PDA

View Full Version : Should the Messageboad be Reorganized?

JerseyDevil
09-15-2005, 10:26 PM
I was wondering what people thought about the forums on the messageboard. Are there too many? should they be consolidated? Is it just right?

one thing I'm thinking of doing is making the top catgegory "IMPORTANT & General NJ Topics". I would move the "NJ General Discussion" up to this catgory, but I'm not sure if I want to do that either. Any thoughts on the subject?

MITHRANDIR
09-20-2005, 09:20 AM
I was wondering what people thought about the forums on the messageboard. Are there too many? should they be consolidated? Is it just right?

one thing I'm thinking of doing is making the top catgegory "IMPORTANT & General NJ Topics". I would move the "NJ General Discussion" up to this catgory, but I'm not sure if I want to do that either. Any thoughts on the subject?

I do not have a problem with the current structure of the site.

"IMPORTANT & General NJ Topics" would possibly benefit from having more people visit the spot at least initially.

Maybe you could look at the different areas and see what the traffic is currently and reorganize based on that basis.

Nurvingiel
11-02-2005, 07:11 PM
It's not hard to navigate the board (because of the headers like "Arts and Enterntainment" etc), but there are a lot of different forums.

I think the forum would benefit to getting each section down to about three or four forums. You could have a catch-all, general forum in sections like "General Interest" that would have the Transportation (minor activity) and Lodging (no activity) sections. Maybe they could be included as well in "New Jersey discussion".

That being said, I have posted at a message board with at least as many forums as this and it totally works. (But that board had about a thousand members.)

JerseyDevil
11-02-2005, 07:18 PM
I think the forum would benefit to getting each section down to about three or four forums. You could have a catch-all, general forum in sections like "General Interest" that would have the Transportation (minor activity) and Lodging (no activity) sections. Maybe they could be included as well in "New Jersey discussion".
Well I am planning on combining the "Outdoor Recreation" with "Activities". I see no real reason to have it split up that much anymore. I started out with more specific threads and then am working at combining them.

The Jersey Shore needs to be split up into the different regions. The shore covers 127 miles and I want to make sure that peoplecan more easily find the threads they are looking for.

It's easier to combine forums than seperate them. I'm also trying to look at the future when this is the Number 1 New Jersey messageboard. :cool:

JerseyDevil
11-05-2005, 09:08 PM
I'm thinking about combining Lodging and restaurants on the messageboard. Currently these are two different forums. Anyone have any ideas on this - whether it's a good idea or bad idea?

MITHRANDIR
11-06-2005, 02:56 PM
I'm thinking about combining Lodging and restaurants on the messageboard. Currently these are two different forums. Anyone have any ideas on this - whether it's a good idea or bad idea?

I think it can work well together. If you are traveling then food & lodgings are usually together. At worst, someone will need to look through food entries if they only want lodging and the reverse.

Nurvingiel
11-07-2005, 01:27 AM
Combining lodging and food sounds good to me. :)

JerseyDevil
11-07-2005, 05:11 PM
Well I combined "Lodging" and "Restaurants" into one forum and I also combined "Recreational Sports" & "(Outdoor) Activities" into one forum. It seemed to work properly. :)

BTW - I'm thinking about adding a "Shopping" thread, where people can discuss the best places to shop. We have great shopping in NJ, no sales tax on clothes or shoes and in teh Urban Enterprse Zones (UEZ) we have only 3% sales tax on everything else, compared to New Jersey's normal 6% and NY's 8.5%. So what do you think - would that be a good addition?

davegering
11-07-2005, 06:03 PM
I think its a good idea.

JerseyDevil
11-07-2005, 06:40 PM
I think its a good idea.
Well of course you would - you manage the Jersey Store at Newark Liberty International Airport. :D

MITHRANDIR
11-08-2005, 12:35 PM
BTW - I'm thinking about adding a "Shopping" thread, where people can discuss the best places to shop. We have great shopping in NJ, no sales tax on clothes or shoes and in teh Urban Enterprse Zones (UEZ) we have only 3% sales tax on everything else, compared to New Jersey's normal 6% and NY's 8.5%. So what do you think - would that be a good addition?

It is a good idea, but the information will need to be updated every now and then. (or perhaps have a disclaimer about the accuracy of the information.)

JerseyDevil
11-08-2005, 12:39 PM
It is a good idea, but the information will need to be updated every now and then. (or perhaps have a disclaimer about the accuracy of the information.)
Well not really - it's not to present informatin per se - it's a discussion forum. It's to discuss shopping and so forth in NJ. people have to look at time stamps on a messageboard to see whether something is stlil valid or not. The main AboutNewJersey.com (http://www.AboutNewJersey.com) is where things have to be more up to date and that will have a shopping guide.

SusieQ
11-13-2005, 09:06 AM
I think it's a good idea to combine some of the topics. I'd also like to suggest a forum for educational activities for parents and children.

JerseyDevil
11-13-2005, 12:40 PM
I think it's a good idea to combine some of the topics. I'd also like to suggest a forum for educational activities for parents and children.
Welcome SusieQ. I'd have to think about your suggestion, because the way I've tried to break down the site, except for the Jersey Shore area which is broken down by region, is to break it down by attraction types. Educational activities for parents and children can fall under any number of things, from museums to outdoors, to theater, etc, which each one has a forum already. Also, if I add that, the I then people would say "well what about a special section for seniors or singles".

Nurvingiel
01-08-2006, 03:43 AM
Maybe there can be a thread on that subject? You or JD could start it, and add links to the original post as they are suggested. :)

Welcome to the board SusieQ.

Marianita
02-11-2006, 02:41 PM
I have no problem with the way things are. A shopping thread would be nice. Everything Jersey covers a variety of topics. As for the forums, I think there could be more, not less. There are not too many at all. Marianita

JerseyDevil
02-11-2006, 02:58 PM
I have no problem with the way things are. A shopping thread would be nice. Everything Jersey covers a variety of topics. As for the forums, I think there could be more, not less. There are not too many at all. Marianita
There could be a shopping one. I did recreate the NJ Politics thread. I've considered consolidating the Jersey Shore section, but I think it's best to have it broken out so people who are looking for a particular area of the Jersey will find it a bit easier. Anything that is general to the Jersey Shore just goes into the "General" forum.

I have a friend who said that the forum is too big and takes to long to look through, but I think once a person is used to it, it's pretty well organized. The most important thing is to attract more members who will contribute to the site. A messageboard is only as good as the number of active members.

NJPRIDE
02-11-2006, 06:42 PM
I think the messageboards are fine .Plenty of topics .I dont know if you have one on our great history , but you should . It could help create more state pride and get the truth out about our GREAT history ! Remember NEW JERSEY HISTORY , SECOND TO NONE !

JerseyDevil
02-11-2006, 07:40 PM
I think the messageboards are fine .Plenty of topics .I dont know if you have one on our great history , but you should . It could help create more state pride and get the truth out about our GREAT history ! Remember NEW JERSEY HISTORY , SECOND TO NONE !
NJPRide - I agree with you. There is truly no other state that comes close to the diverse history New Jersey has, from colonial, to revolutionary to Thomas Edison and Eistein, the USS New Jersey, and so much more. I realy wish that New Jersey promoted it's history much better (or even just more than the zero amount they do now)

I'm on the board of the Princeton Battlefield Society (http://www.SavePrincetonBattlefield.org), so of course we have a History forum. :) You can find it under Arts & Entertainment - Historic Sites & Reenactments.

Marianita
02-11-2006, 09:40 PM
Well, Jersey Devil, the boards are fine but I feel that more is better. That way people can go through and reply to whatever they find interesting. The idea of New Jersey pictures is a wonderful idea as people like myself who are 3000 miles away can order online. I always fly to NJ and cannot bring back large pictures. Infact I always have too much luggage as it is. lol. There are no direct flights into Philly so it makes it hard to carry much. Last trip my luggage somehow stayed in Los Angeles and they had to deliver it to my home after getting it to Bakersfield. Anyway my suggestion is that if the message boards become too full you can go back and delete some of the older stuff. You are doing a great job. Marianita

JerseyDevil
02-20-2007, 05:25 PM
For those who may be wondering - I did a bit of reorganizing today. I moved the "Legends/Stories/Movies (http://forum.aboutnewjersey.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)" forum to the "Arts & Entertainment" forum. Arts & Entertainment was therefore renamed - "Arts, Entertainment & Cultural (http://forum.aboutnewjersey.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)". In addition - I added a new forum called "New Jersey Business & Enterprise (http://forum.aboutnewjersey.com/forumdisplay.php?f=52)" which is located in the "General Interest (http://forum.aboutnewjersey.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)" section.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

131 Dukes St.
06-28-2007, 09:56 AM
JD this site will always be a work in progress for you but as I can clearly see it is a labor of love for you .
P.S. You do a great job of also!

Marianita
06-28-2007, 01:38 PM
Hi Dukes, JD does indeed do a great job on the board. It has to be a huge job too. I had the pleasure of meeting JD in Newark with my son and daughter-in-law and grandchildren. He is ever so nice.I also met Dave Gering of the Jersey store.
This board has been a favorite of mine for a couple of years. I have really lost track of the time but I love it. It is a blast. There are alot of nice people here. :) Marianita

Jersey Warren
06-29-2007, 01:25 PM
Yes, JD has done a wonderful job. I have had had no problem with the organization of the board and I am sure that each improvement will only make it more fun to visit here!:wave:

Marianita
06-29-2007, 05:14 PM
Hi Jersey Warren, There is absolutely nothing more in the way of organization the board needs as it is excellent already. I agree with you that the board is fine just as is. JD has organization skills and you can tell alot of thought goes into any changes he does make. It cannot be easy. I could'nt do it. lol. :wave:
Marianita

JerseyDevil
06-30-2007, 01:56 AM
I wanted to thank everyone for their comments. To tell you the truth, it sometimes can get very difficult to find the motivation to work on the website, especially in the beginning when it was just starting out. It can sometimes be like working in a vacuum, because I never get to see my "customers". The only way I know what people think is when they post. If I owned a store, I would have day to day interaction with my customers. I would know what is working and what isn't a lot better. When I don't see people postings, I become afraid that people got bored and left.

The main AboutNewJersey.com (http://www.AboutNewJersey.com) site gets about 1,000 visitors per day, but unless someone e-mails me from there, they are just a number in the stats. I have no idea really what they thought of the site. Through the messageboard however, I can get to know you guys and have more connection. Let me tell you, it was VERY difficult when I was first starting out with the messageboard. I pretty much had to settle for just talking to myself. I had gotten some friends I made from another messageboard to come here and post, but none of them had even been to New Jersey! But hey, you have to do what you have to do when starting out! :)

I do wish the board had more active members, but it's quality - not quantity that matters. Other than the spambots I have had no need to really moderate the board. I haven't had to tell anyone - "NO personal attacks!".

As Marianita said, I met her and her family at Newark Liberty International Airport (they drove all the way up from Marlton to see Dave and I and go to the Jersey Store) and we got to have lunch with Dave and his wife. I enjoy meeting people from the board.

BTW - let me tell you - political season is GREAT for the board. Everyone seems to want to talk about politics. Initially I had it where politics were off limit, even New Jersey politics. I just wanted people to discuss the great vacation spots this state has to offer. But as I soon discovered, that was impossible to do. Politics is too central to New Jersey.

Marianita
06-30-2007, 02:35 AM
Hi JD, My goodness, there is a lot more to the job then I realized. I never thought of how difficult it must have been getting started. But you have a natural talent for these things.
I feel that at times when people post less it is not from boredom but because they get busy. There have been times that I have not even used the internet as I dealt with issues in my life. I like getting messages in my email that someone has replied to something I posted. It makes me feel a real part of the board.
The NJ baby you held for so long at the Newark airport is now 9 months old and he is big. He crawls around now and he is fast. lol. I miss my family and I miss New Jersey. It actually makes my heart ache wishing I were there. But I am delighted with my son's success and that he and my daughter-in-law have made such a nice life for themselves there.
As for the board all I can say is to keep up the great work. Marianita:)