PDA

View Full Version : Kolchak, the Night Stalker

DebbieSans
12-12-2005, 10:28 PM
Just wondering if anyone has anything to say about the new Kolchak show. I was a big fan of the original when I was a kid (as cheesy as it was) but haven't been able to catch the new one yet.

Regards,
Debbie

JerseyDevil
12-12-2005, 10:33 PM
I haven't heard of this show, not even the older one. What channel is it on and what's it about? I'm looking for more of an answer than "it's about a night stalker" :p

DebbieSans
12-12-2005, 10:48 PM
I haven't heard of this show, not even the older one. What channel is it on and what's it about? I'm looking for more of an answer than "it's about a night stalker" :p

I'm not sure what channel the new one is on (I know it's on Thursdays because that's the night I have band rehearsal which is why I never catch it). The original series aired back in the mid 70s and starred Darren McGavin (he was also the dad in the movie "A Christmas Story" (aka "You'll Shoot Your Eye Out").

He played Kolchak, a newspaper reporter who wrote about the paranormal. He'd get involved with investigating all sorts of creatures and creepy stuff. It was scary (probably because I was 11) and a bit comedic because he was kind of a goof and would always get in trouble with his boss for sticking his nose where it didn't belong.

Regards,
Debbie

davegering
12-13-2005, 07:51 AM
Here is a webssite with some info

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0460665/

MITHRANDIR
12-13-2005, 09:44 AM
I'm not sure what channel the new one is on (I know it's on Thursdays because that's the night I have band rehearsal which is why I never catch it). The original series aired back in the mid 70s and starred Darren McGavin (he was also the dad in the movie "A Christmas Story" (aka "You'll Shoot Your Eye Out").

He played Kolchak, a newspaper reporter who wrote about the paranormal. He'd get involved with investigating all sorts of creatures and creepy stuff. It was scary (probably because I was 11) and a bit comedic because he was kind of a goof and would always get in trouble with his boss for sticking his nose where it didn't belong.

Regards,
Debbie
The show (IMO) had a feel of a more grown-up scooby-do except that there usually were no people with masks at the end of the show. (ie a monster or supernatural event of the week, though it was usually done with plenty tongue-in-cheek and sarcastic humor.)

Sci-Fi channel sometimes runs an all-day (8am-4pm) marathon of Kolchak.

I do not know if the new version has a different story line/premise than the 70s series.

DebbieSans
12-18-2005, 07:51 AM
The show (IMO) had a feel of a more grown-up scooby-do except that there usually were no people with masks at the end of the show. (ie a monster or supernatural event of the week, though it was usually done with plenty tongue-in-cheek and sarcastic humor.)

Sci-Fi channel sometimes runs an all-day (8am-4pm) marathon of Kolchak.

I do not know if the new version has a different story line/premise than the 70s series.

I would say your "grown-up Scooby Doo" analogy is right on the money : )
Speaking of Sci-Fi channel marathons, is anyone into watching the Twilight Zone marathon they run on New Year's Eve?

Regards,
Debbie

davegering
12-18-2005, 08:02 PM
im a Twilight Zone Junkie

MITHRANDIR
12-19-2005, 12:30 PM
I would say your "grown-up Scooby Doo" analogy is right on the money : )
Speaking of Sci-Fi channel marathons, is anyone into watching the Twilight Zone marathon they run on New Year's Eve?

Regards,
Debbie

I may watch bits and pieces, but I will not sit through and watch it from beginnig to end.

I enjoy most episodes of the Twilight Zone, but I usually do not go out of my way to watch it.

I enjoy the twists that usually goes with the Twilight Zone. The show sometimes really gets me thinking.

davegering
12-20-2005, 08:19 AM
Do you know how Rod Serling came up with the idea for the Twilight Zone. During World War 2 he and his troop were on the battle field. The Red Cross dropped Packages to them and one fell on his best friends Head and Killed him.

MITHRANDIR
12-20-2005, 11:17 AM
Do you know how Rod Serling came up with the idea for the Twilight Zone. During World War 2 he and his troop were on the battle field. The Red Cross dropped Packages to them and one fell on his best friends Head and Killed him.

Sad, yet ironic. People actually kill someone they are trying to help.