PDA

View Full Version : Culture and Heritage of New Jersey

JerseyDevil
04-29-2006, 08:02 PM
I had the thought of this thread the other day while watching a travel show on Sweden. There is this sense of pride in so many people's countries and yet, so few New Jerseyans know about the heritage and culture of New Jersey. I would seriously like to change that. The celebrate their culture and their heritage.

Do people know about the first settlers to New Jersey? New Sweden? New Netherlands? The Leni Lenape Indians? Do people know that during colonial times the governor of New York, had the governor of New Jersey kidnapped in the middle of the night and jailed for not listening to what he said? Do people know ALL the names that New Jersey has had throughout the centuries? Do people know that during colonial times, New Jersey was a place of freedom, especially religious freedom, while the other colonies were ruled by particular groups.

New Jersey is a great state, with a great heritage and a great culture. We are not the Sopranos, we are the descendants of years of immigration, from the indians to the european settlers to the many nations that came through Ellis Island and after.

NJPRIDE
04-29-2006, 10:48 PM
This is what next Saturdays N.J. State history fair is for . We all need to learn more about our state . This fair in its 3rd year is a good start to opening N.J.s eyes .:D

JerseyDevil
04-29-2006, 11:04 PM
This is what next Saturdays N.J. State history fair is for . We all need to learn more about our state . This fair in its 3rd year is a good start to opening N.J.s eyes .:D
It leaves out a lot of NJ history - especially colonial history. Tehy do not have any swedish reenactors or anything like that there.

svenk
05-16-2008, 05:55 PM
I totally agree that each and every one of us should take a certian amount of pride in where we come from and understand how it all happened. But history often has a way of being divisive but other than that, it is a good idea to take a moment and think of someone else besides ourselves, if not our neighbours, then at least our forefathers.

simplosys
09-09-2008, 11:28 AM
I whole heartedly agree with you. We all should proud of our state since it left out a lot of history for us to study. We must spend some time to learn about our state.

OliviaM
11-21-2008, 06:05 AM
problem is, the youngsters seem to be losing interest with local history.

simplosys
01-18-2009, 11:13 AM
Hi Olivia,
I generally visit this forum once a month and have to say that I sadly agree with you. I am neither too old nor too young, you know, just plumb in the middle between the two. I guess there is not much we can do about this except to blame the play stations and the techno blitz that we are all currently under. The only thing that we can do is adapt by using somme of the same technology to garner much wanted public interest.

Warren James
03-01-2010, 04:56 AM
New Jersey offers cultural and natural resource opportunities for everyone. Find recreation along scenic rivers, trails, and amusement parks.

You can relax and have fun in the urban recreation areas. New Jersey also is an example of cooperation among various groups to protect ecological areas in balance with development.

Dealay
03-18-2011, 01:49 PM
Quote: