PDA

View Full Version : New Jersey State Song

JerseyDevil
03-16-2004, 06:51 AM
Remember - you must be registered to take part in this poll. If you would like to vote, please register, we would be happy to have you as a member.

Now with that being said, on with the post :D
-----------------------------------------------------
I wanted to discuss the editorial about the New Jersey State Song - or the lack of one.

For information on the state song and to listen to the various versions, please look at the "AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey State Song Editorial (http://www.aboutnewjersey.com/editorials/stateSong_3_15_04.htm)" page.

I'm interested in what people think makes a good state song, does New Jersey need one, which one would you choose if you had to, and anything else people might want to discuss in relation to the New Jersey State Song.

The following items are things which in my opinion are required for a good state song...

1) Must make the citizens proud
2) Must mention what makes that state different than others
3) Must instill a positive image
4) Must be singable and memorable

Finally - I would like to say what a great job the Van Holten Elementary School did on developing the "In New Jersey" song. If anyone read the editorial, it should be no secret that this is the one that I support.

Lin
03-18-2004, 05:01 AM
Why doesn't New Jersey have a State Song? When it gets one, when will it be used? Who gets to choose the State song?

JerseyDevil
03-18-2004, 05:03 AM
So why doyou think New Jersey needs a State Song?

All the other states have a state song, it shows state pride.

When will it be used?

it would be used to represent the state in commerials, special events, it's like a countries anthem.

Who gets to choose the State song?
The New Jersey Legislature chooses the state song.

Lin
03-18-2004, 05:15 AM
I see. So the normal citizens themselves don't get to choose one?

I'm trying to download some of those songs now, I'll get back to you with which I like best. :)

JerseyDevil
03-18-2004, 05:18 AM
I see. So the normal citizens themselves don't get to choose one?

Well we could - if they put it to a referendum. But the legislature usually decides. Hey that's why they are voted into office. :P

I'm trying to download some of those songs now, I'll get back to you with which I like best. :)
Cool- I'll be waiting for your opinion.

Aussie Cousin
03-18-2004, 10:18 PM
I'm going to listen to the songs as well, and then see if I can't come up with my own...

It'll be a good'n... Trust me mate :D

JerseyDevil
01-22-2006, 12:42 AM
Another site (Area Connect (http://www.areaconnect.com/state.htm?s=NJ)I have discovered lists "I'm from New Jersey" as the state song. :roll:

I wrote them an e-mail...

I just wanted to send an e-mail to let you know that New Jersey does NOT have a state song. You have "I'm from New Jersey" listed as the state song on - http://www.areaconnect.com/state.htm?s=NJ While I believe Red Mascara has been promoting his song for quite a long time as the state song, it is not.

If you would like more information on the NJ state song - you may go to - http://www.aboutnewjersey.com/AboutNewJersey/Facts/stateSymbolsFlag.htm and http://www.aboutnewjersey.com/editorials/stateSong_3_15_04.htm

I hope you will make the correction.

Thank you -

Robert Rosetta, President
AboutNewJersey.com

Marianita
02-10-2006, 08:22 PM
Hi Jersey Devil, I definitely think we need a state song. Iam all for it. Marianita

NJPRIDE
02-11-2006, 10:15 PM
I believe I heard proud New Jerseyan Jon Bon Jovi is allowing the song Who Says You Cant Go Home to be used by the state this spring to promote tourism . The song is on his current cd ,and he is not going to charge the state to use it . NEW JERSEY HISTORY SECOND TO NONE !

Marianita
02-11-2006, 10:26 PM
Hi NJPride, That's awesome. I think it is very kind of Jon Bon Jovi to allow his song to be used without cost. He was after all born there in NJ I believe. Apparently New Jersey does not have a state song for sure and now will. When will this take effect? I am surprised it did not happen sooner but better late then never. So lesgislature decides? Too bad it cannot be voted on by the people. Oh well, as long as we get one. Marianita

JerseyDevil
02-11-2006, 10:27 PM
I believe I heard proud New Jerseyan Jon Bon Jovi is allowing the song Who Says You Cant Go Home to be used by the state this spring to promote tourism . The song is on his current cd ,and he is not going to charge the state to use it .
He is - which is great. It's on the radio - and then with it being on the tourism commercials people will defintely be thinking about New Jersey a lot. :) Bon Jovi is a proud NJ and I remember him saying great things about NJ in a article - he did have a message for New Jerseyans though, don't tell everyone how great NJ is because then more people will want to come here and spoil it all. :) He said "let's keep our great secret".

JerseyDevil
02-12-2006, 01:49 AM
Apparently New Jersey does not have a state song for sure and now will. When will this take effect? I am surprised it did not happen sooner but better late then never. So lesgislature decides? Too bad it cannot be voted on by the people. Oh well, as long as we get one. Marianita
Actually NJ still won't have a state song. This will only be used for the tourism commercials. I still support "In New Jersey" as the state song.

Marianita
02-12-2006, 09:20 AM
Hi JD, I would like to see the words to the what is being used for the state song such as it is so will check out that link. I was not aware that an elementary school had come up with one. That sounds good. Maybe Jon Bon Jovi can use his too. It seems that the real advantage to having one is that the chilldren will learn it quite young and feel an appreciation of their state. I remember learning, ''Maryland my Maryland.'' Take care, Marianita

Jersey Warren
04-14-2006, 09:12 AM
It's so nice to be among like-minded people!

I just voted for "In New Jersey" by the 4th grade students of Van Holten Elementary School in Bridgewater.

I recently came across "I'm from New Jersey" by Joseph Rocco aka Red Mascara, and was not impressed with it at all. It reminds me of "If You Knew Susie Like I Knew Susie," which was featured in the movie about Eddie Cantor. It is too 1920s in its sound.

The other song "New Jersey My Home" by Patrick Finley of Teaneck (which is my birthplace, incidentally!) is more dignified but moves like a dirge and has that 1890s, college sound, like JD said.

I liked "In New Jersey" right away. It's happy and upbeat and I'm a sucker for kids singing. It reminded me very much of another song about Mill Valley, California. If you never heard of it, here's a link to the story:

http://www.mvschools.org/sp/profile/song.htm

And if you have Real Player you can listen to a brief cut from it:

http://www.artistdirect.com/nad/music/artist/listenwatch/0,,514219,00.html

When I heard the Mill Valley song I thought it would be wonderful to have an upbeat song like that to make you proud of your home. "In New Jersey" has the potential to do the same thing for our home state.

JerseyDevil
04-14-2006, 07:02 PM
When I heard the Mill Valley song I thought it would be wonderful to have an upbeat song like that to make you proud of your home. "In New Jersey" has the potential to do the same thing for our home state.
Yes I think we need an upbeat song and something that people can sing. I also want a song that represents NJ and describes New Jersey. The thing about Red Mascara is that he also promotes his "new Jersey" song as something that anyone can modify for their town or state. I don't see how it's unique to NJ when he has a Philadelphia version or a Princeton version, etc. This may sound crass, but I want a song that is easily recognizable, memorable and can be used in New Jersey tourism commercials.

NewarkDevil5
05-01-2006, 12:53 PM
I'd love to have Jersey Girl by Bruce Springsteen as our State Anthem.

davegering
05-01-2006, 03:37 PM
its actully not a Springsteen song its i believe Brian Weight

Marianita
05-01-2006, 10:19 PM
Hi Newarkdevil5, What a fabulous idea. I can relate being a Jersey girl myself, (at heart) lol. So who actually sings the Jersey girl song? I would like to purchase the CD. I did not realize there are so many songs about New Jersey. How very wonderful. Marianita:)

davegering
05-02-2006, 05:53 AM
Springsteen sings it but it is only on his live 75-85 CD
Here are the lyrics

I got no time for the corner boys
Down in the street making all that noise
Or the girls out on the avenue
`cause tonight i wanna be with you
Tonight i'm gonna take that ride
Across the river to the jersey side
Take my baby to the carnival
And i'll take her on all the rides

`cause down the shore everything's all right
You and your baby on a saturday night
You know all my dreams come true
When i'm walking down the street with you

Sha la la la la la la
Sha la la la la la la la la
Sha la la la la la la
Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

You know she thrills me with all her charms
When i'm wrapped up in my baby's arms
My little girl gives me everything
I know that some day she'll wear my ring
So don't bother me man i ain't got no time
I'm on my way to see that girl of mine
`cause nothing matters in this whole wide world
When you're in love with a jersey girl

Sha la la la...

I see you on the street and you look so tired
I know that job you got leaves you so uninspired
When i come by to take you out to eat
You're lyin' all dressed up on the bed baby fast asleep
Go in the bathroom and put your makeup on
We're gonna take that little brat of yours and drop her off at your mom's
I know a place where the dancing's free
Now baby won't you come with me
`cause down the shore everything's all right
You and your baby on a saturday night
Nothing matters in this whole wide world
When you're in love with a jersey girl

Marianita
05-02-2006, 05:20 PM
I like the lyrics. That is a nice song. Well, one thing is for sure. You do not have to be from New Jersey to be a Jersey girl. lol:)

Jersey Warren
05-03-2006, 09:15 AM
I like the lyrics. That is a nice song. Well, one thing is for sure. You do not have to be from New Jersey to be a Jersey girl. lol:)

Amazingingly, Jersey Girl is one of the few songs Bruce Springsteen sings that he did not write. It was written by a guy named Tom Waits, who was born in Pomona, California!

I especially enjoy a live recording of the song done at the Meadowlands wherein every time Bruce mentions Jersey, Jersey Girl or even "the Shore" the place goes absolutely WILD with screaming and applause.

Whenever I hear those parts, they give me a real sense of New Jersey pride.

On the whole, I like the lyrics, but I wish Waits hadn't included the part about "We're gonna take that little brat of yours and drop her off at your mom's." I know it's tough being a single Mom, but it gives me the impression that the child is an afterthought and comes after the mother's social life. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, as a result of my years spent as a single between marriages. It's not a "biggy" just my personal preference.

davegering
05-03-2006, 12:21 PM
That is the version of the song that is on Bruces live 75-85 album

NewarkDevil5
05-03-2006, 12:27 PM
I have the Bruce Springsteen live concert record collection and didn't realize that he didn't write it. But nevertheless, every time I hear that song and hear the crowd cheer at the mentions of the Jersey Side a chill runs down my spine. I'm with you on taking out the mention of the kid as a brat and dropping her off at the woman's mom, but otherwise its an awesome song and it epitomizes New Jersey.

Marianita
05-03-2006, 05:35 PM
Hi Jersey Warren, I too feel the lyrics about leaving the brat could have been omitted but otherwise the song is great. Marianita:)

Jersey Warren
05-08-2006, 11:15 AM
... every time I hear that song and hear the crowd cheer at the mentions of the Jersey Side a chill runs down my spine. .

Exactly! Isn't that a great feeling! Doesn't it make you fell that there are least a few thousand other people who have as much pride in your native state as you do?

Marianita
05-08-2006, 07:46 PM
I do indeed feel a sense of pride in my state. I mean New Jersey ofcourse. I think I can safely say it is my state too. A sense of pride is important just as I feel it the minute my feet are on Nj soil. Marianita:)

markiac
05-15-2006, 01:28 PM
The 3rd song nominated by the NJ State Council on the Arts as "State Song of New Jersey" is "Be Proud To Be In New Jersey." You can find out more information and hear it at www.statesongofnewjersey.com

I think this one is the best!

JerseyDevil
05-15-2006, 03:08 PM
I didn't actually like this song. I had heard it before. I'm sorry, but to me it sounds too much like a song from Sesame Street. Also, I never understood how "New Jersey is proud of me". I like it to a point, but I still like "In New Jersey" a lot better.

markiac
05-15-2006, 03:25 PM
Well, whether you like it or not, the New Jersey State Council on the Arts, which is made up of musicians, composers, conducters and the top music professionals in the State of NJ chose Be Proud To Be In New Jersey over almost 300 choices to be in the Top 3 nominated songs.

By the way, it could do a lot worse than sounding like Sesame Street, a television show that has won 97 Emmy Awards, more than any other show in history!

JerseyDevil
05-15-2006, 03:38 PM
Well, whether you like it or not, the New Jersey State Council on the Arts, which is made up of musicians, composers, conducters and the top music professionals in the State of NJ chose Be Proud To Be In New Jersey over almost 300 choices to be in the Top 3 nominated songs.

By the way, it could do a lot worse than sounding like Sesame Street, a television show that has won 97 Emmy Awards, more than any other show in history!
I'm sorry -I don't like the song. Everyone has their own tastes and it doesn't really matter to me whether the council was made up of the Vienna Boys Choir, it doesn't mean they picked a good song for our state. And actually - ti was one of three runner ups. It was not first, second or third. The legislature never got to making the final decision. Anyway, I think it should be up to the people of New Jersey, not a bunch of musicians - it's NOT their song.

As for Sesame Street having won multiple emmy awards, that again has nothing to do with whether a song is a good song to represent the state. Yeah, if I wish to have a children's song, I would choose this one. Having a state song is about having a song that makes people feel proud of the state and properly represents the state. I don't think this one matches up to the quality of "In New Jersey", You have a difference of opinion and that's fine.

DebbieSans
05-24-2006, 04:33 PM
On another musical note, I haven't seen it, but someone told me that NJ tourism is using the new Bon Jovi song "Who Says You Can't Go Home" in its ads. Has anyone seen that yet?

JerseyDevil
05-24-2006, 04:38 PM
On another musical note, I haven't seen it, but someone told me that NJ tourism is using the new Bon Jovi song "Who Says You Can't Go Home" in its ads. Has anyone seen that yet?

I have. It was unveiled at the governors conference and then I have seen it on tv. It's okay. I like the song, but the pace of the images doens't necessarily fit with the song. If they were going to use the Bon Jovi song, they should have made the images more exciting and "in your face". Sort of like the Willamsburg Virginia commercial. Now that tourism commercial is one of the best I have ever seen.

DebbieSans
05-28-2006, 09:56 AM
I finally saw the commercial yesterday, and I agree that it's lackluster. My cover band played the song at a recent party, and it really gets people pumped up especially if you give it a rousing "Jersey introduction". People love doing the "it's alright, it's alright, it's alright" part with the band. I think the commercial unfortunately doesn't capture the excitement of the music. Seems they missed the boat.

Debbie

JerseyDevil
05-28-2006, 11:39 AM
I finally saw the commercial yesterday, and I agree that it's lackluster. My cover band played the song at a recent party, and it really gets people pumped up especially if you give it a rousing "Jersey introduction". People love doing the "it's alright, it's alright, it's alright" part with the band. I think the commercial unfortunately doesn't capture the excitement of the music. Seems they missed the boat.

As New Jersey usually does. I have no idea who determines the final commercial. But in my opinion, they took shots that weere from previous commercials and just put in a the Bon Jovi music and said "okay - that's done. Next".

Marianita
06-23-2006, 09:07 PM
Thankyou markiac for the link to the New Jersey state song. I am checking it out in a few minutes. It is great that we now have a state song. Marianita:cool:

BlueIrishEyes
09-16-2006, 05:52 PM
I remember eons ago when I was in secondary school there was a song that we were told was the state song. It was adapted as part of the Tercenntenial celebration. The title was "My Garden State" It was very sing-songy and did not do Jersey justice.

Marianita
09-18-2006, 03:35 AM
Hi irishblueeyes, I too remember the state song,''Maryland My Maryland'' and felt the same way. It seems to me that the state song should be meaningful and the words carefully chosen. I suppose it is not easy selecting a Jersey song that everyone will like but ''My Garden State'' seems like a nice title. I have ordered some license plates which will read,''JRSY HRT.'' I wanted JRSY GRL but it was taken as were many others. lol. Anyway can you remember the words to that song you learned in school? It would be interesting to know. Take care. Marianita:)

BlueIrishEyes
09-18-2006, 08:24 AM
My Garden State
I love to sing sweet songs of thee
Lakes and mountains
Trees and fountains join in harmony
My Garden State
you stand for everything thats great
So with a song I'll praise thee
Dear old Jersey
My Garden State.

I think this is the chorus, but I don't remember any more of it. We sang it all the time that year, then it just faded away.

Marianita
09-19-2006, 12:08 AM
Hi irishblueeyes, Thankyou for the words to the Garden state song. The words are really nice. It is rather quaint but meaningful. By the way does New Jersey have a state song yet that you know of? I cannot tell you how much I miss New Jersey especially with a little grandson due in a day or so. He will be a real new Jersey person, not a wannabe like myself. lol. I sleep with the cell phone beside me and keep it with me every waking minute. Take care. Marianita:)

JerseyDevil
09-19-2006, 02:40 AM
Nope - we don't have a state song yet. It's not even being discussed by the state legislature right now. They're too busy taxing us to death and covering up their numerous scandals - not to mention collecting multiple pensions (at least those who hold 2 or 3 political postitions). Most New Jerseyans see no problem with the numerous new taxes on us, but they'd consider it a complete waste of time if the legislature actually discussed and spent their time trying to give us a state song.

BTW - Wikipedia of course erroneously lists the Red Mascara song as the New Jersey state song. I still fully support "In New Jersey" for the state song though (although I see some people don't agree with me. :p ).

New Jersey - the only state without a state song!

Marianita
09-19-2006, 05:42 AM
Hi Jersey Devil, It is hard to understand why New Jersey has no state song. I suppose you are right about the polititians as NJ has the highest taxes in the nation. I am sure it is not alright with the people who live there . They just want to live there so they put up with the high taxes. There has always been talk of lowering the taxes but it will not get done with people like Corzine in office. At any rate there have been many excellent suggestions for a state song and it is hard to believe there is none to date. There is too much else going to make rich politians richer. It is a well known fact and yet nothing is being done about it. But there really needs to be a state song. Marianita

BlueIrishEyes
09-19-2006, 08:12 AM
I did a search and found a copy of the sheet music to My Garden State--this is different from the one I remember but the music seems the same. The one we used was by Edna Mohr I think--at least I find a lot of references to a song by her at the time, but I am still looking for a copy.
The below is a link to the song.

http://www.flatrock.org.nz/topics/new_jersey/and_a_one_and_a_two_and_a.htm