PDA

View Full Version : Giants new Stadium

JerseyDevil
04-14-2005, 02:08 PM
Giants owners, state announce new stadium to be built in the Meadowlands

(04/14/05) EAST RUTHERFORD - The New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority and the Giants owners announced Thursday a new 80,000-seat stadium will be built in the Meadowlands.

The new $750 million stadium will be built next to the old one. Acting Governor Dick Codey (D-NJ) says the privately financed stadium will be part of the Xanadu entertainment complex at the Meadowlands. Codey emphasized the stadium will be paid for by the NFL team and not by New Jersey taxpayers.

The new open-air stadium will include practice and training facilities for the team, retail shops, restaurants and a Giants Hall of Fame for fans. Giants owners hope construction will be completed by 2008.

So - we've given the okay for the Giants to build a new stadium IN New JERSEY. Hmm - funny - their helmets, uniforms and logo say NY on them. I wonder - shouldn't they be called the New JERSEY Giants. What team in NY calls themselves NJ? Why should OUR teams play with someone elses initials on their uniforms.

As for that so called free tax dollars - the state is going to spend $30 million in improved infastructure to support the stadium - while only making $5 million a year in lease payments. That means that it will take about 6 years to pay for the infastructure improvements. By that time I'm sure they'll kick NJ where it hurts and run back to NY while our dumb politicians sit and let them walk all over us.

They should either be called the New Jersey Giants or they should go back across the River and play in Yankee Stadium again. One of the key reasons for having sports teams is for the media attention and advertising purposes. By the Giants having NY - New York gets all the publicity and continues to be able to make snide remarks while they come to OUR stadiums to watch OUR teams. :mad:

MITHRANDIR
04-17-2005, 07:47 AM
JD,

You are correct that the Giants (and any team playing in NJ) should be refered to as the NJ Giants.

I also think that all sports teams should build their own stadiums with no public money.

Could it be possible that Acting governor Cody has an interest to work for The New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority after his time as Governor? :rolleyes:

As an aside, I heard that the new stadium will not be able to accommodate FIFA soccer events or other large field events since the stadium is being built primarily for football.

JerseyDevil
04-17-2005, 08:32 AM
That's ridiculous - we need a stadium that handles multiple events. I have written him a letter concerning my feelings which I am mailing out tomorrow -

Acting Governor Dick Codey
PO Box 001
Trenton NJ 08625

Dear Acting Governor Codey,

I see the deal with the Giants went through today. I suppose I should say New YORK Giants, since that’s what they have on their uniforms. Knowing how our politicians rollover to NY, I’m sure that they will continue to have NY on their uniforms.

It’s no wonder we don’t’ get any respect, since we don’t show any respect for ourselves. I would have rather have seen the Giants and Jets both move out of the state than have to hear the snide comments coming out of NY. Oh they’ll continue to ridicule us, Clinton will say again, when she is corrected about where the Giants and Jets play, that she has always thought of New Jersey as part of NY. I will continue to have to pull out a map to show people that the Giants and Jets play in New Jersey, not NY. I will have to even go so far to actually educate people that – no, New Jersey is NOT part of NY, but actually a different state. People seem to be confused with the status of New Jersey when there are TWO NJ teams which carry the NY logo and New Jersey does nothing about it. The Nets are moving to NY, do you think they’ll keep NJ in their logo and still be considered a New JERSEY team? That’s a rhetorical question of course.

One of the main reasons for a state or city to host professional sports is for the prestige and for the advertising it generates every time the team is announced and especially when they win. So if the Giants go to the Super Bowl, which they have done more than three times since they’ve been in New Jersey, who will get the prestige and acknowledgement? New York of course, because that is what is on their uniforms, that is whose team everyone thinks the Giants are.

It’s either funny, or it’s very sad, little Anaheim stood up to the Anaheim Angels last year when that team wanted to change their name back to the Los Angeles Angels. Anaheim told them “no, you play here, this is what you will be called, or else you can go back and play in Los Angeles.” I suppose the problem is that NJ has had the “Kick Me” sign on it’s back for so long that it’s a little bit difficult for New Jersey to stick up for itself.

I wonder, will the Giants, I mean – New York Giants, be making their stadium announcements in New York, like they did with the Super Bowl announcements? Or will they be making them in the home state they seem to be too ashamed of publicly acknowledging, but have no problem playing in?

I must say, the irony of the announcement with New JERSEY was not lost since the banners in the background were all saying in LARGE letters – NY. Proud indeed of NJ. It would have been a very nice gesture of how much the Giants actually enjoy playing here if they had unveiled a new Logo that says NJ Giants. But I guess just like having NJ politicians who fight for New Jersey, that’s a pipe dream.

Sincerely –

Robert Rosetta, President
AboutNewJersey.com

I also intend to send a similar letter or the same one to the Giants and to the various newspapers.

JerseyDevil
08-11-2005, 07:39 PM
I see someone chose NY as the name - but obviously were too chicken to openly announce it. :p

JerseyDevil
10-25-2005, 11:15 PM
Well the November issue of New Jersey Monthly has an interesting article concerning the Giants Stadium deal. After reading the article I feel even more that NJ got screwed and the Giants should have been sent packing. They are arrogant and care nothing about being in NJ at all. They do not consider themselves a NJ team - they consider themselves a New York team who happens to play in NJ. As the last part of the article quotes th Giants as saying... "We're the New York Giants Franchise. That's our name, and it has been for a long time." Well sorry - it doesn't matter. There have been MANY teams who have been called one thing and then moved and got a new name.

Another thing I found interesting is that when the Giants first moved to NJ - the networks WERE listing the Giants as the New JERSEY Giants - but the Giants "prodded the NFL to make the networks use NY"

The article says that NJ gave up $20 million dollars a year in concessions for this wonderful deal - all because our ACTING governor is a sports fan and wanted to keep the Giants in the state at all costs. There is even a ridiculous quote in the article stating that the lease payments will make up for the $124 million in debt relief on the prior stadium. Let's see $124 million divided by 6 million a year in lease payments equals - 21 years to pay it off. Thank you Codey for a complete give away to the Giants and Jets while they continue to even prance around in OUR state wearing their NY UNIFORMS!

Seems as if George Zoffinger was the only one with the guts to stand up and bring reason - but because of this - he was shut out of the negotiations. :rolleyes: Backroom deals again and NJ pays the price. :mad: I hope the Giants never win a Super Bowl again as long as they are wearing NY on their uniforms - that goes for the Jets too. Everyone can call this the JerseyDevil Curse!

JerseyDevil
10-26-2005, 11:03 PM
Side post - but I felt it sort of fit.

Anyway - I like this person... :)

The Final Four is in New Jersey, not New York! (http://www.kernel.uky.edu/1996/spring/hoopla/pg8.html)
New Jersey native finds the widespread snub of his wonderful home state very offensive

By Robert Duffy
Arts Editor

So, you're going to the Final Four in your never-ending self-imposed slavery to the institution of college basketball.

Before you go, it's best for you to do your homework on the state, city and area that you are about to make your temporary sporting home.

I know you're thinking, "Hey, the Meadowlands is fifteen minutes from New York City, let's spend our free time there."

Well, that may be your fatal mistake.

Sure, New York is one of the greatest cities in the world, but the Meadowlands Arena (newly renamed to the Continental Airlines Arena) is in New Jersey, not New York.

Why not show support for the state that has brought such greats as Thomas Edison, Albert Einstein, Jon Bon Jovi and The Toxic Avenger?

The Garden State always seems to get the shaft when big things happen there.

Let's take, for example, some of the World Cup games in 1994 were also held at the Meadowlands, yet whenever it was mentioned on television it was called the "New York/New Jersey" World Cup. New York had nothing to do with it!

And while I'm on the subject of New Jersey shafting, let's talk a little about the New York Giants and the New York Jets.

Ask me where Giants Stadium is. Go on, ask me.

New Jersey, that's where Giants Stadium is. The Nets and the Devils don't have any problem with this.

My point is this: don't be a part of this underground anti-New Jersey movement that is going on in the world. When you go to cheer on your favorite hoops team, support the state that you're in. It'll make you feel that much better.

When engaging conversation with the locals, you might want to have some Jersey facts and trivia stored in your mind so that you can have some great, intellectual conversations.

For example, you'll razzle and dazzle the natives when you casually let them know you know that the Meadowlands area was created over 17,000 years ago through the natural process of volcanic and glacial activity.

And then when you go one step further to tell them that following the retreat of the last glacier of the Wisconsin Age, the sea level rose, flooding the Meadowlands, and the Atlantic white cedar became the prevailing habitat.

If they're still not impressed, casually say, "Hey pal, I heard that the Hackensack Meadowlands District is now home to more than 265 different species of birds and that Shellfish and Finfish have returned in abundance."

After that, it'll be like feeding candy to a baby.

Oh, and one other tip -- people from New Jersey don't laugh when people come up and say to them, "Oh, you're from Jersey? What exit? Ha ha ha!"

But I digress.

The Final Four has been dubbed by many as the sports event to end all sports events.

It has more energy and action than any silly Super Bowl or long-winded World Series has to offer.

East Rutherford (the home of the Continental Airlines Arena and the Meadowlands) Mayor James L. Cassella recently said that the hype for the Final Four has already begun.

Scalpers are out selling tickets for the games past the $2000 mark, billboards are plastered over the highway and the NCAA is on the lookout for people violating the "Final Four" copyright.

Cassella had the opportunity to see a Final Four in 1981 when Indiana won it all. He said it was something definitely worth going to.

"If anybody has an opportunity to go, they should," Cassella said. "It's the most exciting athletic event you can possibly be in ... Especially that this is a big part of Kentucky's life. It;'s big and exciting and I love it."

So forget your grades, your future in the university, your life -- when it comes to basketball, I think the choice of whether or not you should be heading to New Jersey has already been made for you.

Arts Editor Robert Duffy is a journalism freshman -- and a New Jersey native.

Nurvingiel
11-02-2005, 07:03 PM
If I was the one who voted for NY, I would say so just to twit you. But I didn't, because that's just dumb.
I see a couple typos in your letter, but you already sent it so meh. :)

That article you posted is funny. :D

edited for typo. to not too!

JerseyDevil
11-02-2005, 07:05 PM
If I was the one who voted for NY, I would say so too just to twit you. But I didn't, because that's just dumb.
I see a couple typos in your letter, but you already sent it so meh. :)

That article you posted is funny. :D
It sure did take you a long time to post this. I thought you were writing a book. :p I noticed the mistypes, but I seem to always notice them after I send the letter.

Nurvingiel
11-20-2005, 05:12 PM
Lol! :D Well, I sort of am writing a book, actually.

It is really hard to edit your own stuff. Next time I'll proofread it for you. Maybe if I ever write a letter to the editor or something you can proofread mine. (I almost did, but I didn't know enough about the complex topic in question, the BC Mountain Pine Beetle epidemic, to do it justice).

At the games, show up with a sign that says "Go New Jersey Giants"!

Edit: The NFL team can afford to pay for a whole stadium? Wow.

JerseyDevil
01-07-2006, 11:55 PM
With any luck, the JerseyDevil curse will rear it's head against the Giants tomorrow and they will lose. :devil:

Nurvingiel
01-08-2006, 03:48 AM
You know, it's sad that the disloyal actions of the Giants' management has caused New Jerseyan fans to stop cheering for them.

I wonder what they imagined would happen? That New Yorkers would cheer for them? As if they don't know where the Giants really play. You're not fooling anyone Giants' management, fix yer name!

I would be pissed if the BC Lions started calling themselves the Alberta Lions. The very idea is ridiculous. I would definitely start cheering for the Saskatchewan Roughriders (and not just because their logo is a skull and crossbones :evil: ). (I wouldn't cheer for the Calgary Stampeders either because I would regard them as team stealers even though none of this would be their fault.)

I feel your pain JD, even though that has not happened to me (outside of my head).

JerseyDevil
01-08-2006, 07:21 PM
Well - the Jersey Devil curse has struck the Giants. :lmao: People told me there was no way the Giants were going to lose against the Panthers. Well the results are in...

Giants wiped out - 23 - 0 :excited:

Suggestion to the Giants: instead of paying lip service at how happy you are to call NJ home, why not actually show it by changing your name to the New JERSEY Giants.

Nurvingiel
01-12-2006, 12:49 AM
... and as a result, you won't stink like week-old football socks.

Hee. I love that your prediction came true. :D The Jersey Devil never fails!

JerseyDevil
04-02-2006, 12:14 PM
Get this little thng in the Star ledger - very interesting. :mad:

NFL teams and state agree on stadium
BY MATTHEW FUTTERMAN STAR-LEDGER STAFF

There will be a new football stadium in the Meadowlands after all.

Gov. Jon Corzine, the Jets and the Giants officially announced a deal yesterday to develop a $1 billion open-air stadium at the sports complex.

After negotiating the stadium project with five governors during the past six years, the teams expect to break ground next spring and to begin playing in the yet-tobe-named facility in 2010.

‘‘We are very excited the Jets and the Giants will have the opportunity to make history when this stadium opens as one of the premier facilities in the National Football League,’’ said Giants co-owner Steve Tisch.

Gary Rose, Corzine’s chief economic adviser, said he finalized a deal originally brokered by former Gov. Richard Codey during the past three weeks, but he could never get the teams to budge on Corzine’s wish to put a $200 million roof on the stadium.

‘‘It was clear that with the roof there was an incremental cost that was going to have to be picked up,’’ Rose said.

Under the deal, the teams will pay $5 million per year in rent and $1.3 million per year in taxes for 75 acres, where they will build a stadium, a Giants training complex and a commercial development with stores and restaurants. The tax payment will increase when the commercial portion of the development is actually built.

The state no longer has to contribute $30 million to move utility lines and roads, but it also will no longer get a share of the naming rights to the stadium.

Under the previous deal, the state would have received one third of any naming rights deal where the net proceeds were above $24 million. Also, the teams now have the rights to sell the naming rights to the entire sports complex, not just the stadium.

The deal came as relief to both Codey and the teams, who worried during the past month that Corzine might scuttle it.

‘‘It is time to put the shovels in the ground and make this project,’’ Codey said.

So I guess the Meadowlands Sports Complex is no longer going to exist. :mad: I am just fed up PERIOD with our politicians just selling out to these ungratefule NY wannabe teams. The money that we give them, the little in return. Wow - we don't have to pay the $30 million in infastructure improvemetns, but as you can see on the Jets thread - we're paying $20 million to buy them their practice facility. I must be living in the Twilight Zone here. Do we have ANY politicians who will stand up for NJ and our NAME?

A-Line
04-03-2006, 11:51 PM
I read a similar article in The Record on Saturday, April 1, and that exact same bit of information jumped out and caught my eye.

The Record article did say that the Meadowlands Racetrack and Continental Arena, if it remains open, would "likely" retain their current names. That doesn't exactly sound like something I would bank on!

So now it is possible for a company to purchase the naming rights to the Meadowlands Sports Complex and rename it something New York-related. That would not surprise me at all. I have not seen anything written anywhere that says that they could not do it!

In essence, they just sold the Meadowlands to New York!

OUR STATE REPRESENTATIVES ARE NOT LOOKING OUT FOR NEW JERSEYANS BEST INTERESTS -- particularly when it comes to making deals with any professional sports teams.

The only way Trenton is going to listen to the people is if we start making noise.

It is time to start a petition. New Jerseyans want the Meadowlands back!

JerseyDevil
04-04-2006, 12:07 AM
It is time to start a petition. New Jerseyans want the Meadowlands back!
Write up the petition. We can put it on PetitionOnline.com (http://www.PetitionOnline.com), but I am also developing my own petition application.

A-Line
04-04-2006, 12:55 AM
You are developing your own petition application? What does that mean?

I am not familiar with the process.

JerseyDevil
04-04-2006, 01:16 AM
You are developing your own petition application? What does that mean?

I am not familiar with the process.
Sorry, I'll explain better. I'm developing my own program which will allow people to sign an electronic petition online because there are serious shortcomings to PetitionOnline. The Princeton Battlefield Society was using that for our Princeton Battlefield petition, but now I am developing our own application to use so we have better control over it. PetitionOnline doesn't really include a nice way of just printing out the petition for instance.

This is off topic - but I coded the interactive items on the site, such as the e-cards application, the lodging and restaurant guide, the event guide, etc. I was a computer consultant in my previous life, before getting sucked into New Jersey tourism. :)

NJPRIDE
04-04-2006, 07:43 PM
I agree we must take back our state not only from n.y. teams but also from N.J. politicians who have NO N.J. pride and DO NOT represent us . I was on NJ.com and someone on that site said its time for a petition . I posted for him to come here . LETS GET IT ON !:mad:

JerseyDevil
04-04-2006, 07:54 PM
I agree we must take back our state not only from n.y. teams but also from N.J. politicians who have NO N.J. pride and DO NOT represent us . I was on NJ.com and someone on that site said its time for a petition . I posted for him to come here . LETS GET IT ON !:mad:
I agree 120% I hope that some others will come also. The Star Ledger and other papers don't even cover anything about all this really. I'l have an article, accept some letters, but then don't do any editorials or anything. I'm going to be gone to the Governor's Conference on Tourism from the 5th - 7th, but let's get something written up for a petition, at least key ideas, then we can put it together. I was going to suggest this, but I need some support too. we can do a website dedicated to this and "sell" merchandise. We would need some ideas for t-shirts though. I don't care about making money, but we can start off on CafePress or some other on-demand shop like that. They produce bumper stickers too. So what is everyone's thought on this? I can't devote a lot of time to this, I have so mcuh going on right now.

NJPRIDE
04-04-2006, 08:24 PM
I dont know what I can do , Im far from a computer wiz . But I can think about it at least and come up with some suggestions . We have to let them know in a petition we feel they are not representing our interests , they are NOT showing state pride , and if these team issues dont change they WILL lose our support and we will find someone to support who feels the way we do ! WE MUST BE CLEAR ABOUT THIS , ITS TIME THIS NONSENSE ENDS OR THESE SO CALLED REPRESENTATIVES WILL LOSE THEIR JOBS ! WE CAN NOT BE NICE ! I will try to come up with some more ideas .:mad:

JerseyDevil
04-04-2006, 08:29 PM
I dont know what I can do , Im far from a computer wiz . But I can think about it at least and come up with some suggestions .

Any suggestions would be great, if you know of anyone who can support our efforts, get people excited and all that.

We have to let them know in a petition we feel they are not representing our interests , they are NOT showing state pride , and if these team issues dont change they WILL lose our support and we will find someone to support who feels the way we do ! WE MUST BE CLEAR ABOUT THIS , ITS TIME THIS NONSENSE ENDS OR THESE SO CALLED REPRESENTATIVES WILL LOSE THEIR JOBS ! WE CAN NOT BE NICE !:mad:
The thing is we need to get New Jerseyans excited and motivated behind this. We have to get New Jerseyans to stop saying "well at least we have the teams." Can you imagine New Jersey showing some pride? I think the whole world would be turned upside down if people actually spoke out and stood behind this.

A-Line
04-05-2006, 12:15 AM
That was me that NJPRIDE came across in one of the NJ.com sports forums. I post there (under a different name) from time to time because I am a huge sports fan.

I wanted to find out what others thought about the potential name change to the Meadowlands Sports Complex, so I made a few posts on NJ.com's Devils, Nets, Giants, Jets, and MetroStars forums.

Sadly, there were very few replies to my posts. And, of those who did reply, there were even fewer people (aside from NJPRIDE) who seemed bothered by the Meadowlands name change or the fact that New Jersey is losing its professional sports teams.

I'm now thinking that maybe the diehard sports fans who post in those sports forums aren't the ones we should target, in trying to get New Jerseyans to support New Jersey-named sports teams. Most of those guys/girls are so wrapped up in worrying about their respective teams' seasons that they don't want to give much thought to team names and uniforms and such. Also, I think that it has been ingrained in their heads for so long -- probably since birth -- that rooting for New York and Philly teams is supposed to be the norm and that Jersey teams are not to be taken seriously. So they have trouble comprehending it when someone broaches the idea that New Jerseyans deserve to be proud of their sports teams and proud of where they come from.

Rather, we should just target the average New Jerseyan -- people who are going about their everyday lives. Or maybe people who are already exhibiting a little Jersey pride by attending town parades, county fairs, state parks, etc. ... I just read the post on this site about the upcoming 2006 SPIRIT of the JERSEYS State History Fair. Any chance that we can get something going at that event -- maybe just hand out some preliminary fliers or something?

Here are a few slogans I was kicking around:

1) "New Jerseyans for New Jersey Sports Teams"
2) "New Jerseyans for NJ Sports Team Names"
3) "Say No to New York Sports Teams in New Jersey"
4) "Just Say No to New York Sports Teams in New Jersey"
5) "Just Say No to NY Sports Teams in NJ"
6) "No More NY Sports Names in New Jersey"
7) "Drop the NY in Jersey Sports Teams"
8) "Take Back NJ, Drop the NY"
9) "Boycott New York Sports Teams in New Jersey"
10) "Support New Jersey Sports Teams: Drop the NY!"
11) "Support NJ Sports Teams: Drop the NY Names"

Maybe you all have other ideas?

NJPRIDE
04-05-2006, 07:42 PM
A-Line you have some good suggestions but # 8 looks good because it says TAKE BACK NEW JERSEY . I really dont have any computer skills but I want to help us get back our state from these spineless ,corrupt, no pride politicians , and these teams ! Ive never worked on getting a petition together so I would not know where to start . I do have friends that feel the same way we do . LETS GET IT ON AND TAKE BACK OUR STATE ! Its time that we stand up and make more people proud of good old N.J. !:D

JerseyDevil
04-05-2006, 08:39 PM
I like number 8 also. I think just having "Take Back New Jersey" sounds good. What about "Say Yes to NJ, drop the NY".

NJPride - tell your friends to join the messageboard and post their feelings here. We need to write up the petition. I assume we will be sending it to the legislature, Governor and NJSEA. We need to have it clearly state what we want and why having the "NY" in the team names adversely affects NJ's identity.

A-Line
04-06-2006, 12:09 AM
I like "Take Back New Jersey" and/or "Say Yes to NJ, Drop the NY" too. The simpler, the better.

I can try back at the NJ.com forums and suggest to all who are interested to logon to this messageboard. I know of a few other Devils forums I can try too. And I'll see if I can find any other Nets forums. I gotta believe that there are some Nets fans around who are bummed out that they might be losing their team to Brooklyn.

I've been pretty busy the last few days; that's why I haven't had a chance to post here earlier in the day/evening.

JerseyDevil
04-06-2006, 12:31 AM
I like "Take Back New Jersey" and/or "Say Yes to NJ, Drop the NY" too. The simpler, the better.

I can try back at the NJ.com forums and suggest to all who are interested to logon to this messageboard. I know of a few other Devils forums I can try too. And I'll see if I can find any other Nets forums. I gotta believe that there are some Nets fans around who are bummed out that they might be losing their team to Brooklyn.

That'll be cool. Then if they join, then we can hopefully get more people behind this, more than just discussing our outrage amongst ourselves, but then lso get some momentum behind the petition.

I've been pretty busy the last few days; that's why I haven't had a chance to post here earlier in the day/evening.
No problem. I'm at the Governors Conference on Tourism right now in AC, so I'm on Trump Plaza internet connection. I'm having a lot of problems with this net connnection, it keeps timing out. I was just coming on to see if there was any movement with ths thread or the metorstars thread and to check my mail. not sure if I'll be back on tomorrow. I was trying to keep a running diary of things while I'm here.. which you can see today's entry on the "200r Governor's Confernce" thread.

A-Line
04-06-2006, 12:39 AM
I'll check out your entry.

So far, I haven't had a chance to check out much of the other stuff on this site. (I've been so wrapped up in this NY/NJ thing.

Side note (maybe this comment belongs in another thread area): I'd like to learn how you post people's quotes in the little box and then post your own message directly underneath.

JerseyDevil
04-06-2006, 07:16 PM
I'll check out your entry.

So far, I haven't had a chance to check out much of the other stuff on this site. (I've been so wrapped up in this NY/NJ thing.

That's understandable. Generally messageboards have a single or a couple of threads that become really active, then once those slow down, then people look at other things. But I hope you'll contribute to the board in other areas also.

Side note (maybe this comment belongs in another thread area): I'd like to learn how you post people's quotes in the little box and then post your own message directly underneath.
If you want to quote something that someone said - the easiest thing to do is just click the "quote" botton on th post that you want to quote. It will open up the reply box and in it will be the post you wish to quote surrounded by [.quote] [/.quote] tags (minus the periods). You can delete parts of the message in the tags, so you can just quote what you will be replying to.

Also, if you are posting a newspaper article or an article you found online - you can also surround it by the quote marks. If you still have problems, let me know.

BTW - Johnathan Tisch (sp) gave the keynote speech at the governors conference tody. Right in the beginning of his speech he mentioned the Giants and how great it was that Corzine signed the deal for the new stadium. He's one of the owners. After that morning session time was over, I went up and him and told him how he mentioned the Giants. I went on and asked him if he was aware that many New Jerseyans were upset that they carry the NY name. He said the name isn't changing. I went on and he said that it didn't matter - they are never changing the name. He said that the Giants are not ashamded of being in NJ. I would like to know why they won't take NY. I would be happy if they dropped NY from the name and just went back to the Giants, but having NY is a slap in the face for NJ and I don' care what he says.

After this, we ended up being in the elevator together, after we got out he did ask me about the website. I didn't tell him I don't promote the Giants or Jets on here because they refuse to acknowledge themselves as NJ teams, except for the times when the New Jersey tax payers hand them a check. I'm sure if he checks it out, he'll see this messageboard and he'll see other things. This board gets a lot of activity, with people reading it. The website gets a lot of activity period.

I was also surprised at how mny people in the NJ tourism industry don't see NJ teams having NY in their logo or nam as being an image problem for NJ. It's the same thing - they're answer is - "well we get the money". When I did mention that we spend OUR money on them and NY gives them nothing - several people responded thatI had a point. I think to make a case for this, we have to stress the NJ tax dollars going to support a multi-million dollar sports team and NY doesn't support them at all, but yet gets all the recognition.

Let's face it, NY has our politicians licking their feet. Also, someone mentioned to me today that the northeastern part of the state looks at themselves as being more NY than NJ. I'm really quite fed up with these NJ sports teams carrying NY on their uniforms and our politicians just handing the state over to them.

Sister Golden Hair
04-06-2006, 07:29 PM
Side note (maybe this comment belongs in another thread area): I'd like to learn how you post people's quotes in the little box and then post your own message directly underneath.Just hit the little button on the bottom right of the person's post that you wish to quote that says "quote". Delete out the text you don't wish to discuss. The quote tags are automatically there, and just type your message after the quote tag at the end. Or you can just copy the other person's text and paste it in the reply box and type in the quote tags. At the beginning of the post use [] with the word quote inside of them, and at the end of the text use [] with /quote inside them. If you push the quote button though, the tags are already there.:)

JerseyDevil
04-06-2006, 07:51 PM
I see about time you did some work. :p J/k No comment on the turncoat NJ sports teams though?

BTW everyone - NJGiants.com, NJJets.com and NJRedBulls.com are all taken. I'm trying to think of other domain names that might be available.

A-Line
04-06-2006, 11:13 PM
BTW - Johnathan Tisch (sp) gave the keynote speech at the governors conference today. Right in the beginning of his speech he mentioned the Giants and how great it was that Corzine signed the deal for the new stadium. He's one of the owners. After that morning session time was over, I went up to him and told him how he mentioned the Giants. I went on and asked him if he was aware that many New Jerseyans were upset that they carry the NY name. He said the name isn't changing. I went on and he said that it didn't matter - they are never changing the name. He said that the Giants are not ashamded of being in NJ. I would like to know why they won't take NY. I would be happy if they dropped NY from the name and just went back to the Giants, but having NY is a slap in the face for NJ and I don' care what he says. After this, we ended up being in the elevator together, after we got out he did ask me about the website. I didn't tell him I don't promote the Giants or Jets on here because they refuse to acknowledge themselves as NJ teams, except for the times when the New Jersey tax payers hand them a check. I'm sure if he checks it out, he'll see this messageboard and he'll see other things.

That's great that you actually had the opportunity to have that conversation with Mr. Tisch. I'm not surprised at his response. That has been the Giants position for quite a while now. Yet I have been under the impression that the organization did toy with the idea of a name change at one time. But after they made the firm decision to stick with the New York name, they didn't have to add insult to injury by reverting back to the old "ny" helmet logo -- especially after they had already been playing in New Jersey for something like 24 years!

If anything positive came out of your brief conversation with Mr. Tisch, at least he is now aware that there are still some hurt feelings over the Giants not properly acknolwedging the state in which they play.

Hopefully the Giants brass keeps getting reminded of that.

JerseyDevil
04-09-2006, 07:12 PM
NJPride - thanks for the NJ plug. I was going through the webstats and it had the link to the thread you posted in on NJ.com. I guess NJ.com closes threads that are a certain age. I don't see the purpose of that - but it's their board. I just wish I could have posted to the last responder who made the statement that having NY in the name was great for the sport because it got all these international players interested in coming over. The thing is - they're only coming over because of the name.They're NOT playing in NY - they're not playing for a New York team. Basically it boils down to marketing. If New Jersey properly marketed itself, then they wouldn't need the NY name on the uniforms for people to know about New Jersey.

That's great that you actually had the opportunity to have that conversation with Mr. Tisch. I'm not surprised at his response. That has been the Giants position for quite a while now. Yet I have been under the impression that the organization did toy with the idea of a name change at one time. But after they made the firm decision to stick with the New York name, they didn't have to add insult to injury by reverting back to the old "ny" helmet logo -- especially after they had already been playing in New Jersey for something like 24 years!

What is also very disturbing is the "friendly betting" that goes on with US Congressmen and state politicians when the teams are in the Super Bowl. NJ was shut out of the "friendly betting" and which is a form of marketing for the state. The opposing team's state representatives made bets with NY, and when the NJ politicians complained that they were NJ teams, they basically said tough luck.

If anything positive came out of your brief conversation with Mr. Tisch, at least he is now aware that there are still some hurt feelings over the Giants not properly acknolwedging the state in which they play.

He's aware of it, he just doesn't care. You know the sad thing is - he was a former New Jerseyan. He's families busines, Loews Hotels got it's start IN New Jersey. He went over how proud he was and all that. I jsut guess he wasn't proud enough of NJ to have the Giants take it's name. But then again - I was very disturbed by even fellow tourist advocates who just don't see a problem with it at all. They wonder why so many people don't know the real NJ - and this is a prime reasons. We let others define us. The Giants and Jets and now the turncoat Red Bulls, define us to the world as being part of NY.

A-Line
04-10-2006, 11:35 PM
I was also surprised at how mny people in the NJ tourism industry don't see NJ teams having NY in their logo or nam as being an image problem for NJ. It's the same thing - they're answer is - "well we get the money". When I did mention that we spend OUR money on them and NY gives them nothing - several people responded thatI had a point. I think to make a case for this, we have to stress the NJ tax dollars going to support a multi-million dollar sports team and NY doesn't support them at all, but yet gets all the recognition. ... Also, someone mentioned to me today that the northeastern part of the state looks at themselves as being more NY than NJ. I'm really quite fed up with these NJ sports teams carrying NY on their uniforms and our politicians just handing the state over to them.

I was very disturbed by even fellow tourist advocates who just don't see a problem with it at all. They wonder why so many people don't know the real NJ - and this is a prime reasons. We let others define us. The Giants and Jets and now the turncoat Red Bulls, define us to the world as being part of NY.

I am with you. How can those people in the NJ tourism industry not understand the problem?

I don't get it at all.

I know that this whole issue -- in the eyes of our state reps and, I suppose, our tourist advocates -- boils down to money. But there is other money out there that could be made, and that money is being lost.

Doesn't having New York-named teams playing in New Jersey have a negative effect on the New Jersey-named teams?

I think having NY teams in New Jersey dilutes the potential popularity of NJ teams.

And one would think that we would ALL want NJ teams to be popular. Or, at least, our state reps should want that. And tourist advocates too.

NJ teams are traveling the country, spreading the state name. That's gotta somehow help New Jersey financially, I would imagine. But not if we're diluting their effectiveness.

JerseyDevil
05-03-2006, 02:17 PM
So - now that the deal is done, Corzine has regrets. :roll:

Corzine airs discontent on Meadowlands deal
BY JEFF WHELAN STAR-LEDGER STAFF

Less than five weeks after he announced an agreement to build a new $1 billion open-air stadium for the Jets and Giants at the Meadowlands, Gov. Jon Corzine said yesterday he is unhappy with the deal.

‘‘I wanted a roof on that stadium, and I wanted the owners to pay for it,’’ Corzine said yesterday. ‘‘We could have had Super Bowls and national political conventions, (NCAA) Final Fours, technology expositions, car shows. It seems to me that we have lost an opportunity.’’

Corzine made his remarks in response to a question at the annual meeting of the Associated Press Managing Editors Association and suggested his administration did the best it could to improve a deal brokered largely by former Gov. Richard Codey.

‘‘You’re dealt a hand. We improved the transaction, and I think it is important that we kept both teams here. I think financially it will work out for the state reasonably well,’’ he said.

Corzine’s remarks angered Codey (D-Essex), who is state Senate president. Codey said he would have liked a roof, too, but the teams would only go along with that if it was paid for with public funds, a deal breaker for him.

‘‘Now is no time to debate history. It’s time to move forward and build the stadium,’’ Codey said. ‘‘As far as how good a deal it is for the taxpayers, it was the best deal for the taxpayers in NFL history. That’s all I need to say.’’

Corzine needs Codey’s support to move his budget and other aspects of his agenda through the state Legislature. Corzine administration officials had previously pointed to the Giants stadium deal as evidence that they were working cooperatively with Codey.

Joseph Marbach, chairman of the political science department at Seton Hall University, said the remark was a reflection of Corzine’s ‘‘political naiveté’’ because it would serve only to unnecessarily annoy Codey on an issue that’s been settled.

‘‘It’s a case of the governor being brutally honest when it may have been more politically astute to bite one’s tongue,’’ Marbach said. ‘‘I don’t see what the governor gains from it. It’s water under the bridge.’’

Corzine also said municipal leaders in East Rutherford have been ‘‘legitimately frustrated that their interests haven’t always been preserved’’ in negotiations. He said he has ‘‘every intention’’ of working with them to make sure their tax interests are ‘‘appropriately dealt with’’ as the deal is executed.

Corzine, Codey and team owners announced the deal in late March. The teams expect to break ground next spring and to begin playing in the yet-to-be-named facility in 2010.

This is also just more evidence that Codey wanted the Giants and Jets here at any cost. Who cares that they don't have NJ on their uniforms, not to mention still being allowed to have NY on their uniforms. We don't have politicians who work for us, we have politicians who work for their own enjoyment. What it boils down to is that Codey wanted easy access to the games - and therefore wanted the teams in NJ. :mad:

BTW - I don't see why he cares too much about the none football events that woudl take place at the stadium - Codey gave all that money away to the Giants in the deal. Any ticket sales from events that take place in the stadium, whether it's a bruce Springsteen Concert or the World Championship Soccer game, the Giants get - at least according the the deal before the Jets came back into the picture. :mad:

MABL
05-09-2006, 11:34 AM
I voted NY Giants. I'm a Jersey guy. But this is about money and marketing. I can't fault them for this. New York is the greatest city in the world. I'm sure we all can agree about that. Associating NY with a franchise is a gold mine.

As long as Jersey benefits from this deal and we the taxpayers don't get screwed, then I don't see the problem. We as a state should do lots of business from the games and all the fans moving in and out of Jersey from NY. Plus we can use the place for other non-football events.

JerseyDevil
05-09-2006, 11:39 AM
I voted NY Giants. I'm a Jersey guy. But this is about money and marketing. I can't fault them for this. New York is the greatest city in the world. I'm sure we all can agree about that. Associating NY with a franchise is a gold mine.

As long as Jersey benefits from this deal and we the taxpayers don't get screwed, then I don't see the problem. We as a state should do lots of business from the games and all the fans moving in and out of Jersey from NY. Plus we can use the place for other non-football events.
The citizens of this state are gettign screwed. Do you go around calling yoruself trump because it's better to market yourself? They are NJ teams who would rather be in NY. The same peopel who support the Giants and Jets now, would support them if they had NJ on their uniform. For 30 years they went WITHOUT NY - so tell me, how many new fans did they pick up becuase they put on that ridiculous NY back on?

Wonderful Corzein even just gave away the entire naming rights to the Giants. The Meadowlands will no longer be the "The Meadowlands". I wonder - maybe NY can buy it out, then even more people will just think New Jersey is part of NY.

I root against the Giants and the Jets both. When they play in the super bowl, NJ gets NO advertising from it - NY does. One of the main reasons for having a sports team is for the noteriety. Believe me, with all the tax breaks and give aways this state does for the teams, NJ does NOT get that much.

MABL
05-09-2006, 11:45 AM
The citizens of this state are gettign screwed. Do you go around calling yoruself trump because it's better to market yourself? They are NJ teams who would rather be in NY. The same peopel who support the Giants and Jets now, would support them if they had NJ on their uniform. For 30 years they went WITHOUT NY - so tell me, how many new fans did they pick up becuase they put on that ridiculous NY back on?

I root against the Giants and the Jets both. When they play in the super bowl, NJ gets NO advertising from it - NY does. One of the main reasons for having a sports team is for the noteriety. Believe me, with all the tax breaks and give aways this state does for the teams, NJ does NOT get that much.

I don't think the lack of NY on the uniform deterred fans either way. Nobody cares about NY or NJ on the uniform, I agree. Although we'll never see them put NJ on the uniforms.

But I think it's also about merchandising. I think something that says NY on it will sell a lot, as well as all over the world.

As for Jersey not getting much adverstising, I agree. But whenever a game is played at Giants Stadium, it's in East Rutherford, New Jersey. NFL fans all around the world know this. It's not much, but something.

JerseyDevil
05-09-2006, 11:55 AM
I don't think the lack of NY on the uniform deterred fans either way. Nobody cares about NY or NJ on the uniform, I agree. Although we'll never see them put NJ on the uniforms.

But I think it's also about merchandising. I think something that says NY on it will sell a lot, as well as all over the world.

I have news for you. I really don't care how much the greedy sports teams get by putting NY on their uniforms. We don't get anything from them, yet we just purchased the Jets land so they can build a practice facility. They state just gave up millions and millions of dollars in ticket sales to the Giants. The sold out Bruce Springstee concerts, Ringling Brothers and Barnum and Bailey Circus tickets,etc that we used to get money from - GONE! All now going to go to the wonderful ungrateful "NY" Giants because Codey is a sports fan and wanted to keep the teams in the state at all cost. If NJ put it's foot down and told them they had to use NJ - where do you think they would go? Do you honestly think that they would go back to Yankee and Shea Stadium where they came from? NY already rejected the stadium deal. They had nowhere to go. NJ got screwed and continues to get screwed with these wannabe NY teams.

As for Jersey not getting much adverstising, I agree. But whenever a game is played at Giants Stadium, it's in East Rutherford, New Jersey. NFL fans all around the world know this. It's not much, but something.
They do? Actually that is not true. I have traveled all over the country and everyone always thinks that the Giants and Jets play in NY - NOT East Rutherford NJ. They are amazed when I explain to them that they don't. Many people also have told me that thought that NJ is PART OF NY.

BTW - NJ is losing it's identity to NY and OUR politicians, the people who are SUPPOSED to be representing New JERSEY, are letting it happen. :mad:

MABL
05-09-2006, 12:00 PM
I have news for you. I really don't care how much the greedy sports teams get by putting NY on their uniforms. We don't get anything from them, yet we just purchased the Jets land so they can build a practice facility. They state just gave up millions and millions of dollars in ticket sales to the Giants. The sold out Bruce Springstee concerts, Ringling Brothers and Barnum and Bailey Circus tickets,etc that we used to get money from - GONE! All now going to go to the wonderful ungrateful "NY" Giants because Codey is a sports fan and wanted to keep the teams in the state at all cost. If NJ put it's foot down and told them they had to use NJ - where do you think they would go? Do you honestly think that they would go back to Yankee and Shea Stadium where they came from? NY already rejected the stadium deal. They had nowhere to go. NJ got screwed and continues to get screwed with these wannabe NY teams.

Holy crap. Then I guess the fault lies with Codey for getting us all hosed on that deal. That's unbelievable. So the Giants/Jets are now sole owners of the stadium ? Do we get anything for them being here ? I can see where you're coming from now.

They do? Actually that is not true. I have traveled all over the country and everyone always thinks that the Giants and Jets play in NY - NOT East Rutherford NJ. They are amazed when I explain to them that they don't. Many people also have told me that thought that NJ is PART OF NY.

LOL That's unbelievable. Part of NY ? I guess I overestimated the common NFL fan. Actually, I shouldn't be surprised. LOL

JerseyDevil
05-09-2006, 12:29 PM
Holy crap. Then I guess the fault lies with Codey for getting us all hosed on that deal. That's unbelievable. So the Giants/Jets are now sole owners of the stadium ? Do we get anything for them being here ? I can see where you're coming from now.

Yes - they wil be the SOLE owners of the new Stadium. The only thing we get will be some tax payments. They have 100 percent control. Corzine even gave away more things than Codey did. We were intitially supposed to be getting "some money" from selling the naming rights, but we were paying $30 million in infastructure improvements. Then Corzine comes in and looks at the deal, wants a roof on the stadium. The Giants say no - Corzine says okay, what about we give up naming rights to the stadium and you pay for the infastructuere improvemets (which probably won't happen or will be shouldered by Xanadu anyway), and while we're at it - because we're NJ politicians groveling at the feet of a wonderful "NY" team, we'll throw in the complete naming rights of the Meadowlands for. So Jets, want to see where the tax payers of NJ just bought you your practic field?

BTW - Corzine has now come out publicly and says he regrets the deal he made with the Giants. Needless to say Codey was pissed by the comment, because that was the ONLY thing that he worked for while governor.

LOL That's unbelievable. Part of NY ? I guess I overestimated the common NFL fan. Actually, I shouldn't be surprised. LOL
Not surprising really though. When theh whole thing was going on about the Super Bowl being held at the Meadowlands, did CNN have NJ representatives on the show to discuss it? No - they had New YORK representatives, who had no say whatsoever in what happens at the Meadowlands. This was on "Talk Back Live". I wrote a message to them, which they read on the air, which basically said that it was NJ who would be holding the Super Bowl NOT New York. The New York representatives of course said well eveyrone considers it NY and for all purposes it is NY so it was a mute point.

When the Giants were in the Super Bowl the last time, who were the friendly political bets made between? NJ and the opposing state congressmen? hell no - they bet with the NY representatives! :mad: The thing is with these friendly bets, is they bet with things that promote the state. NJ was shut out and got ZERO publicity for OUR team being in the Super Bowl, NY got it all. Mayor Koch refused to give the Giants a Super Bowl party when they won under his adminstration, he told the media, they're a NJ team, let's see Tom Kean give them a ticker tape parade in Trenton. Well the Super Bowl party wasn't in Trenton, it was at the Meadowlands, but WE GAVE THEM their party!

JerseyDevil
12-10-2006, 04:38 PM
Well just great - the wonderful "this stadium will not cost New Jersey taxpayers any money" stadium is now reported to be costing New Jersey 200 MILLION DOLLARS and to top it off, the damn teams refuse to promote New JERSEY!! :mad:

NFL clears $300M for new stadium in Meadowlands
BY MATTHEW FUTTERMAN STAR-LEDGER STAFF

The National Football League owners approved $300 million in financing yesterday for the planned stadium in the Meadowlands the Jets and Giants will share, paving the way for construction of the most expensive sports venue in the country.

The vote by the 32 team owners at their meeting in Dallas ends two months of rancorous debate that pitted small market owners with misgivings about providing so much money to the two New York-area teams against NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell, who desperately wants a new stadium in the metropolitan area.

If the Jets and Giants can agree on a final design for the 81,000-seat stadium — which may not be easy given their rivalry on and off the field — construction could begin in late spring. The facility is expected to open in August 2010.

‘‘This is a major day,’’ Jets owner Woody Johnson said. ‘‘Everyone recognized these kinds of opportunities don’t come around very often. It’s going to be good for everyone.’’

But the teams’ good fortune could cause financial problems for the state.

The site on which the stadium will be built is now public property. But once the teams finalize their lease for the site at the end of the month, it will be considered private land. As a result, the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority, the state agency that operates the Meadowlands Sports Complex, will have to pay off $80 million in debt within 90 days.

Paying off that debt will likely wipe out the last of the $165 million windfall the state received from the developers of the massive Xanadu retail and entertainment center now under construction at the Meadowlands.

‘‘There are a whole series of options for paying off the bonds, but those will have to be discussed with the treasurer’s office and in concert with the governor,’’ said Carl Goldberg, chairman of the sports and exposition authority.

Three years ago, when the Giants first started talking seriously about building a stadium to replace 30-year-old Giants Stadium, the price tag was set at between $600 million and $700 million. Now, the new facility is expected to cost at least $1.2 billion.

By the same token, state officials who supported the new stadium said last year the only cost to taxpayers would be $120 million in debt the state will have to pay off on Giants Stadium once it is razed. Revenues from the stadium now cover the debt payments.

The additional $80 million brings the total cost for taxpayers to $200 million.

Goldberg said the state may use the remaining money from Xanadu’s developers — about $75 million — to cover part of that cost. It’s unclear how the state would make up the difference, he said.

Despite the additional costs, even state officials who have been critical of the project were optimistic yesterday.

‘‘I’m pleased things appear to really be coming together for the sports complex,’’ said George Zoffinger, the sports authority’s chief executive, who has been a critic of the stadium project for years because the state is turning over a profitable business to private interests. Plans for the sports complex now call for Xanadu to open in 2008. The next year, a rail link with stops at Xanadu and the new stadium will bring mass transit to the Meadowlands for the first time. And in 2010 the new stadium, with a modern lighting system that will make it glow blue for the Giants and Green for the Jets, will host its first games.

‘‘We are very enthused,’’ Goldberg said. ‘‘This was arguably the last major obstacle to the start of construction, and we are anxious to take the next step.’’

In a statement, Johnson and Giants owners John Mara and Steve Tisch said their goal is to create a stadium that will revolutionize and enhance the experience for the fans.

‘‘This modern and technologically advanced stadium will bring about a new excitement for football in the region and throughout the league, and be a showcase for the grandeur and fun that NFL gamedays offer,’’ the two said.

BTW - this $200 million dollar price tag doesn't even take up all the stuff that New Jersey currently collects money from, such as concert tickets and other special events. This will now all go into the football teams pockets. This also doesn't include the $100 million that NJ spent to buy the Jets the land for their practice facility. It's amazing - all this money going to teams who don't even want to acknowledge they play here. I can see what they say to New Jersey representatives in the negotiating meetings - "New Jersey please bend over!"

Also, an often less reported item - New Jersey gave the Giants the naming rights to the Meadowlands, so the Meadowlands will no longer be called the Meadowlands. I wonder what will happen if New York decides to buy the naming rights and it ends up being called the "New York Sports Complex". :roll: Unlike New Jersey, New York understands marketing and the power of promoting a positive image.

If you can't wear NJ then Go ACROSS THE RIVER!!!!

A-Line
12-12-2006, 11:02 PM
I don't even have words right now.

MABL
12-14-2006, 06:55 AM
You know what else grinds my gears ? When the Fox NFL pregame crew (you know, Jimmy Johnson, Bradshaw, et al.) come to Giants Stadium when they are doing a Giant game, but always say they are in NEW YORK. WTF ? They are right outside the stadium. Get those guys a map ! I bet they even stay in Jersey, fly into Newark, etc., and only step foot in the city if they go after the game.

Jersey Warren
12-20-2006, 09:19 AM
It even sounds better because the "J" in Jersey and the "soft G" in Giants alliterate better that York and Giants. (Same with Jets.)

Because of the Jets' former home in Shea Stadium, I always thought of them as being more of a New York team than the Giants. Yes, I know the Giants used to play in Yankee Stadium but that was much more in the past, about 30 years ago.

I always thought they should have a bowl game in Shea Stadium which is in Flushing, and call it the Toilet Bowl! :D (Get it: Flushing: Toilet!)

JerseyDevil
01-16-2007, 04:11 PM
I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this - DropNY.com (http://www.dropny.com). Not all the links work - basically just the main page and the store. Need to get some items on what to include, letters, petition, etc. Please give me your ideas and thoughts and let me know what you think of the site.

NJPRIDE
01-16-2007, 05:05 PM
I understand and support what you are trying to do J.D. but on the site it is filled with N.Y. Giants and N.Y. Jets adds. What gives?:confused:

JerseyDevil
01-16-2007, 08:52 PM
I understand and support what you are trying to do J.D. but on the site it is filled with N.Y. Giants and N.Y. Jets adds. What gives?:confused:
I know it is. I put Google ads on there which basically analyze the page and then present the most appropriate ads. I may end up taking those off and have a donate button, but nobody really donates. Not sure what the best thing would be. Maybe I'll just forget about trying to make any money to support the site.

What do you think of the product design?

Marianita
01-22-2007, 05:49 PM
Hi Nurvingeil, I am glad you confessed to voting NY as I did not want Jersey Devil thinking it was me. LOL. I kind of wondered myself who had done such a thing. lol. Well needlesstosay I voted for New Jersey, my state atleast in my heart and my annual visits. By the way I am going again in May. Marianita

Marianita
01-22-2007, 05:52 PM
Hi Jersey Devil, I am not surprised that Corzine has a part in this stadium deal. I am sure you know how I voted. Any team in New Jersey should be called New Jersey. Marianita:)

davegering
01-23-2007, 06:08 AM
We have recently Bulked up on the amount OF New Jersey Devils product we carry in our store (another battle that I won). My buyers asked mei f I wanted to carry Jets or Giants product and I said no based on the fact that they refuse to call themselves Jersey. The RUTGERS product is still selling great. Its fun to see the pride that the Football team has created.

A-Line
01-26-2007, 01:19 PM
We have recently Bulked up on the amount OF New Jersey Devils product we carry in our store (another battle that I won). My buyers asked mei f I wanted to carry Jets or Giants product and I said no based on the fact that they refuse to call themselves Jersey. The RUTGERS product is still selling great. Its fun to see the pride that the Football team has created.

Is your New Jersey Store in Newark Airport? And if so, is it accessible to everyone -- meaning if I go to the airport to pick up a family member who is coming in on a flight, can I visit your store?

Or is your store only accessible to people who are flying and/or airport employees?

I tried to visit a store in the airport once but security would not let me pass through the security checkpoint because I did not have a plane ticket.

Whereas, for example, at Kennedy Airport in New York, everyone can visit their stores, I believe.

davegering
01-27-2007, 02:27 PM
I am in Terminal A pre security so anyone can come in. i am right accross from the food court. By gates 20-28

JerseyDevil
01-27-2007, 07:45 PM
Here is another example of the misrepresentation of the Giants and Jets -

Skanska clinches US stadium deal (http://www.thelocal.se/6211/20070126/)

Swedish construction group Skanska says it has received an order to build a stadium for the two New York American football teams, the Jets and the Giants.

This was on a swedish news site. New Jersey gets no recognition for these teams whatsoever, yet our tax money continue to go to support them.

Marianita
01-27-2007, 09:17 PM
Hi Dave, That is good to know for next time I get out that way. I think it will work out easier next time now that the baby has arrived. Marianita

JerseyDevil
09-10-2007, 01:23 AM
The Courier Post had the following article online about the new stadium going up in NEW JERSEY for the home of the so-called "New York" Giants and "New York" Jets.

Design unveiled for new Giants, Jets stadium (http://www.courierpostonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070906/NEWS01/709060405)
Thursday, September 6, 2007
By JONATHAN TAMARI
Gannett State Bureau
EAST RUTHERFORD

Giants and Jets fans will have a "grand entrance" with images that change to suit each team, better access to parking and a rail line to get to games at the football teams' new stadium, team officials said Wednesday as they unveiled the site's design.

State officials said the $1.3 billion stadium, paid for by the two teams, will be a worthwhile investment for the state.

But fans can expect parking headaches for the next three years of construction, and the state is slated to spend more than $300 million for infrastructure improvements around the stadium.

Gov. Jon S. Corzine said the stadium will help create 500 permanent jobs, and he and Senate President Richard J. Codey, D-Essex, emphasized that it will keep both teams -- which use New York in their logos and literature -- in New Jersey.

The two officials and executives from the teams and National Football League spoke as yellow cranes dug into piles of dirt behind them. The teams hope to have the 82,500 seat stadium ready for 2010 football season.

The new stadium, the only NFL site to host two teams, will feature a 400-foot long, 40-foot tall "Great Wall" with colors, logos and images that will rotate for each team's home games.

"You will definitely know which team is the home team," said Giants Chairman and Executive Vice President Steve Tisch.

In the existing Giants Stadium that hosts both teams, the Jets are officially "tenants" and play in front of seats that are Giants blue and red. Former Jets star Curtis Martin said the changing face will make for a new game-day feel.

"Your stadium is your home, and you're kind of proud of your home," Martin said. "The Giants have always had their own stadium but for us, as the Jets, to be able to have our own stadium, and especially one of this caliber, it's going to be amazing."

The teams also plan to more than triple the number of access lanes for parking, which they hope will ease traffic getting into and out of the stadium. During construction, however, the Meadowlands will lose more than 4,000 parking spots, said New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority Chairman Carl Goldberg, likely leading to a rougher ride to the games. The exposition authority will have off-site parking and shuttles, he said. He advised fans to arrive for games early.

The first true test of the construction's impact will come Sunday, the first weekend of the NFL's regular season. The Jets host the New England Patriots at 1 p.m.

The stadium is being built near the existing Giants Stadium and will host 20 NFL games per year as well as 80 other events, such as concerts.

Reach Jonathan Tamari at jtamari@gannett.com

They allow for people to post messages and someone posted the following -

Why is it so important that people want the Giants and Jets to change their name to NJ?
They represent the NY metropolitan area. Half of NJ supports the Eagles, regardless of what those 2 teams call themselves. No matter what they call themselves NJ still receives tax revenue from the stadium every Sunday

I responded with the following...

It does matter whether New JERSEY teams show some pride in the state they play in and have played in for the past 30 years. If a Detroit team decided it was going to relocate to Windsor Canada and keep it's "Detroit" name - there would be outrage by Canadians. In New Jersey the attitude is that we don't matter and we're just a subsection of New York - but we are NOT! it is outrageous that these teams get 100's of millions of dollars from us, yet NY gets all the credit. I've lived in six states and been to 40 and because everything that occurs in northern New Jersey being marketed as "New York", ie "Live Earth New York", American Idol - New York, Giants and Jets and now the Red Bulls - people have insisted to me that New Jersey is a part of New York.

If it doesn't matter then the teams should properly represent where they play and who ACTUALLY supports them.

I will not support either the Giants or Jets until they remove that ridiculous NY off their uniform and show some pride at where they play and call home. I hope neither one ever wins the Super Bowl again as long as they wear NY on their uniforms and play in NJ. As you pointed out, we get the tax dollar - which we get either way - so I say let NY be associated with a losing team.

One thing people don't get though, is that the true dollars are in the marketing generated - why do you think businesses spend 100's of millions of dollars to get their name on a stadium? It's not the tax dollars made from the games that's important, it's the advertising dollars to bring visitors in.. Look at how many people worship Madison Square Garden. Look at the image that the Yankees give to NY. Everyone in the world knows about New York and wants to go to NY and a lot of times they want to see a Yankee game or see Madison Square Garden. Hardly anyone even knows New Jersey exists because we get so tied together with New York. Everytime "New York" mentioned on TV or the radio in relation to the Giants and Jets, that's free advertising for New York.

Another thing - I find it ironic that the Jets have been pissed off that they have had to play in a stadium that was never really theirs, with their rivals name on it, yet they saw NO PROBLEM with putting NY on their uniform - which is New Jersey's rival!

http://www.AboutNewJersey.com
http://forum.AboutNewJersey.com
http://www.DropNY.com

BTW - Did everyone notice that it was ONLY New Jersey representatives at the Stadium unveiling? Why weren't there any Naw Yawkas there? Oh yeah - I know why - the Giants and Jets are NOT New York teams and Naw Yawk has NOTHING to do with them!!!!

Side note: I came up with the new slogan - "Be Proud of Where You Play - Wear NJ"

A-Line
09-11-2007, 05:55 PM
BTW - Did everyone notice that it was ONLY New Jersey representatives at the Stadium unveiling? Why weren't there any Naw Yawkas there? Oh yeah - I know why - the Giants and Jets are NOT New York teams and Naw Yawk has NOTHING to do with them!!!!

Side note: I came up with the new slogan - "Be Proud of Where You Play - Wear NJ"

I didn't get a chance to see the official unveiling. But I love how that it was all New Jersey reps there. If only they had the guts to call the teams out on their NY name.

That's a fantastic slogan! It would make a great T-shirt!

A-Line
09-11-2007, 06:10 PM
Here are three New Jersey Giants T-shirts that I own.

JerseyDevil
09-11-2007, 08:34 PM
A-Line, glad to see you back. So where did you get those shirts? They look like they might be old, from when the Giants first moved to NJ almost. Just wondering. I like the classic "NJ" one - I've worked with reworking the Giants logo form the NY to the NJ. It doesn't take much at all.

In regards to your previous comment - I agree - i wish our politicians would get a backbone and stand up to the Giants, Jets and now Red Bulls. Basically Codey wanted to get the Giants to stay at any cost, that's why we ended up giving them everything. BTW - the cost of infrastructure improvements to the Meadowlands went up supposedly from $30 million to $300 Million. But yet - remember - it's not costing the NJ tax payers anything to build the stadium. :roll:

Marianita
09-12-2007, 12:59 AM
Hi ALine. How can I get one of those tee shirts?:wave:

A-Line
09-12-2007, 11:46 PM
The two T-shirts with the 1970s-90s "GIANTS" helmet logo are old; they were probably made sometime in the mid-1980s.

The T-shirt with the "NJ" logo, I bought it in 2000 or thereabouts. That was the year the team switched back to the old "ny" helmet logo. There was an article in The Record that year about this guy who was so mad that the team went back to the old logo that he had these T-shirts made up with the "NJ" logo and the name "New Jersey Giants." The article gave the ordering info, and I ordered a couple.

A short time later, I believe, The Record ran another article saying how lawyers representing the Giants organization told the guy to stop selling those T-shirts or else they would sue him because they own the rights to the "ny" logo, and he was tampering with it. Or something to that effect.

I still hate how the team went back to the old "ny" logo.

Same with the Jets. I'd rather they stayed with their "JETS" helmet logo that they had in the 1970s-1990s.

Actually I'd really rather that they both change their names to New Jersey. And I make sure I say that to anybody who listens.

JerseyDevil
09-13-2007, 12:15 AM
The two T-shirts with the 1970s-90s "GIANTS" helmet logo are old; they were probably made sometime in the mid-1980s.

The T-shirt with the "NJ" logo, I bought it in 2000 or thereabouts. That was the year the team switched back to the old "ny" helmet logo. There was an article in The Record that year about this guy who was so mad that the team went back to the old logo that he had these T-shirts made up with the "NJ" logo and the name "New Jersey Giants." The article gave the ordering info, and I ordered a couple.

A short time later, I believe, The Record ran another article saying how lawyers representing the Giants organization told the guy to stop selling those T-shirts or else they would sue him because they own the rights to the "ny" logo, and he was tampering with it. Or something to that effect.

Yeah - I supported that guy. I had a thing about him on the main part of the website, before the messageboard was added and before the AboutNewJersey.com went through a complete redesign. I don't think the Giants could have won though - because it's protected as free speech. Just like Mattel lost the case against Aqua's song "Barbie Girl". For instance - people who don't like Wal-Mart - me being one of those people - can take their logo and make it into one with a message against Wal-Mart. I was thinking tonight if it was me - I would like to fight against the Giants, Jets and Red Bulls - but I would really need a lawyer who would take the case on for free for the exposure. I don't think the teams have a leg to stand on when it comes to New Jerseyans modifying their logos.

One thing I would like to do is take the Giants, Jets and Red Bulls to court for false advertising. They are falsely advertising themselves as New York teams - when they are not. That case probably is less likely to win though.

I still hate how the team went back to the old "ny" logo.

Same with the Jets. I'd rather they stayed with their "JETS" helmet logo that they had in the 1970s-1990s.

Actually I'd really rather that they both change their names to New Jersey. And I make sure I say that to anybody who listens.
I tell everyone the same thing. What's so disturbing is how so many people don't care and don't even understand. I told someone - companies spend 100's of millions of dollars to get their name on a stadium because it's a form of marketing. Having a team carry your name is worth far more than that - and while New Jersey tax money is used to support these teams, New York gets all the marketing benefits. Everyone that plays an NFL video game, every shirt in the stores that carried NY, every newspaper article that mentions "NY" and on and on is free advertising for New York. :mad: I just don't know why people do not understand such a simple concept as marketing.

You would think that people would understand a lot more - with what has happened with one year of winning for Rutgers. Rutgers has had a 75% increase in campus tours this year, and a $25 million increase in donations to the school. Rutgers should be showing people the power of marketing - the power of winning. When people not around this area think about going to a Giants or Jets game - they aren't thinking - I'm going to go to New Jersey and see the Giants play. They say - I'm going to New YORK to see the Giants play. New Jersey to them doesn't exist and is definitely not associated with the Giants, Jets or Red Bulls because New Jersey is never mentioned.

BTW - it's so funny how the Giants and Jets have made people completely forget that they ever had logos without NY on them. I was talking to my cousin about how the Giants have never won a Super Bowl while wearing NY. And he said - well what about in the 80's and 90's. I told him - their logo didn't contain the NY - it only had "Giants". I never want the Giants, Jets and now the Red Bulls to win any championship game while playing in New Jersey and wearing NY on their uniforms. I wish our politicians had the backbone to take a stand for New Jersey - but I'm sure they get handouts from NY.

Just in case people aren't familiar with the lyrics to Aqua's Barbie Girl song - here are the lyrics...

Aqua
Aquarium (1997)
Barbie Girl

- Hi Barbie!
- Hi Ken!
- You wanna go for a ride?
- Sure, Ken!
- Jump in!
- Ha ha ha ha!

I'm a Barbie girl in the Barbie world
Life in plastic, it's fantastic
You can brush my hair, undress me everywhere
Imagination, life is your creation

Come on, Barbie, let's go party

I'm a blonde single girl in the fantasy world
Dress me up, take your time, I'm your dollie
You're my doll, rock and roll, feel the glamour and pain
Kiss me here, touch me there, hanky-panky

You can touch, you can play
You can say I'm always yours, oooh whoa

Come on, Barbie, let's go party, ha ha ha, yeah
Come on, Barbie, let's go party, oooh, oooh

Make me walk, make me talk, do whatever you please
I can act like a star, I can beg on my knees
Come jump in, be my friend, let us do it again
Hit the town, fool around, let's go party

You can say I'm always yours
You can say I'm always yours

- Oh, I'm having so much fun!
- Well, Barbie, we're just getting started!
- Oh, I love you Ken!

You can watch the video on YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEzh10_xoqw

Mattel wasn't too happy with the way the song portrayed Barbie - but the judged ruled against Mattel...

Finally, We Can Enjoy 'Barbie Girl' With A Clear Conscience (http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1456285/20020725/aqua.jhtml)
It's parody, not trademark infringement, court asserts.
Jul 25 2002 6:24 PM EDT
By Jennifer Vineyard

Saying that "the parties are advised to chill," a federal appeals court judge declined on Wednesday to reinstate Mattel's 1997 suit against MCA Records over Aqua's pop hit "Barbie Girl," which the toy company had claimed was both trademark infringement and defamation.

"If this were a sci-fi melodrama, it might be called Speech-Zilla meets Trademark Kong," wrote Ninth U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals judge Alex Kozinski, in his upholding of a lower court ruling that threw out Mattel's suit as well as MCA's countersuit for defamation (see "Aqua Triumphant In 'Barbie Girl' Lawsuit, To Release Home Video In June").

Mattel had originally claimed that "Barbie Girl" sullied their iconic doll's image with sexual innuendo. In the song, the female vocalist refers to herself as a "blonde bimbo girl" and sings, "I'm a Barbie girl, in my Barbie world/ Life in plastic, it's fantastic/ You can brush my hair, undress me everywhere." A male singer, whom she calls Ken, exhorts her during the bridge to "go party." The toymaker also said the song confused listeners into thinking the company backed it.

The ruling deemed the song a parody and protected under free speech.

"The problem arises when trademarks transcend their identifying purpose," Kozinski wrote for the three-judge panel. "Some trademarks enter our public discourse and become an integral part of our vocabulary. How else do you say that something's 'the Rolls Royce of its class'? What else is a quick fix, but a Band-Aid? Does the average consumer know to ask for aspirin as 'acetyl salicylic acid'? ... Once imbued with such expressive value, the trademark becomes a word in our language and assumes a role outside the bounds of trademark law."

Further, the judge ruled, the lyrics confirm that the use of the trademark is designed to convey a message about the song and not to identify the product's producer. "If we see a painting titled 'Campbell's Chicken Noodle Soup,' we're unlikely to believe that Campbell's has branched into the art business," Kozinski wrote. "Nor, upon hearing Janis Joplin croon 'Oh Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz?,' would we suspect that she and the carmaker had entered into a joint venture."

MCA had defended the song as "social commentary" and had stickered Aqua's album Aquarium with a disclaimer that noted the song was not "created or approved" by the maker of Barbie dolls.

"This decision reiterates the power of free speech," MCA President Jay Boberg said in a statement. "This ruling ... affirms our artists' rights to express themselves freely. For that reason, MCA was committed to defending this litigation to the furthest extent necessary to ensure our artists' freedoms."

A Mattel spokesperson was not available for comment.

The development of the NJ Giants shirts were a political message - or at the very least - commentary on what the Giants TRULY are not what they pretend to be - thus it is protected under law amd the Giants didn't have a leg to stand on.

Marianita
09-13-2007, 11:27 AM
Hi Jersey Devil, That is awful about that Barbie Doll song. As for the New Jersey stadium name with NY in it I agree with you but there does not seem to be much that can be done. Change would have to come from the powers that be and I am not sure who that is. Marianita

A-Line
09-13-2007, 09:51 PM
As for the New Jersey stadium name with NY in it I agree with you but there does not seem to be much that can be done. Change would have to come from the powers that be and I am not sure who that is. Marianita

I do agree that after so many years of having two New York-named NFL teams playing in the New Jersey Meadowlands, it sure can seem like not much can be done about getting them to change their names. The Giants, in particular, have been very stubborn in even discussing the topic. Just ask Jersey Devil about his brief conversation with a Giants official at a conference in this state last year. I believe the Giants guy pretty much brushed him off when Jersey Devil broached the subject.

But that shouldn't keep us from talking with each other about how absurd the whole thing is.

Imagine if when the Nets basketball team moves to New York in a few years -- as they are planning to do -- they decide to keep calling themselves the New Jersey Nets. ... New Yorkers would go bonkers! The people would never let them get away with it!

That's how it should be here.

I honestly think that if more New Jerseyans took time out to really think about it, they would realize how crazy it is that the Jets and Giants pretty much refuse to even acknowledge us -- after all the support we've given them all these years!

Make signs, shirts, bumper stickers ... whatever it takes.

NEW JERSEY GIANTS
NEW JERSEY JETS

JerseyDevil
09-13-2007, 10:10 PM
I do agree that after so many years of having two New York-named NFL teams playing in the New Jersey Meadowlands, it sure can seem like not much can be done about getting them to change their names. The Giants, in particular, have been very stubborn in even discussing the topic. Just ask Jersey Devil about his brief conversation with a Giants official at a conference in this state last year. I believe the Giants guy pretty much brushed him off when Jersey Devil broached the subject.

yes - it was Steve Tisch, co-owner of the Gaints. A couple of years ago he was the key note speaker for the Governors Conference on Tourism - that's the New Jersey governor. Anyway - he completely brushed me off and said "I'm telling you right now - NEVER HAPPENING" and then turned his back on me. This is the person who was just on stage saying how great New Jersey is and how marketing is so important for the state. They have no respect for our state. They view themselves as a NY team who happens to play in New Jersey, while having their hands out for our tax dollars. Even during the playoffs last year they made it a point to leave on the bus from Times Square, unlike normal teams that leave from their stadiums - like the Yankees.

But that shouldn't keep us from talking with each other about how absurd the whole thing is.

What we really need is make it so it's so unpopular for them to be carrying the NY logo on their uniforms that they are forced to change them. The problem is that not enough New Jerseyans have a sense of self pride.

Imagine if when the Nets basketball team moves to New York in a few years -- as they are planning to do -- they decide to keep calling themselves the New Jersey Nets. ... New Yorkers would go bonkers! The people would never let them get away with it!

I honestly think that if more New Jerseyans took time out to really think about it, they would realize how crazy it is that the Jets and Giants pretty much refuse to even acknowledge us -- after all the support we've given them all these years!

As you say - New York would never allow it. Ratner already said that Brooklyn - or as I like to call them - Crooklyn - has a better name recognition and reputation than New Jersey. That's why I'm on the fence for supporting the Nets. Yes they carry NJ on their uniforms - but only grudgingly. New Jerseyans need to get a backbone and stand up for their state. Show some home pride!

I'm a New Jerseyan FOR New JERSEY and only New Jersey. Many people think I'm a fool for my state pride. My cousin has even questioned why I get pissed if he says things negative about New Jersey (I"m not talking about constructive criticism - I do that all the time - but basically statements like "New Jersey sucks", "There is nothing to do here", etc). But on Power of 10 this week with Drew Carey - one of the questions was "What percentage of American feel personally offended by criticism of America" - The answer was 62% I'm no different when it comes to New Jersey. I feel personally attacked when New Jersey is attacked. What is wrong with a sense of pride in where you live? as I often say - I'm a New Jerseyan first - an American second.

NEW JERSEY GIANTS
NEW JERSEY JETS
Last year - I wore my "DropNY.com sweatshirt for the first day for one of the tours. There were so many positive comments. I've even had people at Continental Airlines Arena make comments during a Devils game. I was waiting in line and heard people laughing behind me - I turned and they said "we love your sweatshirt". See - there are New Jerseyans that care. But they don't care enough to stop going to their games.

A-Line
09-13-2007, 11:09 PM
yes - it was Steve Tisch, co-owner of the Gaints. A couple of years ago he was the key note speaker for the Governors Conference on Tourism - that's the New Jersey governor. Anyway - he completely brushed me off and said "I'm telling you right now - NEVER HAPPENING" and then turned his back on me. This is the person who was just on stage saying how great New Jersey is and how marketing is so important for the state. They have no respect for our state.

Man, if Tisch said something like that to me, I would've told him off right there! ... I'm not saying you should've done that. I'm just saying that's how pissed off I would've been.

I wonder what more people in this state would think of the Giants if they really knew how the team felt about us!

The problem is that not enough New Jerseyans have a sense of self pride.

I know exactly where you're coming from. I've spoken online with lots of other Giants fans from Jersey and have been met with indifference plenty of times when I bring up the whole New York name issue.

But I've also discovered that there have been a lot of people who feel as we do -- that the Giants and Jets should be called New Jersey.

It's those people who give me hope that all is not lost.

Last year - I wore my "DropNY.com sweatshirt for the first day for one of the tours. There were so many positive comments. I've even had people at Continental Airlines Arena make comments during a Devils game. I was waiting in line and heard people laughing behind me - I turned and they said "we love your sweatshirt". See - there are New Jerseyans that care. But they don't care enough to stop going to their games.

New Jersey Devils fans are probably the most proud "New Jersey" fans in the state. They have been through a lot. As you probably know, back in 1995, when the team was about to win its first championship, the owner at the time, John McMullen, was threatening to move the team to Nashville. One big reason why the Devils stayed in New Jersey is because of the team's diehard fans and the pressure they put on then-Gov. Whitman to make a deal. It also helped that McMullen was from New Jersey, and he really didn't want to move the team.

And today's current Devils owner Mr. Vanderbeek is also adamant about keeping the team here.

So I'm not surprised that your T-shirt got such a positive reaction at the game. If anyone does, Devils fans have a real connection to this state.

Those are the types of people who prove that there really are New Jersey sports fans in this state who have pride.

I should know, I've been a Devils fans since the team came here in 1982. And I still have my ticket stub and game program from the team's first-ever win -- which just happened to come against, believe it or not, the hated New York Rangers!

Go New Jersey!

NEW JERSEY DEVILS
NEW JERSEY GIANTS
NEW JERSEY JETS
& (for now)
NEW JERSEY NETS

A-Line
02-12-2008, 03:01 PM

I was at Newark Airport yesterday morning and visited your New Jersey Store for the first time. Nice place! You really offer a lot of stuff. I bought a couple of refrigerator magnets and saw a few other items -- books, shirts, postcards, photo albums, and other magnets -- that I would like to purchase some day.

One aspect of your store that I got a kick out of was your one little section that offered a few New York items for sale. Usually it is the other way around at these types of gift shops -- tons of New York stuff with a small section of New Jersey stuff. ... Your store has tons of New Jersey stuff with a small section of New York stuff!

Again, nice store!

Marianita
02-12-2008, 11:29 PM
Hi A Line. I too visited the Jersey Store. I loved it, so many nice things all Jersey. I also had lunch with Jersey Devil and Dave and his wife. My son and daughter-in-law and little Christian were there too. I sure do miss NJ and will visit the Jersey Store when I go back. Take care. Marianita:)

davegering
02-15-2008, 04:52 AM
Thanks for the coments about the store. I guess you were there on Tuesday which is my day off. I hope my associate took good care of you.

miki2008
02-25-2008, 11:49 PM
I think that it should be: New York Giants

A-Line
02-26-2008, 02:58 PM

Why?

JerseyDevil
02-26-2008, 10:16 PM
Why?
I think they may be a spammer to get their signature indexed by Google. People often post one liners that deal with the subject of the post. I usually delete them if they are REALLY general. I've had people come on and just post "that is really interesting" or "you really got me thinking about things" in about 20 different threads. Those kind immediately get deleted. This poster seems to have been more specific, so I'm first seeing if they respond at all.

Note: I deleted their signature unless they come back to post and participate in actual conversation. It may seem harsh, but you would NOT believe how much spam I have to delete. I don't want to encourage any spammers to use these tactics on this board.

beatman10
02-27-2008, 02:49 PM
to subsidize NY sports teams? Last I heard, our state is broke! A good way
to start trimming the fat is to kill the new Giant stadium deal. They want to play for NYC? Then let them move to NY, and let NY foot the bill!!:mad:

JerseyDevil
03-03-2010, 10:47 PM
Seems like Trenton may finally be coming to their senses....

N.J. Sports Authority audit is sought by lawmakers amid mounting debt (http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2010/03/nj_sen_majority_leader_barbara.html)
By Ted Sherman/The Star-Ledger
March 03, 2010, 9:55PM

TRENTON — Senate Majority Leader Barbara Buono today called for a state audit of the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority, saying the state agency’s books were in such disarray they could not be trusted.

In a special hearing of Senate Legislative Oversight Committee, Buono (D-Middlesex) said the agency’s financial statements were "incomprehensible," filled with randomly allocated expenses and revenues that she likened to creative accounting to show a profit.

"It doesn’t make any sense to rely on these statements," said Buono.
She said that only that an independent examination by the State Auditor would restore her faith in the authority’s reports.

Authority officials defended their budget statements, saying they are no different than in past years.

The hearing came in the wake of a report by the governor’s transition team that found the authority’s business model was broke.

The authority today told Buono’s committee that it would seek a $30 million state bailout to help bridge its growing budget gap. While much of the agency’s debt is already being picked up by the state, authority officials said this marked the first time they have asked for assistance covering operating expenses.

"We’re in a difficult financial position," acknowledged Dennis Robinson, president and CEO of the authority.

Created by the Legislature in 1971, the sports authority operates the Meadowlands sports complex in East Rutherford — which includes the Meadowlands racetrack and the Izod Center arena.

Losses have been mounting in recent years, mostly as a result of falling horse racing revenues that once served as a cash cow for the state, leaving the authority awash in red ink.

The additional state funding the authority was tied to the state’s contract with the Jets and Giants in connection with the New Meadowlands Stadium, which is expected to generate added economic benefits — such as additional sales tax revenues — to the state.

Robinson said the contract provides for half those additional revenues to be directed back to the sports authority.

Buono, though, said the authority was in this position in part because it had cut a sweetheart deal with the two NFL teams to keep them in New Jersey at any cost. Giants Stadium had been generating $20 million in annual revenues. Instead, the two NFL teams, which financed the new stadium, are now obligated for just $6.3 million in lease payments.

"Maybe I just don’t get it," she said. "Whose interest are we serving?"
Robinson defended the contract, and said the agency has been cutting costs and continues to generate revenue.

Resolution of the authority’s financial problems, though, still rests with addressing the horse racing losses and the competition from outside the state that will only make things worse.

"Unfortunately, the current financial structure in place since 1971 can no longer support the financial, operating, capital and contractual requirements of the authority," he remarked.

To bad it's a little to late - Codey screwed New Jersey over and now we have to live with the debt and consequences.

Marianita
03-04-2010, 01:31 AM

NEW JERSEY GIANTS
NEW JERSEY JETS
I don't see what the New Yorkers could do about it. It is a personal right to keep the New Jersey logo. True, it may cause trouble but this sort of thing is seen all the time if you think about it. If I am a new Jersean I am going to remain as such and refuse to change. I left my heart in New Jersey and have numerous shirts and tote bags and magazines to prove it. I am not going to make any changes. Think about it. I cannot see anyone changing their logo for anything.

A-Line
03-04-2010, 08:46 AM
I don't see what the New Yorkers could do about it. It is a personal right to keep the New Jersey logo. True, it may cause trouble but this sort of thing is seen all the time if you think about it. If I am a new Jersean I am going to remain as such and refuse to change. I left my heart in New Jersey and have numerous shirts and tote bags and magazines to prove it. I am not going to make any changes. Think about it. I cannot see anyone changing their logo for anything.
New Yorkers would raise holy hell if the Nets moved to Brooklyn and kept the "New Jersey" name. There would be tons of criticism. The fans, the media, the politicians -- they would all put so much pressure on the team to change its name that it would be unbearable.

The Nets know this. As a matter of fact, the team has already removed the words "New Jersey" from their uniforms, as of last year, and removed most mentions of New Jersey from their team Web site ... and they aren't even moving for another two years, minimum!

JerseyDevil
03-04-2010, 10:58 AM
New Yorkers would raise holy hell if the Nets moved to Brooklyn and kept the "New Jersey" name. There would be tons of criticism. The fans, the media, the politicians -- they would all put so much pressure on the team to change its name that it would be unbearable.

The Nets know this. As a matter of fact, the team has already removed the words "New Jersey" from their uniforms, as of last year, and removed most mentions of New Jersey from their team Web site ... and they aren't even moving for another two years, minimum!
Exactly! And only New Jersey rolls over and tells our teams and any events that take place in New jersey - you want to piss on us and be called New York, fine with us. At least you are in New Jersey.

I was at a Meadowlands event where the president of the NJSEA was the keynote speaker, I went up to him afterward and mentioned it. He claimed it didn't matter, that everyone knows that they play in New Jersey. he also claimed to know NOTHING about the Earth Day concerts being promoted as New York. Although he was not president at that time - he most likely knew it. To the group, he also touted how the Giants Stadium was the ONLY sports stadium to be built without public money. I went up to some people I knew afterward who had personally congratulated him and went over the NUMEROUS things he left out from that statement, like forgiving the Giants 100's of millions in back lease payments they owed the state on the old Stadium, or NJ no longer collecting the money on the ticket sales of other events, such as concerts and such that the state WAS collecting with the old stadium. There is so much that Codey gave away in this deal to the Giants and Jets you could sail a cargo tanker through it - FULLY LOADED.

Now the politicians have finally decided that this deal may not have been the best for New Jersey. Just now??? This thread is from 2005!!!!

njriverman
03-22-2010, 09:59 AM
There is a lot of chatter on 660 the Fan about the ticket prices, I havent heard any on the name issue.

A-Line
03-22-2010, 10:20 AM
There is a lot of chatter on 660 the Fan about the ticket prices, I havent heard any on the name issue.
Sadly, the Giants and Jets -- but particularly the Giants -- have effectively quashed any attempt by fans to have the team names changed. Pretty much their attitude is "It's our team, and we can call it whatever the heck we want to call it."

It's been 34 years (Giants) and 26 years (Jets), respectively, and most fans who at one time cared immensely have given up the fight. Some have accepted the New York names, grudgingly, and continue to support either team. Most others simply became fans of out-of-state teams -- part of the reason why there are so many fans of the opposing team in Giants Stadium on any particular game day.

And then there are a few fans, such as myself and a few others, who just cannot bring ourselves to sit idly by. And who never hesitate to point out the injustice being done to New Jersyans by the New York-named sports teams.

It is what it is, but it sucks and I hate it.

Marianita
03-23-2010, 01:00 PM
Hi A Line. This is a problem that calls for a comprmise although I cannot figure what it would be. Unless the New Jersyans are willing to change their name. I don't think they would so there is going to be problems. Personally I don't know why the New Yorkers would make such a fuss about it and besides the fuss would die down after they did raise hell. I feel that the New Jerseans have a right to keep their name and to be proud of where they come from.
If it were me I would not change my name. It is probably stubborn pride but I wouldn't do it. I do not see anything that can be done about this situation. But as Jersey Devil said, ''We can talk about the absurdity of it.
Marianita