PDA

View Full Version : The New Jersey Condiment Rules

Jersey Warren
04-21-2006, 03:34 PM
I participated in a food discussion board for about 5 years. Because people posted on the board from all over the U.S. (and also Canada and Australia) their regional tastes affected their food preferences. As a lark, I created what I called the New Jersey Condiment rules, which all loyal native New Jerseyans were expected to observe:

mustard goes on pink meat (such as ham, bologna, and hot dogs)

mayonnaise goes on white meats such as chicken and turkey, tuna, and potato and noodle salad.

ketchup goes on hamburgers, French fries, and (possibly) meatloaf and cube steak sandwiches.

I told the other board members that if you broke the New Jersey condiment rules (such as by putting mayo on pink meat) they charged you double tolls on the Garden State Parkway!:D

JerseyDevil
04-22-2006, 02:33 PM
~~~~
I told the other board members that if you broke the New Jersey condiment rules (such as by putting mayo on pink meat) they charged you double tolls on the Garden State Parkway!:D
Sorry JW - I have to disagree with this one. :) I agree, while growing up, I was basically the ONLY one in 2nd grade who put ketchup on their hotdog, now many New Jerseyans do (they all followed my lead). I was born and raised here and I'm a proud hotdog/ketchup eater. :p

Jersey Warren
04-22-2006, 10:32 PM
Sorry JW - I have to disagree with this one. :) I agree, while growing up, I was basically the ONLY one in 2nd grade who put ketchup on their hotdog, now many New Jerseyans do (they all followed my lead). I was born and raised here and I'm a proud hotdog/ketchup eater. :p

My wife, a native of Lynn, Massachusetts who lived in New Jersey twice in the 60s and 70s is also a ketchup on a hotdog eater. She simply does not like mustard at all!

By the way. do they still make Pride of the Farm ketchup? My mother always bought that brand when I was a kid. It came from Bridgeton, NJ, in the heart of Jersey tomato country.

JerseyDevil
04-22-2006, 10:36 PM
By the way. do they still make Pride of the Farm ketchup? My mother always bought that brand when I was a kid. It came from Bridgeton, NJ, in the heart of Jersey tomato country.
If they do, I haven't seen it. They may sell it in southern NJ though. I'll look beause whenever possible I try to buy New JERSEY products, especially farm products because it helps our farmers keep the farms going.

131 Dukes St.
06-28-2007, 10:05 AM
Mustard and Ketchup always go on an Italian Hot Dog.

Baby_mo
08-05-2007, 01:33 AM
I participated in a food discussion board for about 5 years. Because people posted on the board from all over the U.S. (and also Canada and Australia) their regional tastes affected their food preferences. As a lark, I created what I called the New Jersey Condiment rules, which all loyal native New Jerseyans were expected to observe:

mayonnaise goes on white meats such as chicken and turkey, tuna, and potato and noodle salad.

ketchup goes on hamburgers, French fries, and (possibly) meatloaf and cube steak sandwiches.

If I follow the rules, do I belong?:D

Jersey Warren
03-01-2012, 03:29 PM
My wife, a native of Lynn, Massachusetts who lived in New Jersey twice in the 60s and 70s is also a ketchup on a hotdog eater. She simply does not like mustard at all!

The ketchup may no longer be around, but someone is selling a couple of their old bottles. You can see "Bridgeton, N.J." on the labels.

http://www.ebay.com:80/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320839882176+&item=320839882176&lgeo=1&vectorid=229466

MITHRANDIR
04-07-2013, 08:33 PM
the New Jersey Condiment rules:

Except for tuna, I do not care for mayonnaise. Mustard is fine with white meats or tuna.

Hot dogs are fine with ketchup or mustard.

I guess I'll get stuck with high tolls. Good thing I can avoid many of them with careful planning. :p