PDA

View Full Version : Are there many "Jerseyans-in-exile" here?

Jersey Warren
04-13-2006, 02:39 PM
I was wondering how many of you still live in the Garden State and how many live elsewhere.

It is ironic that someone who loves New Jersey as much as I do has now lived over half his life outside New Jersey, but as they say: "Life is what happens to you while you're making plans."

I left New Jersey in 1970 for Manhattan, moved to Massachusetts in 1972, to Los Angeles County in 1989, to Texas in 1992, to New Orleans for five weeks in 1992, then back to the Dallas area. I moved to Wisconsin in 1997 and to Florida in 2004.

I still have my mother, three brothers, and several nieces and nephews in Ocean and Monmouth Counties.

Like most exiled New Jerseyans, my first order of business upon leaving the area in 1972 was to secure a supply of Taylor Pork Roll. Amazingly, I can now buy it in my supermarket in Florida, the first place I have lived where it was available since leaving New York.

My greatest source of Jersey pride in recent years was when Jeremy Glick, who lived in my old town of Upper Saddle River, and Todd Beamer, another Jerseyan, were among the heroes on Flight 93. I told people at the time, that one subject they didn't teach at al Qaeda training school was: "Never try to push around people from New Jersey because they'll push right back!"

DebbieSans
04-17-2006, 02:45 PM
Hi Warren,

I was born, raised and lived in Bergen County til I moved down to Somerset County when I was in my late 20s. I've been in Somerset now for about 12 years. Oops...kinda gave away my age there ;)

Regards,
Debbie

Jersey Warren
04-18-2006, 08:58 AM
Hi Debbie,

I'm glad to hear from you. I posted regularly on a food and recipe website for about 6 years, but after awhile it got repetitious and tiresome. (One ongoing "argument" I had with a woman from Maine was over which state, New Jersey or Maine, had better blueberries!)

I only recently discovered this board, which covers subject areas truly dear to me, and it seems like it's lots of fun, too.

Even after leaving New Jersey in 1970 I made regular visits back until I left the Northeast for California in 1989. Now, I only get back every couple of years. The area of Florida where I live (in the Panhandle, about 45 miles East of Pensacola) looks a lot like the Jersey Pine Barrens. We're just 25 miles from the Gulf of Mexico at Fort Walton Beach.

I thought I knew a lot about all of New Jersey, but Somerset County isn't a county you hear a lot about. I guess that's because it's tucked away in the middle of the state. (Sort of like Paraguay, in South America.) However, back when Jackie Onassis was alive, you used to hear about her going to Peapack for fox hunting and riding quite often.

I picture Somerset County as looking a lot like the horse farm country of Virginia beautiful colonial homes set on multi-acre lots. The kind of place where there is both a Mercedes and a pickup to pull the horse trailer in the driveway. How am I doing? Pretty good guess, or not?

Anyway, I'm glad to make your acquaintance!

Best regards,
Warren

DebbieSans
04-18-2006, 05:41 PM
I picture Somerset County as looking a lot like the horse farm country of Virginia beautiful colonial homes set on multi-acre lots. The kind of place where there is both a Mercedes and a pickup to pull the horse trailer in the driveway. How am I doing? Pretty good guess, or not?

Hi Warren,

I would have to say that Somerset County is a mixed bag, just like the rest of Jersey. There are definitely areas like what you've described above (Tewskbury and Peapack come to mind...in fact, I used to take riding lessons out that way, and the trails often wound through the properties of incredible, multi-million dollar homes), and there's still a lot of open farmland left although it's developed a LOT in the 12 years I've been here. As I write this, I'm looking out on about 20 acres of meadow and my neighbors cows...yet a three minute drive takes me to Rt. 206, Shoprite, and mini malls...which I don't particularly mind because of the convenience.

It's nice to "meet" you too :)

Debbie

Marianita
05-02-2006, 05:47 PM
Hi Jersey Warren, Ofcourse I am much more familiar with Burlington county as my son lives there but I think I am getting well edcuated on this site and the magazines I receive like New Jersey Monthly. As regards Burlington county I find it impressive. There is the Promenade for one. The circle is nearby and will take you anywhere you want to go. lol. Everything is so nice and well kept. The city of Marlton is small but has everything to offer. I know it is in Evesham township.
It was really funny talking to my son today. He was on his way home from work. I said,''Let me guess. You are now in Cinnaminson'' He said,''No.'' I said,''Ok then, Maple Shade.'' He said,''no.'' I said,''Marlton?'' He said,''close.'' I said,''Oh you are in Mt Holly.'' And sure enough he was. I started to say Vorhees but realized that wasn't right. By the way Dave he is purchasing my plane ticket tonight. I need to know what days you work and the hours so we can go visit you at the Jersey store. Marianita

Marianita
05-02-2006, 05:56 PM
I thought about your question, Dave, and concluded that I definitely fit that catagory. I am in exile until I visit again. In August when my feet were on Jersey soil and I saw all the Jersey license plates I felt a wonderful sense of coming home. I will have 3 weekends there this time and we have so much planned. I would say I am in exile. wouldn't you? Marianita:)

JerseyDevil
05-02-2006, 07:09 PM
I thought about your question, Dave, and concluded that I definitely fit that catagory. I am in exile until I visit again. In August when my feet were on Jersey soil and I saw all the Jersey license plates I felt a wonderful sense of coming home. I will have 3 weekends there this time and we have so much planned. I would say I am in exile. wouldn't you? Marianita:)
Marianita -

You really need to move to New Jersey. :D So do you think you'll retire here?

I used to be a "Jerseyan-in-exile" - then I finally came back. People used to constantly tell me - "well it's so much better there, then why don't you just move back" which is what I told them I would do and exactly what I did. :) It's good to be home again.

Marianita
05-02-2006, 08:56 PM
Hi Dave, I have been thinking about it. I hope to live there after retirement. My son and daughter-in-law would love that. I really feel it is a possibility. And who knows? I may do it sooner. It has been on my mind and heart for a long time. Marianita

Jersey Warren
05-19-2006, 01:53 PM
Believe it or not, I actually started thinking about returning to New Jersey within a year of leaving in 1970! Then why aren't I back yet? Good question.

I tried on-and-off for years. I spent many entire vacations in New Jersey going from one employment agency to another, registering for jobs. No one ever contacted me.

If I had known my present company would have allowed me to take my job (which consists mainly of writing and desktop publishing) with me to Florida, I certainly would have considered a move to New Jersey instead. Our main reasons for moving here were 1) the low cost of living; 2) the proximity to Texas [a one-day drive] where our grown kids and grand-kids are, and 3) the absence of winter, which neither of us like, and 4) the proximity to beaches, which New Jersey also has planty of.

Since joining this board (and also planning my old school's class reunion in Ramsey later this year) my sense of "Jerseyness" has been rekindled. I have started researching potential places in the Garden State that might meet our needs. I really would like to do it, but still, I hesitate. Among the "fear factors" are:

1.) I remember New Jersey people as being very intense, high-strung, extremely fast-paced, aggressive, competitive, always going with the pedal to the metal (figuratively), always doing everything 110 percent. Is that memory an illusion? (Maybe that was just MY family!) I know I have mellowed over the past 36 years. At 58, I don't have the high energy level and aggressiveness I did at 22. I'm afraid I may no longer have the drive and spunk it takes to be a New Jerseyan.

2.) The cost of real estate in New Jersey tends to be high. I need to live in a place I can still afford to live in after I retire in about ten years.

3.) Although we managed to survive seven years in Wisconsin, Martha and I have had our filll of winter. I don't even like to watch movies where there is snow on the ground!

After giving this some thought, and doing a little research on the Internet, I think I may have found the one area of New Jersey that might be right for us. That is Cumberland County, particularly around Vineland and Millville. The real estate prices there, while not cheap, are roughly equivilent with this part of Northwest Florida, so we might be able to make an almost even swap for our house here for one there. (We paid $135,000 for our house 19 MONTHS ago. One like ours recently sold up the street for $205,000!)

Cumberland County, while colder than Northwest Florida in the winter, is fairly mild. We've been here two winters and have nights in January with hard frosts and 28-degree temperatures (usually warming up to the 50s by daytime). That part of New Jersey shouldn't be tremendously colder, though they get an average of 5 inches of snow in January and February. Also, I'm hoping that in Vineland, in particular, which is in the heart of an agricultural area, the people might not have that hard-nosed, in-your-face attitude I knew growing up in the shadows of New York City in Bergen County. I expect the people might be a lot more laid back down there.

For years, I wanted to move to Ocean County, to be near the rest of my family. But places like Forked River, where my youngest brother lives, are too high-priced for us. But a drive from Vineland to Toms River or Forked River (for example) is plenty close enough to go to Sunday dinner.

Anyway, from the perspective of those of you who still live there, does my plan have merit? And are my fears groundless?

I will welcome any and all opinions.

davegering
05-22-2006, 07:39 PM
Have you looked in Tuckertown that is just sout of Manahawkin and i still believe quite resonable

usv8lover
06-03-2006, 09:45 PM
I moved to PA to go to college. I have never felt comfortable here and breathe a sigh of relief when I go over a bridge into NJ. I live north of Philadelphia and I find the natives pretty hostile. All my Devils stuff is hidden.
I have been here almost 4 years after living all my life in central NJ.
The roads in PA are poorly laid out - most roads have a 90 degree turn somewhere or they change direction - it's nuts!

There is only ONE Carvel in the area and I have to go to NJ to satisfy my cravings for Stewart's. (I don't like cheesesteaks...I may be thrown out of the area if they find out.) The further away you get from NYC the worse the bagels get. Haven't found a reasonable bakery.

I feel like I am in a foreign land and don't like it at all. If there was an affordable place to live I would love to move back to NJ. Wish car insurance was cheaper too.

Wendy

Marianita
06-03-2006, 11:06 PM
Hi Wendy, Hopefully you can eventually get back to Jersey so you will be happier. I am not in exile at the moment as I am here in Marlton NJ. lol. I have been happy since my plane landed last night in Philly. We have a lot planned and had to write down the things we want to do. Take care of yourself. Marianita

usv8lover
06-04-2006, 11:38 AM
There's a lot of little things I miss about in NJ. Was in Boston once and they have no clue when you ask for rye bread toast. My aunt in Tennessee misses hard rolls. It's amazing how different parts of the country can be. In New Orleans you have to slow down...in Hawaii I really have to slow down (pace and talking to locals).

NJ has it all (mountains, wetlands, beaches, farms, horse farms, etc.)

Horror of horrors my parents just moved to Texas after being in NJ all their lives....and to add insult to injury they encouraged me to move out there.
Texas is a nice place to visit but I have no interest in being there more than a few days.

Marianita
06-04-2006, 04:31 PM
Hi usv8lover, My goodness, are you in Texas? What a change from New Jersey. I have spent the day in Medford as they had a festival and we have been around the pool most of the day. I am having a wonderful time. We had breakfast at the Marlton diner. So how do you like Texas? By the way New Jersey does have it all. I feel like I have always been here. I understand how you feel. Take care. Marianita:)

JerseyDevil
06-04-2006, 05:07 PM
Hi usv8lover, My goodness, are you in Texas? What a change from New Jersey. I have spent the day in Medford as they had a festival and we have been around the pool most of the day. I am having a wonderful time. We had breakfast at the Marlton diner. So how do you like Texas? By the way New Jersey does have it all. I feel like I have always been here. I understand how you feel. Take care. Marianita:)
Marianita - She said she lives in Philadelphia - her PARENTS moved to Texas and asked her to move there, which she said she has no desire to do. Or maybe you mean that she's just visiting - now I'm just plain confused. :confused: Anyway - personally, I don't blame her, it's way too far from NJ. :p

Glad you're having a good time in Marlton.

JerseyDevil
06-04-2006, 05:12 PM
I like your signature usv8lover -

Mostly life-long New Jerseyan (lately trapped just across the river in PA)

That is very much how I felt when I wasn't living in NJ. A New Jerseyan stuck in a strange world. I'm better now though - back in New Jersey.

usv8lover
06-04-2006, 05:19 PM
I like your signature usv8lover -

That is very much how I felt when I wasn't living in NJ. A New Jerseyan stuck in a strange world. I'm better now though - back in New Jersey.

I'm glad to hear someone else say that. My friends think I'm crazy. It is totally different here. It's not home.

JerseyDevil
06-04-2006, 05:27 PM
I'm glad to hear someone else say that. My friends think I'm crazy. It is totally different here. It's not home.
That's because most peopel outside down't really know the real NJ. They live off of the stereotypes.

BTW - one more post and you're no longer a tourist and back on NJ terraforma. :)

usv8lover
06-04-2006, 05:34 PM
That's because most peopel outside down't really know the real NJ. They live off of the stereotypes.

BTW - one more post and you're no longer a tourist and back on NJ terraforma. :)

You don't have to tell me about that...
I've been to Bermuda, all over Canada and the US including Hawaii.
No matter where you go people ask, "Where are you from?"
I am always embarassed to say, "New Jersey" because people land in Newark and see the horrible and smelly Turnpike corridor by the airport. That's what people think NJ is.
I always point out we have beaches to mountains, forests, farms and horse farms. Most people never see it. We have everything! (Including too many people being continually crammed into the same areas). Wish development would stop...

JerseyDevil
06-04-2006, 05:40 PM
You don't have to tell me about that...
I've been to Bermuda, all over Canada and the US including Hawaii.
No matter where you go people ask, "Where are you from?"
I am always embarassed to say, "New Jersey" because people land in Newark and see the horrible and smelly Turnpike corridor by the airport. That's what people think NJ is.

Well first off - never be embarrassed by NJ. They're just ignorant and must be educated n the real NJ. Not their fault that they only gt their news and ideas from late night talk shows. :p

Also, I don't find the area around Newark all that terrible. It's an industrial area of the state, all states have some sort of industry. I do think that NJ could do some landscaping and things around the area so didn't look like a concrete jungle. There is a lot that can be done to fix up the image.

I always point out we have beaches to mountains, forests, farms and horse farms. Most people never see it. We have everything! (Including too many people being continually crammed into the same areas). Wish development would stop...
I wish our politicians would stop making it easy for people to just build in the suburbs and encourage building in the cities. We need to get businesses and people back into the cities and out of the suburbs.

BTW - You have now made it to "Recent Resident" - I hope you are happy now. Now you just have to work your way up to true New Jerseyan. :D

usv8lover
06-04-2006, 06:02 PM
Well first off - never be embarrassed by NJ. They're just ignorant and must be educated n the real NJ. Not their fault that they only gt their news and ideas from late night talk shows. :p

Also, I don't find the area around Newark all that terrible. It's an industrial area of the state, all states have some sort of industry. I do with that NJ would do some landscaping and things around the area so didn't look like a concrete jungle. There is a lot that can be done to fix up the image.

I wish our politicians woudl stp making it easy for people to just build in the suburbs and encourage building in the cities. We need to get businesses and people back into the cities and out of the suburbs.

BTW - You have now made it to "Recent Resident" - I hope you are happy now. Now you just have to work your way up to true New Jerseyan. :D

I have to cringe before I say where I'm from because NJ has such a negative image. We've been the target of a lot of jokes and have a reputation we don't deserve. Unfortunately people coming into Newark get to see and smell what's in the area as their first impression.

I was born in Elizabeth and spent a lot of time in the area visiting family besides heading up the Turnpike for Devils games and it STINKS SOMETHING HORRENDOUS a lot of the time. It's really ugly (although the refinery is kind of cool lit up at night)

Too many people crammed in certain areas really makes the traffic a daily nightmare. Part of me is relieved I don't have to deal with route 1 rush hour traffic any more. I just hate seeing land turned into another minimall or big box store or more areas full of condos or town homes. The deer and bears have no where to go and people find them a nuisance eating their plants or breaking into homes! The newspaper always says, "Deer are a danger to cars." Well, it's the other way around. You don't see any "dead" cars.

YEAH! I'm finally more than a mere tourist!
:excited:

JerseyDevil
06-04-2006, 06:11 PM
I have to cringe before I say where I'm from because NJ has such a negative image. We've been the target of a lot of jokes and have a reputation we don't deserve. Unfortunately people coming into Newark get to see and smell what's in the area as their first impression.

I was born in Elizabeth and spent a lot of time in the area visiting family besides heading up the Turnpike for Devils games and it STINKS SOMETHING HORRENDOUS a lot of the time. It's really ugly (although the refinery is kind of cool lit up at night)

When was the last time you've been through there? I go up there all the time and I agree, during the 80's it did stink terrible - especially around Rahway. Now basially 99% of the tim I go there, it doesn't smell at all. They made the polution controls much stricter on the refineries and the othe chemical plants in the area. Now I have driven along 95 go toward Philadelphia and north of the city there is a bunch of chemical plants and refineries there in PA and that area smells like it used to around Rahway.

Too many people crammed in certain areas really makes the traffic a daily nightmare. Part of me is relieved I don't have to deal with route 1 rush hour traffic any more. I just hate seeing land turned into another minimall or big box store or more areas full of condos or town homes. The deer and bears have no where to go and people find them a nuisance eating their plants or breaking into homes! The newspaper always says, "Deer are a danger to cars." Well, it's the other way around. You don't see any "dead" cars.

New Jerseyans have to start electing politicians who actually start working for NJ, instead of working for NY. OUr cities are improving and people are moving back, but there is really no reason why NY was able to make such a drastic change from dogs sized rats and prostitues and xxx rated movie theaters to a place that people loved, other than NJ has only voted sporatically for politicians who have ever done anything for this state. Until that changes, people are still going to have a hard time saying "let's move to Newark".

YEAH! I'm finally more than a mere tourist!
:excited:
The temptation to have "tourist" stay until after 50 posts is so strong. :p J/K. welcome to your recent move to NJ. :)

usv8lover
06-04-2006, 06:27 PM
When was the last time you've been through there? I go up there all the time and I agree, during the 80's it did stink terrible - especially around Rahway. Now basially 99% of the tim I go there, it doesn't smell at all. They made the polution controls much stricter on the refineries and the othe chemical plants in the area. Now I have driven along 95 go toward Philadelphia and north of the city there is a bunch of chemical plants and refineries there in PA and that area smells like it used to around Rahway.

It's been a few years but I remember bad smells were still present well into the 90s.

The temptation to have "tourist" stay until after 50 posts is so strong. :p J/K. welcome to your recent move to NJ. :)

NO! :eek: If you're going to change the criteria you can't change back those of us who already made it!

davegering
06-04-2006, 06:41 PM
I also lived just over the border for 2 years back in the late 90s. I was managing a store in Allentown and comuted for a year before i gave in and moved to Bethlaham PA. I got transfered back to Jersey! as soon as I could. Its amazing what a few miles can do to a Pizza or a Bagel.

JerseyDevil
06-04-2006, 06:54 PM
It's been a few years but I remember bad smells were still present well into the 90s.

I think you'd be surprised then. :) I've been back since 1999 - and only twice in that time have encountered any smells around the rahway area. It used to be really bad in the 80's and even worse in th 70's.

NO! :eek: If you're going to change the criteria you can't change back those of us who already made it!
Oh - so now that you have made it to "recent resident" you think you should be granfathered in. :p:D

JerseyDevil
06-04-2006, 07:04 PM
I also lived just over the border for 2 years back in the late 90s. I was managing a store in Allentown and comuted for a year before i gave in and moved to Bethlaham PA.

I'm sorry, i just don't feel sorry for you guys. Look - you guys were/are at least right next to NJ; able to visit and come in for a refreshing get away whenever you wanted. I on the other hand was forced - kicking and screaming - out to indiana. I coudl not take quick trips back to NJ. :( We only went back maybe once a year if that. :( It was terrible. Now - joyfully I'm back where I belong.

I got transfered back to Jersey! as soon as I could. Its amazing what a few miles can do to a Pizza or a Bagel.
You think that's bad - you should try the midwest or the westcoast. Fist time we tried ordering a large pepperoni pie - we called up pizza hut. Of course they really only had fast food pizza there. They're response of course was - "we don't sell pie here" :roll: Then when I was in oregon - I was trying to find REAL hot italian sausage to make my pizza with (I make homemade pizza, dough and everything). They didn't have any real hot italian sausage. They told me to add this hot powder stuff to it and that's how you make hot italian sausage - i just rolled my eyes. REAL hot italian sausage shouldn't even be red, it's from the seeds that are used that makes it hot. Sad thing is - I can't even really get good hot italian sausage at wegman's.

As for bagels - don't even get me started on that. In most of the rest of the country - it's like they're not even cooked. I worked with a person from Philadelphia - we got along amazingly well, we used to talk about all the food that we could get in NJ and Philly like REAL bagels - that we couldn't get there.

Marianita
06-04-2006, 08:02 PM
Hi Wendy, I misunderstood you and thought your family had talked you into moving to Texas. lol. As for bad smells here in New Jersey I have not encountered any so far. I agree that the animals can lose their natural habitat but it looks as if parts of the wooded area are being preserved for that purpose. The traffic in Philly is unreal. I am glad I do not do the driving when I am there. The more I am here in New Jersey the more I wish I could move here. Maybe one of these days. Marianita

Marianita
06-04-2006, 08:08 PM
Hi Jersey Devil, We went to a Mexican restaurant in Berlin called, ''Los Amigos.'' Not bad at all. I agree that Texas is too far a way from NJ but look how far away I am but I sure manage to get here. lol.I am thinking of planning a return visit in September when the ''New Jersey baby'' is due to arrive. We have had a wonderful day and it has been relaxing. Medford is quite a beautiful place. We have a list of things to do so will be busy. Take care. Marianita:)

usv8lover
06-04-2006, 08:53 PM
Hawaii definitely has THE worst pizza (if you could even call that pizza).
I couldn't even finish it it was so bad.
So if you get a craving for pizza wait until you get back to the mainland.
I highly reccomend the Teriyaki beef though.

I never had White Castle hamburgers but I often hear that's the stop many people make between the airport and their initial destination when they return to NJ from wherever they've been living. My aunt used to make my father go there first. (I know you can get them frozen now)

Marianita
06-05-2006, 06:40 AM
Hi usv8lover, I am not crazy about pizza anyway so bad pizza sounds really awful. lol. As for the white castle hamburgers I would like to try one of them. I have never heard of white castle hamburgers. Hawaii is one place I haven't been. Yesterday I found a plaque that says,''Jersey girl'' on it and bought it. We spent the day in Medford as there was a festival and there were a lot of neat things for sale and good food too.Have a wonderful day. Marianita:)

Jersey Warren
06-05-2006, 09:43 AM
So many of these posts make me chuckle or recall my first "out-of-Jersey" experiences!

Such as the time I asked for Taylor Pork Roll in a supermarket in Massachusetts. Or first encountered soggy, thick-crust pizza baked in pans by Greeks in Massachusetts. Or on my first trip to California when I got a meatball sub with a big slice of pickle on it! (I pulled it off, naturally.)

I spent five years in Texas and found it totally incompatible with my Jerseyness. The thing about Texas is, the men have an "attitude" similar to the feisty urban guys from places like Newark, but with none of the "coolness." I felt like saying: "make up your mind, dudes: You can be EITHER tough and hip OR mellow and "country and Western" but not BOTH!

And the women there were taken in by these cowboy types, much to my chagrin.

I also found that people in Dallas think that money can buy class. In New Jersey, if you want to be accepted in upscale places, it takes more than money you need to learn some manners and a minimum of correct English grammar. Not in Texas. Many a guy in a 3,000 square foot house in Plano goes around with a "chaw" in his jaw, wears his hat into restaurants (real restaurants, not fast food) and crucifies the Queen's English, yet is still considered "upper class" based solely on the size of his house and his expensive car or truck. That wouldn't hack in in Princeton or Saddle River, I'll tell you that much!

I had one amusing experience on my first visit to Texas, though. I saw a pizzeria that has a neon sign reading "NY Pizza" in the window. (And okay, New Yorkers are annoying but they can make pizza and bagels.)

Much to my amazement, the pizza was good. When the cashier asked me how it was, I said it was just like in New York.

The cook came out of the kitchen with a big grin on his face, pulled out his wallet, and showed me his New York drivers license with a Bronx address on it!

My brother and his wife went to Arizona State University (they're back in Toms River) and have lots of funny stories to tell about the terrible pizza and subs in Arizona. It's actually quite predictable: You look up the stats on a place in http://www.city-data.com/ and if a city has at least 15 percent of the people being of Italian ancestry, chances are you'll find good pizza. (For example, Toms River is 31.6% Italian, Plano, Texas is only 4.1%.) Under ten percent, buy Freschetta or DiGiorno and bake it yourself!

By the way, I'm going to Wisconsin on business tomorrow and won't return until Saturday.

JerseyDevil
06-06-2006, 01:08 AM
By the way, I'm going to Wisconsin on business tomorrow and won't return until Saturday.
I'll have more about your post later, but have a safe trip in Wisconsin. Hopefully you'll have a lot of catching up to do. :)

Marianita
06-06-2006, 04:03 PM
Hi JerseyWarren, I had to laugh about the part you wrote about the Texan who wears his hat everywhere, but I laugh for personal reasons. LOL. Well, Texas is not my kind of place although I had a lot of fun there years ago. New Jersey is my kind of place. Infact I am enjoying every moment of my stay. There are some New Yorkers next door we are having a blast with. They are actually ex New Yorkers as they have relocated here. As for the pizza, I will pass on that no matter where it is prepared. I live for these Jersey moments. This morning my granddaughter rushed off her school bus yelling,''Grandma!'' and into my arms. talk about precious moments. Tomorrow we are going to Cherry Hill Mall. All the far away places are for the coming weeks.''jersey Rich'' is taking some vacation next week. Take care. Marianita:)

Marianita
06-23-2006, 06:04 PM
Hi Jersey Warren, I returned home to Central Calif on the 18th. I have been telling my husband ever since that I want to move to New Jersey. I can retire anytime after November or semi retire at the age of 62 but I want to move there and I want to live in Mt.Laural. Or maybe Hamilton, who knows? I say that because a couple live there who work with my son and we have become good friends over the past 3 years. I may be returning to Marlton in Sept when the New Jersey baby is due. It is not easy to relocate but the properties can be sold and it can be done. Somehow, some way I am going to make it happen. :) Marianita

Jersey Warren
06-24-2006, 02:33 PM
Hi Jersey Warren, I returned home to Central Calif on the 18th. I have been telling my husband ever since that I want to move to New Jersey. I can retire anytime after November or semi retire at the age of 62 but I want to move there and I want to live in Mt.Laural. Or maybe Hamilton, who knows? I say that because a couple live there who work with my son and we have become good friends over the past 3 years. I may be returning to Marlton in Sept when the New Jersey baby is due. It is not easy to relocate but the properties can be sold and it can be done. Somehow, some way I am going to make it happen. :) Marianita

Hi Marianita, ;)

Well, at least you are not exiled in the worst place -- I found Texas and Wisconsin to be much less pleasant than California!

I hope you eventually are able to realize your dreams!

We will be in New Jersey the first week of October for my 40th class reunion. :)

Marianita
06-24-2006, 03:43 PM
Hi Jersey Warren, It may take some time but I think it could be done. Texas is not my kind of place either. Wisconsin, I do not know as I have never been there. It is nice here in this part of Calif but I feel I can do just great in NJ. I am already learning the exits and the routes and all that stuff. lol. The thing is that I feel at home there. So time will tell. Marianita:)