PDA

View Full Version : Greatest NJ Sports Figures

JerseyDevil
06-06-2006, 06:01 PM
Here is where you can post about who you think should be included in the Sports figure category. Pleasse give a reason why, since not everyone may be familiar with the person's accomplishments.

MITHRANDIR
08-06-2006, 12:14 PM
Here is where you can post about who you think should be included in the Sports figure category. Pleasse give a reason why, since not everyone may be familiar with the person's accomplishments.

MARTIN BRODEUR #30 NJ Devils

Games played 813
Wins 446
Losses 240
Ties 105
Shut Outs 80
Goals Against Average 2.21
Save% 91.2%

He was a large reason behind winning 3 Stanley with the NJ Devils. If his career continues for another 2-3 years he will be among the top 5 Goaltenders in several categories.

Has played for 13 years.

http://www.nhl.com/players/8455710.html
Information from NHL.com

He has scored a goal.

JerseyDevil
08-06-2006, 04:14 PM
Does he actually live here? I know he's from Canada, and that he obviously "lives' here when they play, but there are strict rules that the NJ Hall of Fame has set up that determines if someone is a New Jerseyan. They do not want people discrediting the inductees. Thy must be true New Jerseyans, by either being born here or living here for a number of years (I believe it is 10 years, but I have to check.)

MITHRANDIR
08-06-2006, 05:14 PM
Does he actually live here? I know he's from Canada, and that he obviously "lives' here when they play, but there are strict rules that the NJ Hall of Fame has set up that determines if someone is a New Jerseyan. They do not want people discrediting the inductees. Thy must be true New Jerseyans, by either being born here or living here for a number of years (I believe it is 10 years, but I have to check.)

Sorry about that. I did not read the criteria carefully enough.

JerseyDevil
08-06-2006, 06:20 PM
Sorry about that. I did not read the criteria carefully enough.
Nothing to be sorry for. YOu can still suggest him, just don't know if he's actually eligible.

usv8lover
08-20-2006, 04:16 PM
Jim Dowd (born in Brick) played for the Devils! And he was there for the first Stanley Cup win. Definitely worth mentioning.

Dick Button was an ice skater born in Englewood, New Jersey.
He was a five time world champion and gold medal winner in two Olympics.

I want to say there was a famous female ice skater...but the brain cells and neurons don't seem to be firing...

usv8lover
08-20-2006, 04:26 PM
Elaine Zayak! She's already in the NJ Sports Hall of Fame...

131 Dukes St.
06-27-2007, 09:58 AM
The Trophy was named afted him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NewarkDevil5
07-17-2007, 03:18 PM
Shaquille O'Neal was born in Newark.

Jersey Warren
07-09-2008, 11:13 AM
I voted for Yogi Berra because I saw him play for the Yankees when I was a kid and because he always stayed in New Jersey (though he was a St. Louis native.)

Vince Lombardi was a sports great and started in New Jersey (at St. Cecelia's High School in Englewood) but he achieved his greatest fame in Green Bay. Though I'm glad his family had him buried in New Jersey.

When I was a kid, Yogi Berra and Phil Rizzuto were partners in a bowling alley; I think it was on Route 46 in Clifton. Yogi was also part owner of the Yoo-Hoo chocolate beverage company, which used to be in New Jersey.

davegering
07-11-2008, 07:02 PM
Tom Kelly and Jack Mckeon both World Series Champion Managers went to my alma mata Saint Mary's of south amboy. Allie Clark who was the last player to wear Number 3 Babe Ruths Number for the Yankees) also went to Saint Mary's