? Sure, things evolve and are improved upon from the time of that initial foray, but can we conclude that the evolution and improvement would have been possible without the first intrepid pioneer who took a shot at making the thing a reality?

I don't think so.

Which is why college football owes Rutgers big time -- and why there is no time like the present to begin paying them back.

If it weren't for Rutgers, and its neighbor a wagon's ride to the south, Princeton, I put it to you that there would be no college football today; at least not as we know it. It might exist as an intramural sport, perhaps -- something played between representatives of the physics and philosophy departments. But the big-time thing that it has come to be? No way. The Brobdingnagian stadiums, the scholarships, the cheerleaders, the television contracts, Keith Jackson, Joe Paterno, Eddie Robinson, the Heisman, the Outland, Touchdown Jesus, Army vs. Navy -- none of it would exist.

And, because it was football that really put intercollegiate sports on the map, can we not also assume that the other college sports we know and love might be similarly lagging?

Yes, we know that the game Rutgers and Princeton played 137 years ago did not much resemble football as we've come to know it -- and that other schools have tried to claim that it was them that played the first "real" intercollegiate contest years later. That's not the point. You're either the first organism that crawls out of the water and starts living on land, or you're not -- even if you don't exactly resemble Secretariat or Mr. Universe at the moment of transition.

So, let us agree then that college football -- not to mention its overgrown stepchild, the National Football League -- owes its very fiber to these two New Jersey universities.

What is to be done about it? For their part, Princeton made a conscious effort years ago to remove itself from big-time football consideration. It, along with seven of the other eight Colonial Colleges (called so because they were awarding degrees before the American Revolution), operates in Division I-AA. The Tigers boast a 7-1 record this year, and have a shot at the Ivy League title. That's a nice season, but Princeton's being upstaged so far by the one Colonial College that does play Division I-A ball: Rutgers.

Many people are calling Thursday night's showdown the most important game in Rutgers football history -- at least since Day 1, anyway. It's true that the 1990s and the early part of the 21st century were not good times for the program. It's also true that the team has rarely pushed its way into the national spotlight since kicking the door open four years after the Civil War ended. Which isn't to say there haven't been highlights -- it's just that what few there have been came before ESPN started showing games on Thursday nights.

After getting the ball rolling (literally, since only kicking was allowed in the first game), Rutgers pretty much tanked the rest of the 19th century. It had brief bursts of competence in the 20th, like going 14-2-2 between 1923 and 1924, and 14-2-1 between 1938 and 1939. The 1946-48 squads were a combined 22-5, and the 1960 and 1961 teams were a combined 17-1, with '61 being the school's first undefeated season since it won its sole game in 1876. The mid-to-late '70s were boom years as well, as the Scarlet Knights were 45-11 from 1975 through 1979. This included their only other undefeated season in 1976 -- en route to an 11-0 record, Rutgers beat Louisville 34-0 three decades ago this week.

Other than some memorable individual games, though, that's pretty much it. And that's not a lot to show for a century-and-a-third's worth of trying, nor is it a fitting fate for a school that was present at the game's creation.

Which brings us back to what other schools can do to help repay Rutgers for opening the Pandora's box that is college football. I would suggest the Scarlet Knights deserve nothing less than a slot in the national championship game -- provided, of course, that they can hold up their end by beating Louisville and running the table in their remaining three games against Cincinnati, Syracuse and West Virginia. Given that they are currently No. 13 in the BCS rankings, an undefeated season, in and of itself, will probably not be enough to get them to Glendale, Ariz., on January 8th. What they need is for the remaining unranked opponents of the 12 teams ahead of them to act as though their very existences were owed to Rutgers -- which, as I've told you, is actually the case.

This is what needs to happen -- either all of this, or at least most of it:

Northwestern beats Ohio State; Indiana bests Michigan; South Florida and UConn dispatch Louisville; Florida State makes Florida pay for its recent hard times, with South Carolina and/or Western Carolina doing the same; Kansas State and Texas A&M put away the Longhorns; Georgia and Alabama make short work of Auburn; Oregon and, if it would like to chip in, UCLA wipe out USC; Arizona and Stanford muscle out Cal; Air Force and Army blitzkrieg Notre Dame; Cincinnati and Pitt humble West Virginia; Tennessee and Mississippi State handle Arkansas; and, finally, Alabama and Ole Miss run roughshod over LSU.

This is not a suggestion that anybody should lie down in order to fulfill Rutgers' destiny. On the contrary, it's asking 20 or so schools to rise above what will mostly be underdog berths and clear the decks so Rutgers can be in a position to fulfill its own destiny on January 8th.

Isn't that the least they can do?

Jim Baker is, not surprisingly, a graduate of Rutgers, where he learned the word "Brobdingnagian." He is an author at Baseball Prospectus and a frequent contributor to Page 2. You can e-mail Jim at bottlebat@gmail.com.

Louisville bit the dust, next up - West Virginia!!

JerseyDevil
11-10-2006, 02:12 AM
I thought this was a really cool article - especially when Coach Schiano talks about New Jersey pride and what the win can mean to the state.

New Jersey state of mind (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/bj_schecter/11/10/rutgers.scene/index.html)
Rutgers fans see Schiano's vision in historic victory
Posted: Friday November 10, 2006 1:55AM; Updated: Friday November 10, 2006 2:13AM

PISCATAWAY, N.J. -- Greg Schiano preached and pleaded and spread his vision for Rutgers football to anyone who would listen. He threw around the catch phrases "State of Rutgers" and "national power" and never swayed from his belief -- even when the Scarlet Knights were losing to Miami 61-0. But even the perpetually upbeat coach couldn't have imagined this.

Rutgers as the center of the college football universe, under the lights on national television in a red-clad atmosphere that rivaled any in the SEC, Big Ten or Big 12. The Empire State building was lit up in scarlet, fans arrived eight, 10 hours early for Rutgers' showdown with No. 3 Louisville, and the team that was once the laughingstock of college football played like it belonged.

"I don't usually do this, but right before kickoff I took off my headset, looked around and said, 'Wow, this is really something,'" Schiano said after his team's improbable 28-25 victory on Jeremy Ito's 28-yard field goal with 13 seconds remaining. "It's everything you could ever hope for in a college football game. The atmosphere, you just knew it would be, you just didn't know when."

It finally happened on Thursday night. At exactly 11:05 p.m. ET, students stormed the field from all directions, creating one giant mosh pit as Kool and the Gang's Celebration blared from the stadium's sound system. At midfield stood sophomore quarterback Mike Teel, basking in the glory and accepting congratulations from many of the same fans who were calling for his head less than a week ago. Behind Teel was his father, Mike Sr., reduced to tears by what he just witnessed.

"You had to be here to understand how far down this program was," said Mike Sr., a Jersey guy through and through. "This is all because of coach Schiano. He had a vision and three quarters of the people in this state thought he was crazy. Heck, at first I wasn't sure if I believed him. But the kids always believed and bought into everything. And look at this, it's everything this program could be and should be."

As the moving mosh pit literally swept him up and carried him off the field, Schiano took one look around him and felt at home. The same team that lost 56-5 at Louisville last year showed how quickly it turned the corner; a student body and a community got their introduction to big-time college football and Schiano's vision finally seemed like a reality.

Schiano coached at Penn State and Miami and with the Chicago Bears. But being from New Jersey, he always thought that Rutgers could become a national player. The talent was there, the facilities were there, all the school needed was a leader to bring everything together. Schiano saw what Joe Paterno did at Penn State and what Jim Calhoun did at Connecticut and knew it was possible at Rutgers. He jumped at the opportunity when the Rutgers job opened in 2000, and when he was hired Schiano truly believed it was the best job in the country.

"New Jersey has players as good as any and I knew if we could keep players here, we could build something," Schiano said. "I'm not going to lie, it was tough at first, but I always had faith and we stuck with the plan. This part of the country may not be used to a big-time college football experience, but after what happened tonight I think people will like it."

That's an understatement. A school-record crowd of 44,111 witnessed the biggest game in school history and years from now thousands more will claim they were here. Early on, when Louisville went up 25-7 with 6:34 remaining in the first half, it didn't seem like Rutgers was ready for the bright lights. But the Scarlet Knights' gritty defense stood tall and kept Rutgers in the game, and slowly the scrappy team from New Jersey showed its true grit.

Keep chipping away, Schiano told them, and they did. They crowd loved every moment of it and soon a team, a coach and a bunch of rabid fans who have never experienced anything like this were brimming with Jersey pride.

And that's what Schiano's real vision was: A bunch of hard work, determination and a stubbornness to filter out the criticism and stay on course. Perhaps no one could better appreciate what this means for Rutgers -- and for the state -- than a Jersey guy himself.

"This is what New Jersey needs," said Schiano. "There's a special breed of people in this state. If you're not from New Jersey you probably don't understand Jersey."

People are starting to understand Schiano's vision now and judging by the atmosphere on Thursday night, it's only the beginning.

I am hoping that Champs at the Ocean County Mall will NOW be carrying Rutgers items. I plan on going there tomorrow and checking them out. It'll be funny if they are, since I made such a big deal with them at the beginning of the season about not carrying Rutgers items.

davegering
11-10-2006, 03:59 AM
RU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

it was cool to see the empire state building in Scarlett. NY giving Jersey support and jumping on the band wagon who would have thought.

JerseyDevil
11-10-2006, 10:25 AM
I have one complaint though and that deals with the reporting - how many times do the announcers have to use the term New York area to describe New JERSEY???!!!! Sometimes it almost seemed as if New York had more of a stake in the game then New Jersey did. I think it was great that New York had the Empire State Building lit up in honor Rutgers - but Rutgers is the State University of New JERSEY - NOT New York.

It's no wonder when I travel around the US and into Canada, many people think that New Jersey is part of New York. :roll: But then again -what do we expect, most of the sports announcers have to come across the river to see most of the so-called "New York" games. It must really irritate them to know that while New York tries to claim great teams - New Jersey actually has them. :p

davegering
11-12-2006, 05:59 AM
It will be interesting to see what happens in the Polls today after loses by Texas Auburn and Cal and of cours Louisville. To bad Florida pulled it out in the end. RU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!

NJPRIDE
11-12-2006, 01:52 PM
# 7 in A.P. poll, # 8 in coaches poll. Next up Cincinnati on Saturday night at 7:45 on ESPN. Keep choppin R.U.! WEAR RED!:D

tifosiv122
11-12-2006, 07:50 PM
Even better, #6 in the BCS.

If next weekend is anything like this weekend we could very well move up even higher.

~RU '98-'02~

tifosiv122
11-12-2006, 08:01 PM
I have one complaint though and that deals with the reporting - how many times do the announcers have to use the term New York area to describe New JERSEY???!!!! Sometimes it almost seemed as if New York had more of a stake in the game then New Jersey did. I think it was great that New York had the Empire State Building lit up in honor Rutgers - but Rutgers is the State University of New JERSEY - NOT New York.

It's no wonder when I travel around the US and into Canada, many people think that New Jersey is part of New York. :roll: But then again -what do we expect, most of the sports announcers have to come across the river to see most of the so-called "New York" games. It must really irritate them to know that while New York tries to claim great teams - New Jersey actually has them. :p

I agree. They were sort of called out in this:

The Empire State Building was lit Scarlet Red for Thursday's game. I'm sorry New York City, if you never cared about college football for the first 137 seasons, you're not allowed to start now. Unlike the Giants and Jets, Rutgers belongs to Jersey. Besides NYC, I thought some of you were allegedly "Syracuse fans," or has that changed since Donovan McNabb left school?

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/6156054

It's ok, I moved out here to Michigan 3 years ago (Grad school) and everytime someone asks where I'm from because of my accent :rolleyes: I tell them 'Jersey', which they usually reply "Is that near New Jersey?". I can't stand the level of intelligence in the Mid-West. Can't wait to move back.

JerseyDevil
11-12-2006, 08:15 PM
Welcome tifosiv122 :wave:

I agree. They were sort of called out in this:

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/6156054

The Empire State Building was lit Scarlet Red for Thursday's game. I'm sorry New York City, if you never cared about college football for the first 137 seasons, you're not allowed to start now. Unlike the Giants and Jets, Rutgers belongs to Jersey. Besides NYC, I thought some of you were allegedly "Syracuse fans," or has that changed since Donovan McNabb left school?

They got one thing wrong in here though too - both Giants and Jets are New JERSEY teams. New York has nothing to do with these teams - other than BOTH of them decided to put NY back on their uniforms after having it off for about 30 years.

As for thinking that New Yorkers are Syracuse fans, they claim any New Jersey team that is winning. The NY news used to make fun of the Nets all the time when they were losing, once they started winning - all of a sudden they too became a "New York area" team. :roll:

It's ok, I moved out here to Michigan 3 years ago (Grad school) and everytime someone asks where I'm from because of my accent :rolleyes: I tell them 'Jersey', which they usually reply "Is that near New Jersey?". I can't stand the level of intelligence in the Mid-West. Can't wait to move back.
Yes, I lived in Indiana for a while - I have come into experiences with the intelligence. The one time I was with a friend and her brother - who is about 30, said something about me being from New York. I thought he was trying to give me a hard time and joking around with me. I said no - I'm from New Jersey. He replied with "Same thing there." At this point I thought he was downright insulting me - so I said - it is not. Then he made the comment that just had me rolling my eyes - "New Jersey is in New York." :roll: At this point I had to educate him on the geography of the area and that New Jersey was one of the original 13 colonies and was founded it in 1664 and was one of the original signers of the Declaration of Independence, and the Constitution. Of course this is all stuff that I thought people learned in elementary school. :roll:

tifosiv122
11-12-2006, 08:20 PM
At this point I had to educate him on the geography of the area and that New Jersey was one of the original 13 colonies and was founded it in 1664 and was one of the original signers of the Declaration of Independence, and the Constitution. Of course this is all stuff that I thought people learned in elementary school. :roll:

That's what I say when they bring up my accent. Now I don't have a Joisey accent, just a standard one from Central Jersey. I keep telling them that we were settled first so anyone outside has the accent, not us. It usually shuts them up. They like the way I say sauce. Go figure.

Don't forget the NY/NJ Metrostars which are now called Redbull NY or something like that.

JerseyDevil
11-12-2006, 08:30 PM
That's what I say when they bring up my accent. Now I don't have a Joisey accent, just a standard one from Central Jersey. I keep telling them that we were settled first so anyone outside has the accent, not us. It usually shuts them up. They like the way I say sauce. Go figure.

yes - I always got the "You don't sound like your from Joisey." Then I would have to go on about how that is more of a brooklyn accent, and is basically limited to the nothern area of New Jersey near New York.

Don't forget the NY/NJ Metrostars which are now called Redbull NY or something like that.

Oh - You don't have to tell me. That team has A LOT of nerve for doing that. They put NY on their uniforms as we were handing them a check for 85 million of our hard earned tax money so they can build their stadium in Harrison. :mad:

You can find otu more at these threads -

New JERSEY MetroStars renamed New YORK Red Bulls (http://forum.aboutnewjersey.com/showthread.php?t=297)
Giants new Stadium (http://forum.aboutnewjersey.com/showthread.php?t=116)
New Jersey Jets (http://forum.aboutnewjersey.com/showthread.php?t=141)
New Jersey Nets (http://forum.aboutnewjersey.com/showthread.php?t=633)

Those threads discuss how New Jersey gets walked all over by the professional teams, while our politicians sit by and let them.

davegering
11-18-2006, 08:47 AM
Can not get laxed now. As the coach says got to keep Chopping wood. And dont forget root for Michagan today it will help us. GO RU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tifosiv122
11-18-2006, 10:55 AM
I thought Pitt had a chance against WVU during halftime...guess I was wrong :(

Can't wait for tonight's game...it should be fun!

tifosiv122
11-18-2006, 01:44 PM
Can not get laxed now. As the coach says got to keep Chopping wood. And dont forget root for Michagan today it will help us. GO RU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually, that will hurt us. We need Ohio to blow MI out. See if MI wins, or it's a close game they will call for a rematch and that will end our chance.

For us to have a chance we need:
USC loses to Cal or UCLA, LSU beats Arkansas, Florida loses to Arkansas and USC beats Notre Dame. And, of course, Rutgers wins out.

davegering
11-18-2006, 04:22 PM
We are ahead of Ohio state in the coputer ranking. Right now it is Michagan Rutgers Ohio State on the computers If OS loses they will fall below us if Michagan Loses they may stay ahead based on strenght of schedule. My problem is I am also a USC fan and it is hard for me to roort for them to lose but i have to.

tifosiv122
11-18-2006, 06:40 PM
We are ahead of Ohio state in the coputer ranking. Right now it is Michagan Rutgers Ohio State on the computers If OS loses they will fall below us if Michagan Loses they may stay ahead based on strenght of schedule. My problem is I am also a USC fan and it is hard for me to roort for them to lose but i have to.

Yes, but that didn't matter...the computer rankings aren't enough, we needed the votes. If you watched the aftermath everyone is saying rematch. That's not good for us. The game was too close. :(

Hopefully if we run it and beat WVU hard they will give us a shot.

tifosiv122
11-18-2006, 10:13 PM
Well that just sucked.

MABL
11-22-2006, 09:19 AM
Go RU ! Despite the loss last week, scarlet fever on campus has never been higher. I've been working on the Piscataway campus for 4 years now and I've never experienced anything like this Fall season. It's great !

Now if only the national media will stop making like our campus is in mid-town Manhattan ! lol

JerseyDevil
11-25-2006, 11:48 PM
Go RU ! Despite the loss last week, scarlet fever on campus has never been higher. I've been working on the Piscataway campus for 4 years now and I've never experienced anything like this Fall season. It's great !

Now if only the national media will stop making like our campus is in mid-town Manhattan ! lol
Don't you know by now that New Yorkers and the media are geographically challenged? Must have something to do with their sucky school system across the river, they can't even tell where their own state line is. :roll:

davegering
11-28-2006, 07:17 AM
Glad to see you back JD hope you are feeling better. Finnally got my RUTGERS product in the store the day before Thanksgiving. TEEs Hoodies and hats. The Tees are almost sold out and they have already placed a reorder. It is amazing how many people are coming thru the airport with RUTGERS on as for the past 4 years i hardly saw any one. Lets hope Schimano stays and does not go back to Miami. can you say ORANGE BOWL for Rutgers.

NJPRIDE
11-28-2006, 08:31 PM
If R.U. wins Sat. night they may also end up in the Rose or Sugar bowl. If they lose they will be in the Texas bowl. R.U. shirts, hats, etc. are a hot item now, I hope it keeps up. Glad to see you are doing well selling R.U. stuff at your store Dave. R.U. season tickets went on sale yesterday for next season to new season ticket holders and they sold 3,500 setting a new single day record for new sales. The prices are $160.00-$240.00 for 8 home games. The place should be rocking next season also. Next up West Virgina Sat. night 7:45 on ESPN. Go R.U.

davegering
12-02-2006, 10:57 AM
GO RU !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MITHRANDIR
12-02-2006, 10:04 PM
GO RU !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Rutgers and West Virginia are going to overtime. (23-23)

Go Rutgers.

JerseyDevil
12-02-2006, 10:40 PM
Sadly Rutgers lost to WVU 41 - 39. But Rutgers has nothing to be ashamed of. It went into the 3rd overtime. It was a great game and all New Jerseyans should be proud of the Rutgers team!

MITHRANDIR
12-02-2006, 10:59 PM
Sadly Rutgers lost to WVU 41 - 39. But Rutgers has nothing to be ashamed of. It went into the 3rd overtime. It was a great game and all New Jerseyans should be proud of the Rutgers team!

I agree. Rutgers played well and shoud be pleased with their efforts this season. It would have been better if Rutgers won, but losing in Triple OT is not bad.

Unfortunately, when games go into OT, someone has to lose. (This time it was Rutgers)

MABL
12-03-2006, 01:58 PM
Definitely a good game by RU. Great season. Hopefully the foundation has been set, and we'll be having seasons like this one for many years to come. Hopefully our Jersey Boy Schiano doesn't fly down to Florida for the Miami job, cause he has a chance to build a legacy and a name for himself here at home.

Bring on the Texas Bowl !

davegering
12-04-2006, 06:23 PM
Schiano is staying just saw on Nj network News and on ESPN Next Up Kansas State. It was said that a local station will pick up the Texas Bowl so everyone in Jersey will be able to see it.

Rutgers coach says he's staying, not interested in Miami

By DAVID PORTER, Associated Press Writer
December 4, 2006

PISCATAWAY, N.J. (AP) -- After weeks of speculation about his future, Rutgers coach Greg Schiano decided to stay at home.

Amid talk he might return to Miami to take over the troubled program, Schiano told Hurricanes athletic director Paul Dee on Monday to take his name off a list of coaching candidates.

ADVERTISEMENT

"Rutgers is where I am going to be and Rutgers is where I want to be. I am not a candidate for that job and I won't be a candidate for that job," Schiano said.

Schiano, a New Jersey native, who was Miami's defensive coordinator in 1999 and 2000. Miami coach Larry Coker was fired after going 6-6 in the regular season.

Schiano has orchestrated No. 16 Rutgers' rise from one of the nation's lowliest programs in the past six seasons, and led the team to its first bowl appearance in 27 years in 2005.

At 10-2 (5-2 Big East) this season after winning their first nine games, the Scarlet Knights are headed to a Texas Bowl matchup against Kansas State. Rutgers narrowly missed the Bowl Championship Series and a likely Orange Bowl appearance by losing Saturday night in triple overtime at West Virginia.

As Rutgers continued to win this season and Coker's position became more tenuous, speculation grew that Schiano was one of the top candidates, perhaps even No. 1, for the Hurricanes job.

Schiano never wavered from the message that he was happy at Rutgers and looking forward to the program's continued growth -- yet he never explicitly said he would stay at the school.

That only fueled more rumors, which persisted through the West Virginia game and into Monday.

"People kept asking if it was a distraction for the players during the season, but I knew once Saturday came that we needed to address it and that's exactly what happened," Schiano said.

Schiano said he had not signed a new contract with Rutgers, but said his agent is in discussions with Rutgers officials. He made $191,000 last year before athletic director Robert Mulcahy gave him a seven-year extension that will max out at $350,000 by 2012.

The extension raised Schiano's annual income from private sources from $325,000 to $625,000. With incentives, his total compensation is in the $1 million range.

Coker, meanwhile, had three seasons left on a contract that paid him about $2 million annually.

Schiano had previously hinted that money issues were secondary to Rutgers committing to make the upgrades necessary to field a top-10 caliber team.

At the top of his current wish list is an expansion of 41,500-seat Rutgers Stadium. Several home games were sellouts this season, including the final two games in which temporary bleachers added 2,000 seats to the south end zone. Season ticket sales have already increased by 5,000 for next season, Schiano said Monday.

He added that school officials "are all on the same page with what we want to build here."

"We just need to keep moving forward. There are people committed at Rutgers to taking it to the level we're talking about. That's what's important to me," he said.

With the 40-year-old Schiano now considered a hot commodity in coaching circles, Miami doesn't figure to be the last school to come calling. Already there are whispers that Schiano has his eye on replacing Joe Paterno at Penn State, another program where he was an assistant.

For now, Schiano's enthusiasm for his current job remains boundless.

"We're just scratching the surface here at Rutgers," Schiano said. "The sky's the limit. We're going to do great things here. We haven't done it yet. The seniors have laid the foundation for really, really big things. We've recruited really great young guys in this program and this is home."

Updated on Monday, Dec 4, 2006 5:37 pm EST

Email to a Friend | View Popular

Sponsor Results
Rutgers University Scarlet Knights Shop
Great gifts for Rutgers Scarlet Knights fans; men, women and kids.
www.footballfanatics.com

tifosiv122
12-05-2006, 08:10 AM
That's great to hear, I give him a ton of credit, most would take more money and run.

davegering
12-07-2006, 10:16 AM
We still get no respect. We need to find out who we can write. I will probably try to find a spot to watch the game. I have Comcast but not the digital package and I dont want the digital package.

Rutgers scrambling to solve Texas Bowl TV dilemma

By DAVID PORTER, Associated Press Writer
December 6, 2006

NEWARK, N.J. (AP) -- Rutgers football fans hoping to watch their team in the Texas Bowl later this month may be better off going to Manhattan -- the one in Kansas, that is.

The hometown of bowl opponent Kansas State is likely to have better coverage since the NFL Network, which has exclusive rights to televise the game, is not carried on two cable companies that serve more than 1 million of New Jersey's 2.5 million cable subscribers, not to mention most of New York City.

ADVERTISEMENT

With No. 16 Rutgers suddenly at the flashpoint of the dispute between the NFL Network and cable operators Time Warner and Cablevision, New Jersey Sen. Frank Lautenberg sent a letter to the NFL on Wednesday urging the league to allow the Dec. 28 game to be shown on local television.

"Rutgers fans and the people of New Jersey do not deserve to be punished or used as a bargaining chip in that dispute," Lautenberg wrote.

Through spokesman Seth Palansky, the NFL Network said a solution will depend on an agreement between the network and the cable providers.

"As the senator recognizes, we have repeatedly offered to make not only this Rutgers game, but all NFL Network programming available broadly throughout New Jersey," Palansky said. "We regret that Time Warner and Cablevision have not yet agreed to carry NFL Network, but we will continue to work as hard as we can to resolve this commercial dispute as soon as possible."

That isn't likely to happen in the next three weeks. According to Time Warner cable spokesman Mark Harrad, the NFL Network wants cable providers to offer it as part of a basic cable package rather than as a premium service, an idea he said would force Time Warner to raise rates for all subscribers to cover the network's $140 million price tag.

"The NFL Network is asking for a price that would make it one of the top five networks in terms of audience," Harrad said, comparing it to networks such as Disney, ESPN and TNT. "But they're not a network that has shown broad ratings or broad appeal. That doesn't mean we don't want to offer it, because there are definitely customers who will want to pay more to get the NFL Network."

In his letter to NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell and NFL Network President Steve Bornstein, Lautenberg asked the league to apply the same policy for the Texas Bowl that it uses for its eight NFL telecasts this season. Those games are also broadcast locally by network affiliates.

Officials from Rutgers and the Big East are searching for a way that a local broadcaster such as MSG Network or Secaucus-based WOR Channel 9 could show the game.

That would require changing the NFL's broadcast agreement with the Texas Bowl, and Palansky said the league has no plans to alter that agreement.

Barring that, Rutgers fans could be forced to find bars or restaurants that have satellite feeds, since the NFL Network is carried on DirecTV and the Dish Network.

Comcast, the largest cable company in the country, carries the NFL Network on its digital service that is used by about 7 million of its 24 million subscribers. Comcast is the largest cable provider in New Jersey with about 1.3 million subscribers.

Oddly, Rutgers' men's basketball game against North Carolina will be broadcast on ESPN2 at the same time as the bowl game.

A notice on the Texas Bowl Web site didn't offer much hope for New Jerseyans, though it did suggest a call to action.

"NFL Network is the exclusive broadcaster of the Texas Bowl," it read. "The Texas Bowl can only be seen on NFL Network. If you don't have NFL Network, you won't get the Texas Bowl. Call your local cable provider and ask for NFL Network now."

MABL
12-08-2006, 07:52 AM
Weak. I don't have cable, so I'm screwed either way. But it's my own fault, if you want to watch sports these days you have to buy cable or get a dish.

Miami is also trying to save face on the whole Schiano thing. They're saying he asked for 3 things before saying no:

1) Money
2) For Miami to lower their academic standards for players (LOL What, so anyone off the street can get in ???)
3) Improved athletic facilities

Sounds to me like a bunch of spin. How can he pick Rutgers over our vaunted program ?

I also think those Schiano to Penn State rumors are bunk. Joe Pa ain't going no where, and why would he go to Penn if he has a history with Miami and declined them ?

davegering
12-11-2006, 05:20 PM
Rutgers product is selling like crazy. Sold out of my first shipment of t-shirts and got restocked on friday. We also have Kids and infant sizes along with hats and Hoodies. Rutgers fevor is alive and well at Newark Airport. GO KNIGHTS!!!!!!!!!!!

NJPRIDE
12-11-2006, 08:24 PM
Hopefully Rutgers fevor will spread even more leading up to the bowl game. I for one feel good about the game and think R.U. will earn it first of many bowl victorys under Graig Schiano. I have alot of faith in this coach and feel he will be around for a long time. I also hope some of his Jersey pride rubs off on some people. What he has done has been great for the state!:D

MITHRANDIR
12-12-2006, 11:22 PM
We still get no respect. We need to find out who we can write. I will probably try to find a spot to watch the game. I have Comcast but not the digital package and I dont want the digital package.

Rutgers scrambling to solve Texas Bowl TV dilemma

Problem solved. (For now.) While I do like NFL network, If I had a choice, I would rather not have the NFL Network, If it would prevent a rise in my Satellite (or cable) Bill. (I would probably prefer to only have & pay for about 12-15 channels [that I watch], instead of 80-120 channels of junk.)

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/13/sports/ncaafootball/13rutgers.html?_r=1&oref=slogin
December 13, 2006
College Football Roundup
Rutgers Is in the Center of a Cable Tug of War
By RICHARD SANDOMIR

The NFL Network has offered Time Warner and Cablevision an opportunity for their New York-New Jersey subscribers to see Rutgers play Kansas State in the Texas Bowl on Dec. 28 if they accept the network’s weeklong free preview.

Yesterday, Time Warner and Cablevision — with about 4.5 million customers in the local market — did not show enthusiasm for the offer. Cablevision’s response showed that it did not want to give the channel much exposure.

Cablevision said it would carry only the pregame programming before the Texas Bowl, the game and any postgame coverage, not the full week from Dec. 24 to Dec. 30. It would be available to Cablevision’s Family Cable customers on Channel 14.

In doing so, Cablevision would eliminate the NFL Network’s hope of showing the breadth of its programming to customers who had not seen it and might demand it from Time Warner and Cablevision.

Maureen Huff, a Time Warner spokeswoman, said, “We just received the proposal and are looking at it.” She declined to say whether Time Warner was considering the same limited response as Cablevision.

League spokesmen refused to comment on whether Cablevision’s response violated the terms of the weeklong offer. “We will review their full response,” said Joe Browne, a spokesman.

Time Warner and Cablevision have refused to carry the NFL Network, at a monthly subscriber fee of 70 cents, on a broadly available tier like expanded basic.

The free preview, a common marketing tool in cable, especially for movie channels, was offered by Roger Goodell, the commissioner of the National Football League, during a telephone conversation yesterday with Senator Frank R. Lautenberg, Democrat of New Jersey. The league has received several hundred phone calls from fans who want to see the Rutgers-Kansas State bowl game.

Lautenberg has been lobbying the league to broaden the coverage of the Texas Bowl ever since it appeared possible that Rutgers would play in it. “The bottom line is that people in New Jersey need to be able to watch Rutgers play, and now we have a way to do that,” Lautenberg said in a statement.

The league chose to provide the free preview rather than license the game to local broadcast stations in the New York-New Jersey or Manhattan, Kan., areas, or stream it to broadband Internet users on NFL.com.

ANOTHER HONOR FOR SCHIANO Rutgers Coach Greg Schiano was named the Walter Camp Football Foundation 2006 Coach of the Year yesterday. The Scarlet Knights (10-2) reached 10 victories for only the second time in the team’s 137-year history. Rutgers also earned its first national top-10 ranking.

Schiano is the second Rutgers coach and the first Big East Conference coach since 1999 to earn the honor.

He has been coach for six years and also serves as defensive coordinator. The Scarlet Knights rank seventh nationally in scoring defense (14.7 points allowed a game) and ninth in total defense (259.7 yards allowed a game.)

Schiano has taken Rutgers to consecutive bowl berths and led the team to a 17-7 record the last two seasons. He was recently recognized as the 2006 Big East coach of the year and the Home Depot national coach of the year.

The Walter Camp recipient is voted by the nation’s 119 Division I-A coaches and sports information directors.

Schiano; Ohio State’s Troy Smith, who was named player of the year; and the members of the 2006 Walter Camp All-American team will be honored Jan. 13 at a dinner at the Yale University Commons in New Haven. (AP)

MABL
12-14-2006, 06:59 AM
Good for Cablevision subscribers, hopefully the NFL network doesn't cram the entire week down their throats as well. Cablevision wants the NFL Sunday Ticket (exclusive to DirectTV), which is why they are balking on the rather paltry NFL network, in terms of actual live football games.

Lautenberg wanted to get the Rutgers bowl game on broadcast TV, but doesn't look like he was able to get past the big money cable companies. At least he got the NFL network to provide it to those companies that currently are not carrying the channel.

And high five to Schiano for getting the Coach of the Year award !!! GO RU !!!

davegering
01-01-2007, 10:54 AM
Good way to end the season with Our first Bowl win to bad We are Not playing tommorow but that will be next Year. This should set us up well for the pre season polls next year and a chance to get to a bigger bowl. All in all a great season for the KNIGHTS.

MITHRANDIR
01-05-2007, 08:53 PM
Good way to end the season with Our first Bowl win to bad We are Not playing tommorow but that will be next Year. This should set us up well for the pre season polls next year and a chance to get to a bigger bowl. All in all a great season for the KNIGHTS.

It was a good knight to be had by all except for the team from Kansas. ;)

MABL
01-06-2007, 06:43 AM
Yeah, other than the returned kickoff and 2 missed FGs, RU had one of the most dominating performances so far in the bowl season. It was also good to see the other Big East teams like Louisville, West Virginia, and South Florida bring home wins to strengthen the conference nationally. Can't wait for next year already. Rice for Heisman !

NJPRIDE
02-10-2007, 08:51 AM
If anyone has seen the Star Ledger ad for the book they have put out about this past season I suggest getting it. 160 pages and covers the entire season from the North Carolina game through the bowl game. Alot of the pictures in the book were not published during the season. It is now in its second printing and is available only to New Jersey residents. Got mine as a Christmas present. Also R.U. signed its best class of recruits in its history this week. It looks like another great season is ahead of us. :D

JerseyDevil
08-30-2007, 07:23 PM
Well tonight is the first game of the Rutgers season - so far it looks good! 28- 0 as I'm writing this. So is anyone going to any of the games this year? I know season tickets are hard to come by now - but that is what happens when a team starts winning.

Let's Go RUTGERS!!!

BTW - you can order the Rutgers Football book (http://www.aboutnewjersey.com/Store/RUPress/bookDetail.php?bookID=185) that comes out in November at the AboutNewJersey.com Online Bookstore at a 20% discount. AboutNewJersey.com and Rutgers University Press recently partnered and we will be carrying New Jersey related books from their catalog. So order today!!

NJPRIDE
09-01-2007, 12:49 AM
I am one of the lucky ones I guess, I renewed my season tickets from last season and was also able to add two seats for a total of four. I was there last night and will be there for all games this year! I even got a new R.U. football jersey from my wife for this season because my old jersey was autographed by Brian Leonard, then I bought a Texas bowl patch and sewed that on it, then I framed the jersey and now it is hanging on the wall over my desk. Next up is Navy on Friday night, 8:00 pm on ESPN. It should be another enjoyable season. Remember wear RED on Fridays. GO R.U.

Bayshore Brawlers
09-09-2007, 02:57 PM
I will be attending my first RU game of the season when they take on the Norfolk State Spartans.

WEAR RED!!!

JerseyDevil
09-10-2007, 02:11 AM
I will be attending my first RU game of the season when they take on the Norfolk State Spartans.

WEAR RED!!!
I really have to get up to a game this year. Of course it never seems like I have any time.

If anyone is wondering what I am trying to do for New Jersey - this article about the attitude toward Rutgers shows what I'm trying to do.

ROOTING FOR RUTGERS (http://www.c-n.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070831/NEWS/708310316)
Fans don red, hope for repeat season while supporting Rutgers at opener against Buffalo.
By RICK MALWITZ
Staff Writer

PISCATAWAY -- Encore! Encore! Encore!

What some Rutgers football fans called for when the red team took the field Thursday night against Buffalo is simply more of the same.

"They don't even have to improve on last year," said Bill Rella, a senior from Ramsey, looking back to last year's 11-2 record, and the first bowl victory in school history.

Others had something more in mind, including students wearing red T-shirts with the optimistic message: "12-0. Only Three Months To Go."

But one thing Rutgers fans could agree on was how it was a summer to remember, when wearing anything red and Rutgers was a conversation starter.

Wearing her red Rutgers shirt, said Jessica Stephens, a junior from Point Pleasant Beach, meant strangers saying with envy, "Oh, my God, you go to Rutgers."

Retired Union County Superior Court Judge Lawrence Weiss said he had a lobster dinner in Cape Cod interrupted when someone noticed the "R" on his hat, and struck up a conversation.

When someone noticed Nick Burzichelli, a 1984 graduate, wearing a Rutgers golf shirt on the Atlantic City boardwalk, a Rutgers' cheer broke out.

This was the summer Warren and Ruth Seibert's family, of Belvidere, became a Rutgers' family. Their oldest son Caleb, 14, began playing youth football, and already has a broken arm to show for it.

"It was time for him to pick a team to root for, and Rutgers is it," explained his father, who was attending his first Rutgers game, after having ignored the team when he was attending New Brunswick Seminary.

Bill Loughney, a junior from Piscataway, recalled how when he was a kid in town he could walk into Rutgers Stadium without a ticket.

"It was typical New Jersey apathetic," he said. "Now, it's great to talk Rutgers to my college friends," Loughney said.

Last night, he wore a hard hat and construction vest, as a member of the Road Crew -- a group of students that makes its presence known at home and away games. Loughney and Michael Shafai, a junior from Freehold, spent the summer text-messaging each other with a countdown to kickoff, beginning when there were 200 days until last night's season opener.

Chris Lugo of Edison, a 1998 graduate, recalled how Rutgers was part of the college football conversation when he attended here. "What you heard back then was, "Oh, my God, I can't believe we lost that bad to Virginia Tech."

In Lugo's senior year Rutgers opened the season with a 59-19 loss to Virginia Tech, and finished the season without a win in 11 games. Last year Rutgers became the feel-good story of the fall, finishing 11-2, and winning the Texas Bowl.

This season began with unprecedented expectations, with Rutgers ranked No. 16 in the USA Today and Associated Press preseason polls. Sports Illustrated made Rutgers part of the Rose Bowl conversation.

It was something Lugo insists he always thought possible. "In the largest media market of the world -- the geography, the size of the school -- I thought it would happen and I'm glad it's finally here," he said, tailgating in the yellow lot.

Tailgating partner Bob Graser of Iselin, a 1991 Rutgers graduate, recalled attending graduate school at the University of Miami, when that school was on top of the college football world.

"It's nice to see the anticipation here," said Glaser, who consumed as much news about Rutgers football that the modern media could deliver this summer in newspapers, the Internet and on blogs.

One of the benefits of the positive news about the football team, Glaser said, has been a spillover effect.

"You're reading more stories about Rutgers' academics. The (football) program's given much energy to the school," he said.

Glaser's college roommate Jeff Pasternak had the good fortune of visiting New Jersey this week from Rochester, Minn, where he works at the Mayo Clinic, and Glaser was able to secure him a ticket.

What the Rutgers football team did, Pasternak said, was raise the profile of his alma mater like nothing before.

"You're quite proud to say you're a Rutgers graduate," Pasternak said.

#

Rick Malwitz can be reached at (732) 565-7291 or rmalwitz@thnt.com.

It's about time New Jersey showed some pride in itself. Rutgers is something we can rally around right now, but we should show more pride in our state as a whole.

BTW - I went into Champs last week and they are carrying more Rutgers items. They have a really nice sweatshirt I want.

I went into Modells about a month ago and they had their table top mannequin wearing a Louisville shirt - Rutgers shirts were on the table - so I took a Rutgers shirt and laid it over the Louisville shirt. My cousin couldn't believe I did that. This is the type of thing you would never see in other states. They would make sure they advertised their home state team!

davegering
10-20-2007, 06:54 AM
RUTGERS is back. Long game Thursday night but it was worth staying up for. A win against West virginia next week and we are looking pretty for a BCS bowl shot. GO RU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NJPRIDE
10-20-2007, 11:28 AM
I wonder how much my 4 tickets for the R.U. - W.V.U. game next Sat. could be sold for now after the big win over South Florida. On the other hand my wife and I will be using 2 of them. GO RUTGERS!

davegering
10-20-2007, 12:17 PM
Anywhere from 150-1250 a piece on stubhub.com check it out