PDA

View Full Version : New Jersey History

NJPRIDE
05-12-2007, 05:58 PM
The History channel is doing a 10 part series called "The States" and it is on tonight May 12 , and one of the featured states tonight is good old New Jersey. They will be discussing our states history, culture, etc.

JerseyDevil
05-13-2007, 09:31 PM
I was going to post about this. I saw it. I'm wondering what you thought of it. I think there was a bit more they could have said - of course. I hate that again in the beginning New Jersey was being defined by New York and Philadelphia - but they did show a lot of New Jersey that people didn't know about. They didn't really show the mountain region though or the pine barrens.

NJPRIDE
06-13-2007, 09:41 PM
I thought it was good and the n.y./ philly thing didn't bother me ( I knew this was about N.J. so I was able to ignore the n.y./ philly thing). Don't get me wrong I also hate, with a PASSION, having those two cities shoved down my throat all the time! Alot of the things mentioned I knew about or atleast had some knowledge of. The one problem I have with it is the only time it is repeated is early in the morning so I have not been able to see all of the episodes I missed. I may end up buying it on DVD but then I would wear the Jersey part out (If that's possible).

NJBarb
09-21-2007, 07:25 AM
Just spent a long weekend at the shore (Cape May) and always try to check in with the local papers, local radio shows & happenings etc - heard some talk about 2 celebrations for "Richard Somers Day" early in the month. Richard Somers was a war hero who fought the Berbers in the early 1800s - pretty dramatic character with lots of parallels to todays young soldiers - makes me think that we have some great NJ history if only they would devote some time to it in the schools. In some states the kids have one year of high school history devoted to their states history.

JerseyDevil
09-21-2007, 10:53 AM
Just spent a long weekend at the shore (Cape May) and always try to check in with the local papers, local radio shows & happenings etc - heard some talk about 2 celebrations for "Richard Somers Day" early in the month. Richard Somers was a war hero who fought the Berbers in the early 1800s - pretty dramatic character with lots of parallels to todays young soldiers - makes me think that we have some great NJ history if only they would devote some time to it in the schools. In some states the kids have one year of high school history devoted to their states history.
Yeah I know. Here we have to settle for 1 year in fourth grade. Anyone that remembers 4th grade would know that it's very superficial and doesn't go into any depth. Until recently however there was NO study of NJ history. I do think that NJ History and politics should be a required course in high school not relegated to the whitewash you get in 4th grade.