PDA

View Full Version : New JERSEY MetroStars renamed New YORK Red Bulls

NJPRIDE
03-09-2006, 11:09 PM
Here we go again , the Metrostars were sold to a foreign company and will be called the new york redbull while playing in N.J. I have started calling my state assemblyman and representative and voiced my opinion ENOUGH IS ENOUGH ! Call you reps and tell them DO NOT LET THIS HAPPEN ! The redbulls management said they will be called ny because its better for bussiness .

[NOTE: I felt that this news was big enough for it's own thread and was moved from the NJ Team Names (http://forum.aboutnewjersey.com/showthread.php?p=1157#post1157) thread.

- JD

JerseyDevil
03-10-2006, 08:36 AM
Here we go again , the Metrostars were sold to a foreign company and will be called the new york redbull while playing in N.J.
You have got to be joking! This is ridiculous. They dropped NY from their name a while ago and have been known as just the MetroStars, they're even getting a new stadium in New JERSEY! Where did you hear about this? I'm going to write the company.

[edit]Ahh I see they already have their new name up on their website. :mad: MetroStars (http://www.MetroStars.com) Well this will be another team tht gets taken off the AboutNewJersey.com site because they have turned their back on New Jersey.

JerseyDevil
03-10-2006, 09:01 AM
Follow-up - I have called the MetroStars aka NY Redbulls - who I will just refer to as turncoats. I am waiting for a call back. Anyone interested in stating their displeasure - have everyone you know call them at (201)583-7000.

I also just called NJSEA (http://www.njsea.com/) and talked to Bernard Spigner who told me that NJSEA has made a strong statement speaking out against the name change.

Here is the press release he told me about...

March 9, 2006

The New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority has enjoyed a good working relationship with the MetroStars for ten years. I look forward to working with the “new” team and helping them achieve greater success at the Meadowlands.

However, we are not happy with their announcement that their new name is Red Bull New York. Their home stadium is a New Jersey landmark, and it is an insult to us for them to remove the name of the state. We strongly object to this lack of respect for the State of New Jersey. I have reached out to the team and Major League Soccer and told them of our displeasure.

I have spoken to our local and state representatives, as well as the Governors office. A new stadium will soon be built for the team in Harrison New Jersey. How should the taxpayers of Hudson County feel when they learn that the team will not have the name “New Jersey” on
their uniform?

I am certain that between the team, the league, and the NJSEA… we will be able to reach an accord where all parties are pleased. I am committed to reaching that accord as soon as possible.

George R. Zoffinger
President and Chief Executive Officer

If they do NOT wear NJ on their uniforms they should go across the river where they would rather be. I told that too, and stated that many New Jerseyans feel the same way. We are getting fed up with this. Bernard said he agreed and that the NJSEA has made the same statement.

I am stating right now, as a New JERSEY tourism site, if hte team has anything on their uniforms that remotely suggests they are a NY team or their name reflects this, they wil NOT be listed on AboutNewJersey.com.

It's time New Jerseyans took a stand - if we boycott their games, they will soon realize that their name change was a BAD business decision. Not enough New Yorkers are going to come to Harrison to see a game - they don't have the "loyal" NY following that the Giants and Jets have. They can get away with it - but the MetroStars in my opinion would not be able to lose their New Jersey support.

JerseyDevil
03-10-2006, 10:48 AM
Third post on this - I've just called the governors office on this. You can call Governor Corzine at - 609-292-6000.

We need to get a letter campaign and calling campaign going. This is the final straw with NJ teams turning their back on us. First the Giants and Jets and now the MetroStars.

[Edit]

This is who I have called on the matter...

NJSEA
Bernard Spigner
New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority
Director of Communications & External Affairs
Public Affairs Office
50 State Route 120
East Rutherford, NJ 07073
bspigner@njsea.com
(201)935-8500

MetroStars aka NY Redbulls
One Harmon Plaza; Third Floor; Secaucus, NJ, 07094 (201) 583-7000

Governor Corzine
PO Box 001
Trenton, NJ 08625
609-292-6000

District 14
Senator Peter Inverso
3691A Nottingham Way, Hamilton Square, NJ 08690 (609)-586-1330

Assemblyman Bill Baroni
2239 Whitehorse-Mercerville Road, Suite E, Hamilton, NJ 08619 (609)-631-9988

Assemblywoman Linda Greenstein
7 Centre Dr., Suite 2, Monroe, NJ 08831-1565 (609)-395-9911

District 15
Senator Shirley Turner
1440 Pennington Rd., 1st Floor, Ewing, NJ 08618 (609)-530-3277

Assemblyman Reed Gusciora
226 W. State St., Trenton, NJ 08608 (609)-292-0500

Assemblywoman Bonnie Watson Coleman
226 W. State St., Trenton, NJ 08608 (609)-292-0500

In addition to making the calls today, I will be following up with letters. Since I just moved to trenton, I felt I could state my opinions to both the people who represented me and who I voted for, as well as people who I will be voting for or against in future elections.

This is a state issue, so I think as an owner of a NJ website which promotes NJ pride and NJ Tourism, that I actually should call all of the members of the legislature.

[EDIT again

I called District 32, which represents Harrison where the MetroStars are moving to.

Senator Nicholas Sacco (left message)
9060 Palisade Ave., North Bergen, NJ 07047 (201)-295-0200

Assemblyman Vincent Prieto (left message)
1249 Paterson Plank Rd., Secaucus, NJ 07094 (201)-770-1303

Assemblywoman Joan Quigley
The Hamilton Park Foundry, 242 Tenth Street, Suite 101 , Jersey City, NJ 07302 (201)-217-4614

JerseyDevil
03-10-2006, 12:40 PM
I just called up the District 1 legislators. In particular I wanted to let Assemblyman Jeff Van Drew know - he's a real promoter of NJ Tourism and NJ Pride and I wanted to ask him to support the northern representatives against the MetroStars name change.

So I have now also called -

Senator Nicholas Asselta
Main Tree Commons, 1450 East Chestnut Avenue, Building 1, Suite B, Vineland, NJ 08361 (856)-691-3004

Assemblyman Nelson Albano
223 East Main Street, Millville, NJ 08332 (856)-293-8353

Assemblyman Jeff Van Drew
223 East Main Street, Millville, NJ 08332 (856)-293-8353

I got a call back twice from one of the representatives I had called earlier. They said that the legislators in the district wanted to put out a statement first, but there is movement in the assembly to write up a bill against the name change. I will be keeping tabs on this. Many who I have talked to have stated their outrage at this, while only a few indicated "well I don't see what can be done or if it matters".

JerseyDevil
03-10-2006, 01:34 PM
I just called Assemblyman Richard Mertck's office and left a message. he proposed Resolution 152 (http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2004/Bills/ACR/152_I1.HTM) to change the name of Giants Stadium when the Giants had the nerve to slap NY back on their uniforms. I wanted to get some idea of his thoughts on the issue with this MetroStars change.

NJPRIDE
03-10-2006, 04:38 PM
I am with you DEVIL I started the calling last night . It was about 10:00 so I had to leave messages . Got home from work today and called The Gov , Guy Gregg District 24 , Rodney Frelinghuysen , and Frank Lautenberg . I tried calling the team but it must have been to late , no answer and no answering machine pickup . I am not done yet as Chief Joesph said " I have not yet begun to fight " The teams GM said using new york is better for business . This nucklehead went to Rutgers and played soccer there . In todays Star Ledger one of the headlines on the front page of the sports said JERSEY OFFICIALS SEE RED . It went on to say basically over our dead bodies will N.J. not be used in the teams name . And being called strictly a n.y. team is not acceptable . George Zoffinger said he would try to block red bulls rights to use giants stadium unless New Jersey was a part of the new name . GO GEORGE GO !

JerseyDevil
03-10-2006, 08:12 PM
I sent in a letter to the Star Ledger tonight and I will send it to other newspapers too.

Here we go again. Not only was it not enough for the Giants and Jets to stab New Jersey in the back, now we have the MetroStars’ knife firmly in our back also. To say that I am outraged by the recent decision to rename the New Jersey MetroStars to the New YORK Red Bulls is an understatement. It is even more of an outrage that our tax dollars, 85 million, are being used to build them a stadium in Harrison NJ. Is this how New Jersey gets repaid? I say they can take their name and shove it! Let them find a stadium in NY to play, and while they’re at it, they can take the Giants and Jets with them too. We don’t need these ungrateful teams taking up space in New Jersey.

New Jersey and our politicians should stand up to these teams once and for all. I refuse to attend a Giants, Jets and now a New YORK Red Bulls game until they remove the ridiculous NY from their uniforms and names.

If New Jerseyans have any sense of pride and self-respect – they will stand with me and the many other New Jerseyans who feel the same way. How many other teams are we going to allow to play in New Jersey while they stick their nose up and say “New Jersey? Oh we just play there, but we’d rather be in New York.”? How many more press conferences do we have to see with some NJ sports franchise saying “we are very proud to call New Jersey home, blah, blah, blah”, while behind them a banner is plastered with NY? I say this is the last straw and NJ should tell them not to let the door hit them on the way out.

I am serious - this is the final straw here. If New Jerseyans and MetroStar fans just sit back, then I have no idea what will make New Jerseyans show some self-respect and stop letting the state get kicked around. I am frankly fed up at this moment. I want some action on this. I don't want lip service - I don't want some politician telling me - "well we get money from them" As I told someone who said that today to me - so we just sell NJ to the highest bidder?

JerseyDevil
03-10-2006, 10:56 PM
Well this was on a Malaysian news site - it's AP so of course it's going to be all over the place - but I guess since it's the day time there in malaysia this is what will be in the news tonight. It shows that thankfully our politicians seem to be taking a very hard stand against the name change - now I think it's time to put pressure on the team itself.

New Jersey officials seeing red over soccer team name change (http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2006/3/11/apworld/20060311121939&sec=apworld)

HARRISON, New Jersey (AP) - Red Bull's purchase of Major League Soccer's MetroStars is causing a stir in the state of New Jersey.

The team wants to be known as Red Bull New York, effectively disassociating itself from the Garden State across the Hudson River, and that's not sitting well with state officials.

One is even threatening to boot the team from Giants Stadium, where it will play until a new stadium in Harrison is ready in 2008.

"Their new name may be Red Bull New York, but striking New Jersey from their name seems to be a different kind of bull altogether,'' said Brendan Gilfillan, a spokesman for Gov. Jon S. Corzine.

"This is a team that sells its products in New Jersey, draws its fan base from New Jersey and receives funding from New Jersey.''

U.S. Sen. Frank Lautenberg also urged Red Bull to reconsider in a letter sent Friday. "Certainly you can ask your team's president and general manager, Alexi Lalas, himself a graduate of Rutgers, the State University of New Jersey, about the importance of 'Jersey Pride,''' Lautenberg wrote.

In fact, however, the MetroStars have not officially had New Jersey as part of their team name for several years.

The team originally was known as the New York-New Jersey MetroStars, but the previous owners decided to streamline things by dropping the clumsy "New York-New Jersey'' part prior to the 2003 season.

Lalas said Friday that the latest name change is not a slight against New Jersey.

He said Austrian-based Red Bull, maker of the energy drink, is an international business, and New York is a better-known name than New Jersey.

"There are companies all over the world that recognize this point about New York,'' Lalas said. "Other teams that play in Giants Stadium also reflect this.''

The reference to the New York Giants and New York Jets isn't relevant, said George Zoffinger, president and chief executive officer of the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority - the state government entity that runs Giants Stadium.

Zoffinger threatened to kick out the team, which has played at the Meadowlands sports complex through its 10-year existence.

"They will not play in our stadium unless they have New Jersey in their name,'' he said.

State legislators are also gearing up for a fight. On Friday, two Assembly members announced they are crafting legislation to pressure the team's owners "to give New Jersey the respect and courtesy'' by including the state's name.

One comment on this article I want to make - who cares that Red Bull is an international company or that more people in the world know about NY - they aren't an INTERNATIONAL team - they are a NEW JERSEY team. If he wants a NY team - then move them the hell to NY.

New Jerseyans should boycott Red Bull beer also. I don't recommend pouring it in the street though - because that requires buying it. Red Bull or any company can pretty much care less if you BUY their product and pour down the drain or burn it - all they want is the money. Sort of defeats the purpose if you just put money into their pockets.

JerseyDevil
03-10-2006, 11:13 PM
This is an article from the Star Ledger...

Jersey officials see Red over name change (http://www.nj.com/sports/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1141970952317930.xml&coll=1)
Friday, March 10, 2006
BY MATTHEW FUTTERMAN
Star-Ledger Staff

The Giants decided to go back to the "NY" logo on their helmets. The Jets have never entertained the idea of putting New Jersey in their name. And every telecast from the Meadowlands seems to start with a shot of the Manhattan skyline.

Now the New York/New Jersey MetroStars have been bought by Red Bull, and the energy drink company says it will call the club "Red Bull New York."

After hearing that, New Jersey officials say they are sick and tired and aren't going to take it anymore, especially since Red Bull New York plans to pursue a stadium project in Harrison that will be financed with $85 million in public money.

George Zoffinger, chief executive of the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority, which operates Giants Stadium, where the team now plays, said he would try to block Red Bull's rights to use the stadium unless New Jersey was a part of the new name.

"Our lawyers are looking at this," Zoffinger said. "That is non-negotiable and I'm going to reach out to Hudson County to get them to stand with us. If they are getting public funding, they should use New Jersey's name."

Ellie Applen, a spokeswoman for Red Bull, said the company was "not aware of any such stipulations from New Jersey politicians, but we will look into it promptly."

Nick Sakiewicz, president of Anschutz Entertainment Group, which sold the team to Red Bull, said the team has always considered itself "for New York and New Jersey." Sakiewicz said, "That's an issue for the politicians to work out."

State Sen. Paul Sarlo (D-Bergen), whose district includes the Meadowlands, said the Jets and Giants at least have a history with New York that this team does not share.

"This is a new league and a new franchise, and we've got to be a little territorial here," Sarlo said. "To be called strictly a New York team is not acceptable."

Zoffinger may have his work cut out for him. Officials in Red Bull New York's planned home appear so eager for the stadium project to move ahead they won't let the team name stand in the way

"It's not an issue at all for us," said Peter Higgins, director of the Harrison Redevelopment Agency.

I have a problem with some statements in here - such as "To be strictly a New York team is not acceptable". Well I personally think that having NY a all in their name is completely unacceptable. How many teams which play in NY have New Jersey in their name? Is the Nets going to be the Brooklyn New Jersey Nets? Hell no!! New York would never stand for a team putting NJ in their name if they played in NY - so why the hell do NJ politicians have no problem with it? Are we so desperate that we have no self respect, no sense of pride? I say stand up for NJ for once and say NO to these damn teams putting NY in their names while we build them these stadiums and put in numerous infastructure improvements.

JerseyDevil
03-10-2006, 11:24 PM
I love this article. Why do they refer to them as a Tri-State team? How many people from pennsylvania or Connecticut do you REALLY think came to their games? :roll:

Red Bull buys MetroStars, renames team (http://www.allsports.com/cgi-bin/showstory.cgi?story_id=58358)
March 9, 2006

NEW YORK (Ticker) - The MetroStars never reached the championship game in their first 10 Major League Soccer seasons. Now their history is but a memory.

Energy-drink manufacturer Red Bull Company Limited purchased the MetroStars on Thursday from the Anschutz Entertainment Group and renamed the team "Red Bull New York," effective immediately.

In addition, Red Bull agreed to partner with AEG on the construction of the team's soccer-specific stadium in Harrison, New Jersey.

As part of the agreement, approved by the MLS Board of Governors on Thursday morning, Red Bull purchased naming rights to the new stadium. Red Bull will own half of the new stadium, with AEG responsible for constructing, managing and booking.

Financial terms were not disclosed, but the Daily News on Tuesday said the deal could reach at least $50 million.

"The addition of Red Bull into our group of owners is a landmark moment for Major League Soccer and for all Tri-State area soccer fans," MLS commissioner Don Garber said. "Red Bull founder Dietrich Mateschitz brings international credibility and proven, innovative marketing expertise to Major League Soccer."

I also commented on the article - which they allow you to do.

JerseyDevil
03-10-2006, 11:27 PM
This article really gets my blood boiling, with the sports writer barely acknowledging that the MetroStars were even a NJ team - but were basically ALWAYS associated with NY. I found this in the Seattle-Post

Bullish: Ladies and Gentleman, your 2006 Red Bull New York? (http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/scorecard/othernews.asp?articleID=160699)
Josh Simeone, Sports Network Soccer Editor

Philadelphia, PA (Sports Network) - So long MetroStars, it seems we hardly knew you... You seemed like fun, an interesting mix of city identity set to the backdrop of black and red stripes.

You offered us with the idea of the fast paced, metro lifestyle found in New York City. When we thought of the name MetroStars, we envisioned New York, even though your fans had to trek to the Jersey turnpike to see you play.

But so what? The location didn't matter. It was your identity that we came to embrace. Your name represented your home town. For a while, you had us believing you could represent both New Jersey and New York, and when that changed, we accepted it.

And even though you never brought the fans a championship, and you rarely made it to a final game, you at least tried. You made some big signings in your day, remember the time you brought us Roberto Donadoni from Serie A, Italy's top division? How about when you executed the first three-player trade in league history, remember, you brought U.S. National star Alexi Lalas to the Tri-State area.

It wasn't all a pleasure cruise though, you had trouble with coaches, losing streaks and you always traded away some of the team's favorite players.

We got over that stuff, because overall, it was about the sport that we loved. And even though you lost to the New England Revolution in last year's playoffs, we were still looking forward to a bright and successful 2006 season.

But now, we don't even know who you are anymore. Suddenly, this energy drink has come into our lives, forcing us to say goodbye to the name we've come to love for nearly 10 years.

Yes, we're happy that you are moving on, and we're thrilled that Red Bull has pledged to help build a soccer-specific stadium, but some of us are worried that your identity will be lost forever. We're not sure how to chant for Red Bull New York (let's go Red Bull... New York, or something?)

But we're going to look for the positive in this change, because that's what we've done all along. We've gotten used to the fact you haven't been the best team in the league, and we've gotten over all the personnel changes. So with that in mind, we're ready to bid you farewell, MetroStars. We shall not meet again.

THEY LOOK TO YOU, RED BULL - WHY THIS IS A GOOD MOVE

Thursday morning was more than just a simple press release, it was a historic announcement for one of Major League Soccer's original teams. After months of speculation, Austrian-based Red Bull Company Limited officially made an appearance in America's soccer market.

The company, best known for its sports energy drink, announced it had finalized an agreement with Major League Soccer to take over the east coast club. The partnership allows Red Bull 50 percent ownership in the new stadium, as well as naming rights.

In addition to taking over, Red Bull also announced it would join Anschutz Entertainment Group (AEG), the team's former investor-operator, to build a new soccer-specific stadium. The new venue would make Harrison, New Jersey its new home, forcing the club to say goodbye to its current home at Giants Stadium.

The deal also includes a brand new name, logo and jerseys for the team formerly known as the MetroStars. Red Bull New York has been deemed the club's new name, with a logo already released, which surely not by accident includes two bulls, much like the energy drink's logo.

Many aspects of this new deal are great for the MetroStars, a team that has consistently missed out on success in the league.

Perhaps the biggest and best part of the new ownership is the promise for a new stadium. Playing at Giants Stadium is no picnic for an MLS soccer club. The 80,242 seat complex is known throughout the sports market as one of the country's best venues, but it hasn't been great for soccer.

Playing home to both the New York Jets and New York Giants of the NFL, there is little room for scheduling additional events. This has been a league wide problem for MLS, as the regular season schedule seems to take a back seat to other league schedules. Not to mention the condition of the playing field, which must deteriorate after even a single NFL game.

For Major League Soccer, Giants Stadium is probably too big, and too hard to fill right now. Yes, soccer continues to gain momentum, but let's not go overboard. Too many empty seats can take its toll.

The new ownership also brings the opportunity for a fresh start. The MetroStars haven't necessarily had a negative past, but it hasn't been the best, with frequent coaching changes, and of course, a trophy case that is clearly missing a league cup.

Playing in brand new jerseys, a new name and logo may spur some excitement among the players and the fan base. If anything, sales on jerseys, soccer balls, caps and whatever else the team markets are sure to rise.

Red Bull New York could also benefit from the experience Red Bull has in the worldwide sports market. In addition to owning Austrian soccer club Red Bull Salzburg, Red Bull has also invested in Formula One racing and NASCAR.

"Red Bull founder Dietrich Mateschitz brings international credibility and proven, innovative marketing expertise to Major League Soccer. His presence on the MLS Board of Governors provides another authentic, avid soccer fan to our diversifying set of investors," MLS Commissioner Don Garber said during Thursday's announcement.

The experience could help to improve the club's fan base and overall appeal, something that any MLS team would greatly benefit from.

ANYTHING BUT BULLISH - WHY THIS IS A BAD MOVE

Sure, there are plenty of good things about this deal, but what about the bad things? The negative effects this deal could have on Major League Soccer seem overshadowed, but they are there waiting to spoil every aspect of this new ownership.

While introducing a major sports drink company into the league will no doubt incorporate new marketing strategies and ideas, it also threatens to wash away a team's pride and identity.

Some fans may have raised their eyebrows over the name MetroStars, but at least it was an original name that was supposed to represent the hometown. Even the Houston Dynamo, which is the old Houston 1836, works better than Red Bull New York. Beyond the controversy surrounding the Houston name change, at least Dynamo was meant to have some relevance to Houston.

But Red Bull New York? This blatantly takes away from the home team pride. Who can honestly relate to Red Bull New York? One of the most important things about naming a sports franchise in any sport is the name of the team. A team name needs to be one that sells, and one that can relate to the hometown fans.

Even if a name is historical, at least it references the hometown to some degree. Take the San Francisco 49ers of the National Football League for example. The team name references a historic event, the 1849 gold rush in California. The 76ers in the National Basketball Association reference the year 1776, when Philadelphia was the center of politics in the United States.

But with Red Bull New York, the only thing even remotely significant are the words New York, which are technically inaccurate, as the team plays in New Jersey. Even the logo has conveniently thrown out any hometown presence. Instead of a nice logo of buildings, or something that resembles a city skyline, or even a New York type theme, the new owner has decided to go with two bulls. If anything, the new logo has gone from one of personality, to one boasting an advertisement.

THE FUTURE OF COMPANY AND SPORT

Regardless of the positive and negative aspects the new Red Bull deal has to offer, one can't help but think of the future of some of the world's biggest companies and their relationship with the world of sports.

Thursday's Red Bull takeover isn't the first corporate move into sports and won't be the last. The world of business has held an interest in becoming a major player in the sports market for a long time.

Look around sports and you'll find stadium names that no longer represent the town they reside, but the company that has outbid all others for naming rights. Look inside some of the country's biggest venues and you'll notice that it's either Coke or Pepsi, Nike or Adidas, Verizon or Cingular.

Yes, businesses bring money to teams and allow for bigger and better stadiums but they also bring controversy. The final year of construction of the new Mile High Stadium in Denver, Colorado brought along an outcry from Denver fans after it was revealed that the new venue name would not include the words Mile High.

Fans became so upset that the name was changed to include Mile High, making it Invesco Field at Mile High. How about Coors Field just a few miles away, or the Pepsi Center in downtown Denver?

After Thursday's announcement, the naming rights have gone beyond just the stadiums. What's next, Dr. Scholl's Presents the Columbus Crew? Who's "gellin'" now?

It isn't just a name, it's something that represents a team and its home, and if Red Bull's takeover is to reveal any lesson, perhaps it's that corporate ownership may bring along a new stadium, but it might cost you your identity.

SO LONG METROSTARS

So with that, goodbye MetroStars. We shall miss your name, your colors and your logo. But now it's time to move on. So if you were a MetroStars fan, then take a deep breath and open a can of Red Bull, because it may be all you have for now.

davegering
03-11-2006, 09:05 AM
The Ironic part is the stadium is being built farther away from NY in Harrison which is the soccor capital of NJ and about 5 minutes from where i live. The stadium was put there to draw in the NJ crown from Harrison and Kearny which are 2 big soccer towns . It was also put there because it is easier access fronm NJ transit. The 40 bus leaves from Penn station and goes right by the stadium and into North Arlington which is where I live. In it also walking distance from the Path Train station In Harrison. So the move the stadium to make it easy Access for Jersians(or is that Jersyites) and change the name to NY. I say get the hell out and take the Giants and Jets with you.

GO DEVILS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NJPRIDE
03-11-2006, 05:57 PM
I am with DEVIL , boycott all redbull products until they take N.J.s name lets show the world you cant come to N.J. and disrespect us !

JerseyDevil
03-12-2006, 09:51 AM
The Ironic part is the stadium is being built farther away from NY in Harrison which is the soccor capital of NJ and about 5 minutes from where i live. The stadium was put there to draw in the NJ crown from Harrison and Kearny which are 2 big soccer towns . It was also put there because it is easier access fronm NJ transit. The 40 bus leaves from Penn station and goes right by the stadium and into North Arlington which is where I live. In it also walking distance from the Path Train station In Harrison.

Well this area has a lot of immigrants - who probably don't care what is on the name. So how do we convince people who aren't born in NJ that they shouldn't support this team as long as it carries the NY name? Do you think this area will not go to see the Naw Yawk Red Bulls because they have that ridiculous NY on their uniforms?

So the move the stadium to make it easy Access for Jersians(or is that Jersyites) and change the name to NY.

Well it's actually New Jerseyan :)

I say get the hell out and take the Giants and Jets with you.

GO DEVILS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I support you - we will only have one professional team in our state if the Nets leave - the Devils. I don't give a damn abotu any team which doesn't want to acknowledge their home state.

NJPRIDE
03-12-2006, 12:02 PM
Actually we have a pro lacrosse team called the New Jersey Pride . In past years they have played home games in Montclair , and the Somerset Patriots ballpark . This year they will be playing home games at Yurcak Field at Rutgers . The league has about 10 teams in it this year across the country . You should put up a link for their website .

JerseyDevil
03-12-2006, 07:31 PM
Actually we have a pro lacrosse team called the New Jersey Pride . In past years they have played home games in Montclair , and the Somerset Patriots ballpark . This year they will be playing home games at Yurcak Field at Rutgers . The league has about 10 teams in it this year across the country . You should put up a link for their website .
That is true and I do have the NJ Pride on the website, but they dont' get the coverage that the other teams get. We actually had TWO pro lacrosse teams - but the other one left for California.

JerseyDevil
03-13-2006, 08:36 PM
Well both the Home News and the Star Ledger called - it seems that my letter will at least appear in those two papers. Those are the two big ones.

I am a little upset that some politicians, while saying they are against the name change, don't wish to push TOO hard on the Red Bulls, because they don't want to lose the money for Harrison. What I asked them was how much is New Jersey worth? Why don't we just sell the state to NY - then we can solve our budger deficit. It seems with some politicians, as long as the money is high enough - we'll lie there and let them kick us.

A-Line
03-13-2006, 09:49 PM
It's just like with the Giants and Jets -- our elected officials are afraid to insist on them using our name. These are the people who are supposed to be representing us. It's sickening. They need to hear from the people that they are letting us down.

NJPRIDE
03-14-2006, 04:01 PM
A-Line you must call your elected officials and let them know how you feel . If you dont they can only assume eveything is ok . Some of us have already made calls . We are not second fiddle to anyone . I let them know I was against the metros not using N.J. in their name and I also told them I did not support $30 million dollars of taxpayer money to help the giants and jets for their new stadium if they dont take N.J.s name .

JerseyDevil
03-14-2006, 04:15 PM
A-Line you must call your elected officials and let them know how you feel . If you dont they can only assume eveything is ok . Some of us have already made calls . We are not second fiddle to anyone . I let them know I was against the metros not using N.J. in their name and I also told them I did not support $30 million dollars of taxpayer money to help the giants and jets for their new stadium if they dont take N.J.s name .
$30 million? That's only a small fraction of the amount NJ gave to the Giants for the stadium. A lot of the numbers were left out - such as the $125 in debt forgiveness to the Giants. $30 million was what codey only wanted the public to know about, but it is costing NJ tax payers much more. We even gav up all the revenue from concerts or any other events that take place at the Stadium, which we currently get, just so Codey could have his sports teams.

A-Line
03-14-2006, 05:40 PM
A couple of things:

Bear with me because I never did this before. But I really want to take action. This issue has been bugging me for years ... I mean, YEARS.

Which elected officials should I contact? Town, County, State? I read a listing of some of the politicians in some of the earlier posts, but they might not be my particular representatives.

Also, check out this MOST IMPRESSIVE Op-Ed piece that ran in today's issue of The Record:

The Record

March 14, 2006

Red Bull's Snub of New Jersey Is Plain Bull

By Jeffrey Page

AGAIN, JERSEY takes it in the gut. It's not enough that the New York Giants have been playing their home games in New Jersey for the last 30 years or that when the New York Jets followed the Giants across the Hudson in 1984 they remained a New York team that just happened to play all its home games in New Jersey.

The television networks and National Football League liked it that way. It was as though they feared that football fans wouldn't tune in to a game if they thought that one of the teams represented the likes of New Jersey, for heaven's sake.

But there's nothing wrong with Jersey.

It's not like New Jersey is some microscopic hamlet in the northern reaches of Manitoba where 40 degrees two days in a row constitutes a heat wave. It's one of the richest states with plenty of money to spend on sports tickets. Its population comes to 8 million intelligent, sports-savvy people.

But the sports brain trust would have you believe that the New Jersey Giants just can never possess the prestige -- the renown -- of something called the Carolina Panthers or the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Please. In that refusal to acknowledge the name of this state is a message to New Jerseyans. That is that the NFL can deal with a team that doesn't inform anyone which Carolina the Panthers play in and a team based in Tampa, a place where the favorite pastime is perspiring. But somehow there would be disorder and confusion if a team bore the word "Jersey" -- admittedly a place where the favorite activity is road rage.

And now, another professional sports team is dissing Jersey.

Remember the MetroStars professional soccer team? As reported in The Record on Friday, they're now called Red Bull New York even though they play their home games at Giants Stadium in New Jersey and intend to move to Harrison in Hudson County for the 2008 season.

Not Red Bull New Jersey. Not Red Bull New Jersey/New York.

You might think that Red Bull New York is named for an animal that doesn't precisely exist in nature; after all, most cattle with "red" in their breed names look more brownish than reddish. Or you might think that the Red Bull New York team runs up the soccer field and down -- over and over again to the point of tedium -- at a stadium in New York City or maybe someplace upstate.

Actually, Red Bull is the name of an energy potion manufactured in Austria and also the name of the maker, which bought out the MetroStars.

They're naming a soccer team after a drink like Gatorade, but somehow New Jersey is -- what? -- unworthy to be part of the name of a team?

This won't bode well for Jersey or any of its towns if a major league baseball team ever relocates here. Across the river are two teams called "New York" and they probably won't want a third. So what happened in recent years when the Expos were eager to leave Montreal? They wound up in Washington, a town with no team, and called themselves the Nationals.

Question: What would they have been called if they found a place in New Jersey?

Answer: Maybe the Montreal Expos.

Will New Jersey sports fans ever rebel against this disrespect?

Or will they trade home town pride for a chance to yell for Red Bull New York?

Bet on the latter. Pride's one thing; easy parking and a seat near midfield are something else.

Record columnist Jeffrey Page also writes the North Jersey column.

http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjczN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXkzOTcmZmdi ZWw3Zjd2cWVlRUV5eTY4OTY3MzkmeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZU VFeXkxNA==

This is me again, A-Line.

I want to prove the article's last paragraph wrong.

But I've never been involved in any kind of protest before.

Aside from writing letters -- which I've done numerous times before and will gladly do again -- does anyone have any other ideas?

I'm ready to organize, and I'm not kidding.

I'd rather we have just the Devils if no other teams will take on the New Jersey name.

And NY/NJ combination names are no good either. New Jersey is a state, not some little no-name town or city. People have heard of it, I'm sure.

And New Yorkers are more than welcome to come root for New Jersey teams, just as some of us do with their teams.

JerseyDevil
03-14-2006, 06:23 PM
A couple of things:

Bear with me because I never did this before. But I really want to take action. This issue has been bugging me for years ... I mean, YEARS.

Which elected officials should I contact? Town, County, State? I read a listing of some of the politicians in some of the earlier posts, but they might not be my particular representatives.

Welcome A-Line to New Jersey activism. :) Don't worry - everyone has to start somewhere, so I understand. basically you can go to the NJ Legislature (http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/) site. there you can look up how to contact your state senator and assemblyman. If you have any problems just tell me what town you live in, if you don't want to say it publicly on the board, just PM me and I can help you out.

Also, check out this MOST IMPRESSIVE Op-Ed piece that ran in today's issue of The Record:

I love this article, thank you for posting it. It's about time the newspapers have finally been saying this stuff. Giants and Jets have gotten a free ride from NJ - Codey's main thing was just keeping his sports teams in the state, no matter what the cost.

JerseyDevil
03-14-2006, 06:26 PM
One other thing, I find that CALLING and then following up with a letter is the best way. Calling them you have a one on one with at least an aide and get to have a conversation. The letter then reinforces your position in a formal manner.

JerseyDevil
03-14-2006, 07:12 PM
This is me again, A-Line.

I want to prove the article's last paragraph wrong.

But I've never been involved in any kind of protest before.

Aside from writing letters -- which I've done numerous times before and will gladly do again -- does anyone have any other ideas?

I'm ready to organize, and I'm not kidding.

I'd rather we have just the Devils if no other teams will take on the New Jersey name.

And NY/NJ combination names are no good either. New Jersey is a state, not some little no-name town or city. People have heard of it, I'm sure.

And New Yorkers are more than welcome to come root for New Jersey teams, just as some of us do with their teams.

Well I'm with you, the key is to get a number of people involved. I have some ideas We need to start doing it soon and we need to get the newspapers to tak notice. Without a lot of people, it's really difficult to get noticed. Do you know of anyone else who would get involved. PM me for my ideas. :)

NJPRIDE
03-14-2006, 08:08 PM
One word PETITION . I think the papers will be on our side , politicians who knows . But we have to let them know we mean business. We also have to let them know we arent happy with the snub the giants and jets give our state and with the state of N.J. bugget we will not allow them to give any n.y. team any money for any new stadium or improvements to the old stadium . We must force the metros to take our name ! I know this issue has alot of people pissed !

JerseyDevil
03-14-2006, 08:15 PM
I think it might need to be something even more than a petition, that would be one part of it. But there needs to be something that really captures some media attention. When the Giants put NY on their uniforms, someone created shirts with a modified logo that said "NJ Giants". Needless to say, the Giants wre so ashamed of having NJ next to their name that they threatened to sue him, but it did give a lot of attention to the cause.

NJPRIDE
03-14-2006, 08:27 PM
Maybe signs hanging from overpasses like the American flags on 287 and 80 .

NJPRIDE
03-14-2006, 08:58 PM
Or Get Bon Jovi or another famous Jerseyan to voice their opinion . Bon Jovi would be a good choice because he owns an arena football league team . There are plenty of famous proud people from this state who feel the way we do , the list is endless .

A-Line
03-14-2006, 11:15 PM
I'm all in for a petition, helping with signs, and whatever else we can come up with -- if anything. I'll also try to get others to support the cause.

Re those NJ Giants T-shirts that the Giants put a stop to five or six years ago: I still have mine!

Marianita
03-15-2006, 12:41 AM
:mad: This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever read. I will contact some of those people too. I have heard everything now. I cannot imagine why anyone would allow this. We need to fight it. I will do my part. Marianita

JerseyDevil
03-17-2006, 07:22 PM
I received a letter from Shirley Turner - Senator 15th District today. She pointed out a resolution- AR159 (http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2006/Bills/AR/159_I1.HTM) - which is before the legislature "requesting" that the name be changed to be "more representative of the state". I personally don't think NY should be in the name at all and will not support the team even if they had NJ, but keep NY. No NY money is going to fund this team or build the stadium - so why should NY be in the name.

ASSEMBLY RESOLUTION No. 159

STATE OF NEW JERSEY

212th LEGISLATURE

INTRODUCED MARCH 13, 2006

Sponsored by:

Assemblywoman JOAN M. QUIGLEY

District 32 (Bergen and Hudson)

Assemblyman VINCENT PRIETO

District 32 (Bergen and Hudson)

SYNOPSIS

Urges new name for the former NY/NJ MetroStars soccer team which is more representative of New Jersey.

CURRENT VERSION OF TEXT

As introduced.

An Assembly Resolution expressing great dissatisfaction with the owners of the NY/NJ MetroStars soccer team over the renaming of the team and strongly urging the adoption of a new name for the team which is more representative of the State of New Jersey.

Whereas, The NY/NJ MetroStars soccer team (the “team”) was purchased in 2001 by Anschutz Entertainment Group (AEG) from Metromedia; and

Whereas, The sale of the team to the Austrian-based Red Bull company was approved in March, 2006 and the Red Bull company thereafter announced that the team name is changed to Red Bull New York; and

Whereas, For the past ten years, the team has played its home games at Giants Stadium in the Meadowlands Complex, a facility owned and operated by the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority; and

Whereas, Not only have tens of thousands of New Jersey residents been loyal supporters of the team, but the team has directly benefited from the expenditure of public funds provided by the taxpayers of New Jersey for the development, maintenance and operation of Giants Stadium at the Meadowlands Complex; and

Whereas, The team is scheduled to relocate to a new stadium to be constructed in the Town of Harrison with substantial financial support from the Hudson County Improvement Authority and will thereby further benefit from the expenditure of public funds to finance the construction and development of that new stadium; and

Whereas, Renaming the team with a name more representative of this State would inform those watching and listening to broadcasts of soccer games from Giants Stadium or the new stadium to be constructed in Harrison that the team is located in New Jersey; and

Whereas, In light of the many contributions of the team’s loyal fan base and the expenditure of public funds during the past 10 years by the State of New Jersey, the removal from the team’s name of any reference to New Jersey displays a great lack of respect for the thousands of this State’s loyal soccer fans who have supported the team and for all the citizens of New Jersey who have contributed through the expenditure of their tax dollars to support the facilities used by the team; now, therefore,

Be It Resolved by the General Assembly of the State of New Jersey:

1. This House expresses great dissatisfaction with the Red Bull company for its recent decision to omit any reference to New Jersey when it changed the name of the NY/NJ MetroStars soccer team to Red Bull New York.

2. The Red Bull company is strongly urged to reverse its decision regarding the renaming of the NY/NJ MetroStars soccer team and to adopt a new name that is more representative of the team’s home state of New Jersey.

3. A duly authenticated copy of this resolution, signed by the Speaker of the General Assembly and attested to by the Clerk thereof, shall be transmitted to the Chief Executive Officer of the Red Bull company.

STATEMENT

This resolution expresses great dissatisfaction with the recent decision by the Red Bull company to change the name of the NY/NJ MetroStars soccer team to Red Bull New York and strongly urges the company to adopt a new name for the team which is more representative of the team’s home state of New Jersey.

I personally think the resolution is a bit weak, but as i said - some of the politicians stated that they were afraid of losing the money for Harrison. I would like to know where the New JERSEY Red Bulls will go.

Marianita
03-17-2006, 10:22 PM
:) Jersey Devil, I quite agree. Using the NY name is in no way representing the state of New Jersey. I just wonder if anything will be done. I wonder how it got started anyway. We will see what happens. Marianita

JerseyDevil
03-17-2006, 10:30 PM
:) Jersey Devil, I quite agree. Using the NY name is in no way representing the state of New Jersey. I just wonder if anything will be done. I wonder how it got started anyway. We will see what happens. Marianita
It got started becuase we have politicians who the money is more important than standing up to these teams. The Giants and jets were allowed to do it - so why not ALL the teams that play in NJ?

Marianita
03-17-2006, 10:44 PM
Politicians are usually filthy rich and money talks. I really do not think New York shoud be in any of New Jersey team names. I doubt that New Jersey name is in any of New York teams. Maybe if enough of us protest they will do something about changing things. :) Marianita

A-Line
03-21-2006, 12:07 AM
Last week The Record editorial staff put together a nice little editorial mocking the "Red Bull New York" name. But then, the next day, The Record published a letter to the editor from a New Jersey gentleman who doesn't understand what the big fuss is about. Check them both out:

The Record

March 15, 2006

What's In a Name?

By The Record's Editorial Staff

IT'S bad enough that the former MetroStars soccer team's new name doesn't include New Jersey.

"Red Bull New York" is a particularly painful snub, since it's a New Jersey team and will stay that way for a long time.

But the other half of the team's new name is even more upsetting. Red Bull is an energy drink, and the makers of the drink bought the team last week. So Red Bull New York is not just a team name but a powerful built-in -- and obnoxious -- advertisement as well. No other major U.S. sports team has a brand in its name.

"Crass" is the adjective that comes most readily to mind.

Another consideration: A lot of soccer fans are kids. But Red Bull isn't a drink for children. It's a high-caffeine sugary drink that college students on all-nighters use to finish term papers or study for exams. It's also used by some fitness buffs and extreme-sports athletes.

It's marketed mostly to teens and 18- to 25-year-old males. Some people combine it with a night of drinking alcohol because they can stay awake longer. Vodka and Red Bull is a popular cocktail.

Its makers say Red Bull is safe. It's the top-selling energy drink in a $3 billion U.S. market. But Red Bull and other energy drinks are banned in France, Denmark, Norway and Argentina because of health questions about their high-caffeine contents and whether they can become addictive. And it's OK to name a sports team after this potion?

What's next, the Vegas Viagras? The Milwaukee Miller Lites?

Give us a break.

http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjczN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk0MDUmZmdi ZWw3Zjd2cWVlRUV5eTY4OTcxMTgmeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZU VFeXkxNA==

The Record

March 16, 2006

Your Views

Regarding Jeffrey Page's column "Red Bull's snub of New Jersey is plain bull" (Other Views, March 14): I am always mystified at the chest thumping that New Jerseyans do whenever the subject comes up that a professional sports team in New Jersey is using New York as part of its name.

Most professional sports teams are named after the nearest major city, and not the location they play in. The Buffalo Bills, for example, aren't in Buffalo but Orchard Park, N.Y., and I've yet to see them complain that Orchard Park is being disrespected. Nor are the citizens of Massachusetts upset that the Patriots are called the New England Patriots.

I think we should be more worried about a team leaving than about what they want to call themselves. As long as the Nets don't move to Brooklyn, I'll be happy whether they call themselves the New Jersey Nets, the Newark Nets or anything else (just don't change the name to the Swamp Dragons, which they thought about doing awhile back).

You would think that with all the Jersey jokes out there, we'd all have a thicker skin by now.

William Angus

Bogota, March 14

http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXkxNCZmZ2Jl bDdmN3ZxZWVFRXl5Njg5NzUwMA==

While I can understand where the man from Bogota is coming from, I can also see that he is missing some main points.

There is no comparison between the city of Orchard Park and the state of New Jersey. Orchard Park has an approximate population of 29,000 people. The state of New Jersey has approximately 8.5 million people.

The name New England represents a whole region. The name New York represents New York -- city and state.

If some people around here think that it's perfectly OK that teams in New Jersey use the "New York" name, that the "New York" name represents our state, then how come the Nets -- if they move to New York -- are supposed to be called the Brooklyn Nets? Shouldn't they be called the New York Nets (like they once were)? After all, not only does the borough of Brooklyn have six million less people than the state of New Jersey but it is actually located in New York City!

To me, as far as the people of New Jersey are concerned, this whole name thing comes down to pride. Either you are proud to be from New Jersey (and its cities) or you're not!

I wish our state legislators would see it that way.

JerseyDevil
03-21-2006, 10:29 AM
The problem with NJ is that a lot of people are of the attitude of "so what" when it comes to this type of issue. However, I don't see any teams playing in NY with the NJ name attached to them. One of the key reasons for having sports teams, is about the marketing and the publicity when they are playing on TV. True most teams play in outskirting small communities, but NO TEAM, other than Washington DC teams, play in another state. It would be like the Celevalnad Browns moving to Eerie PA, having the tax payers of PA pay for a new stadium and saying - well we'll still be called the Cleveland Browns.

Another thing that bothers me is this NJ attitude that our cities are small. They are relatively small in population because they are small in land area. However, we have a huge metropolitan area which is rapidly building up into nice skylines along the river, along with Newark. NJ is NOT a suburb of NY. Some of our towns and cities are OLDER than NY.

With regards to the article itself. I disagree with the editorial about which is more ridiculous, calling the team NY or calling it Red Bulls. I didn't even know it was an energy drink, I had heard the name, but thought it was a beer. Either way - I'm not going to drink it. That part of the name I have no problem with, it's our tax dollars going to support a team that has NY in it's name. Enough is enough!

Marianita
03-21-2006, 05:41 PM
I wondered where I had heard that name, ''red bulls.'' lol. Well, tell me what I can do and I will do my part. If they ask me what city I live in what shall I say? Marianita:)

A-Line
03-21-2006, 09:33 PM
First, regarding the Red Bull New York team, I called my senator, Gerald Cardinale in District 39, to find out what, if anything, he was going to do about the new team name, and spoke with one of his aides. She took my message, and, later, someone else from his office called me back and left a message on my machine. The senator recommended I get in touch with the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority (NJSEA).

I also called one of my assemblymen, John E. Rooney, District 39, and spoke with one of his aides. Again someone called me back and left a message. She said that Rooney doesn't want to comment on the issue until someone brings up some legislation. I had told the woman earlier that I had heard that there was some legislation in the works.

At the advice of JerseyDevil, I am going to follow up my phone calls with a letter. I will also call and write my other assemblyperson.

Now, in other news, has anyone else heard that Rowan University is in talks with MLS to house a brand new soccer team in Glassboro? It seems that the league wants to tap into the Philly market.

So, eventually, New Jersey could be home to two MLS soccer teams. And there is a very good possibility that NEITHER of them will have a New Jersey-based name! (Articles on this subject are available on the websites for The Gloucester Times, Bridgeton News, Star-Ledger, Philadelphia Inquirer, et al. I found them easily by searching on those websites for recent articles on Rowan University.)

A-Line
03-21-2006, 11:46 PM
Here is a clip of an article that appeared in the March 21 issue of The Star-Ledger; it mentions both the proposed team in South Jersey and the Red Bull New York team in North Jersey:

The Star-Ledger

March 21, 2006

South Jersey Team Faces Owner, Name Issues

By Frank Giase
Star-Ledger Staff

This is a first. Major League Soccer always has relied on a simple 1-2-3 game plan for its franchises: 1. Team. 2. Owner. 3. Soccer stadium. And in times when No. 2 couldn't be found and No. 3 couldn't be built, No. 1 (see Miami Fusion and Tampa Bay Mutiny) could no longer exist.

Now Rowan University comes along offering a stadium plan in a market MLS has been drooling over for 10 years. The problem with Philadelphia always has been the lack of a local owner and no place to play.

So now the question is: If they build it, will he come?

MLS president Mark Abbott said yesterday that prospective owners would not likely commit until after the stadium plans are in place. Once that is done, an owner might help pay for the facility.

But under the agreement between MLS and Rowan, there is only a 120-day window to get a plan, which includes a developer and a funding package, in place. And in New Jersey, nothing gets done in four months (i.e., we've been hearing for two years that the bonds for the Harrison stadium will be issued in "60 to 90 days").

And then there's that name thing again. This team is not going to be called the South Jersey Whatevers and expect to draw its main fan base from Philadelphia.

And that leads to the quote of the week, from a high-ranking person familiar with the situation. "Can you imagine what the politicians will say if there are two MLS teams playing in New Jersey and neither one has New Jersey in its name?"

At the moment, the New York Red Bulls are trying to dodge a fight with New Jersey politicians who don't want another team that plays in Giants Stadium using another state's name.

Team president Alexi Lalas said fans need not worry about threats from the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority, which controls Giants Stadium, to ban Red Bull from using the building as long as it has New York in the name. The team has enough trouble selling tickets without having its home field in doubt.

"The New York Red Bulls will kick off April 8 at Giants Stadium," Lalas said.

But the controversy won't go away. Yesterday, State Assembly members Joan M. Quigley and Vincent Prieto, both Hudson County Democrats, introduced a bill expressing the state's frustration with the decision. Also, George Zoffinger said he will discuss the matter with the agency's board of commissioners at its meeting tomorrow. Zoffinger has threatened to take Red Bull to court, though the team's lease with the sports authority says nothing specific about its name.

http://www.nj.com/search/index.ssf?/base/columns-0/114292303850370.xml?starledger?colgia&coll=1

Here's the link to another article on the same subject, although there are plenty of other recent articles out there:

http://www.nj.com/search/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1142937713237880.xml?bridgeton?sports&coll=10

Honestly, this whole situtation makes me sad.

I don't see any of our politicians doing anything significant. Not yet, anyway.

I always dreamed that someday more and more New Jerseyans would see the light and back our own pro sports teams. Lately, though, it looks more and more like that was just a pipe dream.

I'm not giving up, though.

Go Devils.

NJPRIDE
03-22-2006, 08:17 PM
I have not given up in this fight either .

JerseyDevil
03-22-2006, 09:07 PM
There are SO MANY issues. I can't even stand that the newspaper is saying "South Jersey" with south capitalized. There is NO SOUTH Jersey or North Jersey - it is NEW Jersey. I say southern New Jersey to represent the southern portion of the state - since that's a geographic reference. That is why so many people treat New Jersey as two different states. But one issue at a time on this whole thing anyway.

NJPRIDE
03-23-2006, 04:55 PM
A small victory for New Jersey . The redbulls must use N.J. in their name if they want to continue to play at the Meadowlands . Unfortunatly we have to share the team name with the people across the river . Its nice to see the people in charge at the Meadowlands stick up for GOOD OLD NEW JERSEY unlike our politicans .

A-Line
03-23-2006, 06:59 PM
Once again, our state is getting the shaft as far as I am concerned. In a few years, we will only have the New Jersey Devils and the lacrosse team, whose name escapes me at the moment.

Two articles here, and nowhere do I see where it says that the Red Bull soccer team is going to include New Jersey in their team name. I see where it says that they will "change the team's logo that prominently displayed New York" -- notice that it doesn't say that they will "include New Jersey" in the team logo. I see where it says that "they will refer to New Jersey on their tickets and on collateral material, such as marketing brochures" -- what does that mean exactly, "refer to New Jersey?"

Call me skeptical but ...

Here are the two articles:

The Record

March 23, 2006

Soccer Team, N.J. Call Truce in Battle over New Name

By John Brennan
Staff Writer

EAST RUTHERFORD -- Red Bull New York is keeping its new name -- but the Major League Soccer team agreed Wednesday to refer to its New Jersey home "when appropriate."

The compromise came after a meeting between Red Bull executive Dan Ginsberg and George Zoffinger, president of the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority.

"They have committed to us that they will refer to New Jersey on their tickets and on collateral material, such as marketing brochures," Zoffinger said. "There was a good spirit of cooperation, where they will try to make New Jersey prominent whenever possible."

The truce comes two weeks after Zoffinger objected to the soccer team's name change from MetroStars to Red Bull New York. Zoffinger suggested that he might not allow the Red Bulls to play in Giants Stadium unless the franchise included New Jersey in its title. The soccer team began play a decade ago as the NY/NJ MetroStars, although it had largely dropped the geographical reference in recent years.

Governor Corzine, U.S. Sen. Frank Lautenberg and other elected officials protested the Big Apple-flavored name change by the Austria-based energy drink company, which bought the team recently.

But Wednesday morning, several members of the sports authority board -- including Joseph Buckelew and Ray Bateman -- told Zoffinger they were skeptical he could do anything about the name. The board members said that the more important issue was keeping the professional soccer team in New Jersey.

"For 30 years, we haven't been able to take 'New York' off the franchises here," Bateman said, referring to the New York Giants and New York Jets National Football League teams.

Zoffinger said Ginsberg informed him the company had not realized the importance to New Jerseyans to be included in the team name. The Red Bulls intend to exercise an option to play at Giants Stadium in 2007, Zoffinger said.

The franchise is expected to begin play in the new 20,000-seat outdoor Red Bull Arena in Harrison in 2008. But Zoffinger said an option likely would be added to play that year in Giants Stadium if construction work -- scheduled to begin in August -- were to be delayed.

A Red Bulls spokesman did not return a call seeking comment.

E-mail: brennan@northjersey.com

http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXkyJmZnYmVs N2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2OTAxOTY2

The Star-Ledger

March 23, 2006

Bully for New Jersey!

By Matthew Futterman

The soccer team Red Bull New York will have some New Jersey flavor after all.

The New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority and the company that recently purchased and renamed the MetroStars reached a compromise of sorts yesterday that will allow the team to continue playing in Giants Stadium. State officials had suggested they would prohibit the team from playing at the Meadowlands if it went by the name of New Jersey's neighbor to the East.

George Zoffinger, the sports authority's chief executive, said during a meeting yesterday Red Bull executives promised him they would print New Jersey along with New York on their tickets, incorporate New Jersey into its marketing material, and change the team's logo that prominently displayed New York.

-- Matthew Futterman

http://www.nj.com/metrostars/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/114309445487770.xml&coll=1

NJPRIDE
03-23-2006, 08:46 PM
The name of the lacrosse team is the N.J. Pride . This is a team who should get more coverage in this state for doing the right thing and taking our name . They will be playing their home games at Rutgers this season . My wife and I have gone to their games in the past and will go to some this year . Its good entertainment . The league added 4 more teams this year for a total of 10 . We should try to help promote this team by asking papers and news12 to cover this state team .Their website is www.newjerseypride.com
As far as the redbull goes I still will not support them because their owners and gm disrespected the state . I hope they are a complete failure on and off the field . And I hope the stadium deal in Harrison falls into the Passic river !:lmao:

JerseyDevil
03-23-2006, 09:37 PM
Oh - so our wonderful politicians and representatives have rolled over AGAIN!!!! I will not be supporting this team - what - they throw s bones "we'll include NJ where appropriate" I have had it! I am writing follow-up letters to the newspapers.

As for the stadum falling into the river - I don't wish that - it's our tax money going there. I just hope the stands are EMPTY when the RED BULLs play there. Let them suffer the finacial loss.

JerseyDevil
03-23-2006, 11:46 PM
I have just sent off a letter to various newspapers. I was initially writing it to George Zoffinger, but then the letter didn't make sense to send to him. Anyway, more people see the letters in the newpapers. I suggest to everyone to write to all the newspapers. Here are some e-mail addresses to get people started...

Home News: letters@thnt.com
Star Ledger: eletters@StarLedger.com
Bergen Record: LettersToTheEditor@northJersey.com

Have others you know write to them and CALL the Red Bulls.

Here is the latest letter...

So let me get this straight, New Jersey citizens have just had their taxes hiked up while we are building stadiums for teams who don’t even want to be associated with New Jersey?! I am outraged that New Jersey has rolled over and accepted the crumbs that the Red Bulls have offered. I can’t believe that anyone would honestly think that having the Red Bulls agree to incorporate New Jersey “where appropriate” is some sort of victory. The correct response to the Red Bulls would have been “If you don’t call yourself New Jersey, there is New York City – ask them to build you a stadium, but first make sure you ask the Nets where their deal is and where the Jets deal went.” Where were the Red Bulls actually going to go?

So now I want to know – how much is NJ worth? Does New Jersey have any sense of pride or self-respect? Do we have any politician who will actually stand up and fight for NJ? We should just sell the state to NY and be done with it! It sure would solve the budget deficit and lower our property taxes, something our politicians obviously can’t do. While the citizens of New Jersey are being taxed to death, we are giving hundreds of millions of dollars to sports teams who hold their heads down in shame when they have to admit they play in New Jersey.. I am just amazed, but I know I shouldn’t be. This is just more of the same.

As it stands I want to make perfectly clear that I think this is a complete slap in the face to NJ and I will not support this team as long as they have ANY New York mention in their name or marketing material, just as I will not support the Giants or Jets. I have traveled around the country, as well as Canada, where on numerous occasions people have actually insisted to me that New Jersey is part of New York and are truly amazed when I inform them that it isn't. I want to thank our "representatives" for just reinforcing this perception even more.

A-Line
03-24-2006, 12:25 AM
Excellent. That's a great letter. I hope they publish it.

Right now I'm alternating between fuming and bumming. I'm fuming at our state leaders who didn't stick up for the New Jersey people. And I am bumming that so many regular citizens stayed silent and just let this happen.

I've had letters on the New York team name topic published in both The Record and the Star-Ledger in the past. I'll write one up again -- I just have to let my head clear.

JerseyDevil
03-24-2006, 08:43 AM
Well I got an e-mail from the Bergen Record, they are going to be printing it, but because they only print 250 words, they are editing it. I'm waiting for them to send me an edited version so I can see what it looks like. I want to make sure it keeps the key points in there - such as - taxes hiked while spending millions on stadium deals, slap in the face to NJ and that I refuse to go to a Red Bulls game or see any team as long as they carry NY on their uniforms or in their name.

Oh and I just looked, the Star Ledger printed my previous letter in today' paper. So it appeared in the Home News and the Star Ledger.

JerseyDevil
03-27-2006, 10:43 AM
Well today my "letter" was in the Bergen Record (http://www.NorthJersey.com). However I'm not happy with one edit they made...

Regarding "Soccer team, N.J. call truce in battle over new name" (Page A-3, March 23):

So let me get this straight: New Jersey citizens could have their taxes hiked while we are building stadiums for teams who don't even want to be associated with New Jersey. I am outraged that New Jersey has rolled over and accepted the crumbs that the Red Bulls have offered. I can't believe that anyone would honestly think that having the Red Bulls agree to incorporate New Jersey "where appropriate" is some sort of victory.

The correct response to the Red Bulls would have been "If you don't call yourself New Jersey, there is New York City – ask them to build you a stadium, but first make sure you ask the Nets where their deal is and where the Jets deal went." Where were the Red Bulls actually going to go?

So now I want to know how much New Jersey is worth. Does New Jersey have any sense of pride? Do we have any politician who will actually stand up and fight for New Jersey? We should just sell the state to New York and be done with it.

I have traveled around Canada, where on numerous occasions people have actually insisted to me that New Jersey is part of New York and are truly amazed when I inform them that it isn't. I want to thank our "representatives" for reinforcing this perception even more.

Robert Rosetta

Trenton, March 24

The writer is president of AboutNewJersey.com, a Web site promoting New Jersey.

I'm glad they mentioned AboutNewJersey.com, but the part I am not happy with (I'll put this in spoiler code, so you have a chance to see if YOU an point it out) is

I have traveled around Canada...

Why is that so bad? Well because I have not ONLY heard this in canada, but also in our OWN Country in Indiana and Oregon. I feel they watered down the perception problem by rewording it so it only refer to citizens of another country not knowing that New Jersey is an independant state and not part of NY.

There was another letter in the paper and I wish that person would join the board and share his feelings here....

Regarding "Soccer team, N.J. call truce in battle over new name" (Page A-3, March 23):

So much for our state representatives fighting for the New Jersey name. The deal they just cut, whereby the soccer team keeps its new Red Bull New York name and only has to "refer to New Jersey on their tickets and on collateral material, such as marketing brochures" -- whatever that means -- is really lame.

So now the politicians and the sports authority are happy because they think the state might make some money. Strict soccer fans are happy because the new owners are offering some pretty good ticket deals and seem to be highly committed to building a winning team. New Yorkers are happy because, as the team grows and possibly contends for a championship, New York City will get all the recognition.

And, once again, average New Jerseyans are left feeling like losers because the state name apparently means nothing in particular to our leaders.

The New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority should change its name to the New York Sports and Exposition Authority because that's who it serves best -- New York.

Jason Paneque

River Edge, March 23

I like the last line - I couldn't agree with him more. We now have THREE New Jersey teams who will be wearing and known as New York. :mad:

NJPRIDE
03-27-2006, 07:37 PM
I have made more calls about this issue . I like many other New Jerseyans am fedup with our politicians who DO NOT represent us , but care more about money . These politicians must go and we must find those who will put N.J. FIRST ahead of money and new york ! The people at the Meadowlands are also sellouts they never had any intention of working for N.J.s interests .

Marianita
03-28-2006, 06:59 PM
Oh no, it sounds like a done deal to me. Atleast we can let them know how we feel about it. It is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. Marianita

JerseyDevil
03-28-2006, 07:39 PM
Oh no, it sounds like a done deal to me. Atleast we can let them know how we feel about it. It is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. Marianita
As far as I'm concerned - it's not over until NJ is completely annexed by New York. Our wonderful NJ politicians are bringing that day closer and closer though it seems. :mad:

Marianita
03-28-2006, 11:25 PM
Well we can make a fuss about it. I wonder if it can be changed at this time. Marianita

beatman10
04-01-2006, 01:03 PM
from removing "Anahein" totally from their name. The problem with our NJSEA is that Zoffinger is too busy having "arena wars" with Newark to stand up to the Redbulls. Remember when Ratner purchased the Nets, and Zoffinger made threats to sue the team from using the "NETS" name when the move to Brooklyn? Now he and Bruce Ratner are best buds!! Our head Sports Authority
guy is really a closet New Yorker!!:mad:

NJPRIDE
04-01-2006, 07:27 PM
You are right , Zoffinger it does look like is a liar just like ALL N.J. politicians , and hes not even a politician at least I dont think he is . Its nice to know that N.J. tax money paid for the home of 3 n.y. teams . All I can say is root for the Devils , the Pride ( our pro lacrosse team ) and at least for now the Nets . As far as the Nets go does anybody know whats up with their possible move ?

JerseyDevil
04-01-2006, 10:34 PM
guy is really a closet New Yorker!!:mad:
To tell you the truth - I think the majority of NJ politicians and New Jerseyans themselves are closet New Yorkers. Or at the very least, they have no sense of self respect and pride.

JerseyDevil
04-01-2006, 10:38 PM
As far as the Nets go does anybody know whats up with their possible move ?
From what I heard, there is no deal on the arena as of yet and the Nets may have to extend their contract in NJ. My money is going that NJ politicians will allow Ratner to put the "Brooklyn" in the name prior to them leaving NJ. J/K - I seriously hope not - otherwise there are going to be some seriousy protests planned on the Capital Building. But anyway - I had also heard some people say that they felt that if Ratner had to extend the contract in NJ - he may sell the team. He wants them in Brooklyn and out of New Jersey - PERIOD! I suppose he hates NJ, but if he can convince New Jerseyans to still support the team after they move to Brooklyn - he'll tolerate our money.

Marianita
04-01-2006, 11:38 PM
My goodness, a closet New Yorker? Why would anyone be so disloyal? I am surprised that 3 of the New Jersey teams wear NY names. When there is money involved some people will do anything, even be disloyal to their state. Marianita

JerseyDevil
04-02-2006, 02:39 PM
My goodness, a closet New Yorker? Why would anyone be so disloyal? I am surprised that 3 of the New Jersey teams wear NY names. When there is money involved some people will do anything, even be disloyal to their state. Marianita
I don't think from their stand point that they look at it as disloyalty. I think they just don't care about New Jersey's image or reputation. New Jersey is for sale by our politicians - pure and simple and it seems as if most New Jerseyans just turn a blind eye or they themselves don't care.

beatman10
04-02-2006, 08:39 PM
From what I heard, there is no deal on the arena as of yet and the Nets may have to extend their contract in NJ. My money is going that NJ politicians will allow Ratner to put the "Brooklyn" in the name prior to them leaving NJ. J/K - I seriously hope not - otherwise there are going to be some seriousy protests planned on the Capital Building. But anyway - I had also heard some people say that they felt that if Ratner had to extend the contract in NJ - he may sell the team. He wants them in Brooklyn and out of New Jersey - PERIOD! I suppose he hates NJ, but if he can convince New Jerseyans to still support the team after they move to Brooklyn - he'll tolerate our money.
The current scenerio that Ratner has with NJ is like having your spouse divorce you and then move back into your house because they're waiting for the right circumstance to move out. All the time they're still at your house, you're having to shell money out for their living expenses while they entertain other beaus. You'd be a sucker to to live like this, right? Well, that's how Brooklyn Bruce is treating us New Jerseyans.
The Sports Authority should tell Bruce "Oh sorry! Since you wanted to move to Brooklyn so bad, we thought you'd be gone, so we've scheduled other events for 2008 and beyond. I guess you'll have to find someplace in NY to play". No lease renegotiation, because in the long run that will just help Brooklyn Bruce get his eminent domain fueled pork palace!! And most New Jerseyans will NOT go to Brooklyn if and when the Nets move!!

JerseyDevil
04-02-2006, 08:45 PM
The Sports Authority should tell Bruce "Oh sorry! Since you wanted to move to Brooklyn so bad, we thought you'd be gone, so we've scheduled other events for 2008 and beyond. I guess you'll have to find someplace in NY to play". No lease renegotiation, because in the long run that will just help Brooklyn Bruce get his eminent domain fueled pork palace!! And most New Jerseyans will NOT go to Brooklyn if and when the Nets move!!
I agree with you - but the problem is that New Jersey has no backbone. This has been perfectly demonstrated by our so called representatives through the Jets and Giants deal - which if you read those threads you will see that they now have naming rights over the ENTIRE meadowlands Sports Complex, so bye bye Meadowlands. Then of course there is the wonderful New "York" Red Bulls. Untill New Jerseyans care about this state and develop a sense of pride and identity - the politicians will continue to sell us out.

JerseyDevil
04-20-2006, 09:02 AM
Just to let everyone know - I have not forgotten this. I have a new domain name that i will develop into another website. If you would like to domain name - just PM me. The site of course isn't up, but it will be in about a month I suppose. The domain name is short, sweet and to the point and I think everyone will like it.

We still need to get petitions going and so forth. Also, having shirts designed wouldn't be too bad. I hate using cafe press, I think they're such a ripoff when it comes to the wholesale price, but really I'm not trying to get rich off this thing. But if anyone else knows of any inexpensive, on demand, print outfits that do coffee mugs and t-shirts, please let me know. :) Also, if there are any artists out there who wish to contribute some art work, it would be greatly appreciated. :)

Marianita
04-20-2006, 10:50 PM
Hi Jersey Pride, I am not sure what the deal is as regards the new website but it sounds way cool and you can count me in. lol.:) :)

A-Line
04-20-2006, 11:21 PM
Just to let everyone know - I have not forgotten this. I have a new domain name that i will develop into another website. If you would like to domain name - just PM me. The site of course isn't up, but it will be in about a month I suppose. The domain name is short, sweet and to the point and I think everyone will like it.

We still need to get petitions going and so forth. Also, having shirts designed wouldn't be too bad. I hate using cafe press, I think they're such a ripoff when it comes to the wholesale price, but really I'm not trying to get rich off this thing. But if anyone else knows of any inexpensive, on demand, print outfits that do coffee mugs and t-shirts, please let me know. :) Also, if there are any artists out there who wish to contribute some art work, it would be greatly appreciated. :)

I haven't forgotten about this either. If we, and other people who feel the same way we do, don't ever speak up and take some kind of action, then no one ever will.

All it takes is a few people to get the ball rolling!

I have wanted to look into starting up a petition myself, but I have been so busy with my regular day-to-day life that I have not yet had a chance to look into it. I still have the link to that petition website you told me about.

Now that you are in the process of setting up a new website, I'll hold off on doing anything myself until I see what you have going on.

Two heads (or more) are better than one, or so the saying goes!

Marianita
04-21-2006, 10:53 PM
Hi A-line, I will do the same thing myself. After I see just what is being done it will give me an idea. Marianita

JerseyDevil
04-22-2006, 11:57 AM
Well well - I got the domain name. Just making this clear that this new site has no association with AboutNewJersey.com at all. DropNY.com (http://www.DropNY.com) is the domain name. Nothing up yet, but it wil need supporters and contributors.

JerseyDevil
04-22-2006, 07:16 PM
I just can't stop smiling. :) The Red Bulls lost their first game. :D

Red Bulls tumble against D.C. United (http://redbull.newyork.mlsnet.com/MLS/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20060422&content_id=57099&vkey=news_rbn&fext=.jsp&team=rbn)
By Dylan Butler / MLSnet.com Staff

E. RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- The New York Red Bulls suffered their first defeat of the 2006 season Saturday, and they can thank a New Jersey boy for that.

Alecko Eskandarian, whose father Andranik starred for the Cosmos at Giants Stadium, scored a double there to lift D.C. United to a 4-1 win over the Red Bulls. It was also the first regular season loss ever for Red Bulls coach Mo Johnston, who just two days earlier thought he was being forced out.

Eskandarian capped a dominating opening 45 minutes with his second goal of the year, and second against the Red Bulls. He picked up Freddy Adu's deflected cross and put a low shot past Tony Meola from 14 yards out. The Montvale, N.J., native celebrated in style, grabbing a can of the energy drink from Jamil Walker on the bench, taking a swig and then spitting it out on the artificial turf.

The most dangerous chance the Red Bulls had in the first half came in the 45th minute when Mike Magee, making his first start of the season, took a Youri Djorkaeff cross off his chest but D.C. United goalkeeper Troy Perkins did well to come off his line and challenge the ball before a shot could be taken. Magee dislocated his right pinky finger on the collision.

Things went from bad to worse for the Red Bulls in the 59th minute when Eskandarian made it 2-0 on a great series of quick passes from Brian Carroll and Ben Olsen. Eskandarian blasted the ball over Meola's left shoulder from eight yards out.

In case there was any doubt of the final result, Facundo Erpen put an end to that emphatically with a 40-yard rocket that Meola could only turn and watch fly over his right shoulder. It was the Argentine defender's second goal of the year, and his second against the Bulls.

For the first time this season, the Red Bulls started in a 3-5-2 formation with Djorkaeff moving behind the forward tandem of Edson Buddle and Jean Philippe Peguero. The Haitian international forward, who was acquired in a trade with Colorado less than 24 hours earlier, arrived at Newark International Airport at 12:57 p.m. ET and three hours later was in the starting lineup.

The Red Bulls struggled offensively with the new formation and lineup and rarely tested Perkins, who was four minutes from his third consecutive clean sheet. Djorkaeff scored his second goal of the year in the 86th minute slotting the ball past Perkins, who came off his line, on a feed from Magee. It was the first goal scored against United in 338 minutes, since the Red Bulls hit for two in the first 18 minutes of the season.

But D.C. came right back and made it 4-1 two minutes later when second-half substitute Walker ran onto a slick pass from Carroll and chipped his first goal of the year past Meola from 10 yards out.

Of the four players listed as questionable on the injury report, only Jeff Parke, who has been the Red Bulls' most consistent defender through three games, was ruled out.

The Red Bulls meet former coach Bob Bradley and Chivas USA next Saturday at The Home Depot Center, while United return home to RFK Stadium where they will face FC Dallas.

Dylan Butler is a contributor to MLSnet.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Soccer or its clubs.

D.C. United (3-0-1) vs. New York Red Bulls (0-1-3)
April 22, 2006 -- Giants Stadium

NJPRIDE
04-22-2006, 07:25 PM
YES 2 new york teams lost at the Meadowlands today,and the 1 NEW JERSEY team to play there today beat the snot out of 1 of them . LETS GO DEVILS ! Whats even funnier is the 70,000 empty seats at NEW JERSEYS Giants stadium .Yes I am a happy Jerseyan today also ! Have I said LETS GO DEVILS yet ?:D JERSEYDEVIL you should put a New Jersey Pride ( our pro lacrosse team ) and a New Jersey Jackels logo with your Devils and Nets logo next to your name . Afterall these 2 teams took our state name so we should promote them also !

Marianita
04-22-2006, 10:24 PM
Well, Jersey Pride. I cannot stop laughing either. You have made my day. heeheehee a Jersey team. I also cannot stop laughing over your domain name. It is great, very creative of you. lol How neat to be a part of this wonderful team we have here at aboutNewJersey.com. Marianita:)

JerseyDevil
04-22-2006, 11:17 PM
JERSEYDEVIL you should put a New Jersey Pride ( our pro lacrosse team ) and a New Jersey Jackels logo with your Devils and Nets logo next to your name . Afterall these 2 teams took our state name so we should promote them also !
I do promote them on the site, although I agree not as much at the moment. As for the avatar - I created this avatar for another messageboard when the Devils were in the finals for the Stanley Cup and the Nets were in the NBA Championships.

BTW - I have been on the NJ Pride messageboard in the past and saw that you are a member there. :)

Marianita
04-23-2006, 12:39 AM
Hi Jersey Devil, Let me know when your site is up and running. We will have alot of fun there. lol. Marianita:)

JerseyDevil
04-23-2006, 10:47 AM
Hi Jersey Devil, Let me know when your site is up and running. We will have alot of fun there. lol. Marianita:)
Well it's sort of there. I have a logo/banner and soem things that wil be coming soon with the site and then also the weblog. I just won't have much time at the moment to dedicate to it, so it will be sporatic.

Marianita
04-23-2006, 09:17 PM
Hi Jersey Devil, I know you are probably busy but it will be be cool when you do get things going. I can hardly wait. :) Marianita

davegering
04-30-2006, 06:30 AM
I was at the Arena Yesterday with my wife to see the Olympic iceskaters and I noticed that they were advertising the REDBULLS as the NY/NJ REDBULLS

Marianita
04-30-2006, 07:52 AM
Hi Dave, That sure sounds like a compromise to me. Maybe because people have complained or something.Anyway it is better then just New York. Marianita:)

Marianita
04-30-2006, 07:54 AM
Hi Jersey Devil, How are you doing on the new site? Did you find out about the coffee mugs and tee shirts? Marianita:)

JerseyDevil
04-30-2006, 11:23 AM
I was at the Arena Yesterday with my wife to see the Olympic iceskaters and I noticed that they were advertising the REDBULLS as the NY/NJ REDBULLS
Well they're only referred to as NY on their website and in the news - New York Red Bulls (http://redbull.newyork.mlsnet.com/MLS/rbn/index.jsp) They must be trying to appease New Jerseyans by giving us crumbs by advertising them as NY/NJ at the stadium. Well with me it's not going to work. Are the Mets, Knicks, Yankees called the NY/NJ Mets, etc?

BTW way - read this month's NJ Monthly for a nice arrogant article about Brett Yormark, president and CEO of the "(don't call them New Jersey)" Nets. I hope they lose now too. Here is a tiny quote "When Yormark is asked to defien Brooklyn, he says, it's "an iconic brand that transcends the metropolitan area...[and] is going to present some tremendous opportunities for us. Go to Europe and you'll find Brooklyn Lager," he notes. Yormark pauses before attempting to characterize New Jersey. When I think of New Jersey, I think of -- what does Bruce [Ratner] say? -- the underdog." Basically the article is about how he's trying to build up the Nets into this brand that will allow them to move the Nets over to Brooklyn, with New Jerseyans following like the rats in the Pied Piper. :mad:

JerseyDevil
04-30-2006, 11:33 AM
Hi Jersey Devil, How are you doing on the new site? Did you find out about the coffee mugs and tee shirts? Marianita:)
I haven't had much time to work on the new site, but I do have the store "up", howerver it's not ready to go live yet though. I ordered a t-shirt to make sure they look good (I'm concerned the pocket image might be too large). You can check out the design here - DropNY.com Store (https://www.cafepress.com/dropny) Let me know what you think and also about the prices. I also have bumper stickers which I think look good. :)

Marianita
04-30-2006, 10:45 PM
Hi Jersey Devil, I checked out the tee shirts and coffee mugs and like them. I think the cups are cool. The prices are not bad. :) I will probably buy a mug as I drink alot of coffee. :) Very cool,idea you had. Marianita

Marianita
04-30-2006, 10:51 PM
Jersey Devil, I cannot find the article in the April issue. I don't think my May issue is here yet. Let me know. I agree with what you say. Nj is getting crumbs.. Marianita

A-Line
05-03-2006, 12:48 AM
BTW way - read this month's NJ Monthly for a nice arrogant article about Brett Yormark, president and CEO of the "(don't call them New Jersey)" Nets. I hope they lose now too. Here is a tiny quote "When Yormark is asked to defien Brooklyn, he says, it's "an iconic brand that transcends the metropolitan area...[and] is going to present some tremendous opportunities for us. Go to Europe and you'll find Brooklyn Lager," he notes. Yormark pauses before attempting to characterize New Jersey. When I think of New Jersey, I think of -- what does Bruce [Ratner] say? -- the underdog." Basically the article is about how he's trying to build up the Nets into this brand that will allow them to move the Nets over to Brooklyn, with New Jerseyans following like the rats in the Pied Piper. :mad:

I just read the article on Brett Yormark ("The Optimist: Brett Yormark, president and CEO of the (don't call them New Jersey) Nets, wants fans as passionate as the NASCAR faithful--never mind where the future leads," New Jersey Monthly, May 2006, pgs. 35-39).

Basically this guy is a salesman -- albeit a very very successful salesman. I would normally despise a guy like this because he is trying to get New Jerseyans to root for a New York sports team -- yet again -- or what will eventually become another New York sports team. However, he is getting paid so I understand he is just doing his job.

The article does go on to say that, "as a [New Jersey] native," he is "saddened by New Jersey's inability to retain the [Nets]." And that "As a fan," he is "disappointed."

I am more disappointed in New Jersey Monthly for essentially glorifying a guy who is helping to build up a team that will be high-tailing it out of the state in a few years.

Hooray! Yippee! (sarcasm)

JerseyDevil
05-03-2006, 08:15 AM
I am more disappointed in New Jersey Monthly for essentially glorifying a guy who is helping to build up a team that will be high-tailing it out of the state in a few years.
I felt the same way here and feel like writing to NJ MOnthly about that very issue. What about doing a story about the Devils and their new arena - forget the Nets - they don't want to be here anymore, then leave. You can bet that if I was governor they would have paid a huge dollar amount to renew their lease while their arena in Brooklyn is still in negotiations. Knowing our state representatives though, they probably gave the naming rights to the Devils new arena to them in addition to low lease payments. :roll:

It's funny though, NJ had no problem retaining the team for all those years they were a bunch of losers. Now that they actually win, they turn their backs on us. Now NJ isn't good enough.

JerseyDevil
05-03-2006, 08:32 AM
Well I wrote my letter -

I really don't understand why you covered such an ungrateful team in your NJ Inc article. For one thing, they are NOT NJ Inc, they will be and for all purposes NY Inc. I thought this was a New JERSEY magazine which is supposed to be promoting New JERSEY, not sports teams who were, until a few years ago, the worst team in the league and now that they win, are picking up and turning their back on us. Bruce Ratner knows that the Nets can't survive without the New Jersey fans, that's why they are trying so hard to build up this "fan base" before they move. Brett Yormark is merely the pied piper who considers New Jerseyans the rats who will follow them to Brooklyn. Well this is one fan who isn't falling for the lies and slick packaging. They want to leave, then I say don't let the door hit you on the way out. The "(don't call them the New Jersey) Nets" spoke volumes to the attitude toward New Jersey and our politicians continue to let New Jersey get walked all over by these ungrateful sports teams. I say support the teams who are PROUD to be in New Jersey, not merely give lip service to it.

This really should be moved to the Nets thread. :)

JerseyDevil
05-04-2006, 12:34 PM
Juast to make peopole aware - the nets items will be moved to the Nets thread tonight. For the time being, I just wanted to say that NJ Monthly e-mailed me back and said they are considering my letter concerning the NJ Inc article for publication in their next issue. I'm hoping they will publish it and that they won't edit it too much. One thing is for sure, they better keep my "pied piper" and "rats" comment in there.

Marianita
05-04-2006, 05:09 PM
:) That is so cool Jersey Devil. You may become famous. There will be plenty of letters to the editor also. lol. Marianita

A-Line
08-11-2006, 11:26 PM
Well well - I got the domain name. Just making this clear that this new site has no association with AboutNewJersey.com at all. DropNY.com (http://www.DropNY.com) is the domain name. Nothing up yet, but it wil need supporters and contributors.

I'm sure you have a lot on your plate. But I just wanted to let you know that I still have an interest in your DropNY.com website.

Be sure to let us know when there are any further developments.

The Giants, Jets, Red Bulls don't play in New York!

Go Pride! Go Devils!

Go New Jersey!

Marianita
08-12-2006, 09:46 PM
Hi Jersey Devil, How is the domain coming along? I have not heard a thing about it for ages. I am interested also. Are you still working on it? Marianita

JerseyDevil
08-14-2006, 06:50 PM
Thanks A-Line and Marianita. A lot of times to get motivated in something it takes input from others. I haven't worked on the site in a while - I do have the general look and I think the logo looks good, but I haven't done anything with it since then. I do have shirts that I can sell off of CafePress, not that I actually make anything off of them through there. Check out the store and tell me what you think - http://www.cafepress.com/dropny

Marianita
08-14-2006, 07:33 PM
Hi Jersey Devil, The shirts look nice. Is there a reason you have not continued with the website? I am thinking that you may be planning how you are going to do it. Keep us posted. I know you work full time so are busy. Marianita

A-Line
08-14-2006, 11:34 PM
Thanks A-Line and Marianita. Check out the store and tell me what you think - http://www.cafepress.com/dropny

I like the bumper sticker and the backs of the shirts where the Giants, Jets & Red Bulls team names are listed with the NY crossed off and NJ scribbled on.

Nurvingiel
01-21-2008, 10:11 PM
JD, I did not understand why the New York Giants pissed you off so much until now. I didn't realise how many New Jersey professional teams tried to pass themselves off as New York for some inexplicable reason.

If I were in your shoes that would really tick me off too - it's an epidemic of weak cop-outs! And not only is the team jumping ship, they now have the worst name in the history of sports, the Red Bulls. Yet another reason for me to hate that stupid energy drink.

(Reason #1 is insidious and annoying advertising. The stupid Red Bull girls are always wandering around my university campus, giving out free drinks. Have some respect for yourself ladies and get real jobs.)

It's one thing to pay a team to stick your name on their stadium (GM Place, Safeco Field, etc.), it's a whole other ball game to actually rename the team. I hope Red Bull gets some seriously negative press for their heavy-handed renaming.

But why would the MetroStars allow this? I'm sure they could have put a condition on the team's sale that they stay named the New Jersey MetroStars, did Red Bull offer them so much money that they just couldn't refuse? Were they on the brink of bankruptcy?

What you guys need over there is some uppity Vancouverites to give them a hard time. This situation is analogous to the Vancouver Canucks being renamed the Alberta Red Bulls. There would be riots in the street. No, seriously. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994_Stanley_Cup_riot)

Edit: Appropriately, this post has elevated me to the rank of New Jerseyan. And I am proud to wear it! :)

JerseyDevil
01-21-2008, 10:24 PM
I'm happy to cal you "New Jerseyan" too. :)

The team was sold to the owners of Red Bull. They have a team in Germany also named Red Bull.

See - the teams feel that NY is better for marketing "no one knows where New Jersey is". That's what I'm always told. The thing is that if so many of the things that happen or take place in NJ - was marketed as New Jersey - people would know about us. The American Idol Auditions took place in NJ, but were marketed as NY. As a matter of fact - NJ contestants had to pretend they traveled to NY for it, even though it was taking place at the Meadowlands. Live Earth - the huge concert this past summer, was marketed as Live Earth NY. They went so far as having the location listed as Meadowlands NY on their website - not Meadowlands NJ as it should have been.

BTW 0 do you notice how spell checkers always mark New Jerseyan as a misspelling - however Californian, New Yorker, Carolinian are not?

Nurvingiel
01-21-2008, 10:40 PM
I'm happy to cal you "New Jerseyan" too. :)

The team was sold to the owners of Red Bull. They have a team in Germany also named Red Bull.Naming a team after a company, even if it's your company, automatically means your team has a stupid name. It simply divorces the team from actual sport too much - a team's name conveys a lot. When the Anaheim Ducks were owned by Disney and called the Mighty Ducks, was the first thing that came to mind that they were a talented hockey team? No. You think about that Emilio Estevez movie for which the team was named. The last thing a soccer team needs is their fans thinking "Red Bull gives you wiiiiiings" when they're watching a game.

See - the teams feel that NY is better for marketing "no one knows where New Jersey is". That's what I'm always told.The obvious response would be, "Then they should move to New York, because we don't need those wannabes." That is seriously feeble.

Besides, if you know something about American geography (I can only name two mountain ranges and two of your major rivers) you know where New Jersey is.

The thing is that if so many of the things that happen or take place in NJ - was marketed as New Jersey - people would know about us. The American Idol Auditions took place in NJ, but were marketed as NY. As a matter of fact - NJ contestants had to pretend they traveled to NY for it, even though it was taking place at the Meadowlands. Live Earth - the huge concert this past summer, was marketed as Live Earth NY. They went so far as having the location listed as Meadowlands NY on their website - not Meadowlands NJ as it should have been.American Idol has hit a new low.

BTW 0 do you notice how spell checkers always mark New Jerseyan as a misspelling - however Californian, New Yorker, Carolinian are not?As a Canadian I definitely sympathise. "Sympathise" is outlined as being wrong (I've enabled Firefox's spell checker) even though I know it's the correct British spelling. I use British "ise" endings just to rebel against American spelling always being the default.

Other words that are considered misspelled include:
silviculture
silvics
Vancouverite
Quebecker
Newfounlander

And I'm bored now.

A-Line
04-30-2008, 10:20 PM
I like the bumper sticker and the backs of the shirts where the Giants, Jets & Red Bulls team names are listed with the NY crossed off and NJ scribbled on.

I put the DropNY.com bumper sticker on my car's back bumper a few weeks ago. When I am stopped at traffic lights, I often look in my rearview mirror and see other drivers looking down and reading it.

One lady actually drove up to the side of my car as I was coasting, rolled down her window, and said that she liked my bumper sticker and that she was going to buy one.

Keep up the good work!

;)

www.dropny.com

Marianita
04-30-2008, 11:06 PM
Hi A Line. How have you been? I like the bumpersticker too and think it is cool. I would get one but I don't think it would make much of an impression here. :lmao:
I can imagine the attention that sticker is getting there. lol. Marianita

A-Line
04-30-2008, 11:31 PM
Hi A Line. How have you been? I like the bumpersticker too and think it is cool. I would get one but I don't think it would make much of an impression here. :lmao:
I can imagine the attention that sticker is getting there. lol. Marianita

Hey Marianita. I've been good, thanks! I float in and out of here every once in a while. But I'm always out and about supporting anything Jersey!

As for my DropNY.com bumper sticker, I bought my car new from the dealer a few years ago and never considered sticking a bumper sticker on it. But every now and then, driving around, I would see some really interesting bumper stickers on other cars -- mostly political stuff. That's when I decided to put the DropNY.com bumper sticker on my car.

I think bumper stickers can really tell you a lot about what a person believes. And I firmly believe in dropping the NY names from all of our pro sports teams so ...

:D

Hope you are doing well too!

JerseyDevil
05-01-2008, 02:27 PM
As for my DropNY.com bumper sticker, I bought my car new from the dealer a few years ago and never considered sticking a bumper sticker on it. But every now and then, driving around, I would see some really interesting bumper stickers on other cars -- mostly political stuff. That's when I decided to put the DropNY.com bumper sticker on my car.
Wow! i feel even more honored! Thank you for your support. I really wish i had more time to devote to that site than I do at this moment - especially before the Super Bowl. I could have gotten some reall media attention with that and really have gotten the word out that many New Jerseyans feel they should drop NY and preferably take NJ as their RIGHTFUL name - since they are New JERSEY teams and have nothing to do with that city across the river.

I have to get a new bumper sticker - I also don't put bumper stickers on my car - but I did put this one on my rear window (I have a 95 Trans Am)

I wanted to thank you once again for your support.

Monk
06-21-2008, 06:52 AM
Right, before I start I just want to say hello to everyone... I'm Just wondering how many people on here are against the takeover of New York/New Jersey MetroStars or MetroStars as they were known?

I am asking as I'm from England (and we love our football here) and I think that this isn't good for football, although you may think differently. If you are against the takeover, is it the majority of the MetroStars supporters that are also against the takeover?

JerseyDevil
06-21-2008, 09:29 PM
Right, before I start I just want to say hello to everyone... I'm Just wondering how many people on here are against the takeover of New York/New Jersey MetroStars or MetroStars as they were known?

I am asking as I'm from England (and we love our football here) and I think that this isn't good for football, although you may think differently. If you are against the takeover, is it the majority of the MetroStars supporters that are also against the takeover?
Welcome Monk. Soccer - or as it is called in Europe - football - is very big in New Jersey. I am against the takeover and renaming of the MetroStars. I hate it so much that I will not drink Red Bull at all.

I was wondering why exactly you think the takeover isn't not good for soccer? I figured it would basically just be a New Jersey issue and not affect the soccer world as a whole. I believe the Red Bull also own a team in Germany and of course named them "Red Bulls".

I hate any team that plays in New Jersey and claims to be a New York team. I understand they are doing terrible this year, I haven't been paying that much attention. I support the New Jersey Ironmen - which is our Major Indoor Soccer League team. Indoor soccer, is different than outdoor - but I'll support the proud to be in New Jersey team before ever giving a wannabe New York team the time of day.

see DropNY.com (http://www.DropNY.com) for more information.

BTW - if you are unfamiliar with the hatred between New York and New Jersey - I describe it as the historic relationship between Germany and France. It can also be described as England and France also. Instead of us going to war with each other - since we are a part of the same union - we take our fights to the Supreme Court.

Monk
06-22-2008, 05:19 AM
Although Red Bull New York isn't a franchise, like you said they neglect NJ and when a foreign owner comes in to buy a football club in England, everyone is suspicious of whether they are out to make money quick or whether they actually genuinely want the club to succeed. These foreign owners don't change the name, dump the history and move towns. So, upon hearing that Red Bull have bought a second team, after buying SV Austria Salzburg, I and many of my friends in football talked about this. We all agree that maybe this isn't right for football in America. It is an up and coming footballing country with exciting prospects and, right now it doesn't need something like this.

But that is just our opinion across the pond. :)

JerseyDevil
06-22-2008, 01:47 PM
Although Red Bull New York isn't a franchise, like you said they neglect NJ and when a foreign owner comes in to buy a football club in England, everyone is suspicious of whether they are out to make money quick or whether they actually genuinely want the club to succeed. These foreign owners don't change the name, dump the history and move towns. So, upon hearing that Red Bull have bought a second team, after buying SV Austria Salzburg, I and many of my friends in football talked about this. We all agree that maybe this isn't right for football in America. It is an up and coming footballing country with exciting prospects and, right now it doesn't need something like this.

But that is just our opinion across the pond. :)
That's it - it's Austria that the Red Bulls own the other team - not Germany. I don't think the Red Bulls care about the team and they definitely don't care about the New Jersey fans or NJ. Them owning the team is all about marketing Red Bull energy drink - whcih as I said I refuse to buy.

We have the same situation currently with Ratner and the NJ Nets. He bought our major league basketball team and is planning on moving them to Brooklyn. He doesn't care about the Nets at all - he's just using the team to try to gain support for his office/residential complexes he wants to build in Brooklyn. He's using the Nets arena as a selling point to the residents in the area - many of who will have to move and close up businesses to support his development. Of course his plan isn't going over too well and he has still experienced a lot of opposition. The owners of the NJ Devils are rumored to be in talks with Ratner on buying the NJ Nets and moving them to the Prudential Center in Newark where they were meant to go all along. The New JERSEY Devils are a true proud NJ team and I really do hope they buy out the Nets.

Getting back to the Red Bulls situation - I'm not sure if many people really care too much. Although the naming of the team was really ridiculed - usually a company buys the naming rights for an arena or stadium - the Red Bulls basically bought the team to slap their name on it for pure marketing purposes.

You can see that many teams in the US don't really care about the fans or where they play. They have no loyalty - hence why New Jersey is home to THREE teams who snub New Jersey and would rather be considered a New York team. As I said - I actively root against them and did NOT want the Giants to win the Super Bowl at all.

For the most part all sports are is about money and million dollar contracts for the players. The NJ Devils on the other hand have taken an active role in promoting Newark where they built their new arena last year.

The sad thing is - Hockey and Soccer are two of my favorite sports. I like fast sports with a lot of action and those two have it. I would be a "Red Bulls" fan if they called themselves New Jersey and if they showed any pride in where they play and for the fans. as long as they call themselves a New York team, I refuse to see a game. The only way I would attend anything with the Red Bulls is by wearing my DropNY.com shirt.

You can read some about how important I feel team loyalty is to the fans and their home in the AboutNewJersey.com Blog - Lakewood BlueClaws Soccer Night with the New Jersey Ironmen (http://blog.aboutnewjersey.com/2008/06/20/lakewood-blueclaws-and-new-jersey-ironmen/) article. I just can't stand teams who snub New Jersey and who all the fans are to them is just the next merchandise sale and ticket stub. I feel the NY Mets and Yankees only care about the sale of their merchandise and the fans fall for it. I don't see any loyalty for the fans when it comes to the Mets or Yankees. Like New York in general though - teams that carry NY on their uniforms usually are stuck up and only care about the money coming in and not the fan. There used to be a time when teams actually cared about where they played, about the fans and where it was about the love of the game. Now players are mostly into the next contract negotiation - so there really isn't any team loyalty among the players and the teams don't really care about where they play - just as long as they are bringing in the money through merchandise and ticket sales.

When the devils win the Stanley Cup - they take the cup on a NJ road trip and do a ton of public appearances throughout New Jersey. The Giants won the Super Bowl this year and what did they do - they had a parade in NY and raised ticket prices for next season as the great thank you to the fans. Not only that - but the owner said that this win was for the NY fans and completely left out their HOME fans of New Jersey. See teams view tying themselves to Ny as a marketing move - because they feel that people will like the team and follow the team more with NY attached to them. As far as I'm concerned - any team who plays in NJ and claims to be a NY team and get the hell out of New Jersey and go across the river. We don't need them.

It really upset me last year when the Giants went to England to play and never promoted their home, but instead promoted New York. I bet there was no mention of them being a New JERSEY team while they were out in England - so basically the Giants gave one big advertisement for the over inflated ego of New York.

Monk
06-22-2008, 05:35 PM
Firstly, I just wanna say that when the Giants played at Wembley I didn't know that so many English people would wanna see American Football (no offence intended) but, and I live in Wembley, it was packed.

Anyway, I know franchising in America is common and the people that buy them only care where the next buck comes from which is probably why that English people are against it happening here. Take the football team called Wimbledon as an example. They had a good history with several high profile players in the '90s and when it came to the '00s they upped sticks and moved town, changed their name and forgot their history in favour of "making a fresh start".

Now, when a club in England changes their name (i.e. Leigh RMI to Leigh Genesis) many people don't think much of it as they generally keep the name and history etc. But with Wimbledon, everything changed and everyone was shocked and appalled... It was unheard of, and only a minority of the Wimbledon fans vowed to support the new "Milton Keynes Dons". The majority of the Wimbledon fans wanted a team, a team that would keep the Wimbledon name, crest, stadium and history. They formed this new team "AFC Wimbledon" and although a new crest was created it was very similar to the old one. AFC Wimbledon kept the previous history but lost the stadium as the owner of MK Dons sold it to a supermarket chain.

AFC Wimbledon have been very successful and have won about 7 trophies/leagues in 7 years to MK Dons' 2 trophies (although they compete in different leagues and cups). This is similar to Red Bull New York and FC Red Bull Salzburg except for moving cities. Again though, people in Austria formed a team with the same name, crest and history as they were against the takeover in the first place.

At the moment, it would be impossible for me and my footballing colleagues to set up a team for the fans in NJ (that would keep the NJ MetroStars) name but somewhere in future we would love to do that as well as buying the plot of land where AFC Wimbledon's stadium used to stand. This won't be possible straight away but it is on our list.

P.S. Sorry for the long winded reply!

Monk
06-22-2008, 05:52 PM
...although a NEW crest was...

Apologies

JerseyDevil
06-22-2008, 06:08 PM
Firstly, I just wanna say that when the Giants played at Wembley I didn't know that so many English people would wanna see American Football (no offence intended) but, and I live in Wembley, it was packed.

Not offended. Actually it was a big deal as to how well the teams and game would be supported in England. I used to know a lot of people from England and their general view of American Football was that it was an over protected version of rugby and basically not worth seeing. It was surprising at how big the whole thing ended up being over there, I really didn't expect it. I must say - all the merchandise and stuff for that game will most likely be worth a lot - since the Giants did end up winning the Super Bowl.

Anyway, I know franchising in America is common and the people that buy them only care where the next buck comes from which is probably why that English people are against it happening here. Take the football team called Wimbledon as an example. They had a good history with several high profile players in the '90s and when it came to the '00s they upped sticks and moved town, changed their name and forgot their history in favour of "making a fresh start".

Now, when a club in England changes their name (i.e. Leigh RMI to Leigh Genesis) many people don't think much of it as they generally keep the name and history etc. But with Wimbledon, everything changed and everyone was shocked and appalled... It was unheard of, and only a minority of the Wimbledon fans vowed to support the new "Milton Keynes Dons". The majority of the Wimbledon fans wanted a team, a team that would keep the Wimbledon name, crest, stadium and history. They formed this new team "AFC Wimbledon" and although a neam crest was created it was very similar to the old one. AFC Wimbledon kept the previous history but lost the stadium as the owner of MK Dons sold it to a supermarket chain.

So in England who basically owns the teams? Are they started by the towns/cities they play in? Does the league control who can and can't have a team? Like right now, NJ has wanted to have a Major League Baseball team - but Steinbrenner - the owner of the New York Yankees said that New Jersey will NEVER have a team as long as he is alive. When the Montreal Expos decided to leave Montreal, New Jersey made an small effort to attract them. They are now the Washington Nationals.

AFC Wimbledon have been very successful and have won about 7 trophies/leagues in 7 years to MK Dons' 2 trophies (although they compete in different leagues and cups). This is similar to Red Bull New York and FC Red Bull Salzburg except for moving cities. Again though, people in Austria formed a team with the same name, crest and history as they were against the takeover in the first place.

I wish there was this kind of pride in New Jersey like there is in Europe and other states. Hosting a sports team is basically so the citizens can feel a part of it and have some sort of identity with the team. I'm sorry - I don't live in NY - don't want to live in NY and don't care about NY - and it will be a cold day in hell before I support a NY team - especially a New Jersey team trying to pass themselves off as a NY team.

At the moment, it would be impossible for me and my footballing colleagues to set up a team for the fans in NJ (that would keep the NJ MetroStars) name but somewhere in future we would love to do that as well as buying the plot of land where AFC Wimbledon's stadium used to stand. This won't be possible straight away but it is on our list.

There was supposedly talk of having another Major League Soccer team in the area and them carrying the MetroStars name and the history. The Red Bulls response was that they own the history of the MetroStars - even though the only consider their founding to be 2006.

Right now - what I am hoping for is that the Red Bulls have such terrible attendance that the owners sell them to someone who wants to promote them as New JERSEY team. They haven't been doing too well lately - they supposedly have lost a number of key European players the last couple of weeks - I believe one of them was from Spain.

It would be great if someone from Europe who knew the history of the fight between NY and NJ would start a REAL ML Soccer team in New Jersey and call them "New Jersey ...." I wouldn't care too much if they carried the MetroStars name on them - just as long as they were a TRUE soccer team and not merely a marketing gimmick like the Red Bulls are. Like I said - I really do love soccer and it was one sport I really enjoyed playing too.

P.S. Sorry for the long winded reply!
Now problem on the length in posts, as you can see I write a lot too. :)

JerseyDevil
06-22-2008, 06:36 PM
...although a NEW crest was...

Apologies
No problems. You can actually go into your post and edit - just hit the edit button on the post you wish to edit (of course it has to be one that you wrote). I did make the correction for you however - having administrator powers gives me that ability :). I just wanted to let you know how to do it though.

Monk
06-23-2008, 04:25 AM
Not offended. Actually it was a big deal as to how well the teams and game would be supported in England. I used to know a lot of people from England and their general view of American Football was that it was an over protected version of rugby and basically not worth seeing. It was surprising at how big the whole thing ended up being over there, I really didn't expect it. I must say - all the merchandise and stuff for that game will most likely be worth a lot - since the Giants did end up winning the Super Bowl.:)

I watched a program were an American family lived in England for a bit. They went to see a rugby game and were shocked by the players not wearing protection. I play rugby occasionally and it is a hard hitting sport but not really different to American Football. I mean yeah them guys wear protection but some of the tackles make me look like this :eek: lol

So in England who basically owns the teams? Are they started by the towns/cities they play in? Does the league control who can and can't have a team? Like right now, NJ has wanted to have a Major League Baseball team - but Steinbrenner - the owner of the New York Yankees said that New Jersey will NEVER have a team as long as he is alive. When the Montreal Expos decided to leave Montreal, New Jersey made an small effort to attract them. They are now the Washington Nationals.

In England, it basically is businessmen/women that have shares in the club. Sometimes, though it is just one businessman as the chairman/owner and he has a board that assist, for instance vice-chairman, chief executive etc. Although every football club have a board, some aren't as 'active' as others. In the Premier League about half the League teams have foreign owners. The owners of any club in England will hardly ever make it look like there in it for money because fan power is huge and an empty stadium each week will hit his profits massively. In the late 1800's, when football was first codified by the FA (but also a few years before), towns and cities formed football teams. Many of these football teams are still around today and, somewhat unfortunately, teams go out of business. Usually a local entrepenuer will buy a plot of land and try and get a new team going in the wake of the old one. The League has a body which are responsible for everything in their League. Sometimes, like what happened to Boston United, the League can reject a team playing in the League because of Administration etc. Some of these bodies have more than one League, i.e. The Football League has three Leagues.

There was supposedly talk of having another Major League Soccer team in the area and them carrying the MetroStars name and the history. The Red Bulls response was that they own the history of the MetroStars - even though the only consider their founding to be 2006.

Right now - what I am hoping for is that the Red Bulls have such terrible attendance that the owners sell them to someone who wants to promote them as New JERSEY team. They haven't been doing too well lately - they supposedly have lost a number of key European players the last couple of weeks - I believe one of them was from Spain.

It would be great if someone from Europe who knew the history of the fight between NY and NJ would start a REAL ML Soccer team in New Jersey and call them "New Jersey ...." I wouldn't care too much if they carried the MetroStars name on them - just as long as they were a TRUE soccer team and not merely a marketing gimmick like the Red Bulls are. Like I said - I really do love soccer and it was one sport I really enjoyed playing too.

Well I mean as a group of people in football we would love try something like this. I feel that, as someone who has shares in a football club, I would one day like to not just be a shareholder but also an owner and I know that a few of my colleagues and friends might too.

MagicOPromotion
05-24-2009, 04:12 PM
Im a transplant from Brooklyn to NYC. I have no car and take the Chinatown bus, but I occasionally have friends visit with cars.

My friend Mary will be down the week of July 15th. Is that too far away?

webkid90
06-02-2009, 08:33 AM

A-Line
06-02-2009, 09:11 AM
Unfortunately, a big part of the problem here in New Jersey is that too many people are indifferent to the name. When the MetroStars were sold and the new owners decided to call the team Red Bull New York, most of the fans from New Jersey just shrugged their shoulders and accepted the New York name without much of a fight.

A few politicians protested briefly, but it never led to anything, and the issue was dropped shortly thereafter.

The town of Harrison very likely is so thrilled that the new stadium is being built there that no public official will say anything negative about the soccer team.

Similarly, barely anyone in the state seems to care that the Giants and Jets football teams continue to use the New York name even after playing in New Jersey for 33 and 25 years respectively.

It's pretty sad, really.

There are probably many New Jersey Nets basketball fans that care about the New Jersey name, but their biggest concern right now is wondering whether or not the team is going to move to Brooklyn, N.Y., in the near future as that is what the team's owner wants to do.

At the present moment, the only major pro sports team in New Jersey whose fans are seemingly proud of the New Jersey name is the Devils hockey team. This past season, the Devils marketing department capitalized on the New Jersey name in its promotions by running "Jersey's Team" advertisements in TV commercials and on billboards and giveaway towels. And partly because of that, most of the team's fans are quite enthusiastic about the team's name.